No Nebraska State

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

No Nebraska State

Post by mrsticka »

Forgive me for doing this, but I have to ask. How come there's no Nebraska State? I wouldn't necessarily root for them if there was. But I'm just wondering why. I'd think that for a state that loves football so much, there would be a Nebraska State, but such is not the case.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: No Nebraska State

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:Forgive me for doing this, but I have to ask. How come there's no Nebraska State? I wouldn't necessarily root for them if there was. But I'm just wondering why. I'd think that for a state that loves football so much, there would be a Nebraska State, but such is not the case.
There is no State U as the "State" schools were land grant ag and engineering schools. Nebraska decided that as it was a small stare, it would have 1 university and give its land grant money to it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

IIRC, there is a regulation (maybe Constitution?) where "there will be one and only one University for the State" is mandated. Thus you have UNO and UNK rather than Kearney State U. and such.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:IIRC, there is a regulation (maybe Constitution?) where "there will be one and only one University for the State" is mandated. Thus you have UNO and UNK rather than Kearney State U. and such.

State Reg?

Otherwise how do you explain

Iowa State University / University of Iowa
Oklahoma State University / University of Oklahoma

To just name a couple
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Wayne State, Chadron State, and Peru State are part of the Nebraska State College System. That's as close as you get.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Because some states have separated universities (where each is responsible for itself) while others have university systems. Iowa, Kansas, Oregon, Arizona, etc have separated state universities. For example, Iowa State University is not affiliated with the University of Iowa. These sorts of schools are a one man wolf pack with one main campus and maybe a small satellite campus in a major city or two. Nebraska has a university system that runs a handful of the state's universities. This is similar to states like Wisconsin. The University of Wisconsin at Madison is not a one man wolf pack (which you can usually tell if the full name of the university includes the name of the city it is in). It operates under the University of Wisconsin system. There are 13 universities under the University of Wisconsin system, all of them, much like Nebraska, use the nomenclature of University of [state] at [city]. There is no Wisconsin State.

All states kind of do it a little differently. In Illinois we have the University of Illinois System (UI-Urbana-Champaign (the flagship), UI-Chicago, and UI-Springfield), the Southern Illinois University system, as well as a handful of one-man wolf packs including Illinois State and three individual universities that all decided to name themselves [cardinal direction] Illinois University. California has the University of California system and the California State University system.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
E_L_Cut
New to the Neighborhood

Post by E_L_Cut »

As some others in this discussion have skirted, "State" universities are largely land grant universities. As per the Morrill Act (of 1862?) land grant universities are dedicated to the instruction of agriculture and engineering. The fact is that the University of Nebraska (it's original title) IS a land grant university and thus Nebraska State, in a way.

Ultimately, I think unnecessarily dividing resources between multiple flagship universities wouldn't serve the people of a small population state like Nebraska. Look at South Dakota. They have a University of South Dakota and a South Dakota State University, neither of which has the national stature of the University of Nebraska.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

NU is legally split. City campus and the rest are locally funded and the Institute of Ag and Natural Resources is land grant funded and is for the purposes of the Morrill act, "Nebraska State".