Nebraska Football 2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:I like where this is going after the close heart breaker at Wisconsin and the embarrassment at Ohio State. The Huskers should win out and finish 10-2. If we get lucky, we could see Wisconsin dropping to Minnesota. Would that not put the Huskers in the title game against... Penn State? Wouldn't that be hilarious. In fact, Nebraska could win that game and go to the Rose Bowl against... Colorado? This year could still shape up to be very interesting.
Very interesting indeed :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Tommy might be the toughest player we have had in years. He's hot and cold with his arm, but damned if he's not the grittiest player on the field every game.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I definitely think Tommy will go down as one of the admired players in Nebraska history. I always think of how awesome it would have been if he was Heisman with a name Like Tommy Armstrong. Tommy Armstrong, you kiddin' me? :D

On another note, who has been the best player since Ndamukong Suh? Kenny Bell, Roy Helu, Taylor Martinez, Niles Paul, Jared Crick, Alfonzo Dennard, Prince Amukamara, Lavonte David, DeJon Gomes, Alex Henery, Ameer Abdullah, Tommy Armstrong, Rex Burkhead, Brent Qvale, Trevor Roach, Jason Ankrah, Randy Gregory, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Maliek Collins, Demorney Pierson-El, Jordan Westerkamp, Nate Gerry, The Legend Ron Kellogg III.

These are all great players and I'm sure I left some out, but which is the best? On Defense I vote for Lavonte David, on offense I vote for Ammeer Abdullah.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote:Tommy might be the toughest player we have had in years. He's hot and cold with his arm, but damned if he's not the grittiest player on the field every game.
That he is. Hard to disagree with this...

The challenge for Tommy, as has been the case for his entire career as NU QB, is inconsistency. Good Tommy one week, Bad Tommy the next. I do feel this season, we've seen a fairly big improvement here with many more "Good Tommy" appearances in 2016.. This is obviously reflected and supported with NU's current 8-2 record and Top 20 ranking...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I was at the game this past Saturday (my dad is a huge Husker Fan). Gotta say, that wind was cold as heck (maybe I am just getting old). I will also echo the statements already mentioned; Tommy is a ferocious competitor...it's just a damn shame his arm isn't more reliable.

I'll also state this again, Ryker Fyfe should never see the field, ever at QB. I have a hard time believing Darlington is worse. He is NAIA caliber at best, but according to my friend who is a "booster of substance", Ryker thinks he is actually better than Tommy.
No posts exist for this topic
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

And Michigan goes unpunished for its loss to Iowa.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Barney Fyfe getting the start today.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The cutsey PAT formations are just flat out annoying.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

MadMartin8 wrote:The cutsey PAT formations are just flat out annoying.
I agree, but I am waiting for a game where they actually need 2 points and somehow this helps. Just checked in on stats and can't believe they had Fyfe pass it that much.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The cutsey PAT formations are just flat out annoying.
I agree, but I am waiting for a game where they actually need 2 points and somehow this helps. Just checked in on stats and can't believe they had Fyfe pass it that much.

His WR were sure on point today, so it worked. Plus, outside of the 4th quarter the line was providing a running game definitely helped open up the passing game.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Ryker Fyfe isn't great, but he didn't do as bad as I thought he might. I was afraid he'd be throwing interceptions all over the place. He certainly showed he could run.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bowl Predictions

Michigan vs Clemson Fiesta Bowl
Michigan vs Alabama National Championship

Ohio St. Vs USC Rose Bowl
W Michigan vs Wisconsin Cotton Bowl
Louisville vs Penn St Orange Bowl
Nebraska vs Auburn Outback Bowl
Iowa vs Arkansas Music City Bowl
Indiana vs Utah Foster a Farms Bowl
Georgia Tech vs Maryland Pinstripe Bowl
Northwestern vs W Kentucky Heart of Dallas Bowl
Minnesota vs Washington St Holiday Bowl
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Bowl Predictions

Michigan vs Clemson Fiesta Bowl
Michigan vs Alabama National Championship

Ohio St. Vs USC Rose Bowl
W Michigan vs Wisconsin Cotton Bowl
Louisville vs Penn St Orange Bowl
Nebraska vs Auburn Outback Bowl
Iowa vs Arkansas Music City Bowl
Indiana vs Utah Foster a Farms Bowl
Georgia Tech vs Maryland Pinstripe Bowl
Northwestern vs W Kentucky Heart of Dallas Bowl
Minnesota vs Washington St Holiday Bowl
Hmmm I am already in Tampa from Dec 29th - Jan 5th -- might be give me something to do. :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ranking looks about right for NU.. If they can finish strong and dust the Hawkeyes in Iowa City, a top 15 ranking and a 10-2 finish is a very impressive turn around over 5-7 one season ago...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

If the Offense that Husker Fans saw on Saturday was the one that they will see next year, I have a feeling that they will be happy (well, providing Nebraska has a QB in the waiting).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:If the Offense that Husker Fans saw on Saturday was the one that they will see next year, I have a feeling that they will be happy (well, providing Nebraska has a QB in the waiting).
Completely agree.. QB is the $64,000 question for NU heading into next season..

I hear the transfer they have from Tulane has the potential to star at QB in Nebraska's system...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:If the Offense that Husker Fans saw on Saturday was the one that they will see next year, I have a feeling that they will be happy (well, providing Nebraska has a QB in the waiting).
Completely agree.. QB is the $64,000 question for NU heading into next season..

I hear the transfer they have from Tulane has the potential to star at QB in Nebraska's system...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Everyone has been saying the transfer (Tanner Lee I believe is his name?) is some world beater, but ....his stats....not great. I understand he was playing with Tulane, but that only goes so far...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My understanding is that Tanner looks significantly better in practice than Patrick O'Brien. Not sure if that is good news for Tanner or bad for Patrick.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:My understanding is that Tanner looks significantly better in practice than Patrick O'Brien. Not sure if that is good news for Tanner or bad for Patrick.

Greg
I suppose Nebraska fans will get a look come Spring. That and, correct me if I am wrong on his name, Gebbia is coming in who is very highly rated.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:My understanding is that Tanner looks significantly better in practice than Patrick O'Brien. Not sure if that is good news for Tanner or bad for Patrick.

Greg
I suppose Nebraska fans will get a look come Spring. That and, correct me if I am wrong on his name, Gebbia is coming in who is very highly rated.
I have heard Gebbia looks good, but he is a twig. I'm curious to see if he could hold up to getting hit much.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah Gebbia is another 4 star. Not sure on his size. I for one will miss having a dual threat QB. We shall see. Next year's team will certainly look different.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:Yeah Gebbia is another 4 star. Not sure on his size. I for one will miss having a dual threat QB. We shall see. Next year's team will certainly look different.

Greg

With the stable of Running backs and WRs you have, I don't think you'll miss a dual threat too much. I mean, unless you're nostalgic for a certain type of football and what not.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Now I've heard there is a chance Tommy will play Friday. Anyone else heard this/have an update?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Now I've heard there is a chance Tommy will play Friday. Anyone else heard this/have an update?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

What I have read and heard indicated he will be available, just not sure at what level he can perform yet.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Now I've heard there is a chance Tommy will play Friday. Anyone else heard this/have an update?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

What I have read and heard indicated he will be available, just not sure at what level he can perform yet.
Well, you have your answer: Junior High.

Unless the course changes quick, the rout is on.

Edit:

Ouch, Nebraska's running back got knocked hard. Helmet to Helmet?
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Good thing Nebraska's defensive coaches adjusted this year to stop big plays against.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

So, 9-3 and back to the norm. Two really disappointing losses, yet some really impressive wins. This team showed a lot of fight in those wins, and looked like kids playing in those losses.

What do we think of this? How far off are we really? This year showed a lot of promise and at the same time reminded us fans that our team is still not in the race.

We will surely miss the graduating class and I really hope now that Mike Riley's recruiting starting to kick in will really pay off. Nebraska better be really impressive the next two years or Riley will be gone.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay, what went wrong today?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Okay, what went wrong today?
Well, mrsticka, first of all- This was a putrid performance by Nebraska. It was a total team loss.. Give Iowa credit.. Their players outplayed Nebraska's while they were on the field..and during the game, Iowa's staff out-coached Nebraska's. And that also extends into preparation during the week leading to the game..

Nebraska getting embarrassed on a national TV stage has easily become the rule rather than the exception.. And Husker nation gets upset and salty whenever they think Kirk Herbstriet "disrespects" the program.. Well, the simple solution to that is stop getting blown out by 59 and 30 points on national TV and then Herbie might start taking Nebraska a bit more seriously..

Sheesh...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Beat up on cupcake teams, but lose the big important games, get outright destroyed and utterly humiliated on the national stage. Isn't that what got Bo fired?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Until Nebraska gets a QB, get used to this. Oh, and a new defense.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

That makes two years of bad coaching from this staff. I hate to be impatient, but I hope Eichorst's and Riley's seats start to heat up. Some things need to change at least. Recruiting is at about Pelini's level unless they hit on several high ranking recruits closer to signing day. Other than not acting like morons on the sideline, these coaches haven't been any better than the previous staff.

Defense and special teams are garbage. Offensive struggles are largely explained by Pelini's bad recruiting and roster management. But Armstrong is not a good quarteback. Don't give him reads to make or let him throw deep. He could barely move today but the offense mostly featured zone read and over thrown deep routes all game. He's bad in those two areas when he's healthy.

Nebraska didn't even look interested today, let alone prepared. That shot of Armstrong laughing on the sideline in the middle of a beat down in his last regular season game was telling. That's all on coaching. Riley's body language wasn't any better though.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Most frustrating in the past 8 or so years is their inability to tackle in the open field, in the flat, where ever. I don't know if its the talented opponents or true inability.

In the context of today's game, it just looked like nobody wanted to play. Placing blame on other players, acting like children when calls didn't go their way. Everybody's body language looked like they didn't want to play.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

mrsticka wrote:
choke wrote:College football gets more hype than it ever did. So, it's not surprising that the more populated areas of the country excel more at the sport than the less dense populated areas (Nebraska). Times are different from the Osborne era and UNL has nothing more special to offer athletes than other colleges. If you were a promising athlete, would you want to come to Lincoln, Ne? After all, like Switzer used to say, "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."
Oh, really? How's Michigan State doing this year? Last I heard, they just suffered their 7th, yes, that's right, 7th loss of the season. This is their worst under Mark Dantonio. They've never played this badly during his tenure. For the first time under him, they're in danger of not getting to a bowl game.

And UCLA hasn't exactly played championship-caliber football in a while. Neither has Notre Dame. Nor Boston College or even Miami for that matter.

Don't tell us population matters when it comes to success, it doesn't. That's a load of ¢rap!
Probably time for Nebraskans to do something more constructive with their time than spend it on the football program. That's what fans of other lowly football programs do. Why invest a whole day to watching garbage?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

As long as Nebraska's in the Big Ten, I see no hope of them ever regaining their former glory. Why don't we just quit kidding ourselves and get out while we can still retain whatever dignity we have left.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

mrsticka wrote:As long as Nebraska's in the Big Ten, I see no hope of them ever regaining their former glory. Why don't we just quit kidding ourselves and get out while we can still retain whatever dignity we have left.
We ain't done throwing Hail Mary's yet. In the batters box we got Scotty Frost warming up to come in and save the day. 2 more ugly seasons and they will fire Reilly or maybe get him to retire and go sit in the corner like Old Yeller.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
mrsticka wrote:As long as Nebraska's in the Big Ten, I see no hope of them ever regaining their former glory. Why don't we just quit kidding ourselves and get out while we can still retain whatever dignity we have left.
We ain't done throwing Hail Mary's yet. In the batters box we got Scotty Frost warming up to come in and save the day. 2 more ugly seasons and they will fire Reilly or maybe get him to retire and go sit in the corner like Old Yeller.
Even if Nebraska gets better, it'll be hard for Riley to make it through the next two years as the schedules get more difficult. They really needed to win the West this year.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime today thus keeping them out of the Big 10 Championship game. So I guess Michigan's in the same boat Nebraska is. What started out as a promising, dominating season where Michigan looked like a force to be reckoned with has ended in heartbreak.