Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2015-2016

Post by Coyote »

(12) Utah 57
(8) Oregon 88

Congrats Pac 12 Coach of the Year Dana Altman!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:(12) Utah 57
(8) Oregon 88

And Oregon pulls off a #1 Seed!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I can't help but wonder what Altman could have done with a Big East Creighton.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

4 seed in the NIT. Hosting Alabama on Tuesday on ESPN. Roll Jays :;):
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:4 seed in the NIT. Hosting Alabama on Tuesday on ESPN. Roll Jays :;):

I'll be damned. Let's see a good tourney run to get some momentum into next year.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:(12) Utah 57
(8) Oregon 88

And Oregon pulls off a #1 Seed!
That's a tremendous accomplishment!..

And that's also an interesting question MadMartin8 hmmm.. My instinct tells me the Jays would be on a similar path. I think coach Mac has done a nice job recruiting and upgrading the talent level. I'd like so see them pull off signing an athletic, talented big man. I think the recruiting progress would be a wash between Altman and Mac. Game planning and game day coaching? My impression is they're also pretty close in this regard. Do you feel Altman is a superior coach?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:4 seed in the NIT. Hosting Alabama on Tuesday on ESPN. Roll Jays :;):
Very nice. Would love to see a deep run for CU in the NIT.. I'd be a great springboard for next season :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
And that's also an interesting question MadMartin8 hmmm.. My instinct tells me the Jays would be on a similar path. I think coach Mac has done a nice job recruiting and upgrading the talent level. I'd like so see them pull off signing an athletic, talented big man. I think the recruiting progress would be a wash between Altman and Mac. Game planning and game day coaching? My impression is they're also pretty close in this regard. Do you feel Altman is a superior coach?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Not really feeling/saying anything beyond I am curious to know if things would be different, if the Jays would be in better shape or worse shape had he not bolted for Ar-Kansas and then Oregon. He seems to be in his element in Oregon, so is that more a product of his coaching or Oregon as a school?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Not really feeling/saying anything beyond I am curious to know if things would be different, if the Jays would be in better shape or worse shape had he not bolted for Ar-Kansas and then Oregon. He seems to be in his element in Oregon, so is that more a product of his coaching or Oregon as a school?
I think Altman found his perfect power conference school fit. It was obvious the "sooohey pig" Arkansas trist was a disaster..

Regarding whether the Jays would be in better shape today with Altman vs Mac.. I'd say it'd be a wash. It's a tough job moving up to a power conference and having to land recruits talented enough to compete with and live within the top shelf of that conference. Let's face it..The Jays were the Big Dog of the Valley. Everyone geared up to try and compete with and knock off CU. Altman built that legacy and Mac maintained it. I think they're both fine/worthy coaches.. I believe the results as it relates to CU today, would be very similar if either were the head coach...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.65 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I think Altman found his perfect power conference school fit. It was obvious the "sooohey pig" Arkansas trist was a disaster..

Regarding whether the Jays would be in better shape today with Altman vs Mac.. I'd say it'd be a wash. It's a tough job moving up to a power conference and having to land recruits talented enough to compete with and live within the top shelf of that conference. Let's face it..The Jays were the Big Dog of the Valley. Everyone geared up to try and compete with and knock off CU. Altman built that legacy and Mac maintained it. I think they're both fine/worthy coaches.. I believe the results as it relates to CU today, would be very similar if either were the head coach...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Can't disagree with any of these thoughts. Only thing is if Dana had stayed then there would have been no Doug in a Bluejay uniform. And that very well might have meant a rougher transition in year one to the Big East under Dana. I know, just stating the obvious.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

guy4omaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Can't disagree with any of these thoughts. Only thing is if Dana had stayed then there would have been no Doug in a Bluejay uniform. And that very well might have meant a rougher transition in year one to the Big East under Dana. I know, just stating the obvious.
True statement guy4omaha. I thought the same thing as I was writing my response...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

guy4omaha wrote: Can't disagree with any of these thoughts. Only thing is if Dana had stayed then there would have been no Doug in a Bluejay uniform. And that very well might have meant a rougher transition in year one to the Big East under Dana. I know, just stating the obvious.

Very true, good point.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Without Mac and thus without Doug they may not have had the run they had and I would ask with seriousness, would they even be in the BIg East right now?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wonder how ticket sales are going to be with the short turnaround.

From Creighton's website:
For tickets, season ticket holders can purchase their regular season seat locations for Tuesday night's game by stopping by the CenturyLink Center Omaha (CLCO) ticket windows tomorrow (Monday, March 14) from 9 a.m., to 8 p.m., and on Tuesday, March 15 from 9 a.m., to 1 p.m. Tickets are not available for purchase at the Creighton Ticket Office on campus. As per NIT rule, there are no complimentary tickets. Ticket prices are $30 each for lower level table seats, $20 each for all other lower bowl seats, $20 each for all upper bowl mezzanine seats and $10 each for all other upper bowl seats (adult or youth).
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Avery Johnson, who played with the San Antonio Spurs and coached the Brooklyn Nets is Alabama's current coach.

That would be the 2nd time in a little over two weeks that the head coach of the opposing team is a former NBA player. (Chris Mullin, St. Johns)
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:Without Mac and thus without Doug they may not have had the run they had and I would ask with seriousness, would they even be in the BIg East right now?
Not downplaying Doug's influence at all here, but ultimately, what did they do in the Tourney or even during the season with Doug that they didn't do in the days of Korver, etc? Tourney results were the same (no Sweet 16s, no Elite 8s, etc.), very good season records, etc. Sure Doug increased exposure for sure, but I can't help but think the program would have been invited regardless given the Big East's criteria what they were looking for in a Basketball only conference.

Addition:

Looking at that NIT Bracket... I could just be hallucinating, but I don't see any teams that I say to myself "Creighton really has no chance against", they're all winnable... But also in the same vein, definitely a loss in any of them is possible (a-la Loyola game)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Without Mac and thus without Doug they may not have had the run they had and I would ask with seriousness, would they even be in the BIg East right now?
Not downplaying Doug's influence at all here, but ultimately, what did they do in the Tourney or even during the season with Doug that they didn't do in the days of Korver, etc? Tourney results were the same (no Sweet 16s, no Elite 8s, etc.), very good season records, etc. Sure Doug increased exposure for sure, but I can't help but think the program would have been invited regardless given the Big East's criteria what they were looking for in a Basketball only conference.

That very well may be the case. I am not saying they would or wouldn't be there, but I do think that no matter what they did come tourney time that Doug brought them a lot more national attention and had them talked about by a lot of talking heads that would not have been discussing CU / Mo Valley BB at that time. First off I think they should have been considered and are deserving for a lot more reasons that Doug. I just am not so sure it would have been as much of a slam dunk if he had not been here and this includes possibly not getting the invite.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The program was in a bit of a lull during Altman's last few years. He is an awesome coach, but I really do believe that sometimes going separate ways can give some new energy to both the coach and the program. Altman is doing fantastic in Eugene and McDermott has done some great things for the program since. I think it was a positive for both sides.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Good win after a bit of a slow start.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Except for a few short spurts, Alabama looked incredibly inept, for a near SEC bubble team.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Half time analyst called Creighton mid-major :roll: . I will take the Big East over the hapless SEC 7 days a week.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:Half time analyst called Creighton mid-major :roll: . I will take the Big East over the hapless SEC 7 days a week.
Dumb a$$ analyst. I agree with you 100% Big East vs SEC..

Very nice win for CU! :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good win for the Jays....glad to see Malik Albert and Ronnie Harrell get some more minutes.

They mentioned it on the pregame show, but Isaiah Zierdan would be better coming off the bench for 20 minutes/game, not starting and leading the team in minutes. His body has taken a toll each year and he has yet to finish a season. I can't see him starting next year though with Marcus Foster playing. It should be Mo Watson, Marcus Foster, Cole Huff, Zach Hanson and Justin Patton starting.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was mentioned in the reaction show that is on after the post game show that Zierdan is most likely out for the season.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Good win for the Jays....glad to see Malik Albert and Ronnie Harrell get some more minutes.

They mentioned it on the pregame show, but Isaiah Zierdan would be better coming off the bench for 20 minutes/game, not starting and leading the team in minutes. His body has taken a toll each year and he has yet to finish a season. I can't see him starting next year though with Marcus Foster playing. It should be Mo Watson, Marcus Foster, Cole Huff, Zach Hanson and Justin Patton starting.
I agree with Z being 6th man. Would be a good leader off the bench and he clearly can't handle 30+ mins every game.

I am not sure Hanson and Patton both start, don't think our style fits two traditional post players. I think It will be Mo, Foster, Thomas, Huff and Hanson.

Give us a bench with Albert, Z, Harrell, Hegner and Patton. Beyond that who knows if Mintz or Martin can give us something next year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
I am not sure Hanson and Patton both start, don't think our style fits two traditional post players. I think It will be Mo, Foster, Thomas, Huff and Hanson.

Give us a bench with Albert, Z, Harrell, Hegner and Patton. Beyond that who knows if Mintz or Martin can give us something next year.
Yeah I agree, Patton and Hanson aren't both going to start. Khyri is going to start over Patton.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

Coyote wrote:Except for a few short spurts, Alabama looked incredibly inept, for a near SEC bubble team.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think that Creighton played particularly well last night, they just played a team that is inept on offense. Watson still has too many turnovers in my opinion.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Watching the the Jays last night they were def. the better team. I do think that the way I watched it though we saw one team that wanted to be playing still even though it wasn't the NCAA tourny and one that wasn't so sure they wanted to be there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Creighton's second round NIT game will tip off at 11am on Saturday and will be televised on ESPN. If St. Bonaventure wins tonight, the game will be held there. If Wagner wins, the game will be held at the CenturyLink Center.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Creighton vs Wagner, CLC Omaha on Saturday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, didn't expect that at all. That is the first upset in the 11 NIT games played so far and it was the biggest upset.

Hopefully we can get a better crowd than last game since it is on Saturday, Might be tough with the NCAA tournament's 2nd round going on but with the earlier start it might help.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Jays just picked up another verbal for 2017 from 6'9", 225lb Hunter Thompson from Pine Bluffs, WY. As a Junior this year, he averaged 20 pts, 10 rbs, and 3 blocked shots per game while leading his team to the state title. He is expected to fill the "4" spot at Creighton.

He had offers from Wyoming, Colorado, Utah State, Nevada and San Diego. Other teams that were interested but didn't offer were Utah, Gonzaga and Wisconsin.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Interesting fact about Creighton's opponent for tomorrow:

Wagner is the seventh-smallest college in the country that plays Division 1 athletics.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Interesting fact about Creighton's opponent for tomorrow:

Wagner is the seventh-smallest college in the country that plays Division 1 athletics.

I could look but any idea what the student population is?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:

Appox. 2,500.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Appox. 2,500.

wow

Lot of high schools large as that
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Absolute blowout for CU..

Bluejays up 83-53 with about 4 or so minutes left :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wagner 54
Creighton 87

CU gets another 20 win season.

Hard to tell how good Wagner is, even though they end the season with 23 wins
Omaha Cowboy
The Don