2016 CWS

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: 2016 CWS

Post by Busguy2010 »

I was there tonight and now it is at noon? I bought tickets, and so did a whole lot of other people. For the in town fans, 7pm would work a whole heck of a lot better than noon. Are they just trying to get the teams and fans on their way ASAP or what? I may not even go now, as excited as I was to see the outcome. This may become the forgotten CWS because CCU can win. If it were Arizona and some other power team they wouldn't hold it at noon. :evil:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Spatial77 wrote:Maybe the teams had to be out of their hotel rooms (11:00 checkout)?
Lol, Coastal Carolina's flight was scheduled at 11am.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

NCAA postpones CWS championship to Thursday at Noon out of concern for competition, player welfare
Lee Barfknecht / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The hired meteorologist also weighed in, which is why noon Thursday was chosen.

“There is more of a chance of weather coming in (Thursday) night than today,” Prettyman said. “If we had delayed it to evening and went through this again, we might have been in same scenario.

“We may not get the TV assignment we had hoped for. But we’ll be able to play our national championship game in a window that will allow us to finish it.”

The game will air on ESPNU. Wednesday’s delay was officially 2 hours, 23 minutes before the rainout was announced at 9:31 p.m.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

Postponed due to lightning strikes within 8 miles: maybe understandable. Postponed to 12:07 on a Thursday when countless people can no longer use their tickets or watch on tv: Awful

I'm out the money I paid for two tickets, parking, and of course the 25 cents I paid for the circular bus ride.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Whoever the meterologist is, NWS says 20% chance of storms after 1pm and then nothing after that. I guess in all this, it really shows that it is all about the teams and we as spectators have the privilege of watching it all happen. Still doesn't fix all the money blown.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:Noon, that sucks!
Yeah, I wonder if there will be all kinds of obvious empty seats on the television coverage?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Noon on a weekday. That's a barrel full of stupid.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On top of that I think it is no on ESPNU also.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

We can chalk it up to a one year blip, but I'd say it's hard to argue that the 2016 tournament is anything but a low point in they history of the College World Series.

There is as much of a chance that next year sets attendance records, but this years event has pretty much been one disaster after another.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Little bad luck, sure but IMO it is a LONG WAYS from a disaster or series of them.

omaha79 wrote:We can chalk it up to a one year blip, but I'd say it's hard to argue that the 2016 tournament is anything but a low point in they history of the College World Series.

There is as much of a chance that next year sets attendance records, but this years event has pretty much been one disaster after another.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It did sound like communication at the ballpark was an epic failure last night. They were talking about it on Sharp and Benning. They weren't making announcements or putting updates on the scoreboard. Most of the crowd was kept in the dark as far as what was going on and when it could possibly start. Sounds like frustration level was pretty high.

People would see players in the outfield but the tarp not moving.

They could at least have put updates on the scoreboard.

Not sure if this is on the group that runs the CWS, MECA or both.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody with a Prelim ticket from today's swimming trials gets into the game free, really good idea by MECA.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote:Little bad luck, sure but IMO it is a LONG WAYS from a disaster or series of them.

omaha79 wrote:We can chalk it up to a one year blip, but I'd say it's hard to argue that the 2016 tournament is anything but a low point in they history of the College World Series.

Absolutely disagree. Compared to pretty much every other CWS in my lifetime, this would certainly be a low point and has had its issues.

-lower interest from both locals and travelling fans
-cancelled game with a lack of communication causing fan frustration
-a championship game now being played at Noon on a weekday, likely in front of a half full house at best
-a session on a weekend with under 9k in attendance (9k announced but most agreeing it was closer to 6k)

This is all pretty much unprecedented in CWS history. Most of the time, this event goes off without a hitch. While this years CWS was certainly successful...all of them are successful from a financial standpoint, one would be hard pressed to argue that this isn't a low point in recent CWS history in Omaha. It just is.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Little bad luck, sure but IMO it is a LONG WAYS from a disaster or series of them.

Absolutely disagree. Compared to pretty much every other CWS in my lifetime, this would certainly be a low point and has had its issues.

-lower interest from both locals and travelling fans
-cancelled game with a lack of communication causing fan frustration
-a championship game now being played at Noon on a weekday, likely in front of a half full house at best
-a session on a weekend with under 9k in attendance (9k announced but most agreeing it was closer to 6k)

This is all pretty much unprecedented in CWS history. Most of the time, this event goes off without a hitch. While this years CWS was certainly successful...all of them are successful from a financial standpoint, one would be hard pressed to argue that this isn't a low point in recent CWS history in Omaha. It just is.

Most of what you say I agree with. Just not a disaster by any means.

From Webster's On line Dictionary and this doesn't fit any of these even close.
Simple Definition of disaster
: something (such as a flood, tornado, fire, plane crash, etc.) that happens suddenly and causes much suffering or loss to many people
: something that has a very bad effect or result
: a complete or terrible failure
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It's not a disaster like a fire or flood, but in terms of perception for Omaha's marquee event, it's certainly been a mess at times this year.

I am hearing from a friend that is in the ballpark today that the attendance is "brutal" and even though there is hardly anyone there, it's difficult to get concessions due to a lack of concession workers. He said that he heard from a MECA employee that since most of the stands are manned by volunteers, they weren't able to get them to come in for a noon game on such short notice after they already came in last night.

In terms of hosting a championship event on national television, I'd consider this a minor disaster and certainly the lowest point of the CWS in Omaha that I can remember. Historians will not be talking about the 2016 CWS as a high water mark of the event in Omaha. That's all I'm saying.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I definitely think this has not been one of the tops CWS series but the good thing is I don't think it's much more than a one year blip. Not counting the 9k game (which those extra games that aren't guaranteed are hard to plan for), attendance has been comparable to years past. As mentioned earlier, there were some factors that made this year difficult. We normally have some hot days but this year it seemed to stretch the full length of the tourney. Roughest year I can imagine for our powers/traveling teams.

I do think they really need to get the CWS Inc or whoever is in charge, along with MECA to make sure how last night was handled communication-wise, to not happen again. They should have a playbook on how to communicate and treat fans during delays.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:I definitely think this has not been one of the tops CWS series but the good thing is I don't think it's much more than a one year blip. Not counting the 9k game (which those extra games that aren't guaranteed are hard to plan for), attendance has been comparable to years past. As mentioned earlier, there were some factors that made this year difficult. We normally have some hot days but this year it seemed to stretch the full length of the tourney. Roughest year I can imagine for our powers/traveling teams.

I do think they really need to get the CWS Inc or whoever is in charge, along with MECA to make sure how last night was handled communication-wise, to not happen again. They should have a playbook on how to communicate and treat fans during delays.

Greg
and MECA overall needs to have a better plan for concessions at the ballpark. In a vacuum, you can give MECA a pass on today. It's not their fault that they can't get volunteers for a noon game the night before when the start time was mandated by the NCAA; however, it looks bad in light of all the problems MECA has had with adequate concession staffing at the ballpark for Big Ten and MVC tournament games along with some Creighton baseball games.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah MECA is 0 for 2 on the Big 10 tourney, 2 years ago not being ready for Nebraska fans, then this year not being ready for Iowa.

It's amazing how much better run Werner Park is compared to TD. TD is obviously bigger but everything just runs so much better at Werner.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/cws-blo ... 5d20c.html

Looks like ESPN has made a few remarks that they want to be sure that it is known that the Noon weekday start time was not driven by them.

They offered up a prime time slot on the ESPN mother ship as an option for a game time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coastal Carolina Wins it All!!!!

4-3

Az had two runner in scoring position and last batter struck out
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:Yeah MECA is 0 for 2 on the Big 10 tourney, 2 years ago not being ready for Nebraska fans, then this year not being ready for Iowa.

It's amazing how much better run Werner Park is compared to TD. TD is obviously bigger but everything just runs so much better at Werner.

Greg

I would hope Werner could handle it considering its one of the smallest AAA parks in America.

Also heard plenty of horror stories about parking and field conditions out at Werner as well. Not exactly as well run of a ball park as you would think. Chasers have had 5 years to run their own park and not have the City of Omaha do it and they still screw quite a bit on the ballpark operations up. See the flooded field last weekend during high school tourney.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

18,000 at game 17 makes this year's CWS the third highest attended Series.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:18,000 at game 17 makes this year's CWS the third highest attended Series.
The crowd actually looked pretty big on tv. I was surprised, I figured that a lot of people wouldn't be able to make it.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

Coyote wrote:18,000 at game 17 makes this year's CWS the third highest attended Series.
I'd like to point out that I was wrong yet again because I had told everyone that there won't be more than 10,000 for today's game. I'm still ticked off though because I have two unused tickets in my wallet.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Yeah MECA is 0 for 2 on the Big 10 tourney, 2 years ago not being ready for Nebraska fans, then this year not being ready for Iowa.

Greg

I would hope Werner could handle it considering its one of the smallest AAA parks in America.

Also heard plenty of horror stories about parking and field conditions out at Werner as well. Not exactly as well run of a ball park as you would think. Chasers have had 5 years to run their own park and not have the City of Omaha do it and they still screw quite a bit on the ballpark operations up. See the flooded field last weekend during high school tourney.

From a fan perspective it's not even close. At Werner things just work. That staff is so superior to what you get from MECA at TD.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Left work at 3 and walked in the game at the middle of the 9th. Couldn't miss history.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm assuming that's because we had the max number of sessions. I can't imagine it's #3 on a per session average.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg

From a fan perspective it's not even close. At Werner things just work. That staff is so superior to what you get from MECA at TD.

Greg
Truth. I've been to close to 100 games at Werner Park since it opened. I've never had any major issues at that ballpark. They know what they are doing.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:

I'm assuming that's because we had the max number of sessions. I can't imagine it's #3 on a per session average.

Greg
Yeah. That's where statistics are misleading. When you have extra games, of course the overall max would be higher. The per game average has to be down though.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Greg S wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg

Greg
How does Werner compare to other AAA parks? I saw they had a couple of sellouts this year that topped 9,000. I like the park. But they aren't without their problems.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

choke wrote:
Greg S wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg

Greg
How does Werner compare to other AAA parks? I saw they had a couple of sellouts this year that topped 9,000. I like the park. But they aren't without their problems.
As far as the stadium itself, it compares very well. Has received high marks from the baseball ballparks websites. As far as customer service, it's among the best for me (including college and pro experiences). The staff is fantastic. For AAA that I have personally been to it's limited (OKC, Des Moines, Indy, Round Rock, and Vegas) but they are tops in my book.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sharp and Benning were talking about the CWS again this morning. Sounds like yesterday the lines got long and they were running out of food. On short notice you can forgive that. The major thing people were complaining about was you'd wait in a long line, then get up front and find out the stuff you wanted had run out.

By average session size, this was the lowest attended CWS since 1995.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Based on how the weather turned out last night, I think the NCAA CWS needs a new meteorologist --- is Jim Flowers looking for part time work? :D :D :D
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

choke wrote:

With the players themselves it compares very low, on the Vegas, New Orleans level. I talked to one AAA player once who told me coming to Werner is like going back to Single A ball with its size and how the dugouts are not connected to the club houses.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Final attendance for the series was 341,667 (3rd highest all-time). Average attendance for the 17 games was 20,098.
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

I find it kind of funny how much backlash there is for an event that was still fun for the games I went to. Yes they can always do things better and there are legitimate gripes, communication and weather can always be tough but again, that's a legitimate complaint.

But for attendance it wasn't that bad. It wasn't the first game to do 10K on an "if necessary" game. I remember going to games in the last 90's and early 2000's where crowds seemed sparse as well. Also, things like attendance will hit lulls now and then, again, it has in years past at Rosenblatt as well, it's not going to sell out every session every year. It was hot as heck outside and there were a few teams that don't travel well. Still averaging 20K+ per game is fantastic, especially for college baseball. I think this is something Omaha and the community do great at and the out of town people I talked to all had great things to say.
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Re: TD Ameritrade Park Omaha

Post by PobodysNerfect »

omaha79 wrote: The "if needed game" point is valid, but there have been plenty of "if needed" games over the years. I can't remember a single one prior to this that had an announced attendance at 40% of the ballparks capacity.
2012, Thursday June 21st had a 12,295 game.
2010, Saturday June 26th (If nec games) had attendance of 10,907 and 12,593
2008, Saturday the 21st 12,581, Sunday June 22nd had 15,125, that year on June 20th (game 10) drew 30,553 to contrast.

I'm not going to go dig up the last 25 years, I'm just illustrating a point to contrast all the people yelling about the sky falling. Attendance always goes up and down. To counter you point
omaha79 wrote: I'd just like to see a comparable game from the Rosenblatt days where the announced attendance for an "if necessary" game was as low as 9k. I can't remember one, at least in the last 25 years. If there was a game that poorly attended, I'm guessing it might have been in the 1980's or earlier.
The three examples I gave were all recent. Looks like Rosenblatt in 2010 had a 10K and 12K, i'd say that's pretty poorly attended and close to that 9K number this year. Not trying to argue, just trying to get people to use the actual numbers. Just because you can't remember ones that drew poorly doesn't mean they didn't exist. Sure at Rosenblatt the capacity was officially listed at 23,145, but in 2010 when they drew 10,907 (still under HALF of official capacity), they drew 24,390 and 24,180 for other games. A lot of factors (teams, travel, weather/heat/rain) go into it. Attendance is fine and the CWS is still something to be proud of.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for digging up those numbers, they are really appreciated!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PobodysNerfect wrote:
omaha79 wrote: The "if needed game" point is valid, but there have been plenty of "if needed" games over the years. I can't remember a single one prior to this that had an announced attendance at 40% of the ballparks capacity.
2012, Thursday June 21st had a 12,295 game.
2010, Saturday June 26th (If nec games) had attendance of 10,907 and 12,593
2008, Saturday the 21st 12,581, Sunday June 22nd had 15,125, that year on June 20th (game 10) drew 30,553 to contrast.

I'm not going to go dig up the last 25 years, I'm just illustrating a point to contrast all the people yelling about the sky falling. Attendance always goes up and down.

The three examples I gave were all recent. Looks like Rosenblatt in 2010 had a 10K and 12K, i'd say that's pretty poorly attended and close to that 9K number this year. Not trying to argue, just trying to get people to use the actual numbers. Just because you can't remember ones that drew poorly doesn't mean they didn't exist. Sure at Rosenblatt the capacity was officially listed at 23,145, but in 2010 when they drew 10,907 (still under HALF of official capacity), they drew 24,390 and 24,180 for other games. A lot of factors (teams, travel, weather/heat/rain) go into it. Attendance is fine and the CWS is still something to be proud of.
Well stated :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:Final attendance for the series was 341,667 (3rd highest all-time). Average attendance for the 17 games was 20,098.
People better take off the rose colored glasses. Those numbers and 2 nickels are worth about a dime. We all saw the empty seats. We all saw how poorly they promoted this CWS just assuming the sheeple would come because they always have. We all saw the incompetency of the bogus rain delay and then postponing of the game to noon the next day. What a total lack of respect for the fans and players that they made them go home like little kids and then come back the next day. You can put lip stick on that pig all you want but at the end of the day......well you know. This thing is loosing its fizz and they better wake up and realize it and get back to promoting it or its going to get ugly. You do know once the herd gets spooked in one direction its hard to turn them around again don't you?