Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska Football 2016

Post by Coyote »

Time for a new thread...

Nice get for the Huskers:

Tanner Lee decides to transfer to Nebraska
The 6-foot-4 sophomore threw for 1,639 yards and 11 touchdowns in nine games this season.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks like former Stanford commit and teammate of Jackson Beau Bisharat might be visiting and signing with NU.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nebraska assistant coach Hank Hughes has left the building.

Not a lot of detail but if you read between the lines he was let go by Riley. DL line coach making 300K
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A lot of Internet complaints about his lack of recruiting ability.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:A lot of Internet complaints about his lack of recruiting ability.
that and indicators that he was not liked by the current players.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

nebugeater wrote: DL line coach making 300K
I should have set my goal to be a defensive line coach. :shock: :roll:
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The headline on the top of todays Sunday paper read "Tommy Armstrong determined to improve in final season" :roll: Like Donald Trump says "Once a choker always a choker!" :yes: Head coach Riley is so sure that Tommy is going to have a good year that he and his wife still have not bought a home to live in. Riley is sticking with his story that his wifes allergies are preventing them from finding a suitable home. :sly: I tend to think Riley knows that theres a good chance this year could go as bad as last year and his days in Lincloln could be so short they wont be needing to bother finding a home in Lincoln.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

For those that want to stake their bets on how long MR will be here based on his home ownership I just shake my head. Not only here but elsewhere.

At the Salary range a Div 1 Head coach is at and the buyout needed to be payed if there is much contract remaining the decision on home ownership will not impact staying or going. Even if the price bracket that he may be able to get into it will sell at some point so it is not a big issue.

As for MR's wife's health issues, they were documented before they came to Lincoln so to discount them is not very understanding of what health issues can cause.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Keyshawn Johnson Jr (2017) just committed to Nebraska.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Keyshawn Johnson Jr (2017) just committed to Nebraska.
And he is bringing his 4-star QB with him in Tristan Gebbia!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:Keyshawn Johnson Jr (2017) just committed to Nebraska.
And he is bringing his 4-star QB with him in Tristan Gebbia!
Hopefully we can get Darnay Holmes for the Calabasas hat trick.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Ok, this is just plain stupid:

Omaha man sues to stop Husker football balloon release
Chris Dunker / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:An Omaha man is suing the University of Nebraska in an attempt to curb the balloon release tradition that happens at Husker football games, citing a 1976 federal law governing waste disposal.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court, Randall Krause said the mass balloon release results in the open dumping of solid waste, which is prohibited under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have read elsewhere that this same guy sued the City of Omaha a year or two for using road salt. Was based on the same act. Case was dismissed.

HR Paperstacks wrote:Ok, this is just plain stupid:

Omaha man sues to stop Husker football balloon release
Chris Dunker / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:An Omaha man is suing the University of Nebraska in an attempt to curb the balloon release tradition that happens at Husker football games, citing a 1976 federal law governing waste disposal.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court, Randall Krause said the mass balloon release results in the open dumping of solid waste, which is prohibited under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Chris Dunker / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:An Omaha man is suing the University of Nebraska in an attempt to curb the balloon release tradition that happens at Husker football games, citing a 1976 federal law governing waste disposal. {deletia}
Jeesh!

I'm most definitely in the environmentalist camp but this is one of those "Hey, get a life!" situations! :(
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I just read something today released by UNL saying the balloons are biodegradable and shatter after three hours or five miles in the air.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I just read something today released by UNL saying the balloons are biodegradable and shatter after three hours or five miles in the air.

There was a pretty long thread on this on HuskerMax.com a couple of years ago. At that time the U said they were and that they had been for some time. I did a bunch of reading on this at that time and the speed at wich they say they break apart may be a bit overstated. You will also find people that talk about burying these and come back a year later and they are fully in tact. What I read at that time confirmed some of that and that the sealing them up by burying them really protects them for a fair amount of time.

If left to fall naturally the conses I seemed to find was that in normal conditions they would break down in a month or two but there are occasions where they last a lot longer.

I guess I would just add if they didn't break down in a reasonable time with all the balloons at all the events that are released over a years time when don't you see more of them laying around?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Looks like someone else is going to be punting this fall. Sam Foltz was killed in a car crash in Wisconsin.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

End of the day it probably doesn't mean a whole lot but it is interesting for the talk part anyway.

Ben Miles, son of LSU Head Coach Les Miles verbally committed to the Huskers today.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah he is not a real high star recruit. I think 3 in some, 2 in another and I believe not ranked on ESPN.

It does say something though when a coach sends you his son.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:Yeah he is not a real high star recruit. I think 3 in some, 2 in another and I believe not ranked on ESPN.

May not have many stars but I think I heard he is the #3 rated FB in the country. Questions is, will his dad be at his Sr game?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Greg S wrote:Yeah he is not a real high star recruit. I think 3 in some, 2 in another and I believe not ranked on ESPN.

May not have many stars but I think I heard he is the #3 rated FB in the country. Questions is, will his dad be at his Sr game?

I have seen rating from the #3 to the #5 FB in the country. Most of what I have looked at also has him at a 3* but I will be the first to admit I have not looked at all the data.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:

More importantly, will his dad want to become Nebraska's next coach next year?
No posts exist for this topic
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

This new coach we got is not going to last long. One of his assistant coachs gets in an accident and tests out to be DUI for the 3rd time. No way this guy should still be around. Riley gives him 2 weeks without pay and a 4 game suspension. Thats a joke. I'm pretty much sure my career and alot of peoples careers would be over if we just got our 3rd DUI. They would hang me and say I am not trustworthy. But not in Nebraska football. No way this new coach works out. This guy is going to crash and burn hard in a couple of years and take his millions back to Oregon with a big smile on his face. He knows this experiment is doomed but he wants the money. What a drag for Husker fans.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

They released the "Alternate" Uniforms. Looks to be all white design... I'm not a Husker Fan, but I do recall (maybe I am mistaken), aren't all whites considered bad luck?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:They released the "Alternate" Uniforms. Looks to be all white design... I'm not a Husker Fan, but I do recall (maybe I am mistaken), aren't all whites considered bad luck?
Not bad luck, they are just like 5-12 when they wear them.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Look good, Play good. Players like it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:They released the "Alternate" Uniforms. Looks to be all white design... I'm not a Husker Fan, but I do recall (maybe I am mistaken), aren't all whites considered bad luck?
Not bad luck, they are just like 5-12 when they wear them.

Ah. Well, I suppose 5-12 would raise any eyebrow, so I can't blame you guys.

That said? I like them, they look sharp. Way better than any previous year where it looked like a 2 year old designed them.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

My family had season tickets with the parents paying the donation and I pay the face value for the games I want. Over the weekend I picked up my two Oregon tickets. My sister said they were $125 so I gave her $125 thinking they were $62.50 each. My jaw dropped when they had a $125 face value on each of them. Even the 3-9 Fresno St. game has a $75 price.

It is so sad but this is going to be the last season that the family has tickets.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Trips wrote:My family had season tickets with the parents paying the donation and I pay the face value for the games I want. Over the weekend I picked up my two Oregon tickets. My sister said they were $125 so I gave her $125 thinking they were $62.50 each. My jaw dropped when they had a $125 face value on each of them. Even the 3-9 Fresno St. game has a $75 price.

It is so sad but this is going to be the last season that the family has tickets.
That's not how season tickets work, are you sure you have season tickets?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pretty sure I read that season tickets would have different values for each game but they all average the normal base price. Like Purdue is considerably less fave value to make up for the high Oregon face value.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Trips wrote:My family had season tickets with the parents paying the donation and I pay the face value for the games I want. Over the weekend I picked up my two Oregon tickets. My sister said they were $125 so I gave her $125 thinking they were $62.50 each. My jaw dropped when they had a $125 face value on each of them. Even the 3-9 Fresno St. game has a $75 price.

Like Hillary Clinton would say "You got to pay to play." The Kansas City Chiefs this year will now charge you $40 for the use of a parking space for 1 game. :shrug:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Pretty sure I read that season tickets would have different values for each game but they all average the normal base price. Like Purdue is considerably less fave value to make up for the high Oregon face value.
Well not finding any evidence to support this. Not sure what that thought is rattling around up there.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Pretty sure I read that season tickets would have different values for each game but they all average the normal base price. Like Purdue is considerably less fave value to make up for the high Oregon face value.
Well not finding any evidence to support this. Not sure what that thought is rattling around up there.
At least in terms of the resale websites, it looks like the various home games have widely different price points, so I would be accepting of the idea that the huskers simply started that.

This is not unexpected. They are not the big draw they used to be and there were thousands of unsold season tickets for the 2016 season. They have to make up the revenue somehow. What they lost in volume, they are going to try to make up in mark up. This is a failing strategy as it causes more volume contraction.

Look for another 3-5 years of the Huskers being somewhat competitive and then they are toast, both in the BIG and in revenue. What will be interesting is what sports they cut or what student services get cut to make up for the loss.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Season tickets through the university were $399 per seat plus whatever "donation". Which ends up being $57 per game. That cost is about 25% less than face value.

As far as face value, yes, the Oregon tix were high at $125. The other non-con games were $75, and the conf games were $65.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I feel like it may take a while to catch on, but with the CFP now it is very important to have a strong schedule. How long will it take before high caliber schools stop scheduling "gimme games". I feel like since I started following football in 2006, colleges schedule matchups that give them a probable 4-0 start. Back in the day that might have looked good, but with the CFP in place they aren't as attractive. I think we are seeing a change with schools scheduling tougher opponents earlier in the season.

Will it come to a point that some schools get locked out of contention due to powerful schools scheduling only each other?

On another point, anybody think it would be possible for schools to only play conference division games (each school plays each other twice during the year). For example, Nebraska plays Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue each twice a year and then play the conference championship game. In this case it would be harder for a school to win a conference and have each conference winner earn a playoff spot.Would that take away all the excitement of college football or create stronger rivalries?

I really think there needs to be a way to remove more and more subjectivity and push it later and later into the season. I think college football will always be up to a certain group of people's opinions, but there are ways to nearly remove it and make the decisions so clear that 99% of people can't refute it.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Bigggggggggggggggggggggggggg Reddddddddddddddddddddd!
Go Big Red.jpg
Go Big Red.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Final score:

Nebraska 43-Fresno State 10

Nebraska struggled a bit during the first half, then cruised the rest of the way. I'll admit, though, when the score was 14-10, I feared the worst: That Nebraska was going to shoot itself in the foot and lose at the last second. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

I was relieved when that second targeting call was reversed.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
At least in terms of the resale websites, it looks like the various home games have widely different price points, so I would be accepting of the idea that the huskers simply started that.

This is not unexpected. They are not the big draw they used to be and there were thousands of unsold season tickets for the 2016 season. They have to make up the revenue somehow. What they lost in volume, they are going to try to make up in mark up. This is a failing strategy as it causes more volume contraction.

Look for another 3-5 years of the Huskers being somewhat competitive and then they are toast, both in the BIG and in revenue. What will be interesting is what sports they cut or what student services get cut to make up for the loss.

Um, no. That last paragraph is wrong on so many levels. With Nebraska's terms of entering the Big 10, they have been going through a vesting period. They have not been receiving their full share of conference revenue. The vesting period is now ending. This is happening right at the same time the Big 10 is tripling it's national TV contract revenue. NU has never had as much revenue as what they are approaching. They will be getting a full share in the richest conference. Throw in recently increased radio rights, 3 revenue generating sports for the first time in school history, along with their expiring deal with Addidas ( and a new richer one with them or Nike or Under Armour), and you can see why financially they are set for a very safe and secure future.

Greg
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

And now it's time to take on Wyoming next.