2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1836
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby bigredmed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Greg S wrote:I agree. Lately they've been downsizing coaching salaries and going with cheaper in house candidates. I'm afraid this will happen again with hockey. Hockey is their marquee sport, like NU football and CU basketball. This is the one sport UNO can not shop on the end caps for good deals. Need to spend to get the right person.

Greg


Yes, but this will be difficult to do as the AD is run by a group of people who don't get it, and there is a budget squeeze they have no remedy for. UNO will end up getting some B-team coach. I think this will be the trigger that lets Husker D1 hockey come to life. The regents will say that UNO had it's chance and that they should just settle for a club team for now if they can't recruit a high level coach. Then they will set things up to make sure no one good will take the job.

omaha79
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby omaha79 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:27 pm

The problem is that UNO athletics reminds me of a failing business run by leaders who have no clue how to stem the tide other than cutting budgets any way possible and selling off assets (in this case coaches). This mentality is doomed to failure.

It's like a doctor continuing to cut of body parts off of a patient they know has a disease, rather than actually trying to find a cure for the disease itself.

There is no creativity in this leadership. As a season ticket holder, the only time I ever hear anything from UNO athletics is when they want my season ticket money or they want a donation to the One Fund. After almost 8 years of Trev Alberts leadership, the marketing arm of the athletic department still operates with a D-II mentality. There are no perks to being a ticketholder. There are no discounts on tickets to other sports. There are no discounts on merchandise. There are no exclusive events for season ticket holders (unless you donate an outrageous amount of money to the One Fund).

To fix the budget deficits that UNO faces, the athletic department needs bold and creative leadership. I don't believe Trev Alberts has these tools in his toolbox. He needs to be playing chess...he's playing checkers and hasn't shown the capacity for much beyond that.

It's time for a change at the top. I would not let him make another coaching hire in any sport let alone the flagship sport for the entire university.

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:40 pm

bigredmed wrote:
Greg S wrote:I agree. Lately they've been downsizing coaching salaries and going with cheaper in house candidates. I'm afraid this will happen again with hockey. Hockey is their marquee sport, like NU football and CU basketball. This is the one sport UNO can not shop on the end caps for good deals. Need to spend to get the right person.

Greg


Yes, but this will be difficult to do as the AD is run by a group of people who don't get it, and there is a budget squeeze they have no remedy for. UNO will end up getting some B-team coach. I think this will be the trigger that lets Husker D1 hockey come to life. The regents will say that UNO had it's chance and that they should just settle for a club team for now if they can't recruit a high level coach. Then they will set things up to make sure no one good will take the job.



Er...no. If that does come into play, that would just lend thoughts that Trevy boy is trying to prop up a floundering UNL Athletics program with another program that can't really compete in the Big 10.

Trev has got to go, he's been in over his head since day #1, Omaha79 is right. He's picking his nose while everyone is playing chess.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby choke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Any Guesses on new coach? Mike Hastings?

omaha79
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby omaha79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 am

Probably Mike Gabinet

Greg S
Planning Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby Greg S » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:59 am

omaha79 wrote:Probably Mike Gabinet



Yeah based on UNO's hires since they have hit major budget issues, they will go with the cheaper, internal option. Gabinet will most likey be UNO"s next hire. He was brought in by Trev and Kemp last year, not by Blais.

Greg

Greg S
Planning Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby Greg S » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Greg S wrote:I agree. Lately they've been downsizing coaching salaries and going with cheaper in house candidates. I'm afraid this will happen again with hockey. Hockey is their marquee sport, like NU football and CU basketball. This is the one sport UNO can not shop on the end caps for good deals. Need to spend to get the right person.

Greg


Yes, but this will be difficult to do as the AD is run by a group of people who don't get it, and there is a budget squeeze they have no remedy for. UNO will end up getting some B-team coach. I think this will be the trigger that lets Husker D1 hockey come to life. The regents will say that UNO had it's chance and that they should just settle for a club team for now if they can't recruit a high level coach. Then they will set things up to make sure no one good will take the job.



Er...no. If that does come into play, that would just lend thoughts that Trevy boy is trying to prop up a floundering UNL Athletics program with another program that can't really compete in the Big 10.

Trev has got to go, he's been in over his head since day #1, Omaha79 is right. He's picking his nose while everyone is playing chess.



Also, what UNO does, has absolutely no bearing on UNL's athletics. I always find it interesting that some UNO fans think they have such an impact on what occurs down in Lincoln. They just don't. They are not even in the same neighborhood. UNL is a Power 5 athletic department that has been self supporting for years. They are now in the richest conference in college sports, they are now about to enter their first year getting paid by the conference as a full member, and the Big 10 just signed the richest TV contracts in history. UNL will not be making monetary decisions, or decisions on hockey based on UNO's success or failure.

Greg

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Greg S wrote:I agree. Lately they've been downsizing coaching salaries and going with cheaper in house candidates. I'm afraid this will happen again with hockey. Hockey is their marquee sport, like NU football and CU basketball. This is the one sport UNO can not shop on the end caps for good deals. Need to spend to get the right person.

Greg


Yes, but this will be difficult to do as the AD is run by a group of people who don't get it, and there is a budget squeeze they have no remedy for. UNO will end up getting some B-team coach. I think this will be the trigger that lets Husker D1 hockey come to life. The regents will say that UNO had it's chance and that they should just settle for a club team for now if they can't recruit a high level coach. Then they will set things up to make sure no one good will take the job.



Er...no. If that does come into play, that would just lend thoughts that Trevy boy is trying to prop up a floundering UNL Athletics program with another program that can't really compete in the Big 10.

Trev has got to go, he's been in over his head since day #1, Omaha79 is right. He's picking his nose while everyone is playing chess.



Also, what UNO does, has absolutely no bearing on UNL's athletics. I always find it interesting that some UNO fans think they have such an impact on what occurs down in Lincoln. They just don't. They are not even in the same neighborhood. UNL is a Power 5 athletic department that has been self supporting for years. They are now in the richest conference in college sports, they are now about to enter their first year getting paid by the conference as a full member, and the Big 10 just signed the richest TV contracts in history. UNL will not be making monetary decisions, or decisions on hockey based on UNO's success or failure.

Greg



Psssh, we all know Trev is secretly undermining UNO :;):
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby choke » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:Probably Mike Gabinet



Yeah based on UNO's hires since they have hit major budget issues, they will go with the cheaper, internal option. Gabinet will most likey be UNO"s next hire. He was brought in by Trev and Kemp last year, not by Blais.

Greg


Alberts said money wasn't going to be an issue. And if it was, he said he had donors that will back him for the best hire. At least, that's what he said during an interview. Blais is supposed to be helping in the process of finding the next coach. But perhaps it will just be the assistant promoted.

Greg S
Planning Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby Greg S » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 am

I think they kind of have to say that. I hope it's true. If they do have the money lined up, I think the new coach would also want to bring his own assistants. Time will tell.

Hopefully Trev and the donors are working on fixing the budget mess UNO has with athletics and Baxter Arena.

Greg

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am

choke wrote:
Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:Probably Mike Gabinet



Yeah based on UNO's hires since they have hit major budget issues, they will go with the cheaper, internal option. Gabinet will most likey be UNO"s next hire. He was brought in by Trev and Kemp last year, not by Blais.

Greg


Alberts said money wasn't going to be an issue. And if it was, he said he had donors that will back him for the best hire. At least, that's what he said during an interview. Blais is supposed to be helping in the process of finding the next coach. But perhaps it will just be the assistant promoted.



Who are the big donors of UNO Hockey?

I mean, I can name ones for Creighton, and certainly for Nebraska...but for UNO Athletics who are the big ones?
No posts exist for this topic

omaha79
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby omaha79 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Greg S wrote:I think they kind of have to say that. I hope it's true. If they do have the money lined up, I think the new coach would also want to bring his own assistants. Time will tell.

Hopefully Trev and the donors are working on fixing the budget mess UNO has with athletics and Baxter Arena.

Greg


I'd rather have the big money donors focus on paying off Baxter Arena (if there are really that many that exist with truly deep pockets and I'm talking 6-7 figure donations). That is the key here. If UNO was operating it free and clear outside of maintenance and staff, they would be in a much better position. Things like coaching salaries and full cost of attendance scholarships shouldn't really be an issue at that point. Having a donor pony up for a new coaches salary is a bandaid. It's a one time fix, but the real problem is the debt service on the arena.

The post below asks who are the big money donors? I haven't found anything for the most recent year, but I did find the 2014-2015 One Fund brochure that comes out annually. The big UNO athletics donors would be those that donate $15k or more annually and are part of the "Legacy Society". At that time, the "Legacy Society" donors to The One Fund were...

Aircraft Specialties, Inc.
Beau Baltzell
Ron & Connie Brasel
Tim & Michelle Burd
William & Pamela Fleming
John & Carmen Gottschalk
Jon Jabenis
Right at Home, Inc.
Don & Barb Story
Dr. Steven Williams
Brant Yantzer


http://docplayer.net/14716303-2015-2016 ... paign.html

Obbiously, this list has likely changed in the last several years. The next level down donates $5k-$14,999 and there were a couple dozen on that list.

Greg S
Planning Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby Greg S » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 pm

He's not listed there but Howard Hawks has been a big donor to UNO.

Greg

omaha79
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 2016-2017 UNO Hockey

Postby omaha79 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Greg S wrote:He's not listed there but Howard Hawks has been a big donor to UNO.

Greg


Some of those 6 figure plus donors probably don't donate to The One Fund. They just tell the AD where they want the money to go. It's a different stratosphere of donors altogether.


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest