UNO Basketball 2014-15

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

UNO Basketball 2014-15

Post by Greg S »

UNO will be playing Nebraska, K State, Marquette and Air Force this year.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/nu-ksu-and- ... fd5be.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
Brad
City Council

Re: UNO Basketball 2014-15

Post by Brad »

Shatel: Mavericks hope to catch lightning in a building

http://www.omaha.com/uno/shatel-maveric ... 012d1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Shatel / World-Herald columnist wrote:The new UNO arena is going up south of Center Street, next to Aksarben Village. It’s going to have 7,500 cozy seats, next to an area with shopping, movies and eateries and dorms.

It’s got hip written all over it.

And UNO basketball gets to play there next year.

“That’s a game-changer for our athletic program,” Hansen said. “It’s a game-changer for our basketball program.”
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

UNO Is beating Marquette, 58 to 55 with 12 minutes left. Probably won't hang on though, but it's definitely good to see.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO 97 - Marquette 89 @ Bradley Center.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome win for the program!! Not great for Creighton and the Big East though.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

They have a chance for another big win this year, Go UNO!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tuesday night in Lincoln should be fun!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gary Sharp just kept repeating himself for the last 5 minutes - The best win in UNO's short history in Division I, better than last year's win over Nevada.

UNO lead all but 47 seconds, going down by a couple, but then went on a 7-0 run near the 11 minute mark, all in front of a 12k+ crowd in Milwaukee.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Can UNO play in the post season yet?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Can UNO play in the post season yet?
They can play in the CBI or CIT like last year, but are in their last year of transition to Div I this year, so they can't rep the Summit at the Dance until next year.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If anyone is interested in some late night tv/DVR action the game will be replayed on Fox Sports 2 at 11 tonight.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Great win at Marquette. Huge applause at the hockey game last night.

Would love to see an invitational with all three D1 schools playing each other.

If UNO wins Tuesday, the crapstorm will be loud. If UNO ever beat Creighton, the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be amazing.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Awesome win for the program!!  Not great for Creighton and the Big East though.
Doesn't really effect Creighton in any way. I looked and the Big East has a great early season record. Only 2 losses and both are by Marquette. No other Big East team has a loss.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully Creighton will schedule UNO next year.

Nice road win for the Mavs. Nebraska better be ready for UNO Tuesday.

Thanks,
Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:Hopefully Creighton will schedule UNO next year.

Nice road win for the Mavs.  Nebraska better be ready for UNO Tuesday.

Thanks,
Greg
I would love to see all three teams play each other each season. "Battle of Omaha" I would even kick in for a traveling trophy (a big plastic steak).

Creighton won't play UNO. There is nothing in it for them. They already have the bigger fan bases. If they win, it would mean little in the RPI. If they lost, it would be damaging to their recruitment. Their fans would plotz, then go back to their white wine and craft beers. It would be fun to see UNO win by enough to make it not a fluke and then see the OWH have to actually say something nice about UNO.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Huskers are -15 (with or despite) Petteway rolling and ankle at RI. I hear a busload of students are making their way down to PBA, I wonder what sort of presence they can make there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed wrote:
Greg S wrote:Hopefully Creighton will schedule UNO next year.

Nice road win for the Mavs.  Nebraska better be ready for UNO Tuesday.

Thanks,
Greg
I would love to see all three teams play each other each season.  "Battle of Omaha"  I would even kick in for a traveling trophy (a big plastic steak).

Creighton won't play UNO.  There is nothing in it for them.  They already have the bigger fan bases.  If they win, it would mean little in the RPI.  If they lost, it would be damaging to their recruitment.  Their fans would plotz, then go back to their white wine and craft beers.   It would be fun to see UNO win by enough to make it not a fluke and then see the OWH have to actually say something nice about UNO.

It would be nice to see UNO replace Creighton's annual tilt with Chicago State.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

bigredmed wrote:
I would love to see all three teams play each other each season. "Battle of Omaha" I would even kick in for a traveling trophy (a big plastic steak).

Creighton won't play UNO. There is nothing in it for them. They already have the bigger fan bases. If they win, it would mean little in the RPI. If they lost, it would be damaging to their recruitment. Their fans would plotz, then go back to their white wine and craft beers. It would be fun to see UNO win by enough to make it not a fluke and then see the OWH have to actually say something nice about UNO.
I think it is better that the two unranked teams face each other to see who gets to play the premier program in the state. I will be pulling for UNO though, CU needs tough competition and we have seen what UNL can bring.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Miles said this will not be the last game UNL schedules against UNO. Not committing to annually though (they should).

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
I would love to see all three teams play each other each season.  "Battle of Omaha"  I would even kick in for a traveling trophy (a big plastic steak).

Creighton won't play UNO.  There is nothing in it for them.  They already have the bigger fan bases.  If they win, it would mean little in the RPI.  If they lost, it would be damaging to their recruitment.  Their fans would plotz, then go back to their white wine and craft beers.   It would be fun to see UNO win by enough to make it not a fluke and then see the OWH have to actually say something nice about UNO.
I think it is better that the two unranked teams face each other to see who gets to play the premier program in the state. I will be pulling for UNO though, CU needs tough competition and we have seen what UNL can bring.

Shots fired! :shock:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Still think Creighton would rather play UMKC or Chicago State, or the Washington Generals than UNO.

Just more to lose than to gain in that game.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:Miles said this will not be the last game UNL schedules against UNO. Not committing to annually though (they should).

Greg
Honestly I think CU and UNL should alternate years with UNO. They do that in Iowa with UNI playing Iowa State while Drake plays Iowa one season then flip flop the next.

With all the conference challenges now, Big EAST has a deal with Big 10 and Pac 12, and Big 10 also has ACC, along with the fact most holiday tourney's give you two home buy games (NCCU and EIU for CU this year) very few dates are left.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

You look though at both teams and there is still quite a bit of fluff. Both could schedule UNO each year without much trouble (it would have to be on their terms though until UNO gets more traction).

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:You look though at both teams and there is still quite a bit of fluff. Both could schedule UNO each year without much trouble (it would have to be on their terms though until UNO gets more traction).

Greg
But it really isn't that easy. Honestly in this years CU schedule South Dakota is the only game that would fit UNO. UCA and Chi State were opening weekends and you probably don't want to play UNO that weekend especially with that you had no idea how CU would be and UNO has a decent team, most keep those games for 250+ RPI games, like another exhibition, the two tournament games they had to host, then Saint Marys which was a contract signed 2 seasons ago by ESPN who won't even get to televise the game, then USD which would have been a good spot for UNO, then a cupcake for the conference tune up which a lot of teams do. Trust me CU has been there and begged teams for games and maybe UNO fans should think of it as a sign of respect that in only 2 seasons UNO is not a cupcake like Chicago State.

I am with you on wanting UNO to play CU but it is really not as easy as Dirk Chatelin used to think it was for Creighton when he said all we had to do was call KU to get a game.

Also who knows maybe Trev is telling Ras he wants a home game out of a deal for Aksarben which I don't think CU or UNL will ever do, no reason to go play at Aksarben.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's not the easiest, but let's not make it out to be rocket science either. If they want to do it they can. You may let CU off the hook, as a Nebraska fan I will not let NU off so easily.

That being said for the foreseeable future with UNO being where they are, these should be home games for NU and CU. I can't imagine UNO arguing against. The only possible exception would be NU hosting UNO at the Clink. I remember when NU hosted Oregon there, they bought a floor for the game. They were scheduled to play Iowa there, and then playing Iowa in DSM but that did not happen because of NU joining the B1G.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I am letting CU off the hook this year cause no one knew how they would be and you don't wanna lose to UNO the first year you play them.

Next year I think they need to play them. I am sure if Pitchford and Petteway leave for the draft and Nebraska goes young next year they will not play UNO either.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

UNO Leads the Lincoln team 21 to 7 early on.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Lincoln team storms back to take the lead 26 to 25 over Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha 34
Lincoln 42 (half)
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha came out with a lot of emotion, but couldn't sustain it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha 67
Lincoln 80
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They were on fire. Someone tweeted that they were on pace to shoot 200 points after the first 5 min.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully UNO gets a good crowd Saturday for Nevada.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:They were on fire.  Someone tweeted that they were on pace to shoot 200 points after the first 5 min.
No matter what your team consists of When you are shooting 90% at the five min mark you will be on top. Couple that with lights out from the three in that time and it looked like they could run away with it until looking at the %'s and knowing no one can sustain that for a game.

They looked good and will be good this year and for the foreseeable future. I hope the Huskers play them every year, It is good for baseball in the state. IT was a large crowd with plenty of Omaha fans there to cheer on the Mavs.

I find it rather Ironic that Some of the Jays fan bases says that there is nothing to gain by playing UNO. Takes me back a few years when Doc Sadler said something to that effect about the Huskers playing the Jays based on Conf alignments ect. Many of the Jays fans that I know that got their panties in a wad over that are the same ones using the same argument about playing UNO. I think that all three Div 1 teams should play their in state counterparts every year. There is too much to gain in state for basketball. Sure, there will be an upset every once in a while but that is part of the game. Hiding behind "were too good for you" just sucks.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nevada 54
Omaha 78

A 13-2 run to start the second half helped the Mavs.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Another interesting game for UNO tonight at K State.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

UNO K State will be on Fox Sports Kansas City in Omaha on Cox, 47 and 1047.

Greg
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Lame they're airing the St Louis vs Rockhurst game.. anyone find it on another channel?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

UNO is going toe to toe with KState.

Also, Gary Sharp is one of the worst radio play by play people I have heard in a long time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO started strong and led most of the first half, but the last 3 minutes UNO was outplayed:

Omaha 31
Kansas St. 37 (Half)