CU wins game 3 vs WSU

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

CU wins game 3 vs WSU

Post by Coyote »

Schaecher Shuts Down Shockers in 10-1 Baseball Win

CU regains first place after salvaging game 3.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Good!

I really don't want to have any nebraska team in the CWS (so that the City can make more money from visitors.) but I'd much much much rather have CU in it than NU for a couple of reasons. 1)There aren't as many CU fans as there are NU fans, so it wouldn't be a "red out" at the CWS. and 2)it would help raise civic pride/awareness.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I hope they both make it!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I have to agree with Swifts comments as it relates to NU ONLY (and I am an NU alumn). I've personally seen the effects of the dreaded 'red-out' when NU recently made the CWS a couple of years back. NU football fans hoard up all the tickets for the NU game; then when NU loses, they make a bee-line out the doors of the stadium faster than you can say Rosenblatt. The effect? Thousands of EMPTY seats for the next game that otherwise would have been occupied. NOT a healthy scene for the CWS IMO..

I'd be delighted to see the host Bluejays make the CWS though..

And I am happy CU avoided the sweep :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Couldn't some of them be NU BASEBALL fans??????????????????????????
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Finn wrote:I hope they both make it!
I'm with you on this one. I think it would be great if they both made it. I don't think Illinois playing in Chicago in the big dance was that big of a deal. Well unless you were playing against them. This happens frequently in other sports as well. USC/UCLA in the Rose Bowl, FSU/Miami in the Orange Bowl. Plenty of Nebraskans will go to they games and buy souvenirs. Plenty will come to Omaha and stay in hotel rooms just to partake in the festivities. This is a fun and exciting national event held in Nebraska’s largest city and I think Nebraskans deserve to join in the fun as well. Omaha’s economy is not fragile enough to collapse because a few extra hotel rooms aren’t rented. I think that sometimes the anti Nebraska/UNL feelings are the main motive for not wanting them in anyway.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:Couldn't some of them be NU BASEBALL fans??????????????????????????
Quite possibly some. But mostly just Eric Crouch #7 jersey wearing NU FOOTBALL fans who bolted for the exits as soon as the BASEBALL team lost to South Carolina in an afternoon game in 2002..Leaving thousands of empty seats that otherwise would have been filled for the evening game (I attended both of these particular sessions)..

You'd have had to see it to believe it..Again not a healthy scene for the CWS in my opinion..

But to each his own..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Some of us are Husker fans for ALL sports! A Crouch jersey doesn't mean they aren't baseball fans. I agree that it is disappointing if alot of fans leave, but the seats were paid for.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

GoWest wrote:
Finn wrote:I hope they both make it!
I'm with you on this one. I think it would be great if they both made it. I don't think Illinois playing in Chicago in the big dance was that big of a deal. Well unless you were playing against them. This happens frequently in other sports as well. USC/UCLA in the Rose Bowl, FSU/Miami in the Orange Bowl. Plenty of Nebraskans will go to they games and buy souvenirs. Plenty will come to Omaha and stay in hotel rooms just to partake in the festivities. This is a fun and exciting national event held in Nebraska’s largest city and I think Nebraskans deserve to join in the fun as well. Omaha’s economy is not fragile enough to collapse because a few extra hotel rooms aren’t rented. I think that sometimes the anti Nebraska/UNL feelings are the main motive for not wanting them in anyway.
It's not even just the money issue, it's the desire to have as many out of towners see Omaha as possible. The difference with the Chicago example is that Chicago still has millions of tourists every year, while CWS is historically our main source of tourist influx.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I bet the city of Jacksonville boood their Jaguars all last year so their city could get two teams to come to their superbowl event. Not rooting for the hometeam is wrong in any sport. Money and greed should not trump the spirit for our teams.

Besides some teams do not even travel that well. I am sure Tulane is going to bring in tens of thousands of people. Does this mean you only root for big traveling schools to come here?

I know I will root against Texas at all costs no matter how many of their stupid fans travel. Especially after their wonderful display of sportsmanship last year.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

It's not a sports issue to me. I will go to the CWS (well, actually I'll have moved to SF by then, but if I was still in town, I would go) regardless of what teams are playing, as will a lot of other Omahans and Linconites. The same people that would atttend the CWS wearing the Husker garb if NU is playing would still likely attend at least one CWS game.

EDIT: My point was kind of vague. Anyway...my point is that these Omahans and Linconites likely will return home shortly after the game is over. They won't go to the zoo, they won't wander around the Old Market. One of my favoirte things about the CWS is seeing all the different fans around the old market etc. So I'd like to see as many teams from around the country as possible.
custudent
Home Owners Association

Post by custudent »

Winning Game 3 helps put the pressure on WSU. In some ways, they have the harder schedule the rest of the way (we have to go to Evansville in our final series, but UE has completely collapsed at this point and sit right at the cutline for the MVC tournament). They'll probably have to be in a situation to need a sweep at Bradley in the last weekend of the series. BU is a much better team-- we'll see them this weekend-- and they won't go down without a fight. The Shockers also go to SMS this weekend. The Bears are |expletive| this year, but they're likely to be very much up for WSU.

WAY too early to speak of CU in the CWS. They haven't showed me they're capable of that yet. That said, I think those who have experience with both will recongize the contrasts in atmosphere and conduct between 1991 and 2001. If we are blessed to see the Jays play out of their heads like that (SMS did it a couple of years ago, anything is possible), trust me it'd be nothing but great things for the city and the College World Series.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:Some of us are Husker fans for ALL sports! A Crouch jersey doesn't mean they aren't baseball fans. I agree that it is disappointing if alot of fans leave, but the seats were paid for.
Football or Baseball fans notwithstanding..

The empty seats issue is my bone of contention here..The seats being paid for and left empty by NU fans after a loss does nothing to enhance the atmosphere of the CWS (this is not usually the case otherwise)..

..Ciao..LiO.....Peace
Go Cowboys!