Big 10, What is next?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Big 10, What is next?

Post by Greg S »

I don't see the one giant football conference happening anytime soon. Too many existing TV deals to navigate.

I did like where he mentions Rassmussen's candidates for Big East expansion. Wichita State would be a great addition for the Big East. CU would again have a rival, the Big East gets a team with recent success in the basketball tourney, and would be a major upgrade for Big East baseball. The only thing that I think would give the Shocker's pause would be the possibility of them starting football again.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: Big 10, What is next?

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:I don't see the one giant football conference happening anytime soon. Too many existing TV deals to navigate.

I did like where he mentions Rassmussen's candidates for Big East expansion. Wichita State would be a great addition for the Big East. CU would again have a rival, the Big East gets a team with recent success in the basketball tourney, and would be a major upgrade for Big East baseball. The only thing that I think would give the Shocker's pause would be the possibility of them starting football again.

Greg
I didnt read his article, but wouldn't WSU be the only State school, which goes against one of the reasons for the breamup?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes, WSU would be the only state school. That is one thing that leads me to believe this won't ever happen, but for sport's sake it would be nice.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't see a lot of value for the Big East by brining in WSU. I think this 10 is really solid, only way I would see a good expansion is if UCONN dropped football. That or Wake Forest has been rumored to be on iffy financial grounds, if they dropped football they would fit.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't see a lot of value for the Big East by brining in WSU. I think this 10 is really solid, only way I would see a good expansion is if UCONN dropped football. That or Wake Forest has been rumored to be on iffy financial grounds, if they dropped football they would fit.

Agreed. The only other team that I could see joining the Big East is maybe St. Louis. but that would also give an uneven amount of teams.
No posts exist for this topic
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Big 10 New Alignment

Post by damonhynes »

Just when you thought college football couldn't get any more depressing: Wire reports indicate USC and UCLA are jumping to the B1G. :evil:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USC, UCLA looking to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten, report says

USC and UCLA are planning to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, according to a report Thursday by longtime Pac-12 insider Jon Wilner. The move has not been finalized “at the highest levels of power,” according to Wilner’s report.

Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger later confirmed such a move might be afoot.

USC and UCLA are flagship members of the Pac-12, which has existed for more than a century in various iterations. USC joined the old Pacific Coast Conference in 1921, with UCLA joining up in 1928. Such a move would not only gut the Pac-12, but make the Big Ten a 16-team super conference that stretches from coast-to-coast. In addition to its core Midwest members, the Big Ten also has Rutgers and Maryland on the East Coast. The “new” Big Ten would also continue to challenge the SEC for college football supremacy. Last summer, it was announced that Texas and Oklahoma — the two most high-profile members of the Big 12 — would join the SEC by 2025 if not earlier.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Dang. Should we expect a Pac-12 and Big 12 merger now?
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nebraska Football 2022

Post by Coyote »

USC, UCLA planning move from Pac-12 to Big Ten as early as 2024, sources say

USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, are planning to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as 2024, and a move is considered imminent, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday. There is still a formal notification process, as the two schools have to let the Pac-12 know their intentions to leave. USC and UCLA also have to formally apply to the Big Ten. According to a source, that process is underway. Multiple sources told ESPN on Thursday that the move is expected to happen. A source called the next steps "formalities," and an announcement could come within the next 24 hours.

A source said that the exploration of finances and what it would take to make the move has been going on for weeks. While finances are playing a big role in the move, competitiveness, brand and the overall landscape of the future of the sport have played a bigger role. "USC and UCLA have to make the decisions to position them best for the long term," a source familiar with the move told ESPN. "The future is so uncertain we need to be operating from a position of strength."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

USC and UCLA to the Big 10? Is this real?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Boy, the Big Ten and the SEC are getting fat. Figuratively speaking, of course.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I just want to see Nebraska and Oklahoma play each other again every year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reports: USC, UCLA in negotiations to join Big Ten Conference

UCLA and Southern California are planning to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten Conference in a surprising move that could lead to another major realignment of college sports. A person who has been briefed on the discussions between USC, UCLA and the Big Ten said the schools have taken steps to request an invitation to join the conference. The person spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because the schools' talks with the Big Ten have not been made public. The move would come as soon as 2024, after the Pac-12’s current media rights contracts with Fox and ESPN expire, and increase the size of the Big Ten to 16 schools.

The decision by the Los Angeles schools — two of the NCAA’s most decorated athletic programs — comes almost a year after Oklahoma and Texas formally accepted invitations to join the Southeastern Conference in July 2025. The Big Ten would become the first conference to stretch from the Atlantic to the Pacific, build on previous expansion into the nation's largest media markets and help the league keep pace with the SEC as one of the most powerful entities in college sports.

UCLA running back Zach Charbonnet (24) runs the ball in for a touch down as Southern California defensive lineman Jacob Lichtenstein (97) tries to stop him during the second half of a Nov. 20, 2021, game in Los Angeles.
MARK J. TERRILL, Associated Press
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USC, UCLA moving from Pac-12 to Big Ten in 2024

USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, were notified Thursday night that their application to join the Big Ten has been accepted. The schools will begin play in the conference in 2024. The vote was unanimous when Big Ten presidents and chancellors met on the addition of the two schools on Thursday evening, a source told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

"Ultimately, the Big Ten is the best home for USC and Trojan athletics as we move into the new world of collegiate sports," USC athletic director Mike Bohn said in a statement. "We are excited that our values align with the league's member institutions. We also will benefit from the stability and strength of the conference; the athletic caliber of Big Ten institutions; the increased visibility, exposure, and resources the conference will bring our student-athletes and programs; and the ability to expand engagement with our passionate alumni nationwide."

UCLA chancellor Gene Block and athletic director Martin Jarmond said in a statement: "Entry into the Big Ten will also help ensure that UCLA preserves and maintains all 25 current teams and more than 700 student-athletes in our program. Additionally, it means enhanced resources for all of our teams, from academic support to mental health and wellness. And although this move increases travel distances for teams, the resources offered by Big Ten membership may allow for more efficient transportation options. We would also explore scheduling accommodations with the Big Ten that best support our student-athletes' academic pursuits."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

mrsticka wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm I just want to see Nebraska and Oklahoma play each other again every year.
Me too. I wonder if Big 12 regrets adding Cincy, BYU and other others. They could have just merged with the PAC 12. PAC 12 is probably freaking out now.

I miss the Big 12.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Breaking News: USC and UCLA to Join the Big Ten in 2024

Big Ten Network

Watch Dave Revsine and the Big Ten Network team discuss the additions of UCLA and USC to the Big Ten Conference.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Urban Meyer was just gave his thoughts about Norte Dame….
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

The ACC is eliminating their divisions. Now that I think about it, maybe the Big 12 should've done that when Nebraska was still in it. That way, they could've played Oklahoma every year like they used to in the former Big 8.

Better yet, the NCAA ought to get rid of FBS and FCS and instead just have Division I and Division II, etc. Like basketball and baseball.

And determine conference champions the same way they do in basketball and baseball–With conference tournaments. Invite 8 teams to them and the last one standing is the conference champion.

Finally, a 16-20 team playoff to determine the national champion.

If college football was like this, I have no doubt it would be the most exciting sport in America. More so than the NFL.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Louie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:16 pm Dang. Should we expect a Pac-12 and Big 12 merger now?
Perhaps...and possibly the ACC. Or, Clemson, FSU and Miami approach the SEC making Stanford, Cal and Oregon more attractive to the B1G.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It will be interesting to see if Division 1 just drops down to 64-80 teams. NIL has totally changed the landscape.

Will be I interesting what the PAC 12 does next.

Same with Notre Dame.

Probably more moves coming this year.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good read on Notre Dame and the Big 10:

https://huskers.com/news/2022/6/24/mens ... lenge.aspx

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Shatel’s latest on expansion, with USC and UCLA coming to the Big 10:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/big-te ... 52520Alert
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

With the non-stop bizzaro news in today's world, this development is pretty cool.

Traveling Husker Fans in the 1990s: "This week we're packing up the van and heading to Ames. Then next week, we'll travel down to Norman. Oh but three weeks from now we'll be in Austin! Can't wait to see some live music."

Traveling Husker Fans in the mid-2020s: "This week we're packing up the van and heading to Chicago! Then next week we'll travel out to LA! And three weeks from now we'll be in NYC! Can't wait to go to a Broadway play!"
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 am With the non-stop bizzaro news in today's world, this development is pretty cool.

Traveling Husker Fans in the 1990s: "This week we're packing up the van and heading to Ames. Then next week, we'll travel down to Norman. Oh but three weeks from now we'll be in Austin! Can't wait to see some live music."

Traveling Husker Fans in the mid-2020s: "This week we're packing up the van and heading to Chicago! Then next week we'll travel out to LA! And three weeks from now we'll be in NYC! Can't wait to go to a Broadway play!"

Yeah for local travel I loved the Big 8/Big 12.

That being said, with Nebraska having such a large alumni base in California, those games might have the largest number of Nebraska road crowds.

Greg
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wow, I'm just now seeing this. Don't really know how I feel about it. It's just weird. We are moving evermore toward having two super conferences, and that part I don't care for. I think there will now have to be more jockeying for more schools to join the SEC and B1G. I think there will be a battle amongst schools to get out of the PAC12, BigXII, and ACC as they are becoming shells of conferences. They'll have trouble competing for playoff spots even more than they had before. I think we will soon see these conferences become more like group of 5 conferences, as the power programs leave, and group of 5 programs fill their vacancies. We've already seen it with the BigXII losing Oklahoma and Texas, and gaining UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU. They had to get four schools to even hope to make up for losing Texas and Oklahoma.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Maybe eventually, there'll be 2 large conferences. Either North and South or East and West?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Additional change coming according to Trev:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/big-te ... &fs=e&s=cl
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'Additional change is coming': Nebraska AD says realignment only part of work ahead

Trev Alberts’ family left for vacation without him. There was too much he had to do. Fewer than 24 hours after the Big Ten announced the landmark additions of UCLA and USC — effective for the 2024-25 school year — the Nebraska athletic director was en route to joining his crew Friday for the holiday weekend. Though he’s not exactly expecting a carefree few days. “Of course, I’ll have my laptop with me,” Alberts told The World-Herald. “We’re probably needing to invest in Zoom at some point.”

As seismic as the news was — adding two flagship Pac-12 brands that expand the Big Ten to 16 teams and give the league coast-to-coast influence from Hollywood to New Jersey — Alberts said it represents more of a beginning than an end. The conference was prepared when the Los Angeles universities reached out a few weeks ago about joining, allowing everything to come together in “a rather tight window” that didn’t become public until the 11th hour. “I think it’s important that we have strength in numbers and make sure that we’re aligned with institutions that share the vision,” Alberts said. “The Big Ten, I think, has done that.”

The ground is unstable in more areas than just conference realignment, Alberts said, though more of that could be on the way too. Nebraska continues to explore outsourcing its multimedia rights to a third party after going in-house last year. The transfer portal and name, image and likeness remain unsettled issues. So too do future conference decisions on potentially radical changes proposed by the Division I Transformation Committee that could include, in part, unlimited funding to what have historically been partial scholarship sports.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten remains in negotiations for its next media rights deal that was already projected to be worth more than $1 billion before the league added two premier brands from the nation’s No. 2 media market. And the league must still choose whether to scrap divisions — the Pac-12 and ACC recently made such moves — and what scheduling could look like, both now and when the Trojans and Bruins join the fray. Ensuring access to the College Football Playoff, at however many teams that might be, is a priority. “Additional change is coming,” Alberts said. “It will be uncomfortable. The most important thing is to make sure that Nebraska has a seat at the table that once the dust settles — and it won’t settle in the near term — that we’re well-positioned to have an athletic department with the resources and brand associated that our fans identify with."

“We’ve got some major issues that face us that frankly are not sustainable. Everybody understands that. I think there’s a lot to work through and a lot of questions that reside in the courts.” Anecdotally, Alberts said, he expects the additions of USC and UCLA to be meaningful to future Huskers because playing the Bruins in September 1993 was memorable for him. Then a senior linebacker, Alberts and eighth-ranked Nebraska held off UCLA 14-13 in front of 50,000 people in Los Angeles.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Tim Brando talking about Notre Dame, Clemson and others:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... oming/amp/

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Big 10, What is next?

Post by Coyote »

USC & UCLA to Big Ten, Notre Dame the next to join a conference?! Pete Thamel explains | SC with SVP

ESPN College Football

Pete Thamel joins SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt to discuss the state of college football after USC and UCLA announced their move to the Big Ten.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Lots of rumors circulating that Washington and Oregon are applying to join the Big 10.

Greg
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Greg S wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 am Lots of rumors circulating that Washington and Oregon are applying to join the Big 10.

Greg
Like I said earlier, that wouldn't surprise me. I think all of the opportunistic schools are scrambling to make moves now.

Which begs the question : which schools from the PAC12 and the ACC wouldn't apply to join the B1G? Or the bigger question, which of the schools in both those conferences wouldn't be accepted?

I kind of like where this is headed. Now that I've had time to process it, I think I'd like CFB divided into one North and one South conference (B!G and SEC). 28 teams each. 4 divisions of 7 teams for each conference. Each team plays six division games, two inter-division games, and four "cupcakes" or other "non-conference" games of choice, Division winners (decided by best record in division and inter-division games and tie breakers) face off in an 8 team playoff.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Forget the Power 5, it's the Big 2 and everybody else - Brett McMurphy | The Paul Finebaum Show
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Norte Dame in the Big Ten? Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten? What about the SEC ?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Statement About Big Ten Expansion

The Big Ten Conference Council of Presidents and Chancellors voted unanimously on Thursday, June 30 to admit the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and the University of Southern California (USC) to the Big Ten Conference effective August 2, 2024. Competition will begin for all conference sports in the 2024-25 academic year. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green and Vice Chancellor, Director of Athletics Trev Alberts issued the following statement regarding the addition of UCLA and USC as Big Ten Conference members.

Joint Statement from University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green and Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Trev Alberts:
"This is an exciting and historic day for the Big Ten Conference and the University of Nebraska. The addition of UCLA and USC to the Big Ten is a bold, ambitious step during a time of historic change in the collegiate athletics landscape. These institutions will add two world-class athletic departments and brands to the Big Ten and stretch the Conference footprint from coast to coast. For the University of Nebraska, there are many positives associated with this expansion. UNL has a large alumni base in California that will have a great opportunity to regularly watch our teams compete in historical athletic venues in Southern California. Nebraska has had a history of success recruiting athletes from California, and this will only enhance Nebraska's profile in a fertile recruiting ground. We welcome UCLA and USC to the Big Ten Conference and look forward to competing with them in the future."

Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Sean Callahan was on 1110 Friday morning discussing this move by UCLA and USC. He put forth the idea the Big10 could pick up Washington, and Stanford, then use the additions of USC/Stanford to essentially strong arm Norte Dame into joining. Ultimately I think we are heading eventually to there being two super conferences like the NFLs NFC-AFC system, while who ever is left is either outta luck or stuck going to D2.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What is the USC-UCLA impact on Big Ten competition? Depends on the sport

What exactly is the Big Ten getting in UCLA and Southern California? Big-picture answers are mostly nebulous with the Pac-12 name brands still 25 months from joining their new league. Academic prestige and culture are perception. Precise financial value is undefined with media rights negotiations ongoing. The answer is clearer from an athletic competition standpoint that varies greatly from sport to sport. In football — the reason the landmark migration is happening in the first place — the Bruins and Trojans are sleeping giants of sorts.

Plenty could change with UCLA by the time it becomes a Big Ten member. It endured five straight losing seasons before fourth-year coach Chip Kelly logged an 8-4 campaign last fall as the L.A. team reached as high as No. 13 in the polls. The Bruins claim just one national title (1954) but have historically been reliable to be nationally relevant on a semi-regular basis. They have at least one top-10 finish in eight of the past nine decades, and even in the one they don’t — the 2000s, when USC was rolling — they popped into the top 10 at some point during three seasons.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Shatel: This new Big Ten is a predator — with its eyes on Notre Dame

The Irish are the only Big Ten target now. But it wouldn’t be hard to see Stanford (perhaps as an ND lure), Washington and Oregon coming aboard later. Wow. Think about the power in that boardroom.

Forget the Big Ten West. What’s going to happen when you add USC, Notre Dame, Washington and Oregon to the mix. The emphasis in this new group will be making the playoffs. Not everyone can do it every year. But at Nebraska, the expectation will be to get your share of turns.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Husker Doc Talk: Welcome USC and UCLA to the Big Ten
Where is it all heading? Get ready for another division that separates the haves from the have-nots

What a week for the Big Ten Conference! The college football landscape as we know it continues to experience seismic shifts. Starting in 2024, the Big Ten will stretch from sea to shining sea with the addition of USC and UCLA. When the news dropped, the entire world seemed shocked at the major coup Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren pulled off. However, if you went back almost a year ago, we discussed the possibility of it happening right here on the podcast.

In this edition of the Doc Talk Podcast presented by Betfred Sports, Dr. Rob Zatechka and Travis Justice dive further into what conference expansion looks like. We've said it before, and we will repeat it, it's not about what schools provide the best competition to the rest of the league. Instead, it's about the school or region that can bring the most eyeballs, which means more money. How about the College Football Playoff? What will that look like? You may not like the answer, but our theory is to get ready for another division that separates the haves from the have-nots. So here's a hint, you want to be in the Big Ten or the SEC.

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/cy ... 202216.mp3