Home Owners Association

Re: UNO Basketball 2015-2016

Post by Omaha1000 »

omaha79 wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Making the tourney all comes down to the Summit tournament, but if UNO keeps it up and wins the regular season they can guarantee themselves a NIT berth at least.
I've always had a problem with the regular conference season for mid majors being meaningless since the main goal is always to get to the NCAA tournament. Why the end of the season three-day tournaments are more valued than the regular season makes no sense to me.

At least now that they at least qualify for the NIT is better than it used to be.
I agree

I think for the Non Power 5 Conf the Conf should get to decide if their Reg season of Conf champ gets the automatic bid. Of course that would need to be decided before the season!
Problem is few mid major conferences would choose to eliminate the postseason tournament. They may seem superfluous, and I agree that I personally place more value on the long haul of the regular season vs. who got hot over 3 days; however, many of them make money.

That's the bottom line. The Summit League stages one of the most successful mid major conference tournaments of them all. Sioux Fall has embraced the tournament in their new arena. Combine some leagues getting decent gate receipts with having the championship game be the only guaranteed conference showcase on ESPN, and you're not going to find too many takers on eliminating it and I don't blame them.

I think I'm ok with the regular season conference champion not getting the automatic berth in the NCAA's as long as they are at least guaranteed a NIT berth. That at least gives you something for winning the regular season title.
Yea, that's why it hasn't changed in the past 30 years and why it won't be changed any time soon. The most egregiously unfair times are when a team with a losing record upsets a 30 win and 2 loss team in the conference tournament finals. Too bad the conference champion and the tournament both cannot qualify for the NCAA tournament.

By the way, I'm planning on going to my first UNO game this year tomorrow. I've been inside the Baxter Arena, but not for a game yet.
The more people we can get in there the better!
I enjoyed my first game at Baxter. A couple of thoughts: The line for tickets was really a problem. I got into Baxter ten minutes before the game started, and I missed the first 8 minutes of the game standing in line for tickets. When I got my tickets, the lines were still backed up to the front doors. There seem to be only four ticket windows.

The game attracted 2200 people and we sat in the upper deck. Lower deck tickets were $24 which seems much too expensive. The upper deck tickets were $12 each. The atmosphere was an improvement over last year's game at the Ralston Arena, but there is still a ways to go. For starters, I didn't detect any student section.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

There are only 4 ticket windows. They don't really have any other options for selling tickets on site. Best bet is just to buy online and skip the line. The hockey games are generally pretty close to sold out and basketball doesn't draw huge numbers yet. So, when they get a big walk up, it's going to be a problem.

There is a very small student section in the lower bowl near the band. But, the students haven't really started to come out that much. Preferred it last year when they were on the floor.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I do think UNO basketball tickets are a bit overpriced. If I was them I'd try to lower the price to get more people in. With owning their own barn, they'd get more revenue from concessions.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I think UNO basketball tickets should be about $9 in the upper bowl and $15 in the lower bowl. That single digit price point is a sweet spot for alot of people. That way, you can weigh it against other entertainment options like going to the movies.

I do think UNO is missing an opportunity to an extent. I'd rather have a bigger crowd in these early years to build up the fanbase and create a fun environment. It also would be beneficial to concession sales in the arena.

It's just hard for a large number of casual fans to justify $15-$25 for UNO basketball tickets when they know they can go to UNO Hockey or sometimes even CU basketball for relatively the same price.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow that is a bit expensive for UNO. Creighton upper bowl tickets are mostly $20 but several of the non-conference games were $12. Not to mention, there are always Valpack deals for 2 for 1. Even a lot of the Big 10 schools have tickets that aren't much more than UNO but the caliber of the opponents is much higher.

Any idea if youth tickets for UNO are cheaper? They are at most universities.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow that is a bit expensive for UNO. Creighton upper bowl tickets are mostly $20 but several of the non-conference games were $12. Not to mention, there are always Valpack deals for 2 for 1. Even a lot of the Big 10 schools have tickets that aren't much more than UNO but the caliber of the opponents is much higher.

Any idea if youth tickets for UNO are cheaper? They are at most universities.
No. I do not believe there are any price breaks for youth tickets. They've been consistent with their prices at $12 in the upper bowl and $24 in the lower bowl. I haven't seen much in the way of specials either. A couple here or there, but that's it.

I've mentioned this in other places that I think this is a mistake. CU has always done a good job with youth pricing and youth fan clubs. The Storm Chasers have always done a great job with their Lil Chasers club.

UNO doesn't have the ability to do any of that with hockey, but it would make a ton of sense to have a Young Mavericks club where one flat rate gets you into a set amount of soccer, basketball, and volleyball games (and baseball once they leave Boys Town and admission is no longer free). With a set fee of let's say $25, you'd get a t-shirt, admission to a set number of games in the listed sports, a cowbell, and maybe a few exclusive meet and greet type things with the teams over the course of the year.

Then, guess what, mom and dad have to buy a ticket...and then they buy you a hot dog at the game...and popcorn...and a Pepsi to wash it down with.

In the long term, you've been hooked on Maverick Athletics early. That affects what hats and t-shirts you want to wear in high school. Maybe you give UNO a long look for your college choice coming out of high school.

It's that kind of long term thinking UNO needs to do vs. "$12 in the upper bowl and $24 in the lower bowl maximizes our gate receipts this year for men's basketball games."
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I did a quick search online, and found that they had something similar to what I was mentioning last year.

http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209685129

This is a kids club promotion for the 2014-2015 year, but I had never heard of it before and I've never seen or heard any marketing for this anywhere else like tv, radio, or mailings. I've never even heard it mentioned as a promotional read in Baxter Arena (or last year at Ralston) If it still exists this year, I'd still say this is a missed opportunity.

I have season tickets for UNO hockey, basketball, and soccer. I rarely ever get any supplemental mailings or emails from the athletic department for discount ticket promotions. A couple of times over the last few years, they've sent me a few free tickets for big basketball games they are trying to fill, but those were one offs. It was nothing organized.

At minimum, UNO hockey and basketball season ticket holders should be getting multiple mailings a year on things like kids clubs and exclusive season ticket holder purchase opportunities. That's how you create engagement from your existing customers. I get all sorts of emails from the Omaha Storm Chasers...all year long. Yet, outside of my billing statements, and a notification as to when the season ticket holder pickup events are, there really is nothing from UNO.

With UNO now D-I, the marketing effort needs to be increased. And, I would also say simply having reduced priced youth tickets for walkup at basketball makes sense as well.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah you nailed it on the youth programs/youth tickets. I kind of though adult tickets for upper bowl should be in the $8-10 range, and lower bowl at $20. If you had these and discounts or a youth program with discounts I'd go more. I'm a UNO hockey season ticket holder and would support basketball better with a little better pricing. And to the point of concessions, yes with my boys those are always in play.

I've always thought UNO should see if they could get Martie Cordaro involved either as an advisor or volunteer advisor or something. With UNO baseball partnering with the Chasers for games at Werner Park it would be a natural fit.

Anybody see this today from Shatel? UNO hockey most likely to go to the NCAA's, and UNO Basketball #2:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-post ... 012bd.html

Here a link to the article in there on CU fans. I imagine some are riled up on this:

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/1/ ... ghton-fans

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha 69
Denver 55
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice to get another conference win. Got a little nervous in the 2nd half.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Really like how this team has come together. Looked like it could be a loooonnnnggg year based on some of those early non-conference games.

If only they could have put Fort Wayne away last weekend. Wow. Would really be looking good right now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO 85
ORU 79

Summit Conference
Omaha ....................7-1 15-7
South Dakota State .....6-2 17-5
IUPUI ......................6-2 10-13
Fort Wayne ...............5-3 16-7
North Dakota State .....5-3 15-7

Jan 28: UNO @ SoDak St.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Lunardi's latest bracketology has UNO going up against Iowa in Des Moines. That would be a great matchup and great to have a game that close for the NCAAs.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

If UNO gets a tournament win before Nebraska, lol, I don't know what I'll do.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Very fun team to watch. Looking forward to catching another home game,

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha 76
SoDak St 87
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anybody going Saturday night? Thinking about going. Should be a good game against South Dakota.

Saw where UNO students and fans took buses up to the game last night. Looked like fun.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just might go...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am sure that quite a few people will be at the Creighton "pink out" game vs. Seton Hall.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SoDak 83
Omaha 96

Summit Conference
Omaha ....................8-2 16-8
South Dakota State .....8-2 19-5
IUPUI ......................6-2 10-13
Fort Wayne ...............6-2 17-6
North Dakota State .....4-3 14-7
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It was the best atmosphere we've had for a game at Baxter yet. Also, the best performance by the team in their new home.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I believe Omaha broke an attendance record last night at the Baxter (not hard for a new arena, LOL) but, anyhow, that is awesome. Go Mavs!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:I believe Omaha broke an attendance record last night at the Baxter (not hard for a new arena, LOL) but, anyhow, that is awesome. Go Mavs!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Current NCAA RPI's, CU-103, UNO-117, NU-156.

Greg
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Went to Saturday night's game at the Baxter. First time there.

That is a nice arena. I know it's new and all, but it's nice. My wife got me tickets for Christmas, and we were front row in 113, behind the Mavs bench and right by the entrance for the locker rooms. I couldn't quite see action on the opposite end by the visiting bench, but otherwise, I could see well. (I used to coach Jr. High and High School ball, and so I can follow sitting courtside as well I could sitting higher.) The seats are very nice, the fans were great, and the arena felt a lot better for sports than the Ralston Arena does. (I admit that I haven't been to a ball game at Ralston, but the other concerts I have been there for did not feel like it would be a good sports venue)

The Mav played pretty well, too. There were several stretches where I thought, "Hey, they are playing like the best team in the conference!" and then stretches where I remembered, "Oh, yeah, we're in the Summit." Streaky team, stretches of turnover city, followed by dominating runs. White and Patterson played well, the rest of the frontcourt did fine, it was the backcourt other than Patterson that contributed to the streakiness. I suspect that a healthy Patterson and White could push the team to an NCAA bid (I think they are eligible this year?) if they can put it all together (especially Hollins and I think Smallwood) in the Summit tourney.

They look a lot better than they did a few years ago when they were DII and I saw some games at Sapp.

UNO and UNL need to start playing each other. That probably won't happen unless some state senator puts a bill up. (And gets Ernie on board for it!)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Original wrote:Went to Saturday night's game at the Baxter. First time there.

That is a nice arena. I know it's new and all, but it's nice. My wife got me tickets for Christmas, and we were front row in 113, behind the Mavs bench and right by the entrance for the locker rooms. I couldn't quite see action on the opposite end by the visiting bench, but otherwise, I could see well. (I used to coach Jr. High and High School ball, and so I can follow sitting courtside as well I could sitting higher.) The seats are very nice, the fans were great, and the arena felt a lot better for sports than the Ralston Arena does. (I admit that I haven't been to a ball game at Ralston, but the other concerts I have been there for did not feel like it would be a good sports venue)

The Mav played pretty well, too. There were several stretches where I thought, "Hey, they are playing like the best team in the conference!" and then stretches where I remembered, "Oh, yeah, we're in the Summit." Streaky team, stretches of turnover city, followed by dominating runs. White and Patterson played well, the rest of the frontcourt did fine, it was the backcourt other than Patterson that contributed to the streakiness. I suspect that a healthy Patterson and White could push the team to an NCAA bid (I think they are eligible this year?) if they can put it all together (especially Hollins and I think Smallwood) in the Summit tourney.

They look a lot better than they did a few years ago when they were DII and I saw some games at Sapp.

UNO and UNL need to start playing each other. That probably won't happen unless some state senator puts a bill up. (And gets Ernie on board for it!)
NU hosted UNO last year. Tim Miles said he was open to playing UNO just not every year. I agree on your point though, but also would thow Creighton in there. All three D1 schools in Nebraska should play each other every year.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
Original wrote:Went to Saturday night's game at the Baxter. First time there.

NU hosted UNO last year. Tim Miles said he was open to playing UNO just not every year. I agree on your point though, but also would thow Creighton in there. All three D1 schools in Nebraska should play each other every year.

Greg
In fact, UNL has scheduled UNO twice since they've been D-I. I attended both games. Both were competitive and fun.

It makes Creighton's refusal to schedule UNO even more glaring.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

UNO may well have the best tournament shot this year, how funny would that be.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

omaha79 wrote:
It makes Creighton's refusal to schedule UNO even more glaring.

You'll get over it soon, I'm sure.

Stargazer wrote:UNO may well have the best tournament shot this year, how funny would that be.
I just hope they'd get a high enough seeding that they have a chance...not like a 16 seed.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Terrible loss.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO 76
W I'll 83

Bad taste loss.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah that was awful. Can't afford any more of those.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Huge, huge win for UNO!

SoDak St 92
Omaha 96

Summit Conference
South Dakota State .....8-3 19-6
Fort Wayne ..............8-3 19-7
Omaha ....................8-4 17-8
IUPUI ......................7-4 11-15
North Dakota State .....6-4 16-8

Saturday: N Dak St @ Omaha
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Huge, huge win for UNO!

SoDak St 92
Omaha 96

Summit Conference
South Dakota State .....8-3 19-6
Fort Wayne ..............8-3 19-7
Omaha ....................8-4 17-8
IUPUI ......................7-4 11-15
North Dakota State .....6-4 16-8

Saturday: N Dak St @ Omaha
The Central High connection was big time tonight :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Big big win for UNO. I just wish they had taken care of business their previous two games. They could be very dangerous in their conference tourney.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Big big win for UNO. I just wish they had taken care of business their previous two games. They could be very dangerous in their conference tourney.

Greg

The Conf tourney is where they need to be dangerous. That is their way into the dance.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but does only the conference tournament champion make the NCAA's? Are there any chances that a Summit league team could still get an invite without winning the conference tournament?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but does only the conference tournament champion make the NCAA's? Are there any chances that a Summit league team could still get an invite without winning the conference tournament?

Conf tourney is the automatic bid

Chances of the req season champ from the league making it assuming it is a different team is a very long shot at best. At this point it would take a really special year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If you win the regular season, but lose the conference tourney you get an autobid to the NIT.

SDSU actually had a top 50 RPI when UNO beat them last night. The Summit is a one bid league, but they do have a better conference RPI than the Valley this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

N Dak St. 69
Omaha 76

4 hours to get the arena ready for hockey....