2015 Nebraska Baseball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: 2015 Nebraska Baseball

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:There are folks within the fanbase who already want to hang Erstad?

I'm no Husker fan, but the mess Andersen left when he was put to pasture was deeper than those folks think.
There are a few.... there are always a few. Most likely they are not part of the real core fan base though.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm sure there are but very few. I have not met or talked to any of them. The core fans are still solidly in his corner.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

After a vey promising early season Nebraska sneaks into the conference tourney as the 8 seed. Playig #5 Illinois in round one.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

And I was not even sure they would get in. Bad finish for Nebraska. Sounds like Illinois is in the running for one of the national seeds. Can't believe how much the Big 10 has improved in baseball.

Going to be interesting to follow the attendance at the Big 10 in Minneapolis, last time it was bad. Also watching how Creighton and the Big East do downtown.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:And I was not even sure they would get in. Bad finish for Nebraska. Sounds like Illinois is in the running for one of the national seeds. Can't believe how much the Big 10 has improved in baseball.

Going to be interesting to follow the attendance at the Big 10 in Minneapolis, last time it was bad. Also watching how Creighton and the Big East do downtown.

Greg
I am assuming the Big 10 tournament is going to be equally as bad as it was there last time. There was an article in the paper today quoting the Creighton ticket office saying if they got 4,000 for their first game and 5,000 if CU made the championship, they would be happy. Anything in the triple digits will be better than last year's Big East tournament. I don't think they will have any problem breaking the Big East attendance records this year.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Gar Sharp was talking about the Big East tournament on 1620. Sounds like last year's was worse than reported. They said at some of the games there was 50 people. The bar is low, I think Omaha beats that.

The Big 10's was pretty bad last time in Minnesota. College conference tournaments in MLB cities just don't work in my opionion. The players get the thrill of playing in a big league park, but the atmosphere is brutal. The locals don't care and the stadiums swallow the fans of the teams. The Big 12 which is a much better baseball conference, tried and failed at the Rangers stadium in Dallas.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am surprised the Big East is holding theirs at TD Ameritrade. I would think that Werner Park would be a more perfect sized venue for them.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:I am surprised the Big East is holding theirs at TD Ameritrade. I would think that Werner Park would be a more perfect sized venue for them.
Honestly, going forward, that would be ideal. That way you could have years in which TD hosts the Big 10 and Werner the Big East. I just don't think it will ever happen since TD is the home of the Jays.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Here is the thing about College baseball tourneys, unless you are the SEC when the host team isn't playing you will be lucky to get 100 people there. UNL did great last year but I went to a Michigan vs Minnesota at TDAP and there was maybe 100 people there tops. If Nebraska was not in the championship last year there would have been 500 people there maybe for Indiana vs Illinois. Minnesota not making the Big Tourney obviously hurts them up there.

The BE in all its great wisdom hosted a neutral site tourney last year and of course no one showed up at all obviously. I would expect decent opening round crowds, 3-4 K for the Jays if they can stay in the winners bracket and keep the 7 PM games. If good weather on Sunday afternoon and face St. Johns I could see 6-8 K like the last time the MVC was here and the Jays made it all the way.

I think the every other year rotation between Big EAST and Big 10 which they are doing can keep everyone happy.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:Here is the thing about College baseball tourneys, unless you are the SEC when the host team isn't playing you will be lucky to get 100 people there. UNL did great last year but I went to a Michigan vs Minnesota at TDAP and there was maybe 100 people there tops. If Nebraska was not in the championship last year there would have been 500 people there maybe for Indiana vs Illinois. Minnesota not making the Big Tourney obviously hurts them up there.

The BE in all its great wisdom hosted a neutral site tourney last year and of course no one showed up at all obviously. I would expect decent opening round crowds, 3-4 K for the Jays if they can stay in the winners bracket and keep the 7 PM games. If good weather on Sunday afternoon and face St. Johns I could see 6-8 K like the last time the MVC was here and the Jays made it all the way.

I think the every other year rotation between Big EAST and Big 10 which they are doing can keep everyone happy.

I will have to disagree with you on this point. Of course it would not have been anywhere near the number that was their since the Husker were playing but the crowds would have far exceeded 500. The history of the CWS and the understanding of college baseball would have driven the numbers beyond that.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:Here is the thing about College baseball tourneys, unless you are the SEC when the host team isn't playing you will be lucky to get 100 people there. UNL did great last year but I went to a Michigan vs Minnesota at TDAP and there was maybe 100 people there tops. If Nebraska was not in the championship last year there would have been 500 people there maybe for Indiana vs Illinois. Minnesota not making the Big Tourney obviously hurts them up there.

It's definitely a huge thing to have the host team involved and playing well. That being said, I was blown away last year with the Friday crowd (when NU wasn't playing). I believe the announced was 7,500. We got there late and it was a real solid crowd. I also went to the Saturday afternoon game of Indiana vs Michigan State and that crowd was in the thousands as well.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good article on the Big 10's rise in baseball:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/though-hus ... 9d174.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Another terrible first day of attendance for the Big 10 tournament in Minneapolis:

2015 Day One Attendance: 2,188
2014 Day One Attendance: 10,424
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Another terrible first day of attendance for the Big 10 tournament in Minneapolis:

What makes it worse, is that is in a stadium that seats 40k.

The Big East was at least smart and scheduled CU at night. That was another impressive feat last year for the Big 10. NU was drawing monster crowds on weekdays.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Even the non-NU games had decent crowds last year. Having over 37,000 empty seats looks embarrassing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Even the non-NU games had decent crowds last year. Having over 37,000 empty seats looks embarrassing.
Yes they did. Friday was great. I was at the Michigan State game on Saturday and I bet that's better than anything Minneapolis has this year.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Another terrible first day of attendance for the Big 10 tournament in Minneapolis:

How many of those were Nebraska fans at the NE / IL game? From what I caught on TV I would guess there were over 500 Husker fans there probably accounting for at last 25% of the days attendance.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote: How many of those were Nebraska fans at the NE / IL game? From what I caught on TV I would guess there were over 500 Husker fans there probably accounting for at last 25% of the days attendance.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking as well. It doesn't seem that any of the other teams have big followings for baseball. I know Iowa surely doesn't. They are having their best season in 25 years yet there were numerous home games they had less than 1,000 at this season.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's definitely going to take some time for the other schools in the Big 10. Last year there was a decent contingent from Indiana in town, probably helped that they had a few years of success. Michigan State also seemed to travel pretty well (they also have a strong alumni group in Omaha). We get spoiled around here with the way Nebraska fans support their various teams and sports. Not a lot of schools nationally draw so well in so many sports.

Baseball in the Big 10 has been such an after thought. With some sustained success, the crowds will build.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Bad meltdown for NU against MSU. They will miss NU's fan attendance for the rest of the tourney. Illinois and Iowa also lose.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

2015 Day two attendance: 1,751 ( 2 day total: 3,939)
2014 Day two attendance: 11,756 (2 day total: 22,180)

Over 5.5X more people attended the 2014 tournament to this point.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The comparisons will only get worse going forward. NU was still playing day games through day 2 last year. Imagine if they had played at night.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Day 3 attendance 2015: 1,343
Day 3 attendance 2014: 7,580

Cumulative attendance 2015: 5,282
Cumulative attendance 2014: 29,760

Day 4 attendance 2015: 1,444
Day 4 attendance 2014: 12,319

Cumulative attendance 2015: 6,726
Cumulative attendance 2014: 42,079
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Day 5 attendance 2015: 658
Day 5 attendance 2014: 19,965

Total attendance 2015: 7,384
Total attendance 2014: 62,044

Over 8x more fans at the tournament in Omaha. I think that bodes well for future tournaments being scheduled in Omaha beyond the ones that already are.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Day 5 attendance 2015: 658
Day 5 attendance 2014: 19,965

Total attendance 2015: 7,384
Total attendance 2014: 62,044

Over 8x more fans at the tournament in Omaha. I think that bodes well for future tournaments being scheduled in Omaha beyond the ones that already are.
I think Omaha is locked in for every other year. Depending on what happens with the Big East, could be more.

How about the Big 10 being a 5 team league!. When we joined the conference, I thought 2 or once maybe every few years 3 teams (that was thinking optimistically). Never saw 5 teams getting in, and especially with none of them being NU. The financial commitment of the conference to baseball and the Big 10 Network seems to be paying off.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It really does look like the B1G has turned a corner baseball wise. To keep this momentum going schools are going to need to pay to lock of the coaches before other programs swoop in and the rest of the fan bases need to start supporting their teams. There is no reason a team like Iowa who is top 25 caliber should be playing in front of high school sized crowds.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:There is no reason a team like Iowa who is top 25 caliber should be playing in front of high school sized crowds.
They have done that for many years. They had decent attendance for a few games this year, but even those only had around 2,000 at them. Even Creighton gets that for most of their games.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:It really does look like the B1G has turned a corner baseball wise. To keep this momentum going schools are going to need to pay to lock of the coaches before other programs swoop in and the rest of the fan bases need to start supporting their teams. There is no reason a team like Iowa who is top 25 caliber should be playing in front of high school sized crowds.

It's going to take a while for Iowa to get crowds. They've been bad for so long. I know when Jack Dahm (former Creighton Coach) was there, they finished 8th, 9th or 10th in a lot. I think the best they finished was 3rd in his 10 years there. And that is in a bad baseball conference. Now with the new coach, and an improving conference they finally have something to sell.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Article on the Big 10 getting 5 teams into the tourney (previous record was 3) plus Illinois being one of the 8 national seeds.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/big-ten ... 31d88.html

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Even though Rutgers wasnt a B1G school until last year, Todd Frazier of Rutgers just won the MLB Home Run Derby.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's the most pleasant surprise for me with the Big 10. How much the better the baseball has become vs. what I expected. Still not a fan of Maryland and Rutgers, but it's improved the baseball (and of course Maryland in basketball).

Greg