Nebraska Football 2015

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Football 2015

Post by bigredmed »

Congratulations on a much better game and the victory.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Boy, did we need this win. If we had lost, then the rest of the season probably would've gone straight to he ll. We also had our first pick 6 in 2 years.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

They can have as many free interceptions as they want. The secondary is still playing poorly. They don't turn around to play the ball! It's awful. They made some good plays today but there is so much room for improvement. It's frustrating but I trust they'll get it eventually.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just when I thought Langsdork was calling a good game, on a series when they needed to run time off the clock they ran the ball on first down for 12 yards, but then three pass plays and out. Their secondary got burnt on numerous third and longs, missing too many assignments. But, they just may be 5-4 when Sparty comes to town for bowl eligibility.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

“I apologize,” Penguins coach Bo Pelini said. “Obviously, I didn’t have this team ready to play and I really don’t have much of an explanation for it.
“I don’t know if I’ve ever been this disappointed and this embarrassed. It’s been a long time,” Pelini said. “We didn’t show up.”
- So I yelled some choice vulgarities at them.

That girls expression is priceless...
image.jpg
image.jpg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote: “I don’t know if I’ve ever been this disappointed and this embarrassed. It’s been a long time,” Pelini...

It's been like, a year, tops.
No posts exist for this topic
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

We got Northwestern coming here this Saturday. And I'm expecting it to be a close one. When they came here 2 years ago, we beat them on a last-second Hail Mary. But I don't see that happening this year. I just hope we don't have a close lead only to have it taken away from us at the last second.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:“I don’t know if I’ve ever been this disappointed and this embarrassed. It’s been a long time,” Pelini...
That photo is, as said, priceless. :)

I assume they lost that day. :)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
Coyote wrote:“I don’t know if I’ve ever been this disappointed and this embarrassed. It’s been a long time,” Pelini...
That photo is, as said, priceless. :)

I assume they lost that day. :)
Yes
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I assume Pelini has permanently deleted Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin from his memory.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Who wants to entertain the idea that this could happen? The boys become men over the next two games, beating Northwestern 42-21, and Purdue 55-10.

In the mean time, In their near empty stadium, Miami beats Clemson by 3 on a final-play-hail-mary to a raucous crowd of 20. In the west, Utah is responsible for millions of dollars to USC betters by upholding the upset line.

Back to Nebraska, riding a wave of new found confidence, the team welcomes #5 ranked Michigan State in front of a nation only watching to see Nebraska blown out yet again. Nebraska goes down 21 points in the first quarter and most watchers tune out. However, Michigan state's offense stalls and Nebraska throws a hail mary Touchdown it the end of the half 21-7. Both offenses remain stalled out of the half, and half way through the fourth quarter Nebraska wakes up after one more huge State pass Touchdown. Feeling fairly comfortable since they are always down 21 in big games, Nebraska rises up and scores three touchdowns in the final 6 minutes to tie it up. In Overtime, Nebraska scores on a first snap fumble by State to win 34-28 (they don't kick the PAT as the field is stormed by jubilant Husker fans). The next day, The HUSKERS ARE RANKED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE SEASON AT 25.

A week later they run the table at Rutgers with another BLOWOUT WIN 45-7, while Iowa is narrowly defeated by Minnesota. Nebraska is ranked 23 and Iowa is at 18. During the long weekend Iowa kills Purdue and Wisconsin loses in heartbreaking fashion to Northwestern. At Ohio State, Michigan State is embarrassed 62-21.

The day after Thanksgiving, #23 Nebraska sees # 15 Iowa come to town to decide the West Championship. As expected Nebraska ruins Iowa's hopes of winning the west, handing them a heartbreaking loss. NEBRASKA WINS THE WEST DIVISION to everyone's surprise.

In lucas Oil Stadium, #17 Nebraska looks to redeem its past championship embarrassments against the #1 team in the country. Nebraska comes out riding their wave of redemption - having won 6 straight in decided fashion - keeping pace with Ohio state punch for punch. At the half, the score is tied 28-28. The players and coaches are all smiles going into the locker room, feeling like they've already won just by keeping up. Coming out of the half feeling like superman, Tommy throws his first interception in 6 games and it goes the other way for a TD. Ohio State continues to score two Touchdowns, while Nebraska sputters. The score is 49-28 at the end of the third quarter. Having settled into the idea of winning the Big 10 and moving on to win the National Championship, Ohio state relaxes. In typical Husker fashion, the offense wakes up in the 4th and scores 3 touchdowns, the last on the final play. Riding the momentum, Mike Riley decides to go for 2 to win, reminding every Husker fan of the failed attempt in the 1984 national championship. "Why would you!?" every fan yells! "FIRE MIKE RILEY!"

The snap... On a run play to Imani Cross, is fumbled by Tommy Armstrong, THE BALL BUMPS AND ROLLS BACKWARD 10 yards. But in a miracle, it bounces back up into Tommy's hands, he looks up and shakes off two tackles and scrambles. Looking downfield, he sees De'Mornay WIDE OPEN and throws a 20 yard pass for 2 points to WIN THE BIG 10 CHAMPIONSHIP! Everyone calling for Mike Riley's head is now kissing his feet.

Now onto the PLAYOFFS...

Playoffs? Playoffs? We're not going to the playoffs. Playoffs?

Thought I was crazy right? This season can still be great. Not going to the playoffs no matter if we pull off the miracle I just described above. But can you imagine!?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Last week was the first week this year I did not pick the winner so lets hope I am wrong again this week as I am going to predict:

Nebraska 27 Northwestern 28
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Haha, well it was a nice thought.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Right now I have to say the new coach is flunking the exam. He needs to move Tommie Armstrong to RB or HB and start training a new QB for next year.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I watched the 4th quarter and from what I saw Tommy wasn't the problem. I saw him put it in the right spot a few times and it was just blatantly dropped. Any receiver will tell you if it hits them in the hands they should catch it, no excuses.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I guess we can forget about going to a bowl game this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No Tommy Armstrong Saturday, Fife will get the start...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

mrsticka wrote:I guess we can forget about going to a bowl game this year.

Actually no. I don't know how but supposedly NU can still go if there are 5 and 7. I always thought you had to have 6 wins. The OWH and local sports talk have both reported we could go with 5 and 7. The benefit would be the extra practices which we really really need (can't see too many fans traveling for it though).

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I guess we can forget about going to a bowl game this year.

Actually no. I don't know how but supposedly NU can still go if there are 5 and 7. I always thought you had to have 6 wins. The OWH and local sports talk have both reported we could go with 5 and 7. The benefit would be the extra practices which we really really need (can't see too many fans traveling for it though).

Greg
If there are not enough teams with 6 wins to fill the bowl slots (40 games +/-) and there will not be, then a 5-7 team can be considered. If you are 5-7 you are considered based on your academic ranking I believe, and the Huskers still rank well there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You are correct. If not enough six win teams are eligible, a 5 win team can be invited based on their academic record.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Nebraska 38 Purdue 17

We can only hope that coach Riley finally sees the light this week and we never see Tommie Armstrong at the QB position again. Tommie's career as a QB is over.........has been over for years. It serves everybodies best interest if Tommie is moved to RB or HB.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Prediction: Nebraska 38 Purdue 17

We can only hope that coach Riley finally sees the light this week and we never see Tommie Armstrong at the QB position again. Tommie's career as a QB is over.........has been over for years. It serves everybodies best interest if Tommie is moved to RB or HB.

Tommy has not been perfect by a long shot but he also has been far from the biggest issue this year.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Article about bowl eligibility for 5-7 teams;

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -5-7-teams
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jag42 wrote:Article about bowl eligibility for 5-7 teams;

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -5-7-teams

SCRATCH THAT
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I don't think I've ever seen a worse Nebraska football team in my life. Good god, is the city of Lincoln on suicide watch yet? If not, it should be.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

MadMartin8 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a worse Nebraska football team in my life. Good god, is the city of Lincoln on suicide watch yet? If not, it should be.
It's always amazing to me to be reminded that there are a lot of people whose happiness depends a on the outcome of a game, played by 20-year olds who they've never met. I watched the game. I enjoy college football. It's the fans that scare me.

The new coach was a head scratching hire and might never have much success at NU, but I cannot understand how angry many people are at him. How can people be so angry at a coach when the coach is certainly doing his best?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Nebraska 34 Michigan St 37

The vegas odds on this only have Michigan St favored by 6. That dont make no sense since we all know Michigan State should beat Nebraska 42 to 9. Then you figure this is a night game and all bettors know that the late games tend to get screwy. Then you got that boob the "Big Red Insider" picking Michigan State to win by 10 and that guys not right very often. It will be a close game and Nebraska might even win it. :D
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

AS acknowledged by the Football program today Matt Finnin and Jordan Stevenson have left the team.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:AS acknowledged by the Football program today Matt Finnin and Jordan Stevenson have left the team.

For the record I said earlier this year that the odds were that Wisconsin knew exactly what they were doing when they ditched Jordan Stevenson and Nebraska should of left him alone. Of course I was gang banged and treated like the village idiot in this forum for stating the obvious. :evil:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
nebugeater wrote:AS acknowledged by the Football program today Matt Finnin and Jordan Stevenson have left the team.

For the record I said earlier this year that the odds were that Wisconsin knew exactly what they were doing when they ditched Jordan Stevenson and Nebraska should of left him alone. Of course I was gang banged and treated like the village idiot in this forum for stating the obvious. :evil:
You said he is covered in tattoos and going to be in prison, lol.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

You said he is covered in tattoos and going to be in prison, lol.
There will be time for that I'm afraid. :D
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha1000 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a worse Nebraska football team in my life. Good god, is the city of Lincoln on suicide watch yet? If not, it should be.
It's always amazing to me to be reminded that there are a lot of people whose happiness depends a on the outcome of a game, played by 20-year olds who they've never met. I watched the game. I enjoy college football. It's the fans that scare me.

The new coach was a head scratching hire and might never have much success at NU, but I cannot understand how angry many people are at him. How can people be so angry at a coach when the coach is certainly doing his best?
For what its worth, there are people out there that rely on high school teams. He just needs more time to get his team together. I really liked the hire

Mike Riley through first 9 games at NU: Won 3 by 70pts, lost 6 by 22pts. Average differential in wins=+23.3. Avg. diff. in losses=-3.6. Total diff=+48
Bo Pelini through first 9 games at NU: Won 5 by 113pts, lost 4 by 80pts. Average differential in wins = +22.6 Avg. diff in Losses =-20 Total diff=+33

This year is a fluke. They could easily be 8-1 or 9-0
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, big upset for the Huskers. They deserved to win one!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Terrible ruling regarding that force out, but I'll take it. I would have liked to see a Husker win on a bad call happen against Texas though.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, big upset for the Huskers. They deserved to win one!
Except that it was an illegal TD. :P
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

That was about an exciting finish as the Hail Mary against Northwestern 2 years ago. I just couldn't believe it.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The refs had plenty of time to review the TD and if it shouldn't have counted, they would have overturned it. We, as fans and spectators can't say a whole lot. It was a touchdown according to the judges of this game.

Nebraska just had among its worst losses in history, and to come home and beat one of the best teams in the country, I value this win as the best (and most important) during this decade.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:That was about an exciting finish as the Hail Mary against Northwestern 2 years ago. I just couldn't believe it.
I agree! That was the last win that felt as good as this one. I know a lot of people who are downplaying this win, oh well. All I know is they beat #7 and by the time Iowa comes to town, they may well have a chance to beat another #7 or #6 and still go to a bowl game.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:That was about an exciting finish as the Hail Mary against Northwestern 2 years ago. I just couldn't believe it.
I agree! That was the last win that felt as good as this one.
Could you imagine us still being in the Big 12 and beating Oklahoma on a Hail Mary? Now THAT would be a wild finish. Probably would go down as one of the most memorable moments in College Football history.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, big upset for the Huskers. They deserved to win one!
Except that it was an illegal TD. :P
But you can't say the Huskers didn't deserve it. They played an undefeated top ten team to get to that position. They should have been trounced based on how well MSU has played this year. But they weren't, they were neck and neck. Even if it could be called back they had time for two more heaves to the endzone and Tommy was on a roll on that drive.
Also let's not forget the blatant pass interference on the earlier drive that injured Alonzo Moore. The commentators even went off about it.