Omaha NBADL?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha NBADL?

Post by Coyote »

Expanding the NBA D-League: Five Potential Locations for New Affiliates
Hard Wood Paroxysm wrote:Therefore, any new D-League teams should emerge in cities that are both close to preexisting NBADL organizations and near their NBA affiliate. Keeping every entity geographically close together is the goal of this project, because traveling by bus is more cost-efficient than chartering an airplane — though ground travel does incur sizable expenses, as shown in this study that cites the costs of ground transportation for an NBA team (which is largely limited to intra-city travel). This piece also weighs proximity to fellow D-League teams more heavily than proximity to NBA affiliate, though the latter is a big factor, as well. D-League teams will be traveling more frequently among other D-League cities than NBA teams will send prospects between the NBA team and D-League affiliate, especially with current roster limitations; therefore, the largest cost consideration stands to be travel between D-League cities.

2. Omaha, Nebraska

Background: As of 2011, Omaha is the 10th largest city without a professional sports team, although fans of the Cornhuskers would argue college football reigns supreme.

The last time Omaha possessed a basketball team was from 1972-1975, when the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, now the Sacramento Kings of the NBA, split time playing at two locations.

Arena: The Centurylink Center, owned by the city, plays home to the Creighton University Bluejays basketball team, and the University of Nebraska-Omaha ice hockey team. It has also welcomed the NCAA men’s basketball and wrestling tournaments since opening back in 2003.

Proximity: It’s just under a three hour trip to Kansas City, creating a regional hub, and to Sioux Falls (where the Skyforce play), and Omaha is approximately seven hours from Oklahoma City, while being a slightly more than a nine hour drive from Fort Wayne, Indiana (Mad Ants).

Suggested NBA affiliate: Minnesota Timberwolves. Minneapolis is only a six-hour trip away from Omaha, so the location is convenient for stashing projects away during the season. Also, it’s just a two hour drive to Des Moines, and Omaha is just a tad under three hours from Sioux Falls, making the largest city in Nebraska an ideal hub for both its potential NBA affiliate and D-League club.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha NBADL?

Post by guitarguy »

If this league is a way of seeing the players who haven't made the starting rotation on the NBA rosters count me in! Would do very well in Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hilarious that they mention the CenturyLink Center when I doubt the D-League would fill up Ralston.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Honestly I hope it does go in at Ralston since the Clink is doing fine financially and would give the Ralston area a boost.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Sioux Falls D league team seems to have done well. Their affiliation is with the Miami Heat. I think last year the Heat took over the coaching and GM positions

Attendance at games was around 3000 average

CL is doing fine now but they are going to take hit on e UNOs hockey team leaves.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Uffda wrote:Sioux Falls D league team seems to have done well. Their affiliation is with the Miami Heat. I think last year the Heat took over the coaching and GM positions

Attendance at games was around 3000 average

CL is doing fine now but they are going to take hit on e UNOs hockey team leaves.
The D League would absolutely be a better fit at Ralston. That is the size of most of the arena's in the league.

Also I am sure the CLink would rather have the dates for concerts, which would draw better and bring more money in than have to lock in dates for a D-League team with maybe 4 thousand fans (Which would be great for the D League).
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Totally agree, Ralston is perfect for this.

CenturyLink is going to feel the loss of UNO.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I have a strange feeling that the CLC will have somewhat replacement for UNO here in the semi-near future. Besides, UNO will have their hockey barn...pretty exciting.

As for the NBADL, I'd like to see Ralston get this as well....just so SOMETHING goes in there.
No posts exist for this topic
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

expletive Ralston. Put it in the city not the exurb.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://upsidemotor.com/2015/10/12/gary- ... ion-omaha/
“We’ve had talks with the NBA and the guys in the D-League and they absolutely want to have a team in Omaha. We’re having trouble getting an affiliation because, unlike baseball, most of these NBA teams want to have their minor league in their backyard. Baseball cares about the market they play in and their popularity. The D-League doesn’t seem to care quite as much about that.

We have to reach for Minnesota, Denver and places further away. There is one team that I would say we’re on the back burner, kind of moving toward the front burner hopefully.”
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Interesting as Sioux Falls Skyforce are affiliated with Miami. Not exactly in Miami's backyard. :D
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Saw that the Bulls just got a D-League team that will play in Hoffman Estates.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Saw that the Bulls just got a D-League team that will play in Hoffman Estates.

Sorry if I should know but what / where is Hoffman Estates?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sorry, it is a suburb of Chicago near O'Hare.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sorry, it is a suburb of Chicago near O'Hare.

Thanks

That makes since.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

What was the root cause of the collapse of the Omaha Racers? They seemed like they got good support locally, then all of a sudden didn't.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:What was the root cause of the collapse of the Omaha Racers? They seemed like they got good support locally, then all of a sudden didn't.
Isiah Thomas
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Isiah Thomas
..."I just got back from Red Lobster"...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Please expand... I was living in Cedar Rapids Ia those years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Please expand... I was living in Cedar Rapids Ia those years.
In '99 he bought the CBA for $10m then bankrupted it. Since his playing career, everything he has touched has gone south, the Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, NY Knicks... that is why he only eats at Red Lobster with Jim Rome.

The Omaha Racers were doing very well in the CBA, but Zeek killed the league, which ended the Racers existence. That is why I never eat at Red Lobster.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Please expand... I was living in Cedar Rapids Ia those years.
In '99 he bought the CBA for $10m then bankrupted it. Since his playing career, everything he has touched has gone south, the Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, NY Knicks... that is why he only eats at Red Lobster with Jim Rome.

The Omaha Racers were doing very well in the CBA, but Zeek killed the league, which ended the Racers existence. That is why I never eat at Red Lobster.

Got it

Some how I never knew he bought the CBA
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Racer's weren't doing that well. I remember the year they won the title. They had a season ticket drive, I think they were trying to get to 3k. They didn't reach it but Idelman plowed ahead with the next season anyway because they had won the title and he could not walk away.

They used to do a lot of 50 cent nights to pump up their crowds. 50 cent beers, hot dogs and pop. I went a ton.

Greg
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

According to Our Sports Central the Denver Nuggets are looking at Omaha as a possible location for a D-league team. They have not decided whether they want to own the team or use the "hybrid affiliate" in which the Nuggets would run the basketball operations but local ownership would run the business. The Nuggets owned their own D-league team called the Colorado 14s in Broomfield for three seasons (2006-09) before the team moved to Frisco TX and became the Texas Legends
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Nuggets potential future in Omaha
Luke Binder - BSNDenver wrote:The Denver Nuggets begin the 2016-2017 season when training camp gets underway at 10 am in Omaha, Nebraska on the campus of Creighton University. Omaha was not on the many people’s radar for potential Nuggets training camp locations. After all, there isn’t exactly a reason to link the Nuggets with Omaha, right?

Upon further review, this isn’t the first time Omaha has been linked with the Nuggets. Last year Omaha was suggested as a potential spot for the Nuggets to have a D-League affiliate after Gary Green, owner of the Omaha Storm Chasers (Triple-A affiliate for the Kansas City Royal), told The Bottom Line host Mike’l Severe that Omaha had “deal with the D-League in place, we just gotta find a franchise now.” Green also mentioned having reached out to Denver and Minnesota about a potential partnership, with one team having Omaha on the back burner of interest with a potential D-League affiliate.

Heading into the 2016-2017, 22 of the 30 NBA teams have an affiliate with the D-League. Obviously, the Nuggets are among those eight teams without one. Yesterday at the Nuggets Media Day in Denver, Josh Kroenke said “there has been a lot of dialogue” about adding a team in the development league, which is interesting given the timing of the Nuggets holding training camp out-of-state in Omaha.

Here is the rest of the quote from Kroenke as reported by BSNDenvers’s Harrison Wind on a potential partnership with a D-League affiliate: “As the NBA as a whole continues to evolve more and more teams are having a direct relationship, more and more teams are having a direct relationship and we look forward to being one of those teams in the near future.” Where there is smoke a fire is usually found nearby, perhaps in Omaha.