How Exciting Would This Be?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

How Exciting Would This Be?

Post by mrsticka »

Ever since Nebraska beat Northwestern on a last-second Hail Mary 2 years ago, I've been imaging what if Nebraska was still in the Big XII (along with Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M) and did that to Oklahoma–Beat them on a Hail Mary.

I could see the wild and crazy scenario: It's 2013, the Saturday before Thanksgiving (November 23rd) and Nebraska is still in the Big XII (as are Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M). They play Oklahoma at Memorial Stadium here in Lincoln. There are 4 seconds left in the game. Ron Kellogg III throws that long 51-yard pass. It gets tipped backwards by an Oklahoma defender and caught by Jordan Westerkamp. Ron takes off his helmet and runs in the other direction not wanting to be in a dog pile.

The crowd in Memorial erupts into a loud elated roar not heard in the stadium since 1978 when Tom Osborne beat Oklahoma for the first time.

The final score is Nebraska 37-Oklahoma 34.

It goes down as one of the most memorable moments, if not THE most memorable moment, not just in Nebraska history but all of college football. It's something that people will talk about 50 years from now.

Of course, Nebraska will never come back to the Big XII. Neither will Colorado, Missouri or Texas A&M. I know that. And no, I'm not venting anger and frustration because BYU beat us on a last-second Hail Mary and ended our 29-year season-opening winning streak. I'm over that. I knew that streak wasn't going to last forever.

I just imagined all that because Nebraska and Oklahoma used to have an exciting, long-standing rivalry that had many memorable moments.