Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Busguy2010 »

MadMartin8 wrote:So......

Who's Nebraska's next vict... I mean coach?
I've really questioned the play calling on offense. I didn't see the game today, but I see they lost and Tanner threw more picks.

What's the analysis today?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, that stunk. I think I can safely say this loss puts Riley in the hot seat now. As expected, the fair weather fans on Facebook are out in full force demanding his firing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stolen from Chris Redfiled...
NUFB.jpg
NUFB.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

At least everybody now knows Nebraska's coaching staff is not good. A comeback win would've covered up issues and given some people false hope. It really feels like 2007 all over again. Maybe today's boo birds were really the canary singing.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

mrsticka wrote:Well, that stunk. I think I can safely say this loss puts Riley in the hot seat now. As expected, the fair weather fans on Facebook are out in full force demanding his firing.

Sorry, but what exactly would your threshold be for getting rid of a coach of a once storied and respected program, besides continual losses like this? Just curious.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Well, that stunk. I think I can safely say this loss puts Riley in the hot seat now. As expected, the fair weather fans on Facebook are out in full force demanding his firing.

Sorry, but what exactly would your threshold be for getting rid of a coach of a once storied and respected program, besides continual losses like this? Just curious.
This is Reilly's 3rd year. He is now "officially" on the Husker hot seat. I think he needs 5 full seasons. But if the team continues to disturb the fan base with home performances like this, against a non Big 10 opponent from a non power conference, he's gone after next season (his 4th)..

Now about the game- The Husker offense completely sh!t the bed. Their O-Line is a mess.. The NU defense played well enough to win this game. The defense has now played 6 consecutive quarters of solid football..

For all the criticism he took during his years playing QB for the Big Red, had Tommy Armstrong played QB, NU would have won today..

Welcome to Nebraska Mike Reilly :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think so too. The whole staff has been on my hot seat this year. Last year wasn't terrible, but this year with the defense looking so bad and the offensive play calling being so questionable calls for a look at the coaching staff
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Busguy2010 wrote:I've really questioned the play calling on offense. I didn't see the game today, but I see they lost and Tanner threw more picks. What's the analysis today?
2 Pick 6's. One being a brilliant jump. Horrible offensive line. Dropped passes. Horrible offensive line. One critically blown pass play late and then there was that offensive line. The defense played well. Oh and they poor return game and too many penalties, and that no call pass interference call in the end zone that led to a blocked FG...
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

MadMartin8 wrote:

If you're sure a coach isn't the right fit, then he should be removed asap. Nothing good comes from delaying. Riley absolutely needed at least a second season. The program was toxic. But the Huskers are worse in year 3 than the day Riley stepped on campus. Depth hasn't improved much. Recruiting is average. They have never looked like a well coached team. So I'm fine with a coaching change.

The problem Nebraska now has is whether or not you want Eichorst having any say in hiring a new coach. He practically drove Pelini into a nervous breakdown by ignoring him. Yet he's been visible for Riley. Eichorst then kept Pelini around an extra year when it was clear a change was needed. Then he went rogue and hired Riley, who a lot of people had never heard of. I definitely don't want Shawn hiring another coach. But that requires an AD change, and I think Nebraska is still paying Pelini through next year.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Didn't they just extend his contract too? :oops:
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I shudder to think what Wisconsin and Ohio State will be like.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

It's kind of funny how Eichorst had a policy not to speak during the season when Pelini was here, but it's not his policy now that his guy is in charge.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

twiztid1 wrote:

It's kind of funny how Eichorst had a policy not to speak during the season when Pelini was here, but it's not his policy now that his guy is in charge.

Wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he is on the way out, too. Feeling the heat there.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Losses like this one require fan action. Like not coming to the next game. Lots of empty seats are a true sign of a fan base that just isn't going to let it slide anymore.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he is on the way out, too. Feeling the heat there.
Eichorst is a hypocrite anyway.. So his weasel like tendencies don't surprise me in the least..

And no question in my mind Eichorst feels the Husker nation heat as well..

Coming off the Oregon game, this was a bad BAD loss...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I don't think Mike Riley is going to right this ship. But the coaching carousel hasn't worked for Nebraska, either.

What if instead of firing Riley, we don't extend his contract (any more than it already has been), but make one addition to the contract. A $1 million bonus for every Top 10 recruiting class Riley's staff brings in. They've showed that they're not bad recruiters, give them a monetary incentive to really stock the roster. And then, when Riley's contract runs out, let him ride off into the sunset and bring in a lights-out-coach (whomever the hot guy in 2021 will be -- maybe Scott Frost?) who will have 4 years worth of great recruits to go out and win some ball games with. Just a thought.

Nebraska is just one good coach away from being back in the thick of competition. If Chris Petersen could do it at Boise State, if Urban Meyer could do it at Utah, if Mike Gundy can do it Oklahoma State -- surely SOMEBODY can do it at Nebraska.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:

Eichorst is a hypocrite anyway.. So his weasel like tendencies don't surprise me in the least..

And no question in my mind Eichorst feels the Husker nation heat as well..

Coming off the Oregon game, this was a bad BAD loss...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Any time you lose to a MAC team at home, that I believe had a losing record last year, it's a very bad loss.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Time for the regents to get a working group together and analyze just how much athletic involvement the NU system can afford. UNO's money sport, hockey treats STHs like |expletive| and are losing them. UNL has been funding stuff with football money that will dry up now that they suck. UNK can't sustain their programs. Better to start planning cuts and reorganizations now.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

edsas wrote:I don't think Mike Riley is going to right this ship. But the coaching carousel hasn't worked for Nebraska, either.

What if instead of firing Riley, we don't extend his contract (any more than it already has been), but make one addition to the contract. A $1 million bonus for every Top 10 recruiting class Riley's staff brings in. They've showed that they're not bad recruiters, give them a monetary incentive to really stock the roster. And then, when Riley's contract runs out, let him ride off into the sunset and bring in a lights-out-coach (whomever the hot guy in 2021 will be -- maybe Scott Frost?) who will have 4 years worth of great recruits to go out and win some ball games with. Just a thought.

Nebraska is just one good coach away from being back in the thick of competition. If Chris Petersen could do it at Boise State, if Urban Meyer could do it at Utah, if Mike Gundy can do it Oklahoma State -- surely SOMEBODY can do it at Nebraska.
Nebraska is getting to be a tough place to coach real fast. The word is no doubt getting around in coaching circles You can almost hear the gossip and whispers saying......."Don't go to Nebraska." " Nebraska's reputation has been ran into the dirt and recruiting top talent there has become next to impossible." "Coaching at Nebraska could be a career killer and bad for your reputation." "Don't go coach at Nebraska!" .......Might be kind of tough to get a well known name brand coach to come here. Theres where Scotty Frost comes in to the picture. Whoever brings Scott Frost in will be an instant hero and the fans will eat it up. The only question left now is will Scott Frost be Nebraska's new head coach starting next year or in 2019.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sheesh, don't jump the shark too quick.
3 plays...
NIU doesn't jump the bubble screen for a pick 6 and NU throws a TD... 7-0
NU offensive line protects Lee and he doesn't throw another pick 6... 7-0
Officials call the pass interference in the endzone, ball on the 2, NU goes into half up 14-0.
Second half plays out as played... NU wins 31-7.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Coyote wrote:Sheesh, don't jump the shark too quick.
3 plays...
Officials call the pass interference in the endzone, ball on the 2, NU goes into half up 14-0.
Except, it's NIU. I can sometimes get behind moral victories. But given that Nebraska is just 10 yards or so from being 0-3 this season, this game is not one of them. It's a pattern with this staff. With several beat downs at the end of last season and two losses so early this year, Riley and Eichorst are in trouble.

My problem with the first pick 6 is Riley said in his post game presser that it was an RPO. That makes very little sense. With such a short field, it's fairly easy to defend both options.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I was super excited to see the new team this year... But now, If it's any testament to my optimism with the team right now, I would not be surprised if Rutgers comes to town and narrowly defeats the Huskers. I don't get to watch the next game, but I feel it's for the best. I think someone mentioned earlier, "there are better things to do". In years past I have made every effort to watch every game, but so far this year I have not been disappointed by missing some games.

Granted, I will be watching Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State in case of an upset. But beyond that I'm not feeling too motivated to use my time on the Huskers. Hope it changes.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

All hype and no substance. That's what Tanner Lee is. That's all I'm going to say.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

twiztid1 wrote:My problem with the first pick 6 is Riley said in his post game presser that it was an RPO. That makes very little sense. With such a short field, it's fairly easy to defend both options.
I just saw that play for the first time and I have to credit the NIU defensive back. He was lined up on Morgan Jr. and he knew what play the Huskers were running. He was almost ten yards off and absolutely blew off Morgan Jr. and attacked the throw because he knew where it was going and made the play.

Nebraska did a lot to give that play away.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Sheesh, don't jump the shark too quick.
3 plays...

If you want to go that route then remember we are one play away from being 0-3.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, it’s now mid week and the NU Big 10 opener looms on the horizon at 2:30pm Saturday in Lincoln vs Rutgers..

Wednesday is usually my game prediction day and honestly, I have no clue how this game will go..

So because I’m an Husker fan,and want to see a win, I’ll predict they’ll eak out a close one at home..

NU- 20 Rutgers- 14..

Your game score predictions?...

Ciao..LiO..Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, it’s now mid week and the NU Big 10 opener looms on the horizon at 2:30pm Saturday in Lincoln vs Rutgers..

Wednesday is usually my game prediction day and honestly, I have no clue how this game will go..

So because I’m an Husker fan,and want to see a win, I’ll predict they’ll eak out a close one at home..

NU- 20 Rutgers- 14..

Your game score predictions?...

Ciao..LiO..Peace
Because I have no real clue, I'm going to go with my initial knee-jerk prediction and say Rutgers 27-24.

Number one reason is NOBODY is afraid of Nebraska right now, except for the buskers themselves. They don't appear to have control of when or why they aim the gun at their own foot. The Huskers don't look unbeatable to anyone.

The east is generally stronger than the west.

Rutgers just came off a huge confidence boosting win...

I feel it will go down as another sickening loss for Husker fans. However, I do think it could go either way and end up something like your prediction, Cowboy. I hope you are right.

On another note, since they're already out of the national race, this game is essentially meaningless and everyone will hold their jobs for at least one more week. The highest achievable goal left is to win the Big 10. Lofty, but still possible. That race starts next week in Champaign and that game shall determine the narrative of the season going forward. To give hope or stop watching...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

When Nebraska lost to Purdue 2 years ago, I thought there was no way they could take on Michigan State. I thought they had no chance of winning. Boy, was I wrong.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:When Nebraska lost to Purdue 2 years ago, I thought there was no way they could take on Michigan State. I thought they had no chance of winning. Boy, was I wrong.
That was a pretty special year in the mix of recent history. I look back at each one of those games and think how easily they could have gone the other way. The Huskers could have easily been 8-0 before losing to Purdue. And then bouncing back against Michigan State and being ranked in the top 5 would have given them a little more motivation to beat #4 Iowa for the West title. Then going to Indianapolis to play Michigan State again could have ended up a win and a playoff berth. Then they would have been clobbered in the semi-final by Alabama, but hey, got to see how they really stack up. Of course none of that happened, but it could have easily happened, giving all fans a lot of hope at the end of that season. Plus looking that good for the first time in 15 years could have really helped our image.

But, I'm typing this in 2017 and the gap between the end of 2015 optimism and the start of 2017 so far is... Well, I don't have words for it, but we all know.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:When Nebraska lost to Purdue 2 years ago, I thought there was no way they could take on Michigan State. I thought they had no chance of winning. Boy, was I wrong.
But, I'm typing this in 2017 and the gap between the end of 2015 optimism and the start of 2017 so far is... Well, I don't have words for it, but we all know.
I sensed this lack of optimism/enthusiasm before this season even started as we discussed, seemingly, the lack of interest in talking NU football in this forum just a week or 2 before the opener..

Once apathy starts to penetrate a fan base, it can do so much damage and it’s hard to regain/rekindle interest. I believe this is what’s happening within the Husker Nation.. And if more bad losses, especially at home, continue..the next coveted NU football record to fall will be the consecutive home sellout streak...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Eichorst Fired!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Eichorst Fired!
Just happened. Wowzers.. Actually, I’m glad they finally got rid of that Weasel..

If I was Mike Reilly, I’d watch my back!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trev Alberts for the next AD?
Riley fired after the season?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'd die laughing if they hired Trev to be the AD at UNL.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Trev Alberts for the next AD?
Riley fired after the season?
I think Alberts will be the “rumored” odds on favorite. I know one thing for sure, it won’t be Tom Osborne walking through that AD door this go around..

I think it’s possible Reilly gets fired at the end of this season.. But if NU moves ahead, knows who they want to hire as AD and hire him now.. I wouldn’t be opposed to firing Reilly now, during the season, so the program gets a head start in turning the page...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I suppose its too close to the start of the season for the new AD to fire coach Miles so we will have to wade through another horrible basketball season before he gets his long over due walking papers. By now even the cat knows that we are due for a big FROST :lol:
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

We all knew that was coming, but I personally thought they'd give him a division game or two. Whomever made that decisionreally wants the ball rolling now. I approve of his earlier than expected termination.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'd die laughing if they hired Trev to be the AD at UNL.
As a disgruntled former Mav fan, this would do wonders for UNO. Get him out and get someone else in to the AD that could run a proper ticket office and understood the value of Season Ticket Holders as well as sympathetic free media (Mavpuck :roll: ).
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I say get rid of Riley at the same, and let Diaco coach out the season. They clearly decided football needs to change. Don't even give Riley a chance to make a coaching change a controversial decision.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I'd die laughing if they hired Trev to be the AD at UNL.
As a disgruntled former Mav fan, this would do wonders for UNO. Get him out and get someone else in to the AD that could run a proper ticket office and understood the value of Season Ticket Holders as well as sympathetic free media (Mavpuck :roll: ).

Haha, 'former' Mav fan?