Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebraska
Library Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by nebraska »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Coach Riley has been moved up to #3 on the website http://coacheshotseat.com/
Butch Jones is out. We're #2! We're number 2!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I think NU takes the high road and lets Riley retire.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:I think NU takes the high road and lets Riley retire.

No way Riley retire's Leaves too many $$ on the table if he walks away vs. getting fired.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
No way Riley retire's Leaves too many $$ on the table if he walks away vs. getting fired.
Oregon State's Gary Andersen Resigns, Unnecessarily Gives Up Millions Of Dollars
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Oregon State's Gary Andersen Resigns, Unnecessarily Gives Up Millions Of Dollars

I get that and know the story but don't see it happening here. Remember that Anderson waked away from Wis in a head scratcher too.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Email is circulating saying that Reilly is now #1 on the Coach Hot Seat list.

I hate to say it, but I have not been enjoying watching the games this year. Probably going to pass on watching this Saturday.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omababe wrote:Email is circulating saying that Reilly is now #1 on the Coach Hot Seat list.

I hate to say it, but I have not been enjoying watching the games this year. Probably going to pass on watching this Saturday.
Yep, he's been a dead man walking for several weeks now in my opinion. I have every opportunity to watch the next game, but I'm in no way interested in it. Won't even be disappointed if I miss them somehow win. Welp, such is the sorry state of Husker football. I'll be very interested once this season is over.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The best thing that Husker football fans could do in the next two weeks is to not watch the games. A serious drop in TV ratings this week and about 15,000 empty seats in Memorial stadium next week would be a great message to NU to get itself used to the idea that the money printing days are coming to an end.

Even getting rid of the current coach simply piles more money on the contract payouts that they have accumulated over the past 15 years. Time to solemnly pledge that on pain of losing their jobs, they will not sign any more silly contracts like the extension with the current coach.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

bigredmed1 wrote:Even getting rid of the current coach simply piles more money on the contract payouts that they have accumulated over the past 15 years. Time to solemnly pledge that on pain of losing their jobs, they will not sign any more silly contracts like the extension with the current coach.
The local versions of the FAKE NEWS are guilty of fueling this problem as well. The local Fake News is always kissing up to those University of Nebraska Administrators and coaches and doing a lame job of holding them accountable. A month or two after the Nebraska Administrators had given Riley the million dollar contract extension and then fired the Athletic Director the Fake News was reporting how football smart the Nebraska Administrators were. One of those football savvy administrators even played some college football himself. Well whoopy! How in the world could those so called football smart administrators not have seen by the end of the second season that Nebraska's future under Riley looked shaky? The whole country who was not watching through Nebraska Blinders could see Nebraska Football was a joke. The only people that think Nebraska does not stink is Nebraska Fans and their Fake News outlets. The only chance Riley had of Nebraska being a legit team this year was if Tanner Lee really was NFL material. As we all can see now Tanner Lee will never play a down in the NFL. There would be no football Jesus to magically cover up all the mistakes Riley had made.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Grandpa, as I said, the best thing NU fans could do right now is to plan on not watching the game. Let Fox Sports 1 take a huge ratings hit in this market. They will be having words with the BIG TEN and NU. The other thing is to just not show up for the next game. Don't tell anyone, don't boycott, don't surrender your tickets, just don't show up. The stadium will be obviously not full and there will be no way to hide it.

As for the local media, there is simply too much money involved in covering the huskers and the jays. These two programs could lose every game and they could rape virgins at half time and set children on fire as the teams kneel on the sidelines and pray to Satan, and they would still get great coverage. Don't ever count on balanced coverage regarding the Jayskers.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: the FAKE NEWS are guilty of fueling this problem as well.
Please learn what Fake News actually is. I don't want to be the only intelligent old Grandpa in here. :shock:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Uffda wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: the FAKE NEWS are guilty of fueling this problem as well.
Please learn what Fake News actually is. I don't want to be the only intelligent old Grandpa in here. :shock:
"Fake News" in $mucker's mind appears to be anything that he doesn't want to hear, especially if it doesn't match his political point of view, whether or not it's factual.

But, I agree...Nebraska football is no longer the powerhouse it used to be. Nebraskans need to remember it took Osborne over 20 years as head coach to win a national championship, although he was much more often a contender than not.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GetUrban wrote:
Uffda wrote:
"Fake News" in $mucker's mind appears to be anything that he doesn't want to hear, especially if it doesn't match his political point of view, whether or not it's factual.

But, I agree...Nebraska football is no longer the powerhouse it used to be. Nebraskans need to remember it took Osborne over 20 years as head coach to win a national championship, although he was much more often a contender than not.
Osborne had years where the only loss was to Oklahoma and he was still seen as a failure and there were calls for his job. Reilly has never been to that level, ever. Still puzzled as to why he was hired.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Check-out Osborne's Head Coaching Record from WIKI...you're right, yet people still complained!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Osborne

But if you look at Riley's record, it's no surprise where we're at now. Nice guy though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Riley
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska, Scott Frost reportedly ‘close’ to deal
Nebraska is “close” to a seven-year, $35 million agreement with Frost, per Lars Anderson of Bleacher Report.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska, Scott Frost reportedly ‘close’ to deal
Nebraska is “close” to a seven-year, $35 million agreement with Frost, per Lars Anderson of Bleacher Report.
image.jpeg
I'm staying away from speculation. Although I think Scott Frost is a highly viable option, there won't be an announcement until after the Iowa game at the earliest and probably not until after UCF's bowl game IF Scott Frost is our guy. Per that report, 5 million is too convenient of a number, so like I said, I'm not going to commit too much to the next month or two. We'll hear it when we hear it.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Nebraska, Scott Frost reportedly ‘close’ to deal
image.jpeg
I'm staying away from speculation. Although I think Scott Frost is a highly viable option, there won't be an announcement until after the Iowa game at the earliest and probably not until after UCF's bowl game IF Scott Frost is our guy. Per that report, 5 million is too convenient of a number, so like I said, I'm not going to commit too much to the next month or two. We'll hear it when we hear it.

Scotty Frost is coming to Nebraska. Even that ding bat the Long Island Medium could get that one right. By high noon next Saturday Mike Riley will have been fired! Penn State is favored by 26 1/2 points this afternoon and they will NOT cover the points.

Penn State 44 Nebraska 20
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Scotty Frost is coming to Nebraska. Even that ding bat the Long Island Medium could get that one right. By high noon next Saturday Mike Riley will have been fired! Penn State is favored by 26 1/2 points this afternoon and they will NOT cover the points.

I thought you said they will not cover, unless your math is fake.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'll feel bad for Frost if he has too many 3 loss seasons, and the fan base starts treating him like garbage again like they did in the 90's.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Coyote wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Scotty Frost is coming to Nebraska. Even that ding bat the Long Island Medium could get that one right. By high noon next Saturday Mike Riley will have been fired! Penn State is favored by 26 1/2 points this afternoon and they will NOT cover the points.

I thought you said they will not cover, unless your math is fake.
I am saying that Penn State will not cover.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:I'll feel bad for Frost if he has too many 3 loss seasons, and the fan base starts treating him like garbage again like they did in the 90's.
He will be making 5 million a year while guys like us will be lucky to make 5 million in our entire careers :lol: Feel sorry for us!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Just as I feared, Penn State's rolling all over Nebraska.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

And now the game's over. They lost 56-44. Their bowl hopes are officially gone.

Sure they showed some fire in the second half. But it was pretty clear by then it was too little, too late. Their sloppy, pisspoor performance in the first half cost them big time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Another loss..

Looking on the bright side, the team, at least, competed this week until the end..as opposed to laying down vs Minnesota..

Tanner Lee and the receiver corps had a nice 2nd half..

On to Black Friday and the expected loss that will end the NU season at 4-8 and end this particular coaching staff at NU. Who will be the next NU head coach? Scott Frost? It’s not a slam dunk it’ll be him. Craig Bohl? Maybe.. All I know, this next hire is the most important Nebraska football head coaching hire since 1962 when Bob Devany became the now legendary head coach of the Huskers..

Stay tuned...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Iowa seems to be struggling a bit themselves as of late (seems like they're always able to pull off a top 10 upset every season), could be an interesting game Friday.

We've definitely got some talented athletes. Can't help but wonder what this season would have been like with if we still had Banker... Diaco has been a disaster. And on the offensive side of the ball, if they just canned Cavanaugh, maybe we could come up with some decent run blocking. As much as there seems to be some disfunction in many areas of the game, at some point we need to stop throwing out the baby with the bath water and exercise some patience. Riley did at least show a willingness to tweak his staff.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Just a thought... I've heard many names for our next coach throughout the season. They all run the spread offense, which is the opposite of what the fan base would like to see. We/they want to see ground and pound run offense that we had back in the day and that Wisconsin runs now.

I just want to make a note that we will probably get a spread offense style coach and that our current starters don't plug into that system very well.

The offensive line might benefit from that switch, JD Spielman can play it, but beyond that I'm hard pressed...

Nebraska has never run the spread, so that would be very interesting to see, just wonder if they'll ever get the players to run it well.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It was not nearly as bad as I expected. It almost appeared to be a turn-around for a while. Even though they lost it was not as depressing a beat-down as a few games this year.

I used to look forward to fall Saturdays and the Nebraska game but this year it just has not been the same!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

No games aired on ABC/ESPN this year. Hopefully, next year, that will be remedied. :yes:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:No games aired on ABC/ESPN this year. Hopefully, next year, that will be remedied. :yes:
While accurate it is not a 100% fair comparison. This was the first year of FS1 and FOX over the air being part of the B1G TV package. Don't recall the exact details but in some weeks / situations they had the choice of games before ABC / ESPN. Many of the games that were on FS1 / FOX would have been ABC / ESPN on other years.

This year the Husker were on Fox over the air 1 and time FS1 6 times.
Granted the Oregon game was on the road and part of their Conf TV package but the opponent (Huskers) was still part of where it got placed.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Nebraska goes into half tied but should be up by a couple scores. After going up 7-0, Huskers gave up a 99 yard drive. Then Nebraska lets Iowa bleed the clock and score a touchdown after giving up a first down on a running into the kicker penalty. Brilliant coaching.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Sweet mercy goodness, Dear Athletic Director Moos, just end this. I'm not even a fan and this is painful to see.
No posts exist for this topic
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

56-14. Terrible. Mike Riley just coached his last game.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

mrsticka wrote:56-14. Terrible. Mike Riley just coached his last game.
It's almost like watching someone in Hospice care
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

And so another bad coaching recruit turns into a 7 figure budget hole for NU. How many times do we have to go through this? Got to say that everyone who signed off on his contract extension (and you know it wasn't just Eichorst) needs to go.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not my screenshot, but WOWT is living in an alternate reality.

twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Riley should have been fired weeks ago. Nothing good came from keeping him. His players quit on him. I'm sure work has been going on behind the scenes, but the search would have been much easier without Riley hanging on in question. Surely Langsdorf could have made simple coaching decisions in an interim role.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:Not my screenshot, but WOWT is living in an alternate reality.

Maybe they used a screen cap from the 1980’s or 90’s :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

So, since the Nebraska game was going so bad earlier tonight, I flipped over to the Mizzou-Arkansas game on CBS. Mizzou kicks a game winning field goal at the end of the game. Not even 20 minutes later, I see a crawl that Brett Bielema (Arkansas coach) had been fired. Wow.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I listened to it on the radio, it went exactly how I and a couple friends expected. My friend bet on it when the line was like Iowa -5.5, we thought, should be more like 45.5 :lol: Easy bet. They were lucky to be tied at the half, but whew did the collapse come. Yeah, just glad this thing is over.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Riley said he had not spoken with athletic director Bill Moos since earlier in the week. He said he anticipated coaching the Huskers next season.

"When I go to bed tonight I'll be hoping for that, because I would love to do this," Riley said. "I truly believe I'm exactly the right person to do this. The football parts, I've been doing this so long, we know how to fix. And we also are doing a good job recruiting. Those two things are going to be the key to Nebraska getting back to where everybody wants to go."

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400935417