Nebraska Basketball 2016-17

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Re: Nebraska Basketball 2016-17

Post by Linkin5 »

I don't think Miles is going to be able to survive these last losses. Last night was unacceptable.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:I don't think Miles is going to be able to survive these last losses. Last night was unacceptable.

Last night much of the crowd left early. The sad part is even with that they were there longer than the team and coaching staff were there.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I don't think Miles is going to be able to survive these last losses. Last night was unacceptable.

Last night much of the crowd left early. The sad part is even with that they were there longer than the team and coaching staff were there.
Nebraska basketball has become very good at finding new ways to fall deeper into the black hole of futility..

As bad as it's been, to lose like that in front of your home crowd of 14,000+.. The lowest of the low...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Nebraska basketball has become very good at finding new ways to fall deeper into the black hole of futility..

As bad as it's been, to lose like that in front of your home crowd of 14,000+.. The lowest of the low...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
No matter what the official numbers are there were not 14K there at any time last night. Too many empty seats from the beginning.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Time to rehire Nee.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:Time to rehire Nee.
Time to move forward, not backwards. He lost the team at his end too.

How old is he now anyway? Has to be up there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
No matter what the official numbers are there were not 14K there at any time last night. Too many empty seats from the beginning.

It did look like a lot of people were there on TV. I tuned in about 5 minutes in.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

It did look like a lot of people were there on TV. I tuned in about 5 minutes in.

Greg
Don't get me wrong. The turnout was solid for a Sun night with a run of bad games down the streach. Not trying to say it was sub 10K at all. There were just a lot of empty seats scatted throughout all areas that, to me, make 14K impossible with a seating capacity of 15.3K
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:

He's probably 800, and my comment was more in jest than reality.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

He's probably 800, and my comment was more in jest than reality.
Had to go look. Not quite 800 yet. 71, turning 72 in June

Since 2015 he has been an assistant coach at Gateway High School in PA

Last Head Coaching role ended in 2006 at Duquesne
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I think today would could and should be the last Nebraska game Tim Miles ever coachs. Penn State is favored by 2 points and I think they will win almost guaranteed. Tim Miles will be fired within the next 2 weeks and rightfully so.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I think today would could and should be the last Nebraska game Tim Miles ever coachs. Penn State is favored by 2 points and I think they will win almost guaranteed. Tim Miles will be fired within the next 2 weeks and rightfully so.
IF we loose
and IF he is fired it will not take two weeks.
It will happen no later than Monday and probably sooner. If he is still in place a week after the last game he will be here next season.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I think today would could and should be the last Nebraska game Tim Miles ever coachs. Penn State is favored by 2 points and I think they will win almost guaranteed. Tim Miles will be fired within the next 2 weeks and rightfully so.
IF we loose
and IF he is fired it will not take two weeks.
It will happen no later than Monday and probably sooner. If he is still in place a week after the last game he will be here next season.
Firing him before Monday makes sense. Nebraska can then start scouting out the coaches in the tourney and line up a replacement quick before some other college snags them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here's the official word....
Shawn Eichorst @BigRedAD wrote:
Look forward to next season of @HuskerHoops under @CoachMiles leadership...the future is bright! GBR!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
Shawn Eichorst @BigRedAD wrote:
Look forward to next season of @HuskerHoops under @CoachMiles leadership...the future is bright! GBR!

I'm just going to grab my popcorn...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am OK with this and would been OK if it went the other way. next year has to be different though or the courtship is over.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As Brad posted...:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm good with this too. I would have understood if they had made a change (though I don't trust Eichorst to make good hires). It will make for an easy decision next year, make the tournament or make a change.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

One of the many things that make me take pause with what Tim has been doing is the fact that he has lost at least one assistant every year. In many cases it is a lateral move at best and maybe a step backwards. Wonder if anyone leaves his staff this year, or maybe more than one? The seat for next season will definitely be warm.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:One of the many things that make me take pause with what Tim has been doing is the fact that he has lost at least one assistant every year. In many cases it is a lateral move at best and maybe a step backwards. Wonder if anyone leaves his staff this year, or maybe more than one? The seat for next season will definitely be warm.
Yeah turnover has been an issue with him. The biggest coaching loss I think was when Craig Smith got the head coaching job at South Dakota (though you can see him leaving for that to be a head coach).

He also can't afford any high profile transfers.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:As Brad posted...:
image.jpeg

In summation we can look forward next year to many beat downs of the Nebraska Basketball and Football teams. The entire program has been ran into the ditch.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It was a down year for the Big 10 in basketball. That being said, getting 3 teams into the Sweet 16 has been impressive. Did not see that coming.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:As Brad posted...:
image.jpeg

In summation we can look forward next year to many beat downs of the Nebraska Basketball and Football teams. The entire program has been ran into the ditch.
It's very, very sad. All of Nebraska's athletics are in shambles. Creighton basketball was a paper tiger. UNO fired it's baseball coach and they are 2-16 as of now. NU football will get ran off the field again next year with their thinned-out defense. NU baseball can only beat teams you've never heard of. Creighton baseball is Creighton baseball. Nebraska basketball is horrid. UNO hockey couldn't beat a team that was ranked. Our state is a laughing stock when it comes to sports.
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

The Chicago Tribune today (March 23rd) ranks the Big Ten basketball coaching jobs, from best to worst. It ranks Indiana as the best place to coach. Nebraska is 13th primarily because there are few big-time recruits in the area. Th only job ranking worse is Penn State
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Fort Calhoun wrote:The Chicago Tribune today (March 23rd) ranks the Big Ten basketball coaching jobs, from best to worst. It ranks Indiana as the best place to coach. Nebraska is 13th primarily because there are few big-time recruits in the area. Th only job ranking worse is Penn State

Yeah it was by Teddy Greenstein. I thought it was pretty accurate for Nebraska and the challenges here. I was surprised Michigan State was not 3rd.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

It has been in the news that a couple players have left the UNL team. I came across this article of an interview with Izzo of MSU

A couple of interesting quotes --
“The profession has changed. Twenty years ago, it changed with talk radio, but talk radio didn’t even put a dent when you compare it to what social media and the internet has done,” Izzo said. “That’s changed everybody. We’re up to over 700 (basketball) players transferring already, and I heard we’re going to go over 800.

“We’re creating a system that we’re never teaching a kid how to fight through (tough times). There’s a lot of kids who should transfer for the right reasons. But 3/4 of the kids are transferring because they didn’t get enough shots, didn’t get enough ball, didn’t do this or that. We’re helping create a society of, when the going gets tough, you bolt and leave.”
More than 700 college hoops players transferred last year. It was around 200 a decade ago. Izzo saw two players transfer out of his own program in the last month, but he's been supportive of them.

Again, he’s putting this swell on the people influencing kids, and it's not just transfers. Izzo often says today's players are taught to believe that, if they don't leave early for the NBA, they're failing. So there's more pressure to leave.

Tom Izzo: We're creating a system where kids don't learn to handle adversity

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Tom ... j.facebook