Nebraska Football 2015

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2015

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This game serves no purpose. It's a bowl and yet nothing is at stake. I'm glad the husker fanbase seems to realize this because the stadium looks like its about half empty. The icing on the cake is that they play it up as San Francisco's bowl, yet the stadium is 40 miles outside city limits.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Game's over. Nebraska won 37-29.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Prediction: Nebraska 27 UCLA 48

This is the worst team Nebraska has ever fielded. Turnover Tommie is at again with 2 more interceptions.
Hey, well how about that? Armstrong with no INT! It's his personal gift to fans everywhere! GBR
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:Game's over. Nebraska won 37-29.
Good for them.
Caught a few minutes throughout the game. The play by play and color guys were giving NU lots of credit for blasting UCLA's defense. NU's offensive line sounded like they were in control most of the night.

Glad that they won by a decisive margin. Puts the complaint that UCLA got jobbed by having to play a weak team to rest.

Hope they have a better year next year.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

With Riley and others past coaching gigs at Oregon State, playing another Pac-12 team I'm sure helped.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:With Riley and others past coaching gigs at Oregon State, playing another Pac-12 team I'm sure helped.
It was obvious they totally changed their usual game plan to pound UCLA knowing they were a smaller defense, and probably thinking they would get frustrated by not being able to do much, and the offense would get frustrated by not getting the ball as much as they would like and make too many aggressive mistakes. Their defense was getting very chippy, and the refs should have called a few personal fouls throughout, especially the one Reilly lost his toast on. If they would have called the obvious face mask on Tommy's fumble, NU would most likely have scored there, and NU's defense was hurt when they hosed Gerry on the targeting call. UCLA got the calls, and still got their lunch handed to them.

I'm just upset that Langdork said all year they didn't trust their running game, but when it counted the B1G ground and pound style was priceless. It took all the pressure off Tommy, made his passing very proficient when needed and even chose his spots for keeping the rock well. This was Nebraska football. I just hope Reilly finally realized that.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
jessep28 wrote:With Riley and others past coaching gigs at Oregon State, playing another Pac-12 team I'm sure helped.
It was obvious they totally changed their usual game plan to pound UCLA knowing they were a smaller defense, and probably thinking they would get frustrated by not being able to do much, and the offense would get frustrated by not getting the ball as much as they would like and make too many aggressive mistakes. Their defense was getting very chippy, and the refs should have called a few personal fouls throughout, especially the one Reilly lost his toast on. If they would have called the obvious face mask on Tommy's fumble, NU would most likely have scored there, and NU's defense was hurt when they hosed Gerry on the targeting call. UCLA got the calls, and still got their lunch handed to them.

I'm just upset that Langdork said all year they didn't trust their running game, but when it counted the B1G ground and pound style was priceless. It took all the pressure off Tommy, made his passing very proficient when needed and even chose his spots for keeping the rock well. This was Nebraska football. I just hope Reilly finally realized that.

The game plan used against UCLA would not have had the same success against everone but you will not convince me that it would not have worked as well or better against Illinois and Purdue
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:

The game plan used against UCLA would not have had the same success against everone but you will not convince me that it would not have worked as well or better against Illinois and Purdue
Absolutely agree.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I did not agree with that targeting call against Nate Gerry. That was stupid. He did exactly what he was supposed to do; Tackle the player with the ball. It's in the textbook. And he gets called for targeting? That's bull$hit!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:I did not agree with that targeting call against Nate Gerry. That was stupid. He did exactly what he was supposed to do; Tackle the player with the ball. It's in the textbook. And he gets called for targeting? That's bull$hit!
From the perspective of the coverage, the only people who disagree with you is that officiating crew. Even ESPN, no fans of the Huskers, didn't support the call.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Absolutely agree.

We would have been better off running more in most every game. Even against Iowa, with it being so cold, NU should have ran more.

Even the announcers during the bowl game were questioning a couple times we were trying to throw inside the 10 (one resulted in NU settling for a field goal, after a bad pass play on 3rd down).

I agree we definitely beat Illinois and Purdue with a commitment to the run.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I don't get this aversion to running. TO found this out back in the 70's. In Nebraska, the atmospherics and the temperatures make a passing game unpredictable. He went to a running game. The team got one dimensional, but even when he let people pass, it was to mix up running plays.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:I don't get this aversion to running. TO found this out back in the 70's. In Nebraska, the atmospherics and the temperatures make a passing game unpredictable. He went to a running game. The team got one dimensional, but even when he let people pass, it was to mix up running plays.
TO knew the right moments to call a play action pass. When the safeties started to cheat, when they loaded the box...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

bigredmed wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I did not agree with that targeting call against Nate Gerry. That was stupid. He did exactly what he was supposed to do; Tackle the player with the ball. It's in the textbook. And he gets called for targeting? That's bull$hit!
From the perspective of the coverage, the only people who disagree with you is that officiating crew. Even ESPN, no fans of the Huskers, didn't support the call.
Yeah, obviously. It just goes to show the officials are buttbrains.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Yeah, obviously. It just goes to show the officials are buttbrains.
The NFL and the NCAA are going to have to get their shows in order. If the refs continue to regularly |expletive| out, they are going to have a fan revolt.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Professional Football and Division 1 Football benefit from having no competition. No matter how bad the referees are, they are still the best at what they do.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, to be fair, they were ACC officials, and they don't see that kind of form hitting very often there. :P
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Nebraska couldn't have run on Iowa or Michigan State's defenses this year. You are right that some of those close games they lost and maybe Purdue could have been won.

However a more balanced run and pass attack is needed in the future. Some old school Nebraska run game plus Riley's passing offense could be very successful especially when Riley gets a quarterback better suited to his offense.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

There are WAY too many bowl games. Most of them are pointless and meaningless.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

mrsticka wrote:There are WAY too many bowl games. Most of them are pointless and meaningless.
More football to watch, I'm not complaining.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:There are WAY too many bowl games. Most of them are pointless and meaningless.
The great thing about all the bowls is that you CAN choose not to watch them. As far as meaningless goes there are many games through the season that are no more meaningful that some of the bowls so that should not be a qualifier for hosting a bowl.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In my view, a much better post-season for college football would be individual 8-team conference tournaments, then a 16-team national playoff. The last 2 remaining teams would play in the College Super Bowl, which like the Super Bowl, would be played on a Sunday.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:In my view, a much better post-season for college football would be individual 8-team conference tournaments, then a 16-team national playoff. The last 2 remaining teams would play in the College Super Bowl, which like the Super Bowl, would be played on a Sunday.
Start with 4 team conference playoffs by cutting one of the BS non conf games, then playoff between the conf winners.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The market will decide if there are too many bowls. And it's TV, not attendance that is the deciding factor. The ratings are still strong enough (look at football bowl ratings vs college basketball, for all the talk about too many bowls, the bowls still crush men's basketball).

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:The market will decide if there are too many bowls. And it's TV, not attendance that is the deciding factor. The ratings are still strong enough (look at football bowl ratings vs college basketball, for all the talk about too many bowls, the bowls still crush men's basketball).

Greg
Basketball is getting crushed by reruns of the Big Bang Theory. Too bleeping many teams playing fundamentally meaningless low stakes games. Most of the Bowls are meaningless, but like the Husker game, there is some interest in that there is the preceding season or intraconf rivalries to add something.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think it was stupid of them to play the games on new years eve. I would have liked to watch them, but I was busy celebrating the new year. I wonder how many other people chose to celebrate than watch football.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Busguy2010 wrote:I think it was stupid of them to play the games on new years eve. I would have liked to watch them, but I was busy celebrating the new year. I wonder how many other people chose to celebrate than watch football.
I think I heard ratings were down 35%
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Washington's Matt Farniok chooses Nebraska

The 6-foot-5, 316-pound lineman had offers from 17 different schools including Wisconsin, Florida State and Oklahoma. In early Dec

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... /79441650/
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Didn't want to bring up a super old thread so posted here

I wonder, with all the low-grade bowl games being played, why TD Ameritrade park wouldn't host a bowl game?

Mid to late December here isn't terrible weather-wise. I just imagine what the numbers would be if we would fill the sideline and end zone seats. Would have to be close to 15,000.

Some of the lowest attended bowl games are at that, and I'd have to believe Omaha sports fans would pick up any slack.

Heartland Bowl? Tech City Bowl? Sunset Bowl? American Family Insurance Family City Bowl?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm sure it would be TD Ameritrade Bowl and I would be very surprised if they have not already thought of it and run the numbers.

We could hope for Berkshire Hathaway Bowl (fat chance) or even NFM Bowl but realistically the only way it would happen is for some corporate entity to sponsor it for the name exposure.