Creighton Basketball 2015-2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2015-2016

Post by Coyote »

Huge pick-up. He was off my radar also. But reading up on him, this is sweeeet!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Creighton has a next level recruiting class right now. Impressive.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am lovin it, but the key is going to be turning that recruiting class into success. It has been obvious for the first years in the Big East (outside of Doug's senior year of course b/c they were such great shooters) that Creighton hasn't even been close to matching the athleticism that other Big East teams have. I can't wait to see that gap closed some more.

This get is pretty impressive. Creighton now has the top recruit from Kansas and North Carolina for the 2017 season (#43 and #44 Nationally according to ESPN)

Currently the Jays have the #3 recruiting class for 2017 according to 247 Sports:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basket ... amRankings
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Creighton will be playing the #5 AP team tomorrow vs Xavier. Should be a good game, but the Jays are going to have to play their best to have a chance in this one.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:I am lovin it, but the key is going to be turning that recruiting class into success. It has been obvious for the first years in the Big East (outside of Doug's senior year of course b/c they were such great shooters) that Creighton hasn't even been close to matching the athleticism that other Big East teams have. I can't wait to see that gap closed some more.

I think they're closer than you're eluding to here. I think with the addition of Foster and the new blood, this team has the athleticism to go up with almost everyone outside of Nova in the conference. The key will be to get them to believe that, and end these late last minute losses, as well as experience.

I could just be smokin something though haha.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree that they can go against almost anyone, especially after this year and gaining some of the new players. Their athleticism has grown leaps and bounds in the past few years. I think Groselle is the last of the MVC recruited players. One thing Creighton always seems to have a leg up on is playing together and being smart. Other Big East teams are more athletic (St. Johns and Depaul) but lack the self-discipline to make them successful.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I am lovin it, but the key is going to be turning that recruiting class into success. It has been obvious for the first years in the Big East (outside of Doug's senior year of course b/c they were such great shooters) that Creighton hasn't even been close to matching the athleticism that other Big East teams have. I can't wait to see that gap closed some more.

I think they're closer than you're eluding to here. I think with the addition of Foster and the new blood, this team has the athleticism to go up with almost everyone outside of Nova in the conference. The key will be to get them to believe that, and end these late last minute losses, as well as experience.

I could just be smokin something though haha.

What is wrong with smokin somthin and being right!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree that they can go against almost anyone, especially after this year and gaining some of the new players. Their athleticism has grown leaps and bounds in the past few years. I think Groselle is the last of the MVC recruited players. One thing Creighton always seems to have a leg up on is playing together and being smart. Other Big East teams are more athletic (St. Johns and Depaul) but lack the self-discipline to make them successful.
Zierden(class of '12), Hegner('13), and Hansen('13) were recruited and committed before the news broke of the Big East move (July '13)...That being said, we still have a ways to go before we field a team fully recruited and hand picked with the Big East in mind. I actually think CU has done exceptionally well against one of the most athletic conferences in college basketball, considering we have been playing with teams made up of MVC recruits and transfers. Agree that playing as a team and high basketball IQ has helped bridge the gap. The best is yet to come for Creighton. When we finally put a team out there fully recruited for the Big East, watch out.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Halftime
#5 Xavier 27
Creighton 37

CU led by 17 at one point.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Jays up 6 with 7:49 left.. Having difficulty offensively right now..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Jays up 6 with 7:49 left.. Having difficulty offensively right now..
They can't figure out the 1-3-1 zone yet...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Jays up 6 with 7:49 left.. Having difficulty offensively right now..
They can't figure out the 1-3-1 zone yet...
Truth. But finally :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Huge win. Watson went psycho the second half. Career high 32, scored 22 of Creighton's 33 second half points.

#5 Xavier 56
Creighton 70
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Huge win. Watson went psycho the second half. Career high 32, scored 22 of Creighton's 33 second half points.

#5 Xavier 56
Creighton 70
Maurice Watson for President...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Awesome game to be at and great to see a good ending to a tough home game after all the close calls last year. First win over a Top 5 team at home since 1970.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome win for the Jays! Sitting at 4th in the conference right now.

On the other side of the coin a game like this frustrates the heck out of me. Arizona St, Loyola :shrug:, Providence and Georgetown... Flip two of those and CU is right in the thick of NCAA contention.

Still this is a big win for the program, really expect CU to become a consistent top 5 Big East team.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
On the other side of the coin a game like this frustrates the heck out of me. Arizona St, Loyola :shrug:, Providence and Georgetown... Flip two of those and CU is right in the thick of NCAA contention.
Absolutely. Really the terrible losses were Arizona St (because we had that game won) Loyala (never should have lost that one) and Georgtown (had that game won too)

But I agree, if they won 2 of those 4. Lets say that we flip even just the two non-conference games, the Jays wouldn't have any bad RPI losses and would be 18-7 and probably close to getting some votes in the polls. If you flip the Georgetown and Loyola games, the Jays would be 3rd in the conference right now and in really great shape.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thought this was a crazy stat (The Big East is doing wonders for Creighton):

Creighton now has three wins over top-10 foes in the last three seasons after just five previous such wins in program history.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad, pretty sure that is you at the :57 mark that almost got ran over by Mo Watson.
[youtube][/youtube]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Brad, pretty sure that is you at the :57 mark that almost got ran over by Mo Watson.
Yep, that's me.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Absolutely. Really the terrible losses were Arizona St (because we had that game won) Loyala (never should have lost that one) and Georgtown (had that game won too)

But I agree, if they won 2 of those 4. Lets say that we flip even just the two non-conference games, the Jays wouldn't have any bad RPI losses and would be 18-7 and probably close to getting some votes in the polls. If you flip the Georgetown and Loyola games, the Jays would be 3rd in the conference right now and in really great shape.
Agreed completely. That said, Creighton still controls their fate...it'll be tough, but hey, stranger things have happened.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

iamjacobm wrote:Awesome win for the Jays! Sitting at 4th in the conference right now.

Still this is a big win for the program, really expect CU to become a consistent top 5 Big East team.
Great win last night, but this was my feeling as well. We know the Jays can hang with any team in the league. The mental lapses are just frustrating.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Jays are now tied for 3rd in the conference after Marquette beat Providence last night.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:The Jays are now tied for 3rd in the conference after Marquette beat Providence last night.
3-7 in the BE is such a tight race right now. It is going to be a fun 4 weeks to figure all the conference standings out.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good interview from Mo.

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/co ... rL0rLIT.97

Thought this was interesting, I wonder if his brother decided to go to school at UNO to be close? Kinda cool.
Coach [Greg McDermott] told me when I got to Creighton that it would be the toughest year of my life, and he wasn’t lying. Not only was I sitting out, but I had a lot going on at home and had to help with my little brother going to school at the University of Nebraska Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big East
Villanova...........11-1 21-3
Xavier................9-3 21-3
Seton Hall...........7-5 17-7
Creighton...........7-5 16-9
Georgetown........7-5 14-11
Providence ........6-6 18-7
Butler...............6-6 17-7
Marquette..........5-7 16-9
DePaul..............2-10 8-16
St. John's...........0-12 7-18

The little things that help:
# 23 USC 67
AZ St. 74
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton 65
Marquette 62

Bad shooting, but still comes away with a road W.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

They actually won a close game by making clutch FT and shots at the end. I'll be damned.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Creighton 65
Marquette 62

Bad shooting, but still comes away with a road W.
YES!!!!! Sole possession of 3rd place in the Big East.. :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote:They actually won a close game by making clutch FT and shots at the end. I'll be damned.
Yes, what a great finish to a back and forth close game. Maybe they can get over that hump.

I looked back at the last 2 seasons and they were 3-10 last year and 0-4 this year in games decided by 5 pts or less. During their past 15 games like this they were 1-14.

Great to not only get the win, but to get it in the fashion that they did.

If they can win 3 out of their last 6 games (5 regular season and at least one Big East tournament game), they would finish at least 20-12. I would think that would have them at least on the bubble depending on who they beat to get to that record.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Mo Watson Jr named national player of the week by both NBC and CBS! First Jay since Doug to get the honor.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Mo Watson Jr named national player of the week by both NBC and CBS! First Jay since Doug to get the honor.
Great to hear. He is amazing and deserves the attention.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Terrible game for Creighton tonight. With this being a big game, they sure didn't bring it. The refs didn't help much but the Jays were giving up open shot after open shot. When Creighton got their open looks no one hit them (kinda like every game in conference play)

I have to wonder how many assists Watson would have had if he played with Doug and Ethan (guys who could actually hit shots). Watson gets so many easy, open looks for his teammates, but they are always off or a step slow. I think he would have averaged double digits for assists playing with those guys.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Terrible game for Creighton tonight. With this being a big game, they sure didn't bring it. The refs didn't help much but the Jays were giving up open shot after open shot. When Creighton got their open looks no one hit them (kinda like every game in conference play)

I have to wonder how many assists Watson would have had if he played with Doug and Ethan (guys who could actually hit shots). Watson gets so many easy, open looks for his teammates, but they are always off or a step slow. I think he would have averaged double digits for assists playing with those guys.
Agreed. Bad loss for the Jays tonight.. I know Butler was projected to be a good team before the season started and are a talented team, but this would have been huge for the Jays..and the road games don't get any easier moving forward...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Butler just played better and harder than the Jays. Mo was getting to the rim at will, but didn't finish on quite a few at the beginning of the game. I think the refs called a good game, the Jays got to the line more than we could ask. It was their defense that lacked effort, most points given away this season, Butler hit too many wide open 3s, and some of those match ups were a little too much for them to keep up. Butler knew they were on the Bubble, and played like a team that knew they had to win at home.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Butler just played better and harder than the Jays. Mo was getting to the rim at will, but didn't finish on quite a few at the beginning of the game. I think the refs called a good game, the Jays got to the line more than we could ask. It was their defense that lacked effort, most points given away this season, Butler hit too many wide open 3s, and some of those match ups were a little too much for them to keep up. Butler knew they were on the Bubble, and played like a team that knew they had to win at home.
Good analysis my friend...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This team is scraping with St. John's for last place w/o Mo, he really is something else.

As far as this game. I actually don't think it is a death sentence. They get Marquette and St Johns at home win those two and spilt the last two there is still a shot. If you can't do that than that is ok, go into the NIT and get experience and drive and go forward with a way better roster next year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:This team is scraping with St. John's for last place w/o Mo, he really is something else.
I agree. I have commented many times this year that there is Mo and there is rest of the team. Every once in a while one of the other guys will step up but Mo is clearly a Big East caliber player. The rest of the team....I am not so sure. Still I predicted an 18-13 record this year and that is very much in reach. The season isn't over yet, but I can't wait for next season and hopefully a step up in athleticism with Justin Patton and Marcus Foster.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

In my opinion, CU played as well in last night's loss to Butler as they did when they won at Marquette last week. They are who they are, and this season that means that they are somewhere in the middle of the Big East. One post mentioned that only Watson is of Big East caliber. If that's the case, then Coach McDermott must be an amazing coach to have CU ahead of the other Big East teams in the standings. Instead I think that we tend to over-state how great Big East players are.

This year, there are only a few very good teams in the whole country.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha1000 wrote:In my opinion, CU played as well in last night's loss to Butler as they did when they won at Marquette last week. They are who they are, and this season that means that they are somewhere in the middle of the Big East. One post mentioned that only Watson is of Big East caliber. If that's the case, then Coach McDermott must be an amazing coach to have CU ahead of the other Big East teams in the standings. Instead I think that we tend to over-state how great Big East players are.

This year, there are only a few very good teams in the whole country.

Agreed completely.

Also, any "away" game this time of year is going to be difficult. I didn't expect the Jays to win this one. Ultimately NIT is still well within reach and this game isn't going to change it.

Onwards and upwards.