Nebraska Football 2015

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2015

Post by Busguy2010 »

If the receivers could catch, this game would have been well out of reach for Illinois.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I did not agree with those pass interference calls at the end.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This is perhaps the first time in my life I've felt bad for Nebraska fans.
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I see the sellout record ending.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Some in my camp are speculating that Riley era is just a one year deal until Jim Tressel goes off of bowl suspension. Considering that Shawn Eichorst is a lawyer and seems like the slimy type, I wouldn't doubt something like that happening.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:Some in my camp are speculating that Riley era is just a one year deal until Jim Tressel goes off of bowl suspension. Considering that Shawn Eichorst is a lawyer and seems like the slimy type, I wouldn't doubt something like that happening.
Riley is not in trouble yet but if hes going to stick with turnover Tommie hes going to be riding a sinking ship deep into the murky depths of dark rough seas. If Riley is even half a coach he has to be able to see by now that Tommie has no business playing the QB position. Tommie may have been the player of the week a week ago but yesterday Tommie was the goat for sure. He was told to hold onto the ball and run it so they could kill the clock at the end of the game and for some insane reason he tried to pass the ball and stopped the clock. It was classic Tommie for those of us that have been watching him for the past 2 years.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:I did not agree with those pass interference calls at the end.
I didn't agree with the first one, which is the one that mattered. I agreed with the other one, but that opportunity shouldn't have presented itself.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Clock management. Clock management. Clock management. BYU and now Illinois. Then again, Nebraska should never be coming down to the wire vs. Illinois.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I did not agree with those pass interference calls at the end.
I didn't agree with the first one, which is the one that mattered. I agreed with the other one, but that opportunity shouldn't have presented itself.
That's what happens when defenders don't turn their heads to find the ball. This face guarding technique is just awful.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I have a feeling that next week is gonna be a bloodbath! :(
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omababe wrote:I have a feeling that next week is gonna be a bloodbath! :(
Even with a weakened Wisconsin team, playing in Madison, means Huskers lose by >14 or win by 2. Probably lose by >14.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed wrote:
Omababe wrote:I have a feeling that next week is gonna be a bloodbath! :(
Even with a weakened Wisconsin team, playing in Madison, means Huskers lose by >14 or win by 2. Probably lose by >14.
That one does happen to be in Lincoln which I hope helps. Something in me still has hope for that game.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The only positive I see for the Wisconsin game is that Nebraska's run defense is solid and Wisconsin's offense is not very good.

That said Wisconsin could probably shut out Nebraska.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

How do you suppose Barney Cotton would've done if he were head coach this season? He didn't do too bad as coach during the Holiday Bowl despite losing. So that leads me to believe he would've done better than Riley.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

mrsticka wrote:How do you suppose Barney Cotton would've done if he were head coach this season? He didn't do too bad as coach during the Holiday Bowl despite losing. So that leads me to believe he would've done better than Riley.
It would not matter who was coaching this team they were going to get beat often. Bo Pelini was a lousy judge of talent and a bad recruiter which was his true downfall. Its going to take a couple of years to clean Pelini's bad recruits out of the system.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
mrsticka wrote:How do you suppose Barney Cotton would've done if he were head coach this season? He didn't do too bad as coach during the Holiday Bowl despite losing. So that leads me to believe he would've done better than Riley.
It would not matter who was coaching this team they were going to get beat often. Bo Pelini was a lousy judge of talent and a bad recruiter which was his true downfall. Its going to take a couple of years to clean Pelini's bad recruits out of the system.
I had to ask. I mean, Riley's a West Coast coach who uses a pro-style offense. Bill Callahan tried that and look how that turned out.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Before the last game the offensive numbers were really good so I conclude that the offense isn't the issue. Turn overs, defensive secondary, time management, critical play calls, and kickoff game are the issues... :shock: Darn that's a lot of issues.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Nebraska 16 Wisconsin 44

Tommie Armstrong throws 2 bad picks in the first half. Nebraska will lose 2 more games after this before they taste victory again. This may be the last time Nebraska is allowed on network TV again this year. :evil:
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

As a fan who closely follows the badgers (I grew up in Madison) I can honestly say I'm a little nervous for this game. I think it will be closer than a lot of people think. Both teams are having a bit of a down year...The Wisconsin D looks really solid, but we are without our top RB, top tight end, and our top receiver is questionable after a concussion last week. Our traditionally dominant O-Line has three freshman starters, so no help there for our reserve backs. It's going to be an ugly offensive game, on both sides. Still think Bucky will win, but should be an entertaining game.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Only this year's Nebraska team can get the break they need at the end of the game and still find a way to lose. Coaches called the last three offensive plays that they needed last week.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

How many more of these last second losses will we suffer? This is getting old.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

mrsticka wrote:I had to ask. I mean, Riley's a West Coast coach who uses a pro-style offense. Bill Callahan tried that and look how that turned out.
You're really not suggesting that the WCO can't win games, are you? A vast majority of the Super Bowls from the 1980s to now have been won by teams running some variant of the WCO. It's a very effective scheme when executed properly.

On a side note, I really couldn't care less about college football anymore except as the vessel by which the NFL gets its players, and the retarded read-option style offenses have been KILLING the level of quarterback play of young players, as NFL defenses shut down those gimmick schemes. I'm all for colleges to return to more pro-style offenses and actually teach offensive players how to handle the mental side of the game.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

twiztid1 wrote:Only this year's Nebraska team can get the break they need at the end of the game and still find a way to lose. Coaches called the last three offensive plays that they needed last week.
You need look no further than the defensive coordinator. You don't sit back in a soft cover 2 shell and only rush 4 when your opponent has all three timeouts, the ball, and only needs a field goal on a relatively short field. That was horrible play calling that a high school defensive coordinator would have been ashamed of. To see that called at this level is astounding.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Bosco55David wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I had to ask. I mean, Riley's a West Coast coach who uses a pro-style offense. Bill Callahan tried that and look how that turned out.
You're really not suggesting that the WCO can't win games, are you? A vast majority of the Super Bowls from the 1980s to now have been won by teams running some variant of the WCO. It's a very effective scheme when executed properly.
Well, that's the NFL. This is College. Those kinds of offenses don't always work.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

mrsticka wrote:Well, that's the NFL. This is College. Those kinds of offenses don't always work.
No offense always works. That said, any offense that works in the NFL can work at the college level. The NFL is where the absolute best football is played and the talent gaps are very small. Even the worst NFL player was a very good player on his college team. If an offense can overcome that talent level, it should excel against the lesser talent in the college ranks. And indeed, the WCO has seen a lot of success in the NCAA. Most recently, USC under Pete Carroll. Even the two spread offenses that started the craze in the college ranks (the ones run by Urban Meyer and Joe Tiller) used a lot of WCO passing concepts.

The problem with the spread option offense is that it uses gimmicks to try to balance out the talent gap. The problem is that the really good defenses can shut that down, like we saw with Auburn and Oregon State a few years back.

But again, my real problem with it is that it kills the mental side of the game, and the game is all mental at the pro level.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It is so obvious, that Tommy is not going through all his progressions. If we have a QB who can do this, and more consistently make the short/high percentage passes, I think this offense works much better. The running game out of it, has actually shown some signs of life.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Write this season off. Let's see how things are next year.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed wrote:Write this season off. Let's see how things are next year.
Definitely the only way to stay sane this season.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

How many more of these debacles will have to occur before people wake up and stop paying ridiculous prices to fill Memorial stadium? The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:How many more of these debacles will have to occur before people wake up and stop paying ridiculous prices to fill Memorial stadium? The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome.
Supporting a team when they are not at their best is not insanity, its called being a good fan, ala not fair weather. I was at the game Saturday and the atmosphere was great, definitely not the ending we were hoping for though.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

While their inability to make a first down and control the clock is disturbing, it still beats having things fall apart and getting completely blown-out, as happened in previous seasons.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nativeomahan wrote:How many more of these debacles will have to occur before people wake up and stop paying ridiculous prices to fill Memorial stadium? The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome.

Fan = Fanatic :)
No posts exist for this topic
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

It might take about 1500 more debacles to start clearing that stadium out would be my guess! This is the midwest and its not like there are alot of other big events. If this was Florida that stadium might be half empty by now. KC Chiefs are the same story. If alot of the NFL teams lost as often as the Chiefs do their stadiums would be half empty but Arrowhead is usually pretty full. People in KC are almost as desperate for things to do as us in Omaha.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm never desperate for things to do. I wish I could clone myself so one of me could do all of the household and yard chores that need to be done each weekend, so the other one of me could spend time doing something more fun, like hiking Fontenelle Forest or hitting Nebraska City (in the fall), or a museum, or a movie, or browsing Benson or the Old Market or Aksarben Village, etc. Even if I was cloned three or four times none of my clones would likely be found eating junk food in front of the TV for hours on end. I must have 300 or more channels available, but I seldom watch more than an hour or two of TV a day, and then it is mostly background noise while I am getting ready for work in the morning.
Now, surfing the Net, that is my one guilty pleasure!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

There were certainly noticeable blocks of empty seating seen during the Callahan era. I'm sure we'll be sold out for some time to come (the university will buy up returned visitor tickets as well, to keep it going), but we'll no doubt see a less than full stadium if the losing trend continues.

Some people around here don't want to hear it, but our fans aren't remarkably different from most other fans. It just happens we've been spoiled by decades of success. By the same token, that has made it that much more difficult for us to deal with a program seeing it's success wane more dramatically as each year passes. We need to exorcise the unrealistic expectations from our fan base, begin to show a little patience and humility.

It's time to stop whining, and sit back and let things take their course, show a little support as the current staff/players work to get things going in the right direction. They're not going anywhere for the time being. No one's going to fire Riley mid-season, hire Jim Tressel/Scott Frost, blah, blah, blah.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

This year is over. Just ride it out for what you can get.

NU has other issues for tickets. They have quit making it an event. STHs used to know home games were on Saturdays at 1:30. They could build schedules around that type of start time. Now games start randomly and often not set till the TV network sets it and people are less willing to put up with that when a team is losing.

They remain extremely expensive. If your product's quality drops, and your price doesn't match the value, you have more people who determine that their fall weekends are better used elsewhere.

Nice thing about Omaha and the Panhandle, being a husker fan is socially optional.

In 5-6 years, I will reconsider my alternate interests and maybe support them, but for now fall is the prettiest and busiest time of the year and they are not on my list of preferred ways to use my Saturdays.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

nativeomahan wrote:I'm never desperate for things to do. I wish I could clone myself so one of me could do all of the household and yard chores that need to be done each weekend, so the other one of me could spend time doing something more fun, like hiking Fontenelle Forest or hitting Nebraska City (in the fall), or a museum, or a movie, or browsing Benson or the Old Market or Aksarben Village, etc. Even if I was cloned three or four times none of my clones would likely be found eating junk food in front of the TV for hours on end. I must have 300 or more channels available, but I seldom watch more than an hour or two of TV a day, and then it is mostly background noise while I am getting ready for work in the morning.
Now, surfing the Net, that is my one guilty pleasure!
I liked your reply. I grew up in a town of 14,000 people and found things to do. Comparatively, in Omaha, there are not enough days in a week to do everything/attend everything that I wish I could. For example, my schedule this week:

Sunday - attend CU volleyball game, watch the new Martian movie in 3D at Aksarben.
Monday - Haunted Hayrack ride
Tuesday - Play in adult volleyball league
Wednesday - Yard Work
Thursday -Bike ride with wife on one of Omaha's or Council Bluffs' trails
Friday - Kristin Chenoweth concert at the Holland
Saturday - Old Market Farmer's market in the morning, watch college football afternoon, dinner in Old Market followed by watching a live band.

In the winter time, there is also CU basketball, UNOmaha Hockey, and more Omaha performing arts events. If we have enough snow, then weekly trips to Mt Crescent.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Prediction: Nebraska 16 Minnesota 31

The worst Nebraska offense I have ever seen will continue to stink the place up this week. About the only thing we can hope for is that the new coach finally sees the light and pulls the plug on Tommie Armstrong. Come on Coach Riley we like you and would like to see you stick around, don't let this kid take you down like the last coach did.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Prediction: Nebraska 16 Minnesota 31

The worst Nebraska offense I have ever seen will continue to stink the place up this week. About the only thing we can hope for is that the new coach finally sees the light and pulls the plug on Tommie Armstrong. Come on Coach Riley we like you and would like to see you stick around, don't let this kid take you down like the last coach did.

Replacing tommy armstrong isnt going to stop teams from being able to pass on us the way they do. Agree, an elite qb helps to make a difference, but we have to beef up the pass defense in a big way.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Can we start talking about what it will take to get into the national title game again now? ;)