2016 CWS

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 2016 CWS

Post by skinzfan23 »

Linkin5 wrote:Whoa that is a big deal baseball tonight will be in town, good to hear. On a different note, does anybody know when the Ferris wheel is going up?
Not sure if I have seen that mentioned anywhere...I was wondering the same thing. You would think they would have it up by Thursday at the latest so people can use it for the opening ceremonies.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Whoa that is a big deal baseball tonight will be in town, good to hear. On a different note, does anybody know when the Ferris wheel is going up?
Not sure if I have seen that mentioned anywhere...I was wondering the same thing. You would think they would have it up by Thursday at the latest so people can use it for the opening ceremonies.
Just went down there the Ferris wheel is up, I don't know why but I was expecting it to be bigger.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It did say that the ferris wheel was going to be around 100' high. Nothing close to the London Eye which stands 443'. I think the average ferris wheel inside a Scheel's store is around 45' - 50', so this should be around twice as big. Of course, being outside, it may not look like it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

You can see the ferris wheel in the background of the video:

Family Fun Zone coming to Omaha for CWS
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:Just went down there the Ferris wheel is up, I don't know why but I was expecting it to be bigger.
I kind of was too, and I am not really a fan of its location...

This photo below makes it look larger than it does from 10th Street:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

... and only $5 per ride.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I forgot to mention, it looked like they only ended up with 3 of those corporate cottages down there in front of the convention center.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:I forgot to mention, it looked like they only ended up with 3 of those corporate cottages down there in front of the convention center.
From the World Herald article on 3/30/16:
MECA had considered a longer line of bungalows but will test the concept with just three rentals.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald article on 3/30/16:
MECA had considered a longer line of bungalows but will test the concept with just three rentals.
Interesting. I wonder if they didn't want to completely crowd the front of the convention center with the trials overlapping the series.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a 360o view
[youtube][/youtube]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

disappointing views... Really wish they placed it right up by 10th street.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:disappointing views... Really wish they placed it right up by 10th street.
I agree. It would have been great to have it where the Fanfest is usually...you might be able to see into the stadium from there.
Greg S
City Council

2016 CWS

Post by Greg S »

Interesting the negative impact the CWS move downtown has continued to be for the Old Market. I just got a coupon by email from the Flagship Restaurant group for $10 off at only good at their Old Market locations for use on the dates of the CWS.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Re: TD Ameritrade Park Omaha

Post by MTO »

They say because there are already establishments in North Downtown but there's not that damn many bars and restaurants in North Downtown certainly not enough to occupy 30,000. And a few hundred thousand coming in and out of town you'd think a couple would find their way to the Old Market.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

But there are a bunch of food & drink tents set up between The Mattress Factory and the stadium, plus they're selling beer in the stadium now. I think part of it is they didn't get the bump in business they thought they'd get in the Old Market from the move to TD from Rosenblatt....which may have been overestimated.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well let's hope the swim meet brings them in some patrons.
15-17, 26, 32
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

MTO wrote:They say because there are already establishments in North Downtown but there's not that darn many bars and restaurants in North Downtown certainly not enough to occupy 30,000. And a few hundred thousand coming in and out of town you'd think a couple would find their way to the Old Market.
A "few hundred thousand coming in and out of town"? Let's not overestimate the out of town tourist trade for the CWS. The crowd down there is 90% locals.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

"90%" seriously, well it's amazing we make any tourism coin then.
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The OM has been the only game in downtown for so long and have had no real competition for so long that they have no strategy for dealing with North Downtown events. When I would go to Mav games at the Clink, there was no marketing of the OM to the hockey fans and most just went home.

I really have to lay the blame for their lack of capitalization on them.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I saw some TCU fans 'lost' in the Blackstone district yesterday.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

NEDodger wrote:
MTO wrote:They say because there are already establishments in North Downtown but there's not that darn many bars and restaurants in North Downtown certainly not enough to occupy 30,000. And a few hundred thousand coming in and out of town you'd think a couple would find their way to the Old Market.
A "few hundred thousand coming in and out of town"? Let's not overestimate the out of town tourist trade for the CWS. The crowd down there is 90% locals.
This is from wikipedia, so do with it what you will...but it says 48.5% of CWS goers are from out of town.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Omaha

When i did my quick google search, there was a pdf of a CWS study that said the same thing, but i couldnt get the link to copy.
Go Cubs Go
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thenewguy wrote:
NEDodger wrote:
This is from wikipedia, so do with it what you will...but it says 48.5% of CWS goers are from out of town.

When i did my quick google search, there was a pdf of a CWS study that said the same thing, but i couldnt get the link to copy.
I've always thought the number was 50/50 locals and out of town visitors.. From my personal observation over the years attending the event.. 90% of the crowd is definitely not locals.. More like 50-60%.. The numbers can vary based upon who makes it to Omaha.. When LSU makes the cut, the city is swarmed with boosters in the yellow and purple. In fact, even when LSU doesn't make the cut, a healthy following of fans from Louisianna make the trek to the Big O...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ok so thats the ratio but how many people is that?
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:Ok so thats the ratio but how many people is that?

2015 total attendance

353,378 in 17 games

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... 5/CWS.aspx
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So about 170,000 tourists that's not to shabby. Still surprised a couple of them won't make it to the market.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I wounder how they define "out of town" I know a lot of people that come in for a game or three from maybe 25 - 100 miles out but go home to their own beds at night. While they Bring $$$ to Omaha they are not the big $$ that those staying in the hotels and eating out for all meals are.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Any of the teams this year bring a huge fan base?
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:So about 170,000 tourists that's not to shabby. Still surprised a couple of them won't make it to the market.
You have to remember that many of these people go to more than one game, and locals are probably more likely to repeat than out of towners, so probably more around 15,000-20,000 at the very most.

Another issue that hurts the Old Market is probably how tailgate centric the event is in the first place. Plus with all of the amenities up there, like the Baseball village etc., there's no reason to venture off site. If they were smart, the restaurants would try to play into this by setting up tents and what not.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

At that rate it should be costing the city.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Any of the teams this year bring a huge fan base?
Pretty small cheering sections this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

All three remaining national seeds lose their first game this weekend.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

thenewguy wrote:
NEDodger wrote:

During my masters degree coursework, I participated in a group that proposed a pricing structure for club and suite seating at TD. This was prior to their move. Presented to MECA and everything. 90% is an vast over estimation. 50 percent is roughly accurate.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Available tickets. The heat has not helped along with not having many teams with fan bases that travel (like Texas, LSU, Mississipi schools). They were mentioning on Sharp and Benning that there have been anywhere from 800-1500 tickets available to the sessions yesterday and today (not sure on Saturday). Said these are much higher levels than normal. If you were thinking about going to a game, no better year than this.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

2016 CWS

Post by Greg S »

TCU seemed to have a decent amount of fans yesterday. I've also seen quite a few from Okie State.

If I had to guess I'd say at least 75% of the fans are local.

Years ago it was impossible to get a hotel room in town, at least for the first 5-7 days. We've got more rooms now plus I don't think we get quite as many traveling fans as we used to. You can tell we still get quite a few based on the rates around town. All those little league tourneys really help.

The other thing you don't see any more. All the RV's....

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:The other thing you don't see any more. All the RV's....
Is Dinkerville still in CB?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:
I have no idea. Was wondering what happened to it. Having those near the stadium always added to the atmosphere.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
There is a Dingervill thread here that said they were moving up by Freedom Park, but that was before the flood of 2011.
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ingerville
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Miami Hurricanes go 2 and Q :P :yes:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

May not have it exactly right because I heard it on the radio on 590.

5 of the last 7 years there have been rain delays for CWS games played on June 20.