Omaha Lancers 2016-2017 season

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaharichard
New to the Neighborhood

Omaha Lancers 2016-2017 season

Post by omaharichard »

The Omaha Lancer's season opener will be September 23rd against the Fargo Force. Puck drop will be at 7:05PM
Prior to that they will be having a pre-season game against rivals Lincoln Stars on September 15th at the Ralston Arena on the main ice. Puck drop will be at 7:05PM
And even one week before that Omaha/Ralston will be hosting the USHL Fall Classic for the Western Conference of the league during the dates of September 8th-11th. Times for the Fall Classic are as listed:
9/8/2016-2:00 PM-Lincoln-Des Moines @Ralston Arena Auxilary
9/8/2016-4:00 PM-Waterloo-Sioux City@Ralston Arena Main
9/8/2016-6:00 PM-Sioux Falls-Fargo@Ralston Arena Auxilary
9/8/2016-8:00 PM-Omaha-Tri-City@Ralston Arena Main
9/9/2016-10:00 AM-Des Moines-Waterloo@Ralston Arena Main
9/9/2016-1:00 PM-Red Bull-Fargo@Ralston Arena Main
9/9/2016-4:00 PM-Team USA-Tri-City@Ralston Arena Main
9/9/2016-7:15 PM-Omaha-Lincoln@Ralston Arena Main
9/9/2016-8:00 PM-Sioux City-Sioux Falls@Ralston Arena Auxilary
9/10/2016 -10:00 AM-Red Bull-Des Moines@Ralston Arena Main
9/10/2016 -1:00 PM-Sioux City-Fargo@Ralston Arena Main
9/10/2016 -4:00 PM-Omaha-Team USA@Ralston Arena Main
9/10/2016 -7:15 PM-Lincoln-Sioux Falls@Ralston Arena Main
9/10/2016 -8:00 PM-Tri-City-Waterloo@Ralston Arena Auxilary
September looks to be a fun month if you're into Lancer hockey or just hockey in general. I know I will be at all events as I am a season ticket holder.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Re: Omaha Lancers 2016-2017 season

Post by twiztid1 »

I'm glad the USHL brought back the Fall Classic this season. The event was held in Sioux City for several years, but it appears the league no longer wanted host it there as they cancelled it last season. Omaha is a good host city for fan, team, and scout travel in addition to having several quality facility options. Other cities can be limited in certain areas. The tournament is split in half with the West playing in Omaha, and the East playing in Pittsburgh. This format makes it a little easier and cheaper for the far Eastern teams to participate.

The Fall Classic is a great event for fans because we get to watch other teams in the league. Players compete hard as they are trying to make USHL teams and are being watched by a lot of college and NHL scouts. Lancers season ticket holders receive passes good for every game.

The USHL is also hosting a youth tournament in Omaha at Ralston and Baxter. There will be 16 U16 teams competing, including Omaha AAA.

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/6 ... id=2650688
The United States Hockey League announced the full schedule and teams playing in the inaugural Fall Classic West Youth Tournament. 16 of the nation’s top youth U16 teams will compete in group play, followed by a semifinal and final game to determine a champion. All games will take place at Baxter Arena, home of the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks, and Ralston Arena, home of the Omaha Lancers. Youth players will have complimentary access to all USHL games at the Fall Classic West, in addition to a Mavericks practice.
Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Lancers 2016-2017 season

Post by Brad »

ELLIS JOINS COACHING STAFF
Former Lancer Standout Returns
Omaha Lancers wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ralston, NE – The Omaha Lancers announced today that former goaltender Dan Ellis will join the team as an assistant coach. Ellis previously played for the Lancers during the 1999-00 season.

Ellis joins the Lancers after finishing a professional career that spanned 13 seasons finishing with the Hershey Bears of the AHL last season. A veteran of over 200 NHL games, Ellis finished his NHL career with a lifetime save percentage of .906 and goals against average of 2.79. The Saskatoon native also appeared in 181 games at the AHL and ECHL level.

“We’re thrilled to have Dan join our staff,” said Lancers GM and head coach Brian Kaufman. “Dan will not only be a huge asset for our goaltenders but for everyone on our roster. Anytime you can bring in someone who has not only played at the highest level, but knows what it takes to win it’s something you have to do.”

Ellis’ experiences as a Lancer and time in the Omaha community made the choice to join the organization an easy one for the former netminder.

“Joining the Lancers is something that I take great pride in,” said Ellis. “My life and career changed when I became a Lancer and now this is my chance to give back. I look forward to assisting the staff and players with the intention of bringing back a championship.”

Ellis appeared in 55 games for the Lancers during the 1999-00 season posting a record of 34-16-4 with a 2.25 GAA and .925 SV%, en route to being named 2000 USHL Goaltender of the Year. He is one of five goaltenders in USHL history to win the USHL Player of the Year Award. Ellis played three seasons at the University of Nebraska-Omaha and was named to the 2001 CCHA All-Rookie Team.

“Dan really embodies what it means to be a Lancer and we look forward to having him here day in and day out,” stated Kaufman.

The Lancers host Des Moines on Wednesday night at Ralston Arena. Puck drop set for 7:05 pm. Tickets still available at www.homepridetix.com