World Cup

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

World Cup

Post by Coyote »

Since it is now here... And I know there are football fans out there...

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: World Cup

Post by skinzfan23 »

One problem that is not the "real football"....sorry just can't get into soccer.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

If the U.S. was a serious contender in the WC it would easily catch on here. But rooting for a team that usually gets eliminated really early in the cup is lame.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

FIFA is the most corrupt organization in modernized sports. Qatar won their World Cup bid from bribes and are building new stadiums with slave labor, its absolutely disgusting.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know some are really excited for this. Not me. I played soccer for years growing up (my Mom was born and raised in Liverpool), but I am just not a fan like I am of others sports. It would be fine if the US was a contender but I would still not follow.

I think there is a ceiling on soccer in the US. Where as the best basketball, football, baseball and hockey professional leagues are in the US, for soccer that is not the case. The MLS is a feeder league. I think that has an impact here.

Greg
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

That's so true.. perhaps if the U.S. had a comparable league to the English Premiere League it would be easier to get involved between cups. As far I'm concerned the MLS is basically minor league soccer.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't believe in our lifetime that MLS or soccer in the US will have the financial backing that the NBA, MLB and NFL have. Its all about the money.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I think the quality of the MLS has made great strides in the last few years in both talent and even facilities. Is it a tier 1 or even a tier 2 league yet? Heavens no, but it is improving each year which is great to see. Even the fanbases are starting to grow, heck Kansas City has an amazing one (and an amazing stadium).
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Didn't the OWH have an article yesterday about whether Omaha could support a MLS team? I think that would be the only Pro team that could possibly survive a few years in Omaha
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:I think the quality of the MLS has made great strides in the last few years in both talent and even facilities. Is it a tier 1 or even a tier 2 league yet? Heavens no, but it is improving each year which is great to see. Even the fanbases are starting to grow, heck Kansas City has an amazing one (and an amazing stadium).
Yeah I think MLS has found it's footing. They were smart to go to 20k stadiums that fit their fan base. I think of them in college terms as a mid-major league.

Sporting KC does have an amazing stadium.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Didn't the OWH have an article yesterday about whether Omaha could support a MLS team? I think that would be the only Pro team that could possibly survive a few years in Omaha
Creighton's Coach Bolowich thinks that we couldn't support an MLS team. I can't remember which article it was, but the quote was in there. I think it was in Shatel's column/drivel.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We needed to be on the MLS train way earlier. I don't remember the exact numbers, but a few years ago you had to pay the league some $20 million to start a team and that fee is up to $80 million now. There are also a ton of other cities way further in the process than us and I know we think TD might work, but cities across the country are providing soccer specific stadiums for teams and that is what the league wants.

We needed to be proactive about MLS 10 years ago, it wont happen now.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:We needed to be on the MLS train way earlier.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but a few years ago you had to pay the league some $20 million to start a team and that fee is up to $80 million now.  There are also a ton of other cities way further in the process than us and I know we think TD might work, but cities across the country are providing soccer specific stadiums for teams and that is what the league wants.

Yeah, the MLS ship has sailed. The only Pro team Omaha would ever have an outside shot at is an NBA one. But that's a .00000000000000000001% chance.

It's not a "Pro" city. I could see a NASL team, though.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:We needed to be on the MLS train way earlier.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but a few years ago you had to pay the league some $20 million to start a team and that fee is up to $80 million now.  There are also a ton of other cities way further in the process than us and I know we think TD might work, but cities across the country are providing soccer specific stadiums for teams and that is what the league wants.

Yeah, the MLS ship has sailed. The only Pro team Omaha would ever have an outside shot at is an NBA one. But that's a .00000000000000000001% chance.

It's not a "Pro" city.  I could see a NASL team, though.
Pro vs Amateur is less of a question than Tuesday vs Saturday. The pro teams that come here want games on the week nights, so they get shelled when the people with kids look at the cost of a game and decide that perhaps not, especially on a school/work night.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Miami just bailed on the proposed MLS team that David Beckham was trying to secure for that market. MLS would still be the closest we could get at $80 million. With the Clippers being sold at $2 billion, even the worst franchise for the NBA is now estimated to be above $500 million. I'm not sure though if we got an MLS franchise we would consider it a "major league" one. I think that is still reserved for NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.

OKC got the Thunder but that was only because they had a billionaire owner that wanted a team. We don't have that here. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. College sports and the AAA are so much more affordable. It's also been interesting to see the impact the NBA has had on the Sooners. I could see the same here depending on the sport with CU, NU and UNO.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
OKC got the Thunder but that was only because they had a billionaire owner that wanted a team.  We don't have that here.
Greg
Ricketts?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
OKC got the Thunder but that was only because they had a billionaire owner that wanted a team.  We don't have that here.
Greg
Ricketts?
They already have their toy to play with in Chicago.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Greg
Ricketts?
They already have their toy to play with in Chicago.
You never know, they could want to expand. Haha.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:FIFA is the most corrupt organization in modernized sports.  Qatar won their World Cup bid from bribes and are building new stadiums with slave labor, its absolutely disgusting.

If only there was a way for the workers to get a registered fake passport or VISA so they can escape.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

'Merica.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pinnacle Bank Arena is showing the Portugal match with free popcorn, $2 hot dogs and $3 beers.