Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Busguy2010 »

willyb934 wrote:they will be 4th or 5th in the conference at the end of the year no doubt.
You could easily say this about the Huskers too though.

I think the game will be a good one. They just need to get off to a good running start, control the pace of the game, and don't try anything cute. We should be able to win this game with keeping Tanner Lee under 25 pass attempts. However, this coaching staff scares me in the way they seem to try and match the style of the opposition. I could totally see the Huskers coming out passing in an attempt to set a tone, which I think is unwise.

Oregon 45-35

Or

Nebraska 42-38

Nebraska wins in a nail biter or loses respectably enough.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Diaco must be playing vanilla in order to not give Northern Illinois any film on the defense, or something.

Does Oregon hit 84?
No posts exist for this topic
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Diaco is a genius. His 3 man loitering front creates the perfect pocket for Oregon. And with more players in the secondary, big plays are all but eliminated. It was just fate that he was available last winter.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fun fact:

We have been misprouncing Diaco's name all year.
Fact is - he has no D.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Coyote wrote:Fun fact:

We have been misprouncing Diaco's name all year.
Fact is - he has no D.
That's gold Jerry!
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Huskers can never get offense and defense on the same page. Defense finally getting stops this half, but the offense has disappeared.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Did Oregon decide to take a nap?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:Did Oregon decide to take a nap?
This was simply a case of NU digging themselves too big of a hole.. But yet, they still almost crawled out of it..

If you're a Husker fan, you have hope. NU competed big time in the 2nd half when they could have completely folded..

This is a loss that the coaching staff can build on.. Let's hope Bryant's injury is a minor one...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
This was simply a case of NU digging themselves too big of a hole.. But yet, they still almost crawled out of it..

If you're a Husker fan, you have hope. NU competed big time in the 2nd half when they could have completely folded..

This is a loss that the coaching staff can build on.. Let's hope Bryant's injury is a minor one...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
If Lee didn't pull a Tommy Armstrong today, they probably would have won.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

They lost. Final score Nebraska 35-Oregon 42. Stagburn it! Well, I'm sure they'll be quacking all night long in Eugene.

I just hope the whole season isn't like this. Where it comes down to the wire. Frankly, I don't think my heart can take such punishment. I expect that against Northwestern and Wisconsin. But hopefully, the whole season won't be like this.

I know Ohio State's gonna absolutely destroy Nebraska.
Last edited by mrsticka on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

And speaking of Ohio State, they just lost to Oklahoma 31-16 at home. Incredible.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'll be honest, I stopped watching at halftime because 42-14 is a game score let alone a score at the half. And the way the defense was giving up big plays was disheartening. When I found out they came back that far while stopping Oregon for the entire half was impressive. Horrible start, but not a bad loss and it ended up how I expected it. I still have hope for when they host Wisconsin.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:And speaking of Ohio State, they just lost to Oklahoma 31-16 at home. Incredible.
They have looked vulnerable so far this year. They should still be highly ranked by the time we play them, provided they don't lose again. A highly ranked vulnerable team at home sounds enticing.

Even though the Huskers lost, they showed some fight and that gives me a little hope.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

From what I saw in the game, the frustrations were:

DB's not recognizing when the ball is thrown their way.

Dropping linebackers can't keep up with receivers

Passing to start off the game

Panicked play calling. Conservative play calling could have prevented up to all three of Oregon's touchdowns late in the 2nd quarter.

I want the coaching staff to realize that they can win games with time of possession, clock management, and field positioning. This realization would pay dividends when it comes time to face Wisconsin.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:And speaking of Ohio State, they just lost to Oklahoma 31-16 at home. Incredible.
How is that incredible? OU was the 5th ranked team in the country going into that game..

What would be incredible, is if NU pulls off the upset of Ohio St in Lincoln, NE on Oct 14th...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I don't that the final score with the Ducks on Saturday was a big shock to anyone. How they got there though was a total shocker.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
How is that incredible? OU was the 5th ranked team in the country going into that game..

What would be incredible, is if NU pulls off the upset of Ohio St in Lincoln, NE on Oct 14th...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Because Ohio State was ranked #2 going into that game.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I didn't think the Huskers could get back into the game. But I think it had more to do with Oregon going conservative than Nebraska playing better. It looks like this staff finally learned how to burn time though as Lee consistently ran the play clock down to two seconds. Too bad Nebraska needed to conserve time yesterday.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

twiztid1 wrote:I didn't think the Huskers could get back into the game. But I think it had more to do with Oregon going conservative than Nebraska playing better.
The point you make that the Ducks went more conservative in the 2nd half is a good one.. But I do feel the NU defense played better in the 2nd half. It's a young defense that has multiple holes that need to be shored up.. But as I stated last night, NU could have laid down and quit after halftime and they did the opposite, fought back, and were in a position to tie the game at the end.. All against a quality opponent on the road..

The 2nd half performance is an effort the NU coaching staff and team can build on...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

All I can say is let's not doom the rest of the season to failure just because of 2 bad games.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

As fans, we can all take a big breath as the next two games are very winnable. I won't be able to watch the next two, so I will just say that I expect them to be wins and I don't mind how they happen.

The next game I have my eye on is at Illinois since they've played us tough every year.

I still expect the Huskers to be 4-1 when Wisconsin comes to town and THAT will be the game that sets the tone for the rest of the season.

As of right now we're still in it, folks.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I still have doubts about Nebraska being in the Big Ten. Sure, they can beat Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State and Penn State. But for some dumb reason or another, Wisconsin and Ohio State seem to have Nebraska's number.

I realize I'm just beating a dead horse here. But I just don't see Nebraska ever regaining their former glory as long as they're in the Big Ten. They'll just be a doormat for Wisconsin and watch them play in the championship game every year.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote:I still have doubts about Nebraska being in the Big Ten. Sure, they can beat Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State and Penn State. But for some dumb reason or another, Wisconsin and Ohio State seem to have Nebraska's number.

I realize I'm just beating a dead horse here. But I just don't see Nebraska ever regaining their former glory as long as they're in the Big Ten. They'll just be a doormat for Wisconsin and watch them play in the championship game every year.
Football is a wash. We were going to be Texas' |expletive| in the big 12 and the cornhuskers are the bitches of the big 10. You have to remember that we weren't brought in to beat Wisconsin, we were brought in to expand the TV market and to bring in a revenue positive AD. The rest of the connection ot the Big 10 has been productive. Our other sports besides football are doing better or are neutral. Our academic affiliations are breathing new life into UNL and are benefiting UNMC.

Football is a dying sport. Even here at "Sellout Central", we can't sustain a live audience without rich donors snapping up tickets. We have a lot of competitors who can't even do that. Most of us in Nebraska like the huskers at some level, but have found lots of other things to do. The Huskers have to compete now with "Other things to do" and given the fan experience and cost, can't. It will be interesting to see how the next generation of people entering their 30's and prime wage years look at the games.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I still have doubts about Nebraska being in the Big Ten. Sure, they can beat Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State and Penn State. But for some dumb reason or another, Wisconsin and Ohio State seem to have Nebraska's number.

Football is a wash. We were going to be Texas' |expletive| in the big 12 and the cornhuskers are the bitches of the big 10. You have to remember that we weren't brought in to beat Wisconsin, we were brought in to expand the TV market and to bring in a revenue positive AD. The rest of the connection ot the Big 10 has been productive. Our other sports besides football are doing better or are neutral. Our academic affiliations are breathing new life into UNL and are benefiting UNMC.

Football is a dying sport. Even here at "Sellout Central", we can't sustain a live audience without rich donors snapping up tickets. We have a lot of competitors who can't even do that. Most of us in Nebraska like the huskers at some level, but have found lots of other things to do. The Huskers have to compete now with "Other things to do" and given the fan experience and cost, can't. It will be interesting to see how the next generation of people entering their 30's and prime wage years look at the games.

Not baseball. Not that it matters or is on a lot of peoples radar. It should be though with the CWS in Omaha
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Back to the upcoming game..

It looks like NU is currently favored by 14 1/2 over Northern Illinois (the line stared at 13)..

Do the Huskers cover this week?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:

Not baseball. Not that it matters or is on a lot of peoples radar. It should be though with the CWS in Omaha
Baseball, like basketball have their own team level issues. I don't think either would be better off having to play in Texas via the Big12.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Back to the upcoming game..

It looks like NU is currently favored by 14 1/2 over Northern Illinois (the line stared at 13)..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Betting on the Husker game is almost always a bad idea. Like Notre Dame, there are simply a lot of people who bet emotionally on big red. Bookies have to balance their books to make sure they walk away with the vig after moving all the money on one side of the bet to the other. They set the betting line so high that it is improbable to cover. Nebraska wins by 7, and betters still lose. Nebraska wins by 12 and they still lose. I don't think they cover because bookies are better at this game than I am, and they know where to draw the line so they don't lose money, either by making the line crazy and thus missing out on the vig from your bet, or making it too realistic where the huskers might actually cover and thus they have to pay out too much.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Baseball, like basketball have their own team level issues. I don't think either would be better off having to play in Texas via the Big12.
On some levels I agree but with baseball specifically there is an advantage to recruit to the Big 12 vs the Big 10. That can't be ignored.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Betting on the Husker game is almost always a bad idea. Like Notre Dame, there are simply a lot of people who bet emotionally on big red. Bookies have to balance their books to make sure they walk away with the vig after moving all the money on one side of the bet to the other. They set the betting line so high that it is improbable to cover. Nebraska wins by 7, and betters still lose. Nebraska wins by 12 and they still lose. I don't think they cover because bookies are better at this game than I am, and they know where to draw the line so they don't lose money, either by making the line crazy and thus missing out on the vig from your bet, or making it too realistic where the huskers might actually cover and thus they have to pay out too much.

They covered on the road last Sat at Oregon.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I'm going to say no!........One of these fake teams might even beat the Huskers straight up this year! It says in the paper today that coach Riley's contract has been extended a year to 2020 and they may extend it another year soon. :shock: So history looks to play itself out again as we will see the Athletic Director fired in a couple of years and then they will hire Frost. Not that Frost is any lock to save the shipwrecked Husker Legend but they know that Frost will be a hit with the Husker Faithful and the hire will buy them a couple more years........

....... And enough already with the fools nonsense about how well the Huskers did in the second half against Oregon. Oregon's coach was a good sport and took their foot off the Huskers throat after half time. Now he knows why you don't show them no mercy at least until the 4th quarter.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow! 2020 and 2021 Nebraska ends the season with the golden rodents not Iowa.
I don't know what to think of that. If any team other than Iowa it should be the Badgers...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Wow! 2020 and 2021 Nebraska ends the season with the golden rodents not Iowa.
I don't know what to think of that. If any team other than Iowa it should be the Badgers...
Sounds like after the run with Iowa ends it will be a two year rotation with Minn, Wis, and Iowa for the foreseeable future. Also looks like the Black Friday time slot will end. At least that is what I gathered from the talking heads on the radio.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agree. I felt strangely happy in the immediate aftermath of this one -- to see Nebraska avoid an absolute blowout (after being down 28 points) and, at two minutes left in the game, to have had a legitimate shot at sending the contest into overtime. Stunning.

Now that it's been a half a week to digest what exactly we saw, I've come back to thinking this team is capable of pulling off a really good season. The defense is only going to get better. While much was said about Oregon's conservative second-half approach playing into Nebraska's comeback (I agree that was part of it) I read a really excellent analysis on Huskermax as to why Diaco's adjustments were as much to credit for the difference as was Taggert's taking his foot off the gas. Players made small changes that yielded stunning results. If anyone doubts that, ask yourself how many points is a "conservative" Duck offense is really worth over two quarters? 14 points? 21? I would say at least 14, but probably closer to 21. And yet, these same players who got burned for 6 scores in two quarters, skunked that very same offense over the next two quarters. At halftime I was hoping Nebraska could somehow magically keep Oregon from breaking the 60-point barrier. It just looks nasty on game tickers. Also gaudy blow-outs like that can't help with recruiting. Never could I have imagined that Oregon's 42 halftime points would read the same at the final gun. Thank goodness for small miracles.

The offensive woes we saw (4 turnovers and a handful of bad decisions by offensive players) seem entirely correctable over the next one or two games. (Just in time for Wisconsin.) And, the defense is learning. They'll get much better by midseason. I stand by my preseason prediction that Nebraska will win the Big 10 West. I just think things are lining up in that direction.

As for the East -- well, we all saw that the Buckeyes are no world-beaters so far this year. Like I said, 2017 could still shape up to be a special season. And with several potential high-end recruits still trying to make up their minds -- an excellent season now could set up a nice run in the future.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

edsas wrote:The offensive woes we saw (4 turnovers and a handful of bad decisions by offensive players) seem entirely correctable over the next one or two games. (Just in time for Wisconsin.)
Whats wrong with Tanner Lee can't be fixed in a couple of games. Tanner had a very bad day. After the Oregon game all that talk about Tanner getting drafted by the pros next spring looked like the pipe dream it was. It was a reality check. Tanner might be ready to play on Sundays in a couple of years but he sure aint ready now. Tanner was missing reads and open players right and left. Tanner was the engineer in chief of the whole Oregon debacle. Does that mean I miss Tommy Armstrong? No way! Tanner is 10 times the quarterback Tommy was.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agree. I felt strangely happy in the immediate aftermath of this one -- to see Nebraska avoid an absolute blowout (after being down 28 points) and, at two minutes left in the game, to have had a legitimate shot at sending the contest into overtime. Stunning.

Now that it's been a half a week to digest what exactly we saw, I've come back to thinking this team is capable of pulling off a really good season. The defense is only going to get better. While much was said about Oregon's conservative second-half approach playing into Nebraska's comeback (I agree that was part of it) I read a really excellent analysis on Huskermax as to why Diaco's adjustments were as much to credit for the difference as was Taggert's taking his foot off the gas. Players made small changes that yielded stunning results. If anyone doubts that, ask yourself how many points is a "conservative" Duck offense is really worth over two quarters? 14 points? 21? I would say at least 14, but probably closer to 21. And yet, these same players who got burned for 6 scores in two quarters, skunked that very same offense over the next two quarters. At halftime I was hoping Nebraska could somehow magically keep Oregon from breaking the 60-point barrier. It just looks nasty on game tickers. Also gaudy blow-outs like that can't help with recruiting. Never could I have imagined that Oregon's 42 halftime points would read the same at the final gun. Thank goodness for small miracles.
Agreed..

As to the state of the NU on the field performance for this upcoming week.. I have no delusions of grandeur as it relates to Husker football. I predicted Oregon would defeat NU 45-28 last week..

I don't see NU covering the 14 and 1/2 point spread for this upcoming game. I see a 31-21 NU victory over Northern Illinois this Saturday. Small, Incremental improvements week by week...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
edsas wrote:The offensive woes we saw (4 turnovers and a handful of bad decisions by offensive players) seem entirely correctable over the next one or two games. (Just in time for Wisconsin.)
Whats wrong with Tanner Lee can't be fixed in a couple of games. Tanner had a very bad day. After the Oregon game all that talk about Tanner getting drafted by the pros next spring looked like the pipe dream it was. It was a reality check. Tanner might be ready to play on Sundays in a couple of years but he sure aint ready now. Tanner was missing reads and open players right and left. Tanner was the engineer in chief of the whole Oregon debacle. Does that mean I miss Tommy Armstrong? No way! Tanner is 10 times the quarterback Tommy was.
I felt like the play calling put too much pressure on him though. Calling a pass on the very first play was a mistake like I predicted. This team is still passing way too much in my opinion. They need to calm down and stop trying to play up to the spread offense when that's not what they have.

On Tanner, though, I looked at his stats at Tulane before the season and he was hovering around 50% completion and 2:1 TD-INT ratio. That's not good. So far his career at Nebraska has been the same story. He definitely looks good but has yet to back it up.

Having said that, I really think the play calling can help the kid, and the entire team out.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Strangely, I don't think Tanner is going to the NFL early, despite what all the annoying Husker fans I am forced to be around told me.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Before too much longer schools will probably start offering Nebraska a million dollars per game to be their tune-up team.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So......

Who's Nebraska's next vict... I mean coach?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Tanner was the engineer in chief of the N Illinois debacle as well............................maybe he is just as bad as Tommy was! :what: