Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Re: UNO Basketball 2015-2016

Post by Linkin5 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I think the main point here is all three local D1 teams should be playing eachother every year.
Tell that to Iowa and Iowa St about playing Drake and N. Iowa each year.
Creighton should repay the favor. NU played them for years when they were a lowly MVC team, they could do the same now for UNO.
You mean when Collier and Sadler complained about playing CU cause they kept getting beat. Ahhhh memories.
I'm thinking even further back than that.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I think the main point here is all three local D1 teams should be playing eachother every year.
Creighton should repay the favor. NU played them for years when they were a lowly MVC team, they could do the same now for UNO.
You mean when Collier and Sadler complained about playing CU cause they kept getting beat. Ahhhh memories.

I remember when CU was trying to get NU to play twice a year and CU got all bent because Sadler said no.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:

Yeah, that's a great example with Iowa and Iowa State each playing one of the others. I love what those 4 teams are doing with the Hy Vee Big Four Classic, would be tough here with only 3 D1 teams though. Great example.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:At this point I would rather play UNO than UNL yearly. Might give the Jays a better game than Timmy can.
I would like to see it mixing up as well. Maybe NU and CU can play every 3 years, and work UNO into the mix. In Lee B's column today Oklahoma went on record as stating that in addition to the football teams playing each other in a few years, they want to regularly schedule Nebraska in basketball and baseball. NU could replace Creighton in those years with OU. There is also talk of NU playing Mizzou and K State in coming years.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Yeah, that's a great example with Iowa and Iowa State each playing one of the others. I love what those 4 teams are doing with the Hy Vee Big Four Classic, would be tough here with only 3 D1 teams though. Great example.

Greg

I am confused here as to why you think that is great considering they went from all 4 playing each other on campus to only IU and ISU playing on Campus and then having DU and UNI rotate between ISU and IU at Wells Fargo. It was quite the hit for the MVC schools in Iowa to stop having the big guys come to the Knapp Center and Cedar Falls. I know their fans were furious with the decision. For example last year UNI did not play ISU when each of them really had their best teams in quite some time. Instead ISU blew out Drake while UNI blew out Iowa in Des Moines. It was kind of a cowardly way to end rivalries if you ask me.

For the record I am for CU playing UNO but UNO fans need to realize it's not going to be every year and they probably won't ever go to Baxter (Which is not that great for BBall to begin with). I will admit Timmy was smart and played them right away just to get some fans off his back, I would be interested to see how long it takes UNL to schedule UNO again though.
Last edited by cp jay 07 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Linkin5 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

The Rick Johnson years never happened and you cannot prove they ever happened so stop searching, we burned all the records.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Greg

For the record I am for CU playing UNO but UNO fans need to realize it's not going to be every year and they probably won't ever go to Baxter (Which is not that great for BBall to begin with).
Why not every year? It should be every year. This year, Minn, Miss, and Colorado are playing UNO. NU and CU play several out of state teams that are at the level of the Summit League. By the way, I live near downtown and am mostly a Creighton fan.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Greg

I am confused here as to why you think that is great considering they went from all 4 playing each other on campus to only IU and ISU playing on Campus and then having DU and UNI rotate between ISU and IU at Wells Fargo. It was quite the hit for the MVC schools in Iowa to stop having the big guys come to the Knapp Center and Cedar Falls. I know their fans were furious with the decision. For example last year UNI did not play ISU when each of them really had their best teams in quite some time. Instead ISU blew out Drake while UNI blew out Iowa in Des Moines. It was kind of a cowardly way to end rivalries if you ask me.

For the record I am for CU playing UNO but UNO fans need to realize it's not going to be every year and they probably won't ever go to Baxter (Which is not that great for BBall to begin with). I will admit Timmy was smart and played them right away just to get some fans off his back, I would be interested to see how long it takes UNL to schedule UNO again though.

I would prefer them to play every year but if that's not going to happen this is a cool event in it's place. Plus looking at what we have it's way better (CU not playing UNO at all since UNO went D1, and NU not committing to playing them every year).

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

(5-5) UNO 108
(7-2) Grand Canyon 104 (OT)

Mavs come back from 19 down.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

They seem to be a team prone to terrible stretches of play this year. They seem to play really bad after halftime in every game I've watched this year and are scrambling to come back. Not sure what the issue is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omaha79 wrote:They seem to be a team prone to terrible stretches of play this year. They seem to play really bad after halftime in every game I've watched this year and are scrambling to come back. Not sure what the issue is.
They scored like 60 in the second half of this game...
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Coyote wrote:
omaha79 wrote:They seem to be a team prone to terrible stretches of play this year. They seem to play really bad after halftime in every game I've watched this year and are scrambling to come back. Not sure what the issue is.
They scored like 60 in the second half of this game...
just saying the games at Baxter. They've typically had a tough stretch either at the tail end of the first half, or early in the 2nd half that takes a close game and puts them down by double digits. From that point on, it's been a mad scramble to come back.

Interestingly enough, this has mainly been against other mid major teams. They've seemed to play their most complete basketball against the power 6 conference teams they've played but came up short in every one.

The games against UC Santa Barbara, UMKC, and Eastern Michigan were clinics in bad basketball for long stretches.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

W. Ill 80
UNO 82

UNO wins their first Summit Conference game after falling behind by 16.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I was in attendance at that game yesterday afternoon.. With 10 minutes left, the Leathernecks shooting nearly 60% from the field and up 16, things were looking pretty bleak for the Mavs..

Credit point Guard Devin Patterson for being the spark that fed the comeback. Nice to see..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

So, UNO and Creighton have something in common. They both swept Western Illinois and IUPUI in Omaha.

Maybe these two schools should, I don't know, maybe play each other. That way, we wouldn't have to play the transitive property game anymore.

And, any argument from CU fan that playing these teams is somehow preferable from a strength of schedule and quality of opponent standpoint have been proven invalid.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IUPUI 71
UNO 76
The Omaha men's basketball team registered its first 2-0 start in Summit League play since joining the conference
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went to the game yesterday. First time at Baxter for basketball. Fun game, bigger crowd than I expected.

I was thinking the same thing on Creighton.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:I went to the game yesterday.
Did they get the sound system fixed? I'm not sure what was going on Saturday Night at the Hockey Game, but I couldn't hear the Public Address Announcer at all and the music was very muffled.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it was better Sunday at basketball than hockey on Saturday night.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UNO snaps North Dakota St's 31 win home game streak!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

3-0 in the Summit League!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully they can keep this rolling. Impressive win last night.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

4-0 in the Summit after overcoming a 21 point deficit at South Dakota!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpg
image.jpg (224.38 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Next week's game against Fort Wayne is the biggest UNO basketball game of the young Division I era. Can't wait!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is that at home?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

yes. It's Saturday at 1pm at Baxter.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Joe Lunardi has Omaha in the tourney in his latest Bracketology :) The only team from Nebraska included.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:Joe Lunardi has Omaha in the tourney in his latest Bracketology :) The only team from Nebraska included.

WIn their league tuorny and they are in... right?

The Husker not having a shot.

The Jays can still play themselves in or out.

With all that it is not as crazy as it sounds or as much of a stretch that Omaha would be the one team from the state to make it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:Joe Lunardi has Omaha in the tourney in his latest Bracketology :) The only team from Nebraska included.

Wouldn't that be a crazy turn of events...
OOPS, that was me. Apparently I edited and not quoted!

I went back and fixed the post and the following quote.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:

WIn their league tuorny and they are in... right?

The Husker not having a shot.

The Jays can still play themselves in or out.

With all that it is not as crazy as it sounds or as much of a stretch that Omaha would be the one team from the state to make it.

Never said it was crazy at all. Merely stating a fact :)
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

...and maybe a halfway decent seed. If there are 32 automatic bids, given enough lower RPI teams getting in, they could be in the 13-14 seed range, playing a 3-4 seed....
In the 2016 Bracketmatrix, Summit's SoDak St is a 13 seed
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fort Wayne 76
So Dakota St. 92

Omaha ....................4-0 12-6
Fort Wayne ...............3-1 14-5
South Dakota State .....3-1 14-4
IUPUI ......................3-3 7-14
North Dakota State .....2-2 12-6
Oral Roberts .............3-3 11-9
Denver ....................2-3 10-8
South Dakota .............1-4 9-10
Western Illinois ..........0-4 7-8
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Making the tourney all comes down to the Summit tournament, but if UNO keeps it up and wins the regular season they can guarantee themselves a NIT berth at least.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

iamjacobm wrote:Making the tourney all comes down to the Summit tournament, but if UNO keeps it up and wins the regular season they can guarantee themselves a NIT berth at least.
I've always had a problem with the regular conference season for mid majors being meaningless since the main goal is always to get to the NCAA tournament. Why the end of the season three-day tournaments are more valued than the regular season makes no sense to me.

At least now that they at least qualify for the NIT is better than it used to be.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha1000 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Making the tourney all comes down to the Summit tournament, but if UNO keeps it up and wins the regular season they can guarantee themselves a NIT berth at least.
I've always had a problem with the regular conference season for mid majors being meaningless since the main goal is always to get to the NCAA tournament. Why the end of the season three-day tournaments are more valued than the regular season makes no sense to me.

At least now that they at least qualify for the NIT is better than it used to be.
I agree

I think for the Non Power 5 Conf the Conf should get to decide if their Reg season of Conf champ gets the automatic bid. Of course that would need to be decided before the season!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:

I agree

I think for the Non Power 5 Conf the Conf should get to decide if their Reg season of Conf champ gets the automatic bid. Of course that would need to be decided before the season!
Problem is few mid major conferences would choose to eliminate the postseason tournament. They may seem superfluous, and I agree that I personally place more value on the long haul of the regular season vs. who got hot over 3 days; however, many of them make money.

That's the bottom line. The Summit League stages one of the most successful mid major conference tournaments of them all. Sioux Fall has embraced the tournament in their new arena. Combine some leagues getting decent gate receipts with having the championship game be the only guaranteed conference showcase on ESPN, and you're not going to find too many takers on eliminating it and I don't blame them.

I think I'm ok with the regular season conference champion not getting the automatic berth in the NCAA's as long as they are at least guaranteed a NIT berth. That at least gives you something for winning the regular season title.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

omaha79 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:

I agree

Problem is few mid major conferences would choose to eliminate the postseason tournament. They may seem superfluous, and I agree that I personally place more value on the long haul of the regular season vs. who got hot over 3 days; however, many of them make money.

That's the bottom line. The Summit League stages one of the most successful mid major conference tournaments of them all. Sioux Fall has embraced the tournament in their new arena. Combine some leagues getting decent gate receipts with having the championship game be the only guaranteed conference showcase on ESPN, and you're not going to find too many takers on eliminating it and I don't blame them.

I think I'm ok with the regular season conference champion not getting the automatic berth in the NCAA's as long as they are at least guaranteed a NIT berth. That at least gives you something for winning the regular season title.
Yea, that's why it hasn't changed in the past 30 years and why it won't be changed any time soon. The most egregiously unfair times are when a team with a losing record upsets a 30 win and 2 loss team in the conference tournament finals. Too bad the conference champion and the tournament both cannot qualify for the NCAA tournament.

By the way, I'm planning on going to my first UNO game this year tomorrow. I've been inside the Baxter Arena, but not for a game yet.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha1000 wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:

I agree

Yea, that's why it hasn't changed in the past 30 years and why it won't be changed any time soon. The most egregiously unfair times are when a team with a losing record upsets a 30 win and 2 loss team in the conference tournament finals. Too bad the conference champion and the tournament both cannot qualify for the NCAA tournament.

By the way, I'm planning on going to my first UNO game this year tomorrow. I've been inside the Baxter Arena, but not for a game yet.
The more people we can get in there the better!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ft Wayne 106
Omaha 101 (OT)

S Dak St. 57
N Dak St. 68

Denver 61
IUPUI 76

Omaha ....................4-1 12-7
Fort Wayne ...............4-1 15-5