Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2015

Post by MadMartin8 »

Louie wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, big upset for the Huskers. They deserved to win one!
Except that it was an illegal TD. :P
But you can't say the Huskers didn't deserve it. They played an undefeated top ten team to get to that position. They should have been trounced based on how well MSU has played this year. But they weren't, they were neck and neck. Even if it could be called back they had time for two more heaves to the endzone and Tommy was on a roll on that drive.
Also let's not forget the blatant pass interference on the earlier drive that injured Alonzo Moore. The commentators even went off about it.
Jesus it's easy to get you Husker fans going. :lol:
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Even if the force out could have been reviewed, who knows if there was indisputable evidence from the high camera angles to overturn the ruling.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Louie wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, big upset for the Huskers. They deserved to win one!
Except that it was an illegal TD. :P
But you can't say the Huskers didn't deserve it. They played an undefeated top ten team to get to that position. They should have been trounced based on how well MSU has played this year. But they weren't, they were neck and neck. Even if it could be called back they had time for two more heaves to the endzone and Tommy was on a roll on that drive.
Also let's not forget the blatant pass interference on the earlier drive that injured Alonzo Moore. The commentators even went off about it.
Jesus it's easy to get you Husker fans going. :lol:
There was also the bad call for pass interference that wasn't called on MSU at 3:36 in the 4th that was on the 2 yard line and would have given the Huskers a TD then. Note the two illegal substitution acts that MSU only got called on once. The first would have given the Huskers a first down and put them in position for a second TD. All of these were just in the last part of the 4th. I am not a Husker fan, but the receiver was being forced out if bounds, got in front, got back in, caught the ball, and scored. Off the questionable calls in the final 5 minutes, there were three. Two clearly benefitted MSU.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed wrote:There was also the bad call for pass interference that wasn't called on MSU at 3:36 in the 4th that was on the 2 yard line and would have given the Huskers a TD then. Note the two illegal substitution acts that MSU only got called on once. The first would have given the Huskers a first down and put them in position for a second TD. All of these were just in the last part of the 4th. I am not a Husker fan, but the receiver was being forced out if bounds, got in front, got back in, caught the ball, and scored. Off the questionable calls in the final 5 minutes, there were three. Two clearly benefitted MSU.
Yeah there were a few uncalled penalties in that last bit.

If MSU is as good as it was supposed to be, and the Huskers as bad as they were supposed to be, it would have been MSU 55-Nebraska 7. The game should have been over after Nebraska went down 12, but they scored 13 in 4 minutes. Nebraska just reminded us they are good at coming back when they're down, and MSU showed us they aren't all that good at stopping quick drives. Had Nebraska played defense like they did on MSU's last two drives, they would be 9-1 or 10-0

They ought to feel like Husker fans in BYU, Miami, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. Been there, done that.

It is also this kind of "chaos" that reaffirms my belief that any rankings system should be abolished, and a true playoff system like the NFL should be used. I take the way SEC teams have moved up and down the rankings scale as a prime example. Especially when you look at Ole Miss and how they went from mid-rank, to high rank, to lower rank, to unranked all within a few weeks of play. I am thinking since Nebraska is unranked, the commitee may view their loss as a "blip" rather than a true loss, and they could be right back in it if they win out.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The college ranking system is bad. There will be no changes in it as long as there is this much money in home games. The pros added home field advantage to play offs. This made it worth it. Superbowl is the only away game for both teams. College has no way of creating supraconference home field advantage because none of the big time teams play each other and rarely play common opponents. If OSU had to be compare to Iowa, how many shared opponents do you they have? And they are both Big 10. Add in Baylor and how do you fairly compare the three?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed wrote:The college ranking system is bad. There will be no changes in it as long as there is this much money in home games. The pros added home field advantage to play offs. This made it worth it. Superbowl is the only away game for both teams. College has no way of creating supraconference home field advantage because none of the big time teams play each other and rarely play common opponents. If OSU had to be compare to Iowa, how many shared opponents do you they have? And they are both Big 10. Add in Baylor and how do you fairly compare the three?
It could be created in a way that would be like the NFL, it would just look nothing like the current system. Every conference would have to be dissolved and recreated in a regional format. It would be really weird because you'd have teams like Florida and Florida State playing FIU and South Florida on a yearly basis, along with playing each other. It's great in theory, I just don't think it'll happen because there's no way to force a college to join a specific conference.

But yeah, you are right about homefield advantage. In a college playoff, every playoff game would have to be a bowl game.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Ok, explain this to me, and I'm not a football rules expert by any means. No two people seem to be giving me the same answer on this.

i always thought that if a guy stepped out of bounds, he was out for the rest of the play? Correct? I also thought that it was the job of the defense to get the offensive players down or out of bounds, correct?

i still don't understand why he was still playing and eligible to catch the ball and score.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:Ok, explain this to me, and I'm not a football rules expert by any means. No two people seem to be giving me the same answer on this.

i always thought that if a guy stepped out of bounds, he was out for the rest of the play? Correct? I also thought that it was the job of the defense to get the offensive players down or out of bounds, correct?

i still don't understand why he was still playing and eligible to catch the ball and score.
I a player steps out of bounds he is no longer part of the play unless it is deemed that he was forced out of bounds by a player from the opposite team. If forced out of bounds he can come back in bounds and continue.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
Omababe wrote:Ok, explain this to me, and I'm not a football rules expert by any means. No two people seem to be giving me the same answer on this.

I a player steps out of bounds he is no longer part of the play unless it is deemed that he was forced out of bounds by a player from the opposite team. If forced out of bounds he can come back in bounds and continue.
He clearly was so, and even ESPN admitted it this morning. The WallStreet Journal had an article about this rash of controversial calls in college football. Centered around lack of central review and variable numbers of cameras and direction of cameras in games. Some as many as 15 and some as few as 7. The big factor not stressed is that these officials are paid per game. Big time sports need big time officiating.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:I a player steps out of bounds he is no longer part of the play unless it is deemed that he was forced out of bounds by a player from the opposite team. If forced out of bounds he can come back in bounds and continue.
Okay, I guess I learned something new here. I always thought it was one of the jobs of the opposing players to try to force them out if they could.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omababe wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I a player steps out of bounds he is no longer part of the play unless it is deemed that he was forced out of bounds by a player from the opposite team. If forced out of bounds he can come back in bounds and continue.
Okay, I guess I learned something new here. I always thought it was one of the jobs of the opposing players to try to force them out if they could.
Interestingly, though, in the Denver @ Indianapolis game last weekend, TY Hilton was forced out of bounds in a similar way Riley was. If not more forcefully. Yet, the call went in favor of the defense. College football :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pro rules are different. If a WR catches in bounds but never touches the ground, you could literally carry him out of bounds... incomplete pass.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:Pro rules are different. If a WR catches in bounds but never touches the ground, you could literally carry him out of bounds... incomplete pass.
I know the difference in rule, I just realize more each year that college football is a really messy game; in play, execution, rules and officiating. That's why I eye rolled. And its all because of inexperience and frankly, lack of high level talent. As I get older than the players, I think they shouldn't be held up to such high scrutiny and regard as they are.

It's a spirit game to me except in the case of the players who are playing for their future in football. Most college football players know they aren't going to play in the NFL. Then there are those who are trying out to no end. Really, I don't think college football should be such the huge market it is.

Heck, I saw high school games are being aired on ESPN weekly. There shouldn't be a market for these entirely unpaid high school games, and scholarship college games, in my opinion.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Nebraska 37 Rutgers 31

More weak pass defense plus a couple of Tommie's infamous give away interceptions will make this game way closer then it ever should of been.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Prediction: Nebraska 37 Rutgers 31

More weak pass defense plus a couple of Tommie's infamous give away interceptions will make this game way closer then it ever should of been.

Swing and a miss.
No posts exist for this topic
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, secondary is improving, and 6 sacks. Tommy's INT's continue to make things interesting, would have been a shut out otherwise.

Bring on the Hawkeyes!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MadMartin8 wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Prediction: Nebraska 37 Rutgers 31

Swing and a miss.

Not exactly. I predicted Nebraska would win and they did. I predicted that Tommie's interceptions would make the game way closer then it ever should of been and if you had actually watched the game you know Tommie did have an awful day. I was wrong about the defense who did a good job of rescuing us from Tommie's 3 bad interceptions. I'm sorry I am not perfect sir like you but in the prediction world 2 out of 3 aint bad.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Given the spread was NU -8.5, and you predicted a 6 point win, according to Vegas, You Lost!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Given the spread was NU -8.5, and you predicted a 6 point win, according to Vegas, You Lost!

Pick pick pick pick pick......what a bunch of nit pickers :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:Given the spread was NU -8.5, and you predicted a 6 point win, according to Vegas, You Lost!

Pick pick pick pick pick......what a bunch of nit pickers :roll:
Still makes you a loser :yes:
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I didn't even notice yesterday, but the team wore red pants for the first time this season for a road game.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:I didn't even notice yesterday, but the team wore red pants for the first time this season for a road game.
I prefer to see them in white pants on the road because I have seen too many bad road losses with red pants. Obviously it doesn't make a difference, but I like the white pants white shirt combo. If they are to keep the red pants at all, I would like to see them worn at home on occasion.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I didn't even notice yesterday, but the team wore red pants for the first time this season for a road game.
I prefer to see them in white pants on the road because I have seen too many bad road losses with red pants. Obviously it doesn't make a difference, but I like the white pants white shirt combo. If they are to keep the red pants at all, I would like to see them worn at home on occasion.
How would a red helmet, white shirt and red pants look on the road? Personally, I'd like to see the "N" on the helmets changed to the proper "N" logo.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Looks like Tommies bad decisions did not stop with 3 interceptions last Saturday. We now find out that a woman is claiming she got raped at his house in Lincoln Saturday night. And the hits keep coming, what an embarasment this team has become. :cry:
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Looks like Tommies bad decisions did not stop with 3 interceptions last Saturday. We now find out that a woman is claiming she got raped at his house in Lincoln Saturday night. And the hits keep coming, what an embarasment this team has become. :cry:
They seem to be very hush-hush as to exactly who the accused is! :(
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omababe wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Looks like Tommies bad decisions did not stop with 3 interceptions last Saturday. We now find out that a woman is claiming she got raped at his house in Lincoln Saturday night. And the hits keep coming, what an embarasment this team has become. :cry:
They seem to be very hush-hush as to exactly who the accused is! :(
No doubt a monumental behind the scenes effort is going on in Lincoln trying to buy off the woman so she drops the charges and shuts her mouth forever.
I take it Tommie and his friends missed that speech last week given by Vice-President Biden begging and scolding college men to stop the rampant raping and taking advantage of women going on around college campuses.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

From the behavior of the cops, it seems unlikely that either player did anything wrong and they are taking their sweet, don't want another UNL student hanging in a jail cell, time about it. This makes me wonder if they have questions about time line or they are waiting for physical evidence.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a good article talking about the Nebraska/Iowa rivalry.

Iowa vs. Nebraska: Ground Zero of a Real and Underrated Rivalry

I like this statement about Omaha:
Standing tall between the Iowa cornfields and Nebraska plains, straddling the mighty Missouri River, sits the Omaha Metro. This Midwestern hub is home to nearly one million people who strive, work and live together to make the area a pleasant place, both to visit or to put down roots. If you ever wanted to show a foreigner an example of a classically American, working-class town with everything the big cities have to offer and without the traffic and hassle, the Omaha metro would be at the top of that list.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

If Iowa wins, they're in. But I have a feeling Nebraska will get another upset!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is a good article talking about the Nebraska/Iowa rivalry.

Standing tall between the Iowa cornfields and Nebraska plains, straddling the mighty Missouri River, sits the Omaha Metro. This Midwestern hub is home to nearly one million people who strive, work and live together to make the area a pleasant place, both to visit or to put down roots. If you ever wanted to show a foreigner an example of a classically American, working-class town with everything the big cities have to offer and without the traffic and hassle, the Omaha metro would be at the top of that list.
That's a good read. Omaha is really the only place in this state where it's socially acceptable to not be a Husker fan. I appreciate mixing with Hawkeye fans.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Busguy2010 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Here is a good article talking about the Nebraska/Iowa rivalry.

That's a good read. Omaha is really the only place in this state where it's socially acceptable to not be a Husker fan. I appreciate mixing with Hawkeye fans.
Omaha and the Panhandle. Lots of Wyoming and Chadron State fans and some CSU fans out west.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Rape charges being dropped or dismissed.

It has been announced that a press conference will be held tomorrow by the Lincoln Police Department addressing the current rape investigation about a party that went bad at Tommie's house. I predict that the accuser has been convinced to change her story and the investigation will be dropped. It could be announced that Tommie and friends are indeed involved in a rape and the university will suspend them and they will not be playing Friday. But that aint happening!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

The story that I have heard from a son of an LPD officer (so take it with a grain of salt) is that Tommie was with 4 girls saturday night and one was 'injured' during the event.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Louie wrote:The story that I have heard from a son of an LPD officer (so take it with a grain of salt) is that Tommie was with 4 girls saturday night and one was 'injured' during the event.
That sure leads the mind to wonder. Just what does that mean that he was with 4 girls? And injured?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Louie wrote:The story that I have heard from a son of an LPD officer (so take it with a grain of salt) is that Tommie was with 4 girls saturday night and one was 'injured' during the event.
That sure leads the mind to wonder. Just what does that mean that he was with 4 girls? And injured?
Well I was trying to keep the language PG, but I can address this more directly. He was sexually involved with 4 girls concurrently and one woke up the next morning with vaginal pain and told her parents about it. Then they decided to call the cops.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction Nebraska 24 Iowa 38

Tommie used up all his luck and concentration beating those rape accusations this week and is out of gas. Tommie has a bad day throwing 4 interceptions. Iowa is legit and they never trail from the get go.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

It looks like bad Tommy showed up today.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

twiztid1 wrote:It looks like bad Tommy showed up today.
Bad Tommie always shows up. Just depends how much we see of him.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:It looks like bad Tommy showed up today.
Bad Tommie always shows up. Just depends how much we see of him.
Yep, too much already. Newby isn't helping either. He had a huge hole before Tommy's pick six.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think Tommy has completed as many passes to Iowa as Nebraska...