Omaha Chargers

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha Chargers

Post by Coyote »

New basketball team coming to Omaha
KETV wrote:The Omaha Chargers of the National Basketball League of America will begin play at Ralston Arena in September. The Chargers will compete against teams in various professional basketball leagues and serve as a scouting ground for NBA and international professional basketball teams.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha Chargers

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like they have been on Facebook since March 25.

Funny that this wasn't discovered sooner.
Attachments
1934938_780220128775292_3482664710879079277_n.png
1934938_780220128775292_3482664710879079277_n.png (42.67 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to see this, but they may be a tough sell with the Jays continued success and UNO basketball on the rise.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Huge get for the Ralston Arena. Looks like a good fit also...
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

I first assumed that it was going to be an NBA-D League team. I'm don't have any expectations for this league, but I like the concept of a minor league using local players. With only two other teams (Mitchel SD, and Sioux City) currently in the new league, I wonder where else the league will expand to. The sister league in Canada has around 10 teams.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This will likely fail hard. There is an abundance of basketball in the area with UNO, Nebraska, and Creighton.

Even the NBA D-League would be a bit of a stretch, but at least that would have some affiliation and name resonance with the NBA. NBA D-League games can be seen on TV and with the right parent club, I could have seen that scratching out an existence.

My guess is one to two years for this. Beyond that, the only way I see it working is if the Omaha franchise moves to the D-League with a parent club with some local appeal.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

omaha79 wrote:This will likely fail hard. There is an abundance of basketball in the area with UNO, Nebraska, and Creighton.

Even the NBA D-League would be a bit of a stretch, but at least that would have some affiliation and name resonance with the NBA. NBA D-League games can be seen on TV and with the right parent club, I could have seen that scratching out an existence.

My guess is one to two years for this. Beyond that, the only way I see it working is if the Omaha franchise moves to the D-League with a parent club with some local appeal.
You're probably right, but for me, I would have less interest to go to an NBA-D League game. Every player in the the NBA-D league has one goal: to get the heck out of this place and be called up to the NBA. I would prefer to watch a league of players who know that they will never become NBA players and instead are happy to have an opportunity to compete on a team. If they can attract former Blue jays, Huskers, and Mavs, then I would have an interest to watch.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha1000 wrote:
omaha79 wrote:This will likely fail hard. There is an abundance of basketball in the area with UNO, Nebraska, and Creighton.

You're probably right, but for me, I would have less interest to go to an NBA-D League game. Every player in the the NBA-D league has one goal: to get the heck out of this place and be called up to the NBA. I would prefer to watch a league of players who know that they will never become NBA players and instead are happy to have an opportunity to compete on a team. If they can attract former Blue jays, Huskers, and Mavs, then I would have an interest to watch.
I think any of the guys worth watching from CU or NU will still go to Europe. They will surely pay better than this league and you get to see the world.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Without it being linked to the NBA, just like the UFL wasn't linked with the NFL....it will fail. It is too hard to draw good numbers on a consistent basis. Maybe in Sioux City, they might do alright, but where there are already a ton of other entertainment options, it will be a hard sell.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:

I think any of the guys worth watching from CU or NU will still go to Europe. They will surely pay better than this league and you get to see the world.
Definitely. This league is not in the same galaxy as the Euro-league or even the China Basketball Association for that matter. However, if a player like Groselle stays around Omaha for a couple of years, it would be a competitive outlet and I would argue that Grosselle would be worth watching.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Without it being linked to the NBA, just like the UFL wasn't linked with the NFL....it will fail. It is too hard to draw good numbers on a consistent basis. Maybe in Sioux City, they might do alright, but where there are already a ton of other entertainment options, it will be a hard sell.
Yep, I think enough of these concepts have failed here to realize this will go nowhere.

The only lower level franchise that I think could work here is a soccer club attached to Sporting KC that plays in the tier below MLS.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

iamjacobm wrote: Yep, I think enough of these concepts have failed here to realize this will go nowhere.

The only lower level franchise that I think could work here is a soccer club attached to Sporting KC that plays in the tier below MLS.

This is something I was hoping would happen in Omaha, but unfortunately Sporting KC recently (last fall) founded the Swope Park Rangers. They will be in the USL and play at Swope Park in KC. Maybe Omaha could get a NASL team or an unaffiliated USL team in the future.

As far as the Omaha Chargers goes, I have my doubts. At least the Ralston Arena is trying though...right?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I love adding more entertainment options but I am pretty sure that semi-pro soccer would fail as well. I think it is safe to say that Omaha is an amateur sports town that loves big events. Drawing a good crowd on a consistent basis for non-collegiate teams is tough. Just ask the Aksarben Knights, Omaha Racers, Omaha Beef, Omaha Heart, and Omaha Nighthawks. They have all had their moments but don't sell out.

The events that have done well or have staying power are the Omaha Storm Chasers, UNO hockey, Creighton Basketball, CWS, Olympic Swimming Trials, College Tournaments (basketball, baseball, volleyball)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have never followed soccer at any level but didn't Omaha have a team a few years ago?
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

skinzfan23 wrote:I have never followed soccer at any level but didn't Omaha have a team a few years ago?
The Omaha Vipers lasted a season or two. They played in the MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) and had their games at the Civic. I never went any games so I can't say much for the attendance or the environment in the arena.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I think that NASL would do well in Omaha - so few sports options during the late summer
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Lol that logo is so bad.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't see this lasting. Unaffiliated minor leagues struggle so much. I think the NBA D League might have a shot to make it in Omaha.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Huge get for the Ralston Arena. Looks like a good fit also...
Agreed. And I'll have to get out to a game or 2 and see how this looks and feels..

As it relates to whether this will fall on its face (or not), I'll quote our good friend (and now deceased) Han Solo: "I've got a bad feeling about this" :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Bummer, was hoping for a D League team.
No posts exist for this topic
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The owner of the Omaha Racers Steve Idleman always said he lost millions on the Racers. Idleman and the Racers put on a good show too. The quality of basketball played by the Racers was 3 times better then you will ever see at a Blue Jays or Husker game and yet the people would not come out to watch them. This new team dont have a chance in heck.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Huge get for the Ralston Arena. Looks like a good fit also...
Agreed. And I'll have to get out to a game or 2 and see how this looks and feels..

As it relates to whether this will fall on its face (or not), I'll quote our good friend (and now deceased) Han Solo: "I've got a bad feeling about this" :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Han Solo is dead? I must have missed this in the "RIP [Insert Dead Celebrity here]" thread.

Based on past history I have to go with the doubters on this one.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I don't know the economics of the D-League, but to make any pro basketball work here, it would have to be subsidized by the NBA to a large degree.

The Storm Chasers wouldn't be able to survive here if they had to pay the salaries of the players.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU Alum Rodney Buford will be their first coach.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

Coyote wrote:CU Alum Rodney Buford will be their first coach.
And probably last coach....
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I have seen zilch on this.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Won their inaugural game 143-95 over Sioux City tonight.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I did not know about the game until this morning when Sharp and Benning weere talking about it.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:I did not know about the game until this morning when Sharp and Benning weere talking about it.

Greg
KETV ended their sportscast last night with a few highlight from the game.. Then said Omaha won 143-95, but did not say who they defeated.. It was like a sports afterthought. Kind of shoddy reporting IMO. At least tell us WHO Omaha beat :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sports afterthought might be the slogan for this league.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Greg S wrote:I did not know about the game until this morning when Sharp and Benning weere talking about it.

Greg
KETV ended their sportscast last night with a few highlight from the game.. Then said Omaha won 143-95, but did not say who they defeated.. It was like a sports afterthought. Kind of shoddy reporting IMO. At least tell us WHO Omaha beat :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They opened the segment stating that they were playing Sioux City.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They opened the segment stating that they were playing Sioux City.
Ah okay. Missed that. I stand corrected...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:Sports afterthought might be the slogan for this league.
You may be correct on that one.. Especially if attendance turns out to be similar to that of a JV high school basketball game...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

anyone know what the real attendance was?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:anyone know what the real attendance was?
The video report from WOWT stated there were 500 in attendance.. I watched the video though, and it looked like less than that- maybe 300 tops...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Yeah. This thing is a dumpster fire.

I found this blog post about the "franchise". It pretty much eviscerates their "efforts". It would be funny if it wasn't so sad and impotent.

https://omahamavsblog.com/2016/09/15/so ... e-a-thing/

Over under on whether this makes it a full season? I'll take the under.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

From the June City Council Minutes. It looks like the team is taking care of marketing.

"Consideration of NBLA Contract. Benis said this is a three year contract and future contracts may be for five years. Klinker said the contract is modeled after the UNO contract. Benis said the NBLA wouldn’t require additional considerations such as a locker room or practice time and the owner was taking care of marketing. Sanchez spoke to marketing, existing Lancers advertising and ownership of the court. Benis spoke to ticket prices. Krause spoke to the City’s ability to not renew future contracts. Klinker said that could be determined with the next contract if necessary. Krause moved to approve the contract and authorize Stan Benis to execute, second by Preis. All vote yes, motion carried."
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I looked at their website and cant even see where to buy tickets for single games. Season only. Very odd.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Chargers win inaugural NBLA championship
The Omaha Chargers completed their inaugural National Basketball League of America season with a championship, beating the Dakota Magic 119-96 in the title game Tuesday night.

Omaha finished its season at 12-1 under coach Rodney Buford.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Omaha Chargers win inaugural NBLA championship
The Omaha Chargers completed their inaugural National Basketball League of America season with a championship, beating the Dakota Magic 119-96 in the title game Tuesday night.

Omaha finished its season at 12-1 under coach Rodney Buford.
Its' nice this team won a championship..

At the same time, it's too bad pretty much nobody in town knew they were actually playing games..let alone winning a championship...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!