Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Stargazer »

I think it all comes down to line play on both sides of the ball. If Lee is left scrambling, long season... inability to open pass rush lanes for linebackers, same thing.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:I think they can win that game up in Oregon, because Oregon isn't who it used to be. Then, in Nebraska's favor, the high profile must win games (Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa) are at home this year.

This team COULD start 6-0 to welcome Ohio State. Then you never know. Funny things happen in that stadium. But if I had to choose two "guaranteed losses" it is that one and at Penn State. All the other critical match-ups are pretty manageable (At Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern, at Minnesota, Iowa). The schedule couldn't have worked out better this year, and the team now has to rise to that golden opportunity.
This could all happen.. Similar to last season starting 7-0 (unfortunately, ending with a 2-4 thud)..

Prediction for this Saturday's NU vs Arkansas St match up- I say 38-14 NU..

What say you?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Too many growing pains for that big a spread in game one. Huskers win though. 28-20
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Nebraska is favored in Vegas by 17 points. Nebraska should be a good bet. However...... considering that unbelievable swiss cheese of a defense that Nebraska had last year it is just not all that inconceivable that some garbage team like Arkansas State could score 25 or 30 points on them. Then Nebraska is going to need to score 40 or 50 points to cover the spread. I say for the money bet on Arkansas State. Nebraska wins but they do not cover the spread. Bet on it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Arkansas St is not a garbage team
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
This could all happen.. Similar to last season starting 7-0 (unfortunately, ending with a 2-4 thud)..

Prediction for this Saturday's NU vs Arkansas St match up- I say 38-14 NU..

What say you?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
ARST isn't a bad team from what I've looked at. They will be a formidable test to this new Nebraska team. I think they'll make us a little nervous, but Nebraska will pull it out.

I think both teams will give up some touchdowns early and ARST will stop Nebraska short on a few drives. I don't think ARST will keep up in the offensive category, though. They'll seize their opportunities with Nebraska's fresh and untested defense.

I'm right there with you Cowboy, I'll predict 38-24.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: I'm right there with you Cowboy, I'll predict 38-24.
Thanks man. I'm probably being overly ambitions with my prediction, but I'm going to stick with my original prognostication, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

NU 45
ASU 17

Yes, Arkansas State is a decent Sun Belt team. They embarrassed Scott Frost in their bowl game to close out last season. But I think Riley has finally got this team in position to play with the top of the conference. I firmly believe Nebraska wins the West this year and will have the firepower to hang with the East champs when it's all said and done. And, if my feeling is correct, that caliber of a team isn't going to struggle with the Red Wolves. Maybe ASU keeps it respectable for the first half, but once the third quarter kicks in -- wood shed time.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

edsas wrote:NU 45
ASU 17

Yes, Arkansas State is a decent Sun Belt team. They embarrassed Scott Frost in their bowl game to close out last season. But I think Riley has finally got this team in position to play with the top of the conference. I firmly believe Nebraska wins the West this year and will have the firepower to hang with the East champs when it's all said and done. And, if my feeling is correct, that caliber of a team isn't going to struggle with the Red Wolves. Maybe ASU keeps it respectable for the first half, but once the third quarter kicks in -- wood shed time.
Well, I hope you're right because that would really boost my optimism for the team. But in the past few years, many of the "should win" games have been close or losses.

Since 2002, the average opener blowout score is 45-10, but in the last four years there was the loss to BYU and a 3-point game with Wyoming.

I still think this game will be closer than it should be, but I definitely hope the team surprises me.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I have no faith in Cavanaugh as the o line coach.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Smells a bit like 2007.
No posts exist for this topic
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

That was WAY too exciting, even for my prediction.

Both teams played well. The main reason why it was that close is because the ASU receivers we all wide open. Keep in mind, ASU had a golden opportunity at the end DESPITE their turnovers. Honestly I feel we as fans got lucky tonight and that kind of performance won't earn the team respect from anyone.

Again, I think the team looked good in general. The RB was good, the QB was accurate, The O Line wasn't bad. The defense looked more stout, but WHY were their receivers SO OPEN? That is a huge issue to address quickly because that won't go over well against Oregon
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Busguy2010 wrote: .... The defense looked more stout,....

What. :what:
No posts exist for this topic
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote: .... The defense looked more stout,....

What. :what:
Sorry, I'll clarify... In terms of things that happened in the box. There wasn't an egregious amount of missed tackles like we've seen in the past. The secondary sucked, and as soon as the oppositions receivers got deeper than the linebackers, it was all theirs for the taking.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

No disrespect to Arkansas St..they were playing with 5 new o-lineman from their Sun Belt conference championship team last year..

But NU, ESPECIALLY on the defensive side of the ball, needs a TON of work..

Tanner Lee looked good at QB, the WR's were making plays and our starting tailback (Bryant) rushed for well over 150 yards.. and still- a 43-36 victory which came down to the last play?..

I know Oregon is not the "Oregon" of a few years back, but I expect an NU loss in Eugene, Oregon next Saturday..

I hope I'm wrong..but my sensibilities tell me I'm not...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ironically too, as I had the Husker game on the TV I was, simultaneously, watching the Alabama-Florida St game on my iPad Pro..

On the 20th anniversary of the Husker's last national championship team, I watched 'Bama methodically squeeze the life out of FSU.. As I watched both games unfold, I couldn't help, as it relates to the current state of NU football, but think- how the mighty have fallen...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I was excited with the assistant changes Riley made. Defense is worse though. The "bend but don't break" philosophies are |expletive|. I figured the defense would have some busted plays. But soft coverage doesn't work, especially when you're not pressuring the quarterback.

Huskers have some awesome offensive weapons. But penalties, clock management, and mental mistakes held the team back again. Big losses are coming.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

43-36. That was a little too close for comfort. At least Nebraska won it.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Yep. Defense is worse than I was expecting. Offense is about what I thought it would be. JD Speilman -- WOW!

Arkansas State's offense might be a little better than I figured. I hope so. Diaco appeared to make some good half time adjustments. But that first half was just murder.

I think Nebraska still has a good shot of winning the West, but I'm going to back off my prediction that NU will go toe to toe with the best in the East. Penn State and Ohio State will pound this team as it is now. If Nebraska makes it to the Big 10 Championship, I think it will be against Michigan. Who will also pound this team.

As for next week, I hope NU can keep the Ducks under 50. It's going to be tough. I think Oregon wins 49-38.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re:

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:Yep. Defense is worse than I was expecting. As for next week, I hope NU can keep the Ducks under 50. It's going to be tough. I think Oregon wins 49-38.
I completely agree old friend..

Oregon, at home, has a better than 50% chance of hanging a half a hundred on the NU defense. If that happens (and NU doesn't win 51-50) Mike Reilly will officially be on the HOT seat...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

How many more times will Nebraska face a team that passes the ball 68 times in 2017? Their QB played about as well as Tom Brady in the SB. Is that a result of the Huskers' deficiencies or does that guy just know how to play his game?

One thing's for sure, this game turned out to be the optimal Oregon prep game. There is now no excuse to look unprepared for the throw only offense. Wild card is Oregon can run too. We'll see. PS if I sound like I know nothing about college football, I'm not surprised. I feel much more comfortable talking NFL. I'm still a Husker fan though.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: if I sound like I know nothing about college football, I'm not surprised. I feel much more comfortable talking NFL. I'm still a Husker fan though.
The Arkansas St QB also set a school record for passing yards. I'd say it's more about NU's defensive deficiencies than anything else. Untimely offensive penalties also killed at least 2 other scoring opportunities for the Huskers..

Anywho-

I grew up idolizing players like Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Randy White etc.. So you can probably guess I grew up and am a devoted Dallas Cowboys fan. I'm much more interested in the NFL than college football. But I am a NU alumn and grew up a Husker fan too..

You certainly know what you're talking about as it relates to the Huskers. You've always made sense to me...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

If Nebraska plays as sloppy as they did last night, they are gonna get DESTROYED by Wisconsin, Ohio State and probably even Iowa. All I can do is hope this season won't be a repeat of the 2015 one where Nebraska lost on the last play in 5 games.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

As of right now, I'm in the belief that the Huskers were sleepy and underestimated their opponent. That game last night sure better have woken them up because Oregon will throw more of the same at them and five times better.

I forgot to mention how much I disagreed with running play action on the very first offensive play. I understand everybody in the stadium would love to see the new QB throw a deep TD pass on his first throw as a Husker, but come on. Run the ball, don't be cute.

The main problem was how far off they were playing the receivers. Hopefully it's not because the personnel doesn't believe it's good enough to hang deep. Another problem was the fact that they didn't change when ASU put more receivers on the field. You can't expect a LB to compete with a WR. HOPEFULLY they realize this and are just playing around.

One last thing that had me confused was why was Riley hanging his head, hands on knees, looking defeated? He looked like he had no clue how that happened. "Oh brother, here we go again" he was thinking, and he had to have been sweating bullets on those last two plays. That is all but reassuring.

Coach, that situation was totally preventable by NOT snapping the ball with ten seconds on the play clock when up by two scores.

I really hope they were just caught off guard and get it together next week.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

As for Oregon next week...

Oregon won impressively against Southern Utah 77-21, but one thing to look at : They didn't score a passing TD and only attempted 27 passes. I think Nebraska's defense would fare better against the run than the pass, although they basically got zero practice against the run last night. Additionally, if Oregon is smart, they will adjust their plan to attack the Huskers the same way ASU did.

As of right now, the realist in me says the Huskers will lose next weekend, but not as badly as we think. I'm going to say Oregon 45, Nebraska 35
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Coach, that situation was totally preventable by NOT snapping the ball with ten seconds on the play clock when up by two scores.
There are a lot of things I like about Mike Riley (his personality being one of the top aspects). But his game management drives me absolutely bonkers. I can't understand how a man who was a player for Alabama in the 1970s, a coach in the NFL and CFL in the 1980s and 1990s and a Division 1 NCAA head coach for two decades is SOOOO bad at killing off an ostensibly inferior opponent in the final quarter.

I wish somebody would sit him down and show him every fourth quarter Nebraska played from about 1985 to 1995. Let him see the way Osborne was like a boa constrictor just squeezing the life out of opponent after opponent with killer game management. Charlie McBride always described it as putting the boot on the neck and just slowly pinching off the jugular.

If Riley can somehow make that ONE adjustment -- with his stellar recruiting and his excellent coaching philosophy -- he could win a lot of games at Nebraska.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote:As for Oregon next week...

Oregon won impressively against Southern Utah 77-21, but one thing to look at : They didn't score a passing TD and only attempted 27 passes. I think Nebraska's defense would fare better against the run than the pass, although they basically got zero practice against the run last night. Additionally, if Oregon is smart, they will adjust their plan to attack the Huskers the same way ASU did.

As of right now, the realist in me says the Huskers will lose next weekend, but not as badly as we think. I'm going to say Oregon 45, Nebraska 35
Arkansas State's level "C" caliber running backs were consistently finding holes in the Nebraska defense and gaining 5 or 6 yards before they were caught and stopped. When Oregon's "A" and "B" level running backs exploit those holes in the Nebraska defense they will not be caught so easy and instead of gaining 5 or 6 yards and getting caught they will breaking off 15-20 yard runs and taking it to the house.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A new coordinator and going to a 3-4 defense aren't simple changes. Hopefully things on the defensive side will get better quickly.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm not feeling very optimistic about this coming Saturday's game. :(
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:I'm not feeling very optimistic about this coming Saturday's game. :(
You are among the concerned majority in Nebraska :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Oregon is a state Riley is familiar with. After all, he used to coach up there. :;):

This game might feel like a homecoming for him in a way.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Concerns about air quality for Nebraska-Oregon and Minnesota-Oregon State...

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/minne ... ir-quality
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

That would be just dandy. It sounds pretty serious and looks like the unpopular, but smart decision would be to cancel. But how on earth would they make it up?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Busguy2010 wrote:That would be just dandy. It sounds pretty serious and looks like the unpopular, but smart decision would be to cancel. But how on earth would they make it up?
Could they use another stadium in the same general area? How about playing it in Lincoln? :)
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I got friends and relatives headed up to Oregon to see that game along with everyone else in Nebraska that needs a life and has a couple of dollars to blow! :lol: That was a joke mostly. :mrgreen: They ain't cancelling that game with tens of thousands of Nebraska Tourists on the way. Oregon is favored by 14 points in Vegas and I think they will cover. Reality will set in this week when Nebraska faces a real football team. This beat down could be the start of a road that ends with Riley retired and living back in Oregon by the start of the 2019 season while in Nebraska we more then likely will be watching an early FROST.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:That would be just dandy. It sounds pretty serious and looks like the unpopular, but smart decision would be to cancel. But how on earth would they make it up?
Could they use another stadium in the same general area? How about playing it in Lincoln? :)
It could get moved but the chances of it being in Lincoln are about 1% IMO
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hey, I wonder if Boise St. has a road game this Saturday?..

NU vs the Ducks on a blue football field would look interesting :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Miami has cancelled their trip to Arkansas. Now we will never know just how good ASU is.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

My prediction for this upcoming game is an Oregon Victory.. Here's to my hope the Ducks don't hang 50+ On the Husker defense..

Oregon-45
Nebraska-28..

Lord have mercy I hope I'm wrong..and NU somehow pulls out a gritty road win in Eugene...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
willyb934
New to the Neighborhood

Post by willyb934 »

I really do not understand why everyone thinks Oregon is this football juggernaut this year. This is a team that was bottom of the barrel last year in Pac-12 or however many team are in the conference now. This game should be decided by a touchdown or less in my opinion. If Nebraska gets out to a good start in the first quarter or so we are in good shape and if we can hold Oregon to under 150 yards rushing we will win. Major key in my opinion will be time of possession and clock management down the stretch in the 2nd quarter going into half and obviously at the end of the game. If we win the time of possession stat by 5 minutes I think we will win as well. We'll see though I guess. Oregon is way to overhyped though, they will be 4th or 5th in the conference at the end of the year no doubt.