Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

Post by mrsticka »

They had one of the greatest rivalries in football. Nothing gets Husker and Sooner fans more excited than that. But I wonder what if they had rivalries in other sports, too? Such as basketball, baseball, volleyball, track, lacrosse, etc.? If the last game of whatever Big 8/Big 12 tournament was being played and it featured the 2 teams to decide the conference champion?

It's just a hypothetical. But wouldn't that have been something?

Now that we're in the Big 10, who could it come down to? Nebraska vs. who else? Wisconsin? Michigan? Michigan State? Ohio State?
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

Post by Omababe »

Iowa!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Illinois?
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We don't have that team yet in the Big 10. It won't be Iowa. We just don't see them as an equal, even when they beat us. Even after last year they are not supposed to sell out the Nebraska game in Iowa City. Going forward most likely Wisconsin since they are in our division. If we played Michigan or Ohio State regularly they could be a rival but it's too infrequent.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:We don't have that team yet in the Big 10. It won't be Iowa. We just don't see them as an equal, even when they beat us. Even after last year they are not supposed to sell out the Nebraska game in Iowa City. Going forward most likely Wisconsin since they are in our division. If we played Michigan or Ohio State regularly they could be a rival but it's too infrequent.

Greg

Iowa is the Colorado or old
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Greg S wrote:We don't have that team yet in the Big 10. It won't be Iowa. We just don't see them as an equal, even when they beat us. Even after last year they are not supposed to sell out the Nebraska game in Iowa City. Going forward most likely Wisconsin since they are in our division. If we played Michigan or Ohio State regularly they could be a rival but it's too infrequent.

Greg

Iowa is the last game of the season. By that time you will have Nebraska coming in having lost 5 or 6 games with some bad loses to pretty bad teams. Should not be any surprise that nobody wants to see a team of that caliber play on a cold November day.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Greg

Iowa is the last game of the season. By that time you will have Nebraska coming in having lost 5 or 6 games with some bad loses to pretty bad teams. Should not be any surprise that nobody wants to see a team of that caliber play on a cold November day.
That made me chuckle just a tiny bit.
No posts exist for this topic
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

First off, Nebraska needs to be a great football program to gain another rivalry. NU and OU formed a rivalry because both programs were constantly in the top 15 if not the top 10. Even Minnesota has a rivalry with Wisconsin. That's because it started when both teams were really good. Minnesota and Wisconsin play every year, and to date, Minnesota leads that series. I remember walking the 90th and Dodge area as a kid with my cousin when NU and OU played. We literally could walk in the middle of Dodge street because there was zero traffic. Yes, it was Thanksgiving weekend so that added to the desolation; but still........
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

choke wrote:First off, Nebraska needs to be a great football program to gain another rivalry. NU and OU formed a rivalry because both programs were constantly in the top 15 if not the top 10. Even Minnesota has a rivalry with Wisconsin. That's because it started when both teams were really good. Minnesota and Wisconsin play every year, and to date, Minnesota leads that series. I remember walking the 90th and Dodge area as a kid with my cousin when NU and OU played. We literally could walk in the middle of Dodge street because there was zero traffic. Yes, it was Thanksgiving weekend so that added to the desolation; but still........
Yeah, can't argue with that. We did have a pretty bumpy first year under Riley. Hopefully, this coming season won't be a repeat of last season where we have the lead with 10 seconds left only to lose on the last play.

But anyway, I was asking what if Nebraska and Oklahoma had rivalries in other sports besides football. Having them in baseball, basketball, volleyball, track, lacrosse, etc., as well. For example, the final game of whatever Big 12 Tournament was being played to decide the conference champion and it featuring Nebraska and Oklahoma. Has that happened before?
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

mrsticka wrote: Has that happened before?
OU was almost always better in basketball since the 1980's, but I do remember an entertaining rivalry between Waymond Tisdale and Dave Hoppen.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I loved Billy Tubbs. There were some real interesting games between OU when Tubbs was there vs Nee and the Huskers.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Greg

Based on last year, pretty hard to argue that point for the near future.

Iowa had a hard time selling out any games last year. Despite their undefeated record last year, they only had one sell out and were having some of the smallest crowds in a decade. Our availability of season tickets and the issues surrounding it pale in comparison to the drop in Iowa attendance and support.

Greg
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

mrsticka wrote:
choke wrote:First off, Nebraska needs to be a great football program to gain another rivalry. NU and OU formed a rivalry because both programs were constantly in the top 15 if not the top 10. Even Minnesota has a rivalry with Wisconsin. That's because it started when both teams were really good. Minnesota and Wisconsin play every year, and to date, Minnesota leads that series. I remember walking the 90th and Dodge area as a kid with my cousin when NU and OU played. We literally could walk in the middle of Dodge street because there was zero traffic. Yes, it was Thanksgiving weekend so that added to the desolation; but still........
Yeah, can't argue with that. We did have a pretty bumpy first year under Riley. Hopefully, this coming season won't be a repeat of last season where we have the lead with 10 seconds left only to lose on the last play.

But anyway, I was asking what if Nebraska and Oklahoma had rivalries in other sports besides football. Having them in baseball, basketball, volleyball, track, lacrosse, etc., as well. For example, the final game of whatever Big 12 Tournament was being played to decide the conference champion and it featuring Nebraska and Oklahoma. Has that happened before?

That's a good question.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The only other semi rivalry I remember in my 50 years living in Nebraska was in gymnastics in the late 70s & 80s. Nebraska won a ton of trophys & sent a couple of guys to the olympics. Oklahoma was also good in that sport.

During the NU/OU rivalry there was something you rarely see. No matter if the game was in Lincoln or Norman the fans got along. While in school at NU I attended games in Norman & their fans invited us to their tailgates & we ate really good. Same thing happened in Lincoln. Not a lot of trash talk & there was respect for each other. OU also played Texas every year & some thought that was the real rivalry. No matter. It was usually #1 vs #2 in the NU OU game. Also, Osborne & Switzer were friends believe it or not. Their personalities were diametrically opposed but they respected each other.

Living in Detroit all I hear is how Ohio State & the entire state sucks. Worst. State. Ever. & things like that. I've even been told that when I enter Franklin County, Ohio with my Michigan plate I am to drive under the speed limit because they live for ticketing Michigan drivers. It's crazy. Zero respect on either side.

As to B1G rivals for Nebraska I was seriously hoping for Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. When they split the conference in half NU got the also rans. I'm sorry if that hurts some feelings but those three are or were the giants in the conference & there was a time when NU would have been right up there with them. Not so anymore.

The only heat I get when I wear my Nebraska gear is sometimes regarding the 97 championship & that's faded over time.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

If Barry Switzer had still been coach of Oklahoma in 1996 when the Big 12 was formed, I have no doubt he'd make it to the first Big 12 Championship game that year. Nebraska did that year and lost. Knowing Switzer's record against Nebraska, he'd probably beat us in that game.