Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: 2016 CWS

Postby bigredmed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Louie wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Coyote wrote:Out of 30 MLB teams 10 make the playoffs (33%)

So if there were 40 MLB teams, 20 would make the playoffs? And if each matchup is a 4-game series, that would be 80 games AT LEAST. And that would pretty much guarantee baseball would go into November. I don't think a lot of people would like that. Baseball is not a November sport.

What

I agree that the MLB season is wayyyy toooo lonnnng. Adding more playoff games would suck. Moving the playoffs into August would get more meaningful regular season games and get the whole darn season wrapped up before the glaciers return. Seriously, there must be 150 games in a season and at least 50 of them could be dropped in favor of an early play off start (say right after the AllStar game).

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 pm

bigredmed wrote:
Louie wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Coyote wrote:Out of 30 MLB teams 10 make the playoffs (33%)

So if there were 40 MLB teams, 20 would make the playoffs? And if each matchup is a 4-game series, that would be 80 games AT LEAST. And that would pretty much guarantee baseball would go into November. I don't think a lot of people would like that. Baseball is not a November sport.

What

I agree that the MLB season is wayyyy toooo lonnnng. Adding more playoff games would suck. Moving the playoffs into August would get more meaningful regular season games and get the whole darn season wrapped up before the glaciers return. Seriously, there must be 150 games in a season and at least 50 of them could be dropped in favor of an early play off start (say right after the AllStar game).

In 1961 the AL changed from 154 games to 162, the NL followed in 1962. Baseball is all about stats and numbers. I seriously doubt 162 games would ever be changed. I can't see many more teams added in the future either, maybe an extra WC for the post season.

mrsticka
Human Relations

Postby mrsticka » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:32 am

Here's another question: Why is the College World Series in June? Why not have the college baseball season start in April and go into June. And then have the conference tournaments and NCAA playoffs in June and July? And then have the College World Series in August?

The way I see it: Baseball is a summertime sport. So why not have them play during the summer?

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 am

mrsticka wrote:Here's another question: Why is the College World Series in June? Why not have the college baseball season start in April and go into June. And then have the conference tournaments and NCAA playoffs in June and July? And then have the College World Series in August?

The way I see it: Baseball is a summertime sport. So why not have them play during the summer?

One reason might be that these are college ball players and some of them graduate and are moving in to full time jobs that might not wait for them to play ball in the summer.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:04 am

Uffda wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Here's another question: Why is the College World Series in June? Why not have the college baseball season start in April and go into June. And then have the conference tournaments and NCAA playoffs in June and July? And then have the College World Series in August?

One reason might be that these are college ball players and some of them graduate and are moving in to full time jobs that might not wait for them to play ball in the summer.

They've already pushed it into the summer some from where it used to be. There are the factors of having them play after the majority of students have left for summer break. You also have traditional summer leagues (like the Cape Cod league) for the college players to play in. I think we've pushed the baseball season as deep into the summer as we can.

Greg

PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Postby PobodysNerfect » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Greg S wrote:
Uffda wrote:

They've already pushed it into the summer some from where it used to be. There are the factors of having them play after the majority of students have left for summer break. You also have traditional summer leagues (like the Cape Cod league) for the college players to play in. I think we've pushed the baseball season as deep into the summer as we can.

Greg

Not to mention asking the underclassmen who still have to get ready for classes in the middle of August, it would be asking a lot to be ready to compete for a national championship while school is ramping up. If we are still putting emphasis on the student part of student athlete.

Return to “Sports”