Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, it’s mid week leading up to an NU Saturday evening game on the road at Purdue.. I guess it’s time for my game prediction..

This is a swing game to me..Meaning if NU can pull off the road victory, there is a solid chance they can end the season becoming bowl eligible with 6 wins.. But if they lose, there is an equally solid chance of a 4-8 debacle which will guarantee, 100%, the end of Mike Reilly as NU head coach (although I get the sense regardless of how NU finishes, he’ll likely be out anyway)..

NU pulls out a nail biter over Purdue: 24-21...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, it’s mid week leading up to an NU Saturday evening game on the road at Purdue.. I guess it’s time for my game prediction..

NU pulls out a nail biter over Purdue: 24-21...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
NU pulls out the predicted nail biter 25-24. Huge comeback win for the Huskers...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

That was too close for comfort. If Nebraska had played like they way they did in the 4th quarter the whole game, it wouldn't have been such a nail biter. They'd have put the game away at the half.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Well alright! I was able to check in on espn.com periodically and from that point of view, it didn't look too good.

This win makes me a little more confident they can win the remaining games outside of Penn State. Mike Riley is still out regardless of the remaining games, so the rest of the year is merely a matter of morale. Go get seven or eight wins, let Mike leave and hire the new coach on a positive note. I'm looking forward the the rest of the games and a little bummed I cant sit down and watch any of them.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:Well alright! I was able to check in on espn.com periodically and from that point of view, it didn't look too good.

This win makes me a little more confident they can win the remaining games outside of Penn State. Mike Riley is still out regardless of the remaining games, so the rest of the year is merely a matter of morale. Go get seven or eight wins. I'm looking forward the the rest of the games and a little bummed I cant sit down and watch any of them.
That was the reason I called this a “swing game” for NU. Win it and you have confidence you can hang in and win at least 6 to become bowl eligible. Lose it and I seriously doubt NU would win more than 1 game the rest of the season..

Thankfully, NU eek’ed out a win in a nail biter.. And I’m sorry you are not able to sit down and watch any of the games live.. But you can always DVR ‘em :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Well, I might be glad I can't watch this one because I think it'll be a heart-stopper. History says this game will be very, very close. It should be a fantastic game, but I think the Huskers will lose by a single point. Poor clock management will allow Northwestern a final drive for a TD and a score of 28-27.

It could easily go the other way, though, and I hope it does!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

We all remember how the 2013 game ended, right?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:We all remember how the 2013 game ended, right?
Very cool because those in my group were ready to see Martinez go and we went to high school with Ron Kellogg. Honestly that's one of the most memorable moments for Nebraska football this century. Super happy to see a Nebraska guy, Omaha guy, Westside guy go down in Nebraska football history.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

My quick game prediction-

NU- 27 Northwestern- 23...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:My quick game prediction-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Close, but you didn't account for Tanner Lee being Tanner Lee, and Mike Riley being Mike Riley.

:mrgreen:
No posts exist for this topic
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Tanner Lee's so called promising future in Professional Football is over. Tanner Lee will no more ever play a down in pro ball then Tommy Armstrong or Tony Martinez did. All 3 of these quarterbacks are a huge reason for Nebraska's demise. Scott Frost needs to find a replacement for Tanner Lee or hes going to loose a lot of games too.

More good news for Nebraska's national public image. How about recently fired Athletic Director Shaun Eichort's 18 yr old son getting arrested in Lincoln this week for pulling what sounds like a "Kevin Spacey" on a 12 year old?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Close, but you didn't account for Tanner Lee being Tanner Lee, and Mike Riley being Mike Riley.

LOL. I’m sure you’re happy with the loss Martin.. As pathetic as it was and as equally pathetic as Lee and Riley were..

Can’t disagree with anything you stated in your short sylilliqy..and I don’t really see NU winning another game this season (maybe 1 more).. So 4-8 or 5-7 is what the fan base ends up with for 2017. Oh and a coach that will be fired before the end of the month. Fun times to be a fan of NU football indeed. Laugh it up and enjoy :lol: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And in reality, the real reason NU lost this game continues to be the same reason they’ve lost 5 games so far this season- Awful offensive line play including the inability for NU to effectively run the football.. Making the Husker offense one dimensional, and forcing Tanner Lee to try to win the game using his arm- and that recipe yielded the familiar multiple interception day.. And on the other side, the NU defense’s inability to consistently stop the run reared it’s ugly head again. See Northwestern running the ball every play for their OT touchdown..

Until NU gets better up front, on both sides of the ball, these type of performances will continue. It’s football 101...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I listened to it on the radio. The post game press conference was pretty sparse. Nobody really wants to ask questions anymore.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Stagburn it!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GBR!
► Show Spoiler
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Not much of a spoiler. Meanwhile, Iowa pulled off a massive upset over Ohio State 55-24. Yes, the same Ohio State that racked 56 points on Nebraska a couple weeks ago. Iowa came to play today. They didn't make excuses. They got the job done.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I heard they had the game in the bag late in the 4th while tied and failed to get into field goal range due to questionable play calling. I also heard they would have had a comfortable lead with an easy field goal had they not thrown an interception due to questionable play calling.

I am so glad this shot in the dark campaign is coming to an end.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

LOL. I’m sure you’re happy with the loss Martin.. As pathetic as it was and as equally pathetic as Lee and Riley were..

Can’t disagree with anything you stated in your short sylilliqy..and I don’t really see NU winning another game this season (maybe 1 more).. So 4-8 or 5-7 is what the fan base ends up with for 2017. Oh and a coach that will be fired before the end of the month. Fun times to be a fan of NU football indeed. Laugh it up and enjoy :lol: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Come now, you couldn't have expected anything different by now? I mean seriously, it's humorous to me in the fact that this QB was so heralded before the season from the local pundits and fans as "He's going to leave early for the NFL!!!!", yet, I don't think I've seen a worse Nebraska QB. Heck, even Joe Dailey could run. Add that to the supposed "improving" defensive line under Parella, which....has somehow regressed from the already terrible play, it's just a combo that is fascinating to watch from 30,000 feet, I can't help but laugh from how pathetic it is.

At this point, how can you even be grumpy at these losses? You're one step away from finally getting rid of the worst experiment in Husker football history, you should be almost relived.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Anyone notice they seem to respond when they get behind, and then go back in cruise control if they get a lead. I don't think Tanner Lee is the problem, and I don't think he's the worst QB we've had (though he does tend to force throws into coverage/miss check downs, but not nearly as bad as Tommy)... I think the bigger problem is the line play on both sides of the ball (as much as I like Parrella, there's certainly no shortage of talented players who became poor coaches). Well, and Diaco would seem to be the worst $1.7 million spent ever.

Does anyone really think Frost will be the solution? does anyone really think we're guaranteed to get him? (I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Gainesville... I mean, their local walk-on's are arguably as good as our scholarship players).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
At this point, how can you even be grumpy at these losses? You're one step away from finally getting rid of the worst experiment in Husker football history, you should be almost relived.
I don’t think grumpy is the right emotion. Sad is the better description..

Is the talent gap that wide between Iowa and Nebraska that NU gets blown out against Ohio St 56-14, yet Iowa defeats OSU 55-24.. And both Iowa and Nebraska lose to Northwestern in overtime? Funny game this college football is today..

And I can’t even place major blame on Tanner Lee.. Does he make some boneheaded plays when he drops back to pass? Sure he does.. But it would also help a young QB if he had an offensive line that could pass protect and run block consistently..and I haven’t even mentioned coaching..

As I said in my last post in the thread, until NU gets better up front, on both sides of the ball, The Huskers will continue to lose games like this..

I don’t know if Scott Frost is the answer. H e l l, there is no guarantee he’ll even be hired as NU’s next head coach. All I know for certain is, Mike Riley will be out before the end of the month..And Husker football irrelevancy continues...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

While at the game yesterday (my father is a fan, so we go together for one game, or so, a year), I noticed a few things about the offensive line.

I don't exactly know why folks say Tanner isn't given enough time, maybe I just haven't seen enough of the games? How many times has he been sacked compared to other prior QBs? While he isn't going to get 5 minutes back there to pick apart the defense, and the line isn't superb by ANY stretch of the imagination, it's not exactly terrible at pass blocking. There were two or three times that I thought he truly was under a great deal of pressure, but the other times he had a man open or several, and just could not see them. A lot of the mistakes he made, he just did not see the 3 defenders he was throwing the ball into without any Nebraska players in the vicinity, or tried to force something horrible. Armstrong had the same problem, but at least he could run. Taylor Martinez was the same. Jamal Lord, the same as well. Something about the way these QBs are coached to truly 'view the field' is amiss, but Tanner was supposed to be a break to the mold...he hasn't been.

Run blocking, however, the offensive line is truly troubled. They are so unorganized with their blocking schemes that they can't create holes.. I saw times where there was "push" (a broken clock....), but the linemen were blocking so erratically that the linebackers were able to just gum up any small holes that did appear. Perhaps it's lack of communication? Can't help but wonder what goes on in these practices that the OLine coach teaches.

As for Frost, he's probably the best Nebraska could hope for at this point.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I don't think Scott Frost will come here, he's having too much fun right now. I mean honestly, I probably wouldn't walk through this mess. In order to bring someone in who already has a good thing going, I feel you'd have to pay em at least 5 million.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

At this point, Riley's only redeeming quality is he's a nice guy.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Coach Riley has been moved up to #3 on the website http://coacheshotseat.com/

The bad news is they say.....
" Scott Frost will or already has gotten around a $6M a year + 5 years offer from Nebraska which if Frost turns down will lead the folks in Lincoln to offering their head coaching job to current Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl who played and coached for Tom Osborne at Nebraska and is a Helluva Football Coach winning THREE straight FCS National Titles at North Dakota State. If we had to guess today it would be that Scott Frost takes the Florida head coaching job and Craig Bohl is hired at Nebraska and both schools will have made a Helluva upgrade on the football coaching front!"
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote:I don't think Scott Frost will come here, he's having too much fun right now. I mean honestly, I probably wouldn't walk through this mess. In order to bring someone in who already has a good thing going, I feel you'd have to pay em at least 5 million.
Frost will go somewhere. Mostly likely Florida (better job but bigger mess-they just got rid of a coach who won his division his first two years at Florida) or Nebraska. His team is undefeated and still in the teens. You just can't compete for championships at UCF.

The good thing is Nebraska has never had more money. Between getting the full revenue from the Big 10 this year, the new Big 10 TV deal (richest in college sports), and the huge new deal with Addidas, Nebraska has never had anywhere near this much money. $5 million is a drop in the bucket for NU.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I remember when Craig Bohl was Defensive Coordinator at NU under Frank Solich during the 2002 season and fans wanted him ran out of town.. And he was as Frank replaced him in 2003 with Bo Pelini..

My how things have changed as Bohl has went on to have much success first as Head Coach at NDSU and now Wyoming. It would be very interesting to see Bohl as the Bill Moos hire who replaces Mike Reilly..

Who knows though..maybe NU will pull off the great Scott Frost escape from Florida..

Things will get very interesting in about 3 or so weeks...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

It looks like Minnesota is going with Ohio State's no-punt strategy today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It's that darn Rugby tackling.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I got a quick peek of the game just now. Having missed the last few games, I didn't realize the extent of how bad this team actually is. But this apparently is the reality. I can't wait to see a change.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Holy |expletive|.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GBR--- Good Bye Riley
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote:GBR--- Good Bye Riley
:lol: Perfect
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Good thing Minnesota is among the worst offenses in college football. Diaco must be quite a salesman to keep getting coaching jobs.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Getting creamed by Minnesota... Who saw that coming? Yeah, this thing is way past done.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The only “drama” left is exactly when Bill Moos will pull the trigger on Riley/Diaco and Co..

They could get the hook as early as tonight. But I think Moos will wait until after the Iowa loss and pull the trigger on Black Friday..

Another horrible display of football by NU. As the TV color commentator said- this looks like a defeated team..

Ya think?!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

They look so uninspired, had no passion, no confidence. Blecchhh!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Riley won't be fired tonight. Moos has said he doesn't do or believe in in-season coaching changes. It'll be after the Iowa game. It's inevitable now, especially after today's and last week's games. The only shocking thing would be Moos not firing Riley.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Going into today, I thought firing this late in the season would be useless. Let Riley deal with his mess and move on after Iowa. But after seeing Fleck have more energy than the entire Nebraska team, I think an immediate change is worth the risk. Huskers were dead today.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

For a coach that keeps redefining what bad football really truly is, and displays it on a week by week basis, there aren't any downsides to cutting him lose as soon as possible.