Maverick Park - UNO Baseball & Softball Stadiums

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: UNO Baseball & Softball Stadiums - Aksarben

Post by Coyote »

I just heard from a reliable source that the stadium will not be built before 2019
Greg S
City Council

Re: UNO Baseball Stadium

Post by Greg S »

Finished by 2019, or will not start construction before 2019?

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: UNO Baseball Stadium

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:Finished by 2019, or will not start construction before 2019?
by the 2019 season.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO will soon begin construction on new baseball, softball stadiums near Baxter Arena

https://www.omaha.com/uno/plus/uno-will ... 3d14d.html
Tony Boone / World-Herald staff writer wrote:UNO is ready to move forward with the construction of baseball and softball facilities. Phase 2 of its athletics master plan that began with the building of Baxter Arena is set to get under way soon.

Athletic Director Trev Alberts said the groundwork for the $22.5 million project will begin as soon as possible, though there is no specific date for when work will begin. The new fields are slated to be built just beyond the parking lots on the west side of Baxter
Renderings:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome news! Perfect to coincide with the NCAA Tourney. This, like Baxter, will surely be a great addition to the community as well as the athletic programs.

Will have some great A/V skyline views too :D .
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Dumb question, sure its been answered before, but where do they currently play?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:54 pm Dumb question, sure its been answered before, but where do they currently play?
Seymour Smith Park is technically home, but they have had to float around before. This year they played home games at Seymour Smith, Prep, Millard North, Skutt and Werner. Add in the game at TD and Omaha played in 6 different ballparks in the metro this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They used to call Boystown home.
Earlier this year South Dakota played a home series at Seymour.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder how the plans compare to 4 years ago:

Coyote wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:33 pm Here a couple renderings from a while back:

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:42 am I wonder how the plans compare to 4 years ago:

Coyote wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:33 pm Here a couple renderings from a while back:

Looks way different. And, those renderings really aren't from 4 years ago. Those were from closer to 10-15 years ago, but just got passed around 4 years ago again. Notice they still had the really old logo in them that's been retired for a long time.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

10 to 15 years makes more sense to me. The soccer field in the back center had seating, so it looks like this was from before when Caniglia field got converted.

I like the new plan. Less crowded.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Padre wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 am 10 to 15 years makes more sense to me. The soccer field in the back center had seating, so it looks like this was from before when Caniglia field got converted.

Definitely better styling, as well.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Padre wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 am 10 to 15 years makes more sense to me. The soccer field in the back center had seating, so it looks like this was from before when Caniglia field got converted.

I'm pretty sure the old renderings were from roughly 2006. I used to work somewhat closely with UNO athletics from 2004-2009. I remember seeing these renderings during that time frame.

The master plan has the full layout of what they are currently planning and they seem to be sticking to that. Instead of a soccer field and multiple baseball/softball fields, the rest of the Chilli Greens space has tennis courts, an indoor training facility, and a track facility in addition to baseball/softball. It's ambitious, and I've been told most of it is an extremely long term goal, but it's a much better use of space.

I also would love to see the renovations to Caniglia in the master plan come to fruition. There would be a more grand entrance to the soccer pitch along with dorms near the parking garage where the old East Side bleachers were for the football stadium. It would take the soccer facility to the next level.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Connie Claussen started women's athletics at UNO; now a new stadium fulfills another dream

The recent announcement of the new facilities came shortly after the Mavericks celebrated 50 years of softball at the school. Claussen started the program — thus launching women’s athletics at UNO — in 1969. “I think there’s a fairly reasoned chance that it’ll be Connie Claussen Field for softball,” Alberts said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.77 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not much new in this story, other than the face they are going to play the Summit League tournament at Seymor...
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:02 pm Not much new in this story, other than the face they are going to play the Summit League tournament at Seymor...
I had hoped there was a chance they'd have it done this year, but once winter hit and there was zero actual structure completed, I was sure it wouldn't happen.

Just have to win the Summit League again this year to ensure the tournament is at the new ballpark next year too...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I just didn't think they'd get this ready in time. They caan't blame the weather it's been a very mild winter.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:18 pm I just didn't think they'd get this ready in time. They caan't blame the weather it's been a very mild winter.

Greg
They'd talked about it being possible in UNO circles around May when they knew they'd be hosting the Summit League Tournament in 2020, but I didn't see a way. The soccer resurfacing took about 3/4 of a season longer than initially planned and that was just a resurfacing. This is a whole new stadium. now, the soccer stadium was delayed due to much higher than anticipated summer rainfall totals that year, but still.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm
Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:18 pm I just didn't think they'd get this ready in time. They caan't blame the weather it's been a very mild winter.

Greg
They'd talked about it being possible in UNO circles around May when they knew they'd be hosting the Summit League Tournament in 2020, but I didn't see a way. The soccer resurfacing took about 3/4 of a season longer than initially planned and that was just a resurfacing. This is a whole new stadium. now, the soccer stadium was delayed due to much higher than anticipated summer rainfall totals that year, but still.
Yeah I am with you. I knew they were talking about getting it done for the tourney but I just didn't see that as a probability.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is too bad they couldn't make Werner work out. The Chasers are on a long road trip when the conference tourney is scheduled, but the Union play the day after the tourney final is held and I am sure they don't want to turn the field that quickly.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Concrete work is well underway at UNO's Baseball and Softball Stadiums
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If I am not mistaken... Since the 2020 baseball season was cancelled, we will not have the Summit League Championship Tournament at Omaha's Seymour Park in 2020, but in this brand spanking new state of the art Omaha stadium to show off in 2021.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Did we get the 2021 as well?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Greg S wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 pm Did we get the 2021 as well?
I believe the Summit tournament hosting duties go to the previous year's victor
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I couldn't see a scenario where Omaha wouldn't get the 2021 tournament at this point. They were the 2019 champion. Who would you even give it to if not Omaha?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Taco wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 pm
That makes sense, did not realize you automatically got it. Thought it was bid on like the other leagues.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am
Taco wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 pm
That makes sense, did not realize you automatically got it. Thought it was bid on like the other leagues.

Greg
All Summit League tournaments go to the prior years regular season winner except Men's and Women's Basketball which are always in Sioux Falls. That's how UNO hosted the soccer tournament in 2018.
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

What did UNO decide to do with the old Chili Greens Dome after it collapsed? Have they replaced it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Fort Calhoun wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am What did UNO decide to do with the old Chili Greens Dome after it collapsed? Have they replaced it.
That's a great question. Do I remember correctly that it was not insured? It has not been replaced as of this past month.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 am
Fort Calhoun wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am What did UNO decide to do with the old Chili Greens Dome after it collapsed? Have they replaced it.
That's a great question. Do I remember correctly that it was not insured? It has not been replaced as of this past month.

Greg
If I remember correctly, I heard it was insured for the loss, but insurance is no longer covering them to replace those types of structures due to their propensity to collapse. And, the payout they received for what the insurance company was willing to cover wouldn't have been sufficient to cover a replacement anyway. I heard this from someone who worked there at the time, who no longer works there. So, I may be fuzzy on it.

Further complicating things is that the dome was actually owned and fell under the jurisdiction of campus rec, not athletics as some would have figured since it was mainly used for athletic purposes and the UNO teams practiced there often. I think I was told that athletics just booked time there through campus rec. So, athletics had to find their own new places to practice. And, getting something new built would have to fall on athletics if they want an indoor facility for their teams now that this is gone, but it's a different budget and they are already stretched by building the baseball/softball facility.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

With everything going on and knowing there is going to be extreme upheaval in college athletics in the coming years, do you think this project gets delayed? so many uncertainties. I know Trev came out and said, "see you next year with the summit league tournament at our new on campus stadium"...but, the longer this drags on and if there are significant affects to football and basketball season next year, athletic departments from top to bottom will have to make some extremely difficult decisions.

UNO may be in a slightly better place than most as they don't have football to worry about and are used to working on a shoestring budget. Still, if they can't count on getting payday games in basketball, that could be a huge hit. If the bigger P5 schools lose on football revenue this fall, after already losing March Madness revenue, I can't seetoo many big schools paying a couple hundred grand to have UNO come play at their place.

On the baseball front, the biggest concern would be no longer having a conference to play baseball in. The Summit is already in danger of losing their auto bid by losing Fort Wayne. They are at 5 schools and waiting for St. Thomas to join and hoping to get an exemption in the meantime. All it would take is one more school to drop baseball due to budgetary concerns and the Summit League no longer remains a viable baseball conference. They could look at affiliate members for the sport, but not many to go around and many more schools will likely be dropping basebal. In that event, UNO would have to look at moving to a new conference, dropping baseball, going independent (a death sentence), or being an affiliate themselves with another conference.

I wonder if those in charge are already thinking about these possibilities and if the ballpark project quietly gets moved to the back burner again? Thoughts?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think it goes forward since it's already so far along. That being said, I don't know if it's already paid for or not. If UNO really gets into dire straits financially due to this (or the state), not sure if they could suspend construction. Will be interesting to watch over the next year what happens with many of the current projects, along with announced ones.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 am I think it goes forward since it's already so far along. That being said, I don't know if it's already paid for or not. If UNO really gets into dire straits financially due to this (or the state), not sure if they could suspend construction. Will be interesting to watch over the next year what happens with many of the current projects, along with announced ones.

Greg

Just so many variables to this. Lots to be concerned about.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I biked by the stadium project on the trail this weekend and it appears significant dirt and infrastructure work is being done on both the baseball and softball fields. This is encouraging to me. There are multiple pieces of machinery on site and I could see actual structural work commencing in the next few weeks. I"m going to remain optimistic that this is happening.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Thanks for the update, hopefully this gets finished.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I made another bike ride past the UNO baseball softball complex on Saturday. Work is still progressing nicely. The dirt work has now reached the point where you can see the general shape of both facilities. There appears to be footings being poured for the baseball stadium. There were workers out there on Saturday as well. So, I'm feeling pretty good about this at the moment.

I don't really know how to post pictures here, but I took a couple. It's hard to capture the progress though.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

From driving by on W Center eastbound you can see the layout pretty well. There has been concrete poured for at least a month connecting the dugouts of the baseball/softball stadiums - maybe as a tunnel? Will be interesting what the final land contours are - could create a pretty intimate environment if they do it right.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I think the concourse design is awesome. They are making good use of the hills too. Excited to see the final product.