2-Minute Warning

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

2-Minute Warning

Post by mrsticka »

How come the NFL has one, but college football doesn't?
Coyote
City Council

Re: 2-Minute Warning

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:How come the NFL has one, but college football doesn't?
Because the NFL uses it as a time to sell extra advertisement, and for owners and executives to refresh their drinks. You can't sell drinks at NCAA games.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
mrsticka wrote:How come the NFL has one, but college football doesn't?
Because the NFL uses it as a time to sell extra advertisement, and for owners and executives to refresh their drinks. You can't sell drinks at NCAA games.
And it's been part of the NFL as long as I remember..and I've been watching the NFL since 1970.. When I was 9 years old...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:And it's been part of the NFL as long as I remember..and I've been watching the NFL since 1970.. When I was 9 years old...
It was originally put into play to make sure the play clock which was kept by an referee on the field, match up with the play clock as seen on the scoreboard. But ever since the official clock moved up to the booth, its function is really frivolous.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:And it's been part of the NFL as long as I remember..and I've been watching the NFL since 1970.. When I was 9 years old...
It was originally put into play to make sure the play clock which was kept by an referee on the field, match up with the play clock as seen on the scoreboard. But ever since the official clock moved up to the booth, its function is really frivolous.
Right.. But after so many years, it's woven in as a mosaic of the game.. Not just for extra advertisement $ for the league, which is valid.. In training camps, coaches use it as a situational part of the game as in their 2 minute drills etc.. So it's more than just about the advertising $.. It's become a traditional part of the game as it relates to coaches strategy and time outs remaining etc etc..

And I like that it's unique to the NFL vs college football.. And I'm probably different than most here as I prefer the NFL over college football. As much as I enjoy the Huskers and am a fan and an alum, I know on an Omaha forum, I'm in the minority on this opinion, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:You can't sell drinks at NCAA games.
You mean alcoholic beverages? Some college stadiums around the country are actually starting to sell them. However, Memorial Stadium is not one of them.