What's your favorite metro golf course?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which is your favorite Championship course in the Metro?

Bay Hills
5%
Benson
No votes
Bent Tree
16%
Eagle Hills
11%
Johnny Goodman
5%
Pacific Springs
26%
Players Club
21%
Shoreline
No votes
Stone Creek
No votes
Tiburon
16%

Total votes: 19

icejammer
County Board

What's your favorite metro golf course?

Post by icejammer »

Since the season is upon us, just thought I'd see what non-private courses people most like to play...

(sorry if your favorite isn't on the list, but you can only have so many options, and these were the 10 best championship-type courses in the metro from my playing experience)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Sadly enough, I've only golfed twice up here in the two years since I've moved to Omaha. They have both been at Miracle Hills.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Bay Hills - never played there
Benson - Not bad. Might get the most bang for your buck here.
Bent Tree - If this is the one in CB, it is fantastic.. one I'd definitely recommend. It is unlike any other course in the metro I think, and it has a real European feel.
Eagle Hills - never been
Johnny Goodman - good ol' Gene. This guy always seems like he's in a bad mood. Just call the # you'll see what I'm talking about. Very similar course to Benson I've always thought.
Pacific Springs - pretty nice course. They took the golf range out and it looks as though they'll be putting homes in here with some great views.
Players Club - hope to play here this summer if I'm here.
Shoreline - played here last weekend. The stimp meter must've been running around a 23 that day.. my ball wouldn't stay on the green! Great place with some wonderful housing
Stone Creek - not bad. This is out in Sprawlville, and will eventually transform into a pretty cool place.
Tiburon - one of my favorites.

3 others I'd like to mention are Quarry Oaks, Woodland Hills, and Indian Creek. If you can afford the first two I'd recommend trying them out. Both are out in Eagle, Nebraska..
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I am pretty sure you will not get the Gene experience by calling the #.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I guess everyone here probably already knew that the World's Longest Hole in One (it's in the Guiness Book) ... was shot at Miracle Hills.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

CountOfMC wrote:Bent Tree - If this is the one in CB, it is fantastic.. one I'd definitely recommend. It is unlike any other course in the metro I think, and it has a real European feel.
Yes, that is the one. Definitely a different course. I usually play from the short tees! :wink:
CountOfMC wrote:Pacific Springs - pretty nice course. They took the golf range out and it looks as though they'll be putting homes in here with some great views.
Do they still have the putting course? Played that several years ago, that was fun, on grass; much more fun than Putt-Putt!
CountOfMC wrote:3 others I'd like to mention are Quarry Oaks, Woodland Hills, and Indian Creek. If you can afford the first two I'd recommend trying them out. Both are out in Eagle, Nebraska..
I'd really like to play Quarry Oaks sometime. I've heard good things about it. Also, I sort of forgot about Indian Creek. :oops: Played there the year after they opened, haven't been back since, but I'm sure the course has matured nicely.

And, just for fun, I like to play Elmwood Park. Love those hills. Love driving the first hole with a 2-iron. That's a big boost for the ego. :D
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jhuston wrote:I guess everyone here probably already knew that the World's Longest Hole in One (it's in the Guiness Book) ... was shot at Miracle Hills.
Not anymore. Last year it was beat by an uber-shot in Denver. Something sick like 500+yds.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jhuston wrote:
I guess everyone here probably already knew that the World's Longest Hole in One (it's in the Guiness Book) ... was shot at Miracle Hills.
Hole #10 Down hill in Auagust, before Sprinkler systems so the ground was rock hard and the ball jsut bounced and bounced all the way to the hole.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

FatGuy wrote:I am pretty sure you will not get the Gene experience by calling the #.
You're probably right. I haven't played there in years. He might be gone by now.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

icejammer wrote:Do they still have the putting course? Played that several years ago, that was fun, on grass; much more fun than Putt-Putt!
I'm pretty sure they still do... it's pretty neat huh? Definitely more exciting than putt-putt with those undulating greens.

icejammer wrote:And, just for fun, I like to play Elmwood Park. Love those hills. Love driving the first hole with a 2-iron. That's a big boost for the ego. :D
You can hit a 2 iron? :?: I don't own one but I've heard it's the hardest club to hit. Looks like we got a Tiger, Tiger Woods ya'll. :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Speaking of Tiger Woods I'm related to him on my dad's side. I found this out last year. It's not a wierd distant cousin twice removed thing but a real cousin. If I was a rich as he was I wouldn't want to know all of my family either. :)
DTO
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

There was an article in last Sunday's paper about Gene Johnson's retirement.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

CountOfMC wrote:You can hit a 2 iron? :?: I don't own one but I've heard it's the hardest club to hit. Looks like we got a Tiger, Tiger Woods ya'll. :D
Tiger? Hardly.....I hate my 2-iron. That's why it's a big ego boost just to poke it out there on No. 1 at Elmwood.

Of course, I've driven over the green there with my 3 wood...... :x
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I haven't played any of the newer courses since I returned to Omaha, but having grown up playing at Happy Hollow I compare any course to theirs. I too like the Elmwood course - nice mature trees to get lost in. (can you say slice)
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Coyote wrote:. . . - nice mature trees to get lost in. (can you say slice)
Hey, not only can I say slice, I can do it too! :wink:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

icejammer - I presume you posted this poll because of Sunday's sports section on the Best of Public Golf that never made the online addition. For those who missed it they had Quarry Oaks as the most scenic, Johhny Goodman as #2 most bang for your buck, The Players Club as having the #2 Clubhouse, and Indian Creek as #4 Clubhouse, #3 Pro Shop/Practice Area, and #3 Greens.

I would like to get out to Wild Horse in Gothenburg considering I'll probably never get invited to the private Dismal River or the Sand Hills GC.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

coyote - actually, I didn't see the Sunday sports section (which is rare for me, but then again, I didn't feel like subjecting myself to the cover-to-cover coverage of the NU spring game). It's a good tie-in though. Hopefully, the wife hasn't pitched Sunday's paper, so I can take a look at the poll you mention. Thanks.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It is on page 4C but it was not a poll just Lee Barfnecht's and Stu Pospisil's judgments. "The World Herald Ranks the Midlands' Top Courses in Five Categories" however there are 6 mentioned.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

As others have mentioned, Quarry Oaks should've been included. :? I guess it is out in Ashland... I really like that one.
sokkerdewd
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

sokkerdewd wrote:As others have mentioned, Quarry Oaks should've been included. :? I guess it is out in Ashland... I really like that one.
No it shouldn't; I made the list, and I get to pick which ones I want to! :lol:

I haven't played there yet, and I only included courses I have played, as I had to cut the list off somewhere. Sorry if anyone feels slighted by my omission.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

eomaha.com wrote:I guess everyone here probably already knew that the World's Longest Hole in One (it's in the Guiness Book) ... was shot at Miracle Hills.
So sadly - this 40 year old record was just broken:

Longest Hole-in-One in History Recorded
Cybergolf wrote:Bret Melson, a student at the San Diego Golf Academy Hawaii Campus, has set a new world record for the longest straight-shot hole-in-one ever recorded. Melson aced the 448-yard, par-4 18th hole at the Ko’olau Golf Club in Oahu, Hawaii. The course was recently deemed the third-hardest course in America by Golf Digest.

Previously, the longest straight-shot hole-in-one in history was hit by Robert Mitera on October 7, 1965, at the Miracle Hills Golf Club in Omaha, Neb., where he used a driver to ace the 444-yard 10th hole.
Coyote
City Council

Re: What's your favorite metro golf course?

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of Happy Hollow... I hear they are doing MAJOR work there, close to $1M of work, anyone know anything about this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Speaking of Happy Hollow... I hear they are doing MAJOR work there, close to $1M of work, anyone know anything about this?
I don't think they ever stop doing work there...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Speaking of Happy Hollow... I hear they are doing MAJOR work there, close to $1M of work, anyone know anything about this?
I don't think they ever stop doing work there...
I don't know if this got done, but Happy Hollow is spending $1M on renovating its clubhouse.