Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Busguy2010 wrote:Riley said he had not spoken with athletic director Bill Moos since earlier in the week. He said he anticipated coaching the Huskers next season.

"When I go to bed tonight I'll be hoping for that, because I would love to do this," Riley said. "I truly believe I'm exactly the right person to do this. The football parts, I've been doing this so long, we know how to fix. And we also are doing a good job recruiting. Those two things are going to be the key to Nebraska getting back to where everybody wants to go."

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400935417
My crystal ball says that Riley will be summoned to the Athletic Directors office early Saturday morning and fired. Between 10 AM and Noon local channels will begin to have scrolls running across the bottom of the screen announcing they will be soon broadcasting a press conference where the Athletic Director will officially announce that he has just fired coach Riley. This should all be rapped up by 2pm.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:My crystal ball says that Riley will be summoned to the Athletic Directors office early Saturday morning and fired. Between 10 AM and Noon local channels will begin to have scrolls running across the bottom of the screen announcing they will be soon broadcasting a press conference where the Athletic Director will officially announce that he has just fired coach Riley. This should all be rapped up by 2pm.
Yeah, I figure if not tomorrow, Mike Riley will be relieved of his duties sometime this weekend. I just thought it was odd he is still saying he "thinks he's the man for the job" next year.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Busguy2010 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:My crystal ball says that Riley will be summoned to the Athletic Directors office early Saturday morning and fired. Between 10 AM and Noon local channels will begin to have scrolls running across the bottom of the screen announcing they will be soon broadcasting a press conference where the Athletic Director will officially announce that he has just fired coach Riley. This should all be rapped up by 2pm.
Yeah, I figure if not tomorrow, Mike Riley will be relieved of his duties sometime this weekend. I just thought it was odd he is still saying he "thinks he's the man for the job" next year.
Agreed. That's just utter lunacy.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Meetings and stuff happening right now according to "The Twitter." First, the head coach, now entire coaching staff. News conference shortly after noon.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:Meetings and stuff happening right now according to "The Twitter." First, the head coach, now entire coaching staff. News conference shortly after noon.
Just Broke- NU has fired Mike Reilly according to KETV, KMTV and now the Omaha W-H...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And Chip Kelly to UCLA.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H-

“It’s three-and-out for Mike Riley.

Nebraska fired its third football coach in a decade Saturday when the program dismissed Riley, hired in 2014, after just three seasons. He finished 19-19 at NU and had the shortest stint as Husker head coach since Pete Elliott, who coached the team one season in 1956.

“Mike Riley has brought tremendous professionalism and energy to the Nebraska football program, but unfortunately, those attributes have not translated to on-field success,” Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said in a press release. “After a thorough review of all aspects of our football program, I have chosen to move in a different direction.””...

The complete story link:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/n ... 6cdf7.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:And Chip Kelly to UCLA.
I also found it interesting (and a bit comical, considering his seeming disdain for NU football) that ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said he’d be “shocked” if Scott Frost wasn’t hired as head coach of the Florida Gators :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
I also found it interesting (and a bit comical, considering his seeming disdain for NU football) that ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said he’d be “shocked” if Scott Frost wasn’t hired as head coach of the Florida Gators :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That is a good sign for the Huskers if that is who we want
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

That ESPN video from ten years ago of Herbstreit whining like a small child while NU teams kept getting picked over his choices will always remain a classic.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

On a lighter note................

Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said he had 2 Runzas during the second half of the Iowa game. Maybe after he gets done making the Huskers great again he can make those Runzas big again. Those Runzas have gotten pretty small and are only about filled with half as much cheese and hamburger as they once was. The quality of that hamburger in those Runzas needs to be upgraded about as bad as the Husker defense.

How about this mornings edition of the Fake News. It said that QB Tanner Lee is still undecided about if he will stay for his senior year or go to the NFL. Are these guys blind? Did they not see Tanner Lee pass right to a Defensive player again yesterday :lol: Maybe Tanner is just color blind and the NFL can give him a good set of glasses so he can distinguish the colors of the jerseys better. If Tanner Lee plays QB for Nebraska next year even with Scott Frost as coach we will be lucky to win half of the games. Any NFL team that pays and drafts Tanner Lee is an idiot! I can't believe any NFL team is that stupid. Okay well maybe the Raiders are dumb enough to draft Tanner.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

At least Riley won't hold a secret players only meeting where he scorches the administration.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I was listening to one of the SiriusXM sports channels this afternoon as I was driving back to Omaha. The announcer was talking about Chip and how it was better for him to go to the West Coast as he had his connections out there. He then talked about Florida needing someone who knew FL and had made connections plus knowing SEC. He mentioned Frost having the FL connections BUT not one word was said about NU wanting Frost. The announcer totally ignored the coaching opening and Frost connection
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just as I was reading that, the sports ticker on ESPN showed a quote from Moos talking about Frost.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That is a good sign for the Huskers if that is who we want
Good point there...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I was listening to one of the SiriusXM sports channels this afternoon as I was driving back to Omaha. The announcer was talking about Chip and how it was better for him to go to the West Coast as he had his connections out there. He then talked about Florida needing someone who knew FL and had made connections plus knowing SEC. He mentioned Frost having the FL connections BUT not one word was said about NU wanting Frost. The announcer totally ignored the coaching opening and Frost connection
Interesting. And it kind of supports the feeling I get from national pundits that NU football is irrelevant and should be totally ignored for a quality head coaching hire..Which we all know is utter NONSENSE..

Part of me wants Frost to come to NU just to stick it to the Kirk Herbstreit’s of the world...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:That ESPN video from ten years ago of Herbstreit whining like a small child while NU teams kept getting picked over his choices will always remain a classic.
Kirk Herbstreit is a completely non transparent chameleon..and also has passive aggressive tendencies.. He minimizes the NU football program and it’s history.. Then when he’s called out about it, he goes into denial mode and gets offended that anyone could call him out on the carpet for his BS opinion..

Herbstreit is also a complete Shill and his opinions I consider comical..and I’m being nice when I say that :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I was on a mobile device when I posted my Herbstreit comment. It's not convenient to link stuff. This is the video that I'm referring to:

[youtube][/youtube]
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Sounds like Kirk hates Nebraska.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

So? Where are all of Nebraska's so-called fiscal conservatives and budget hawks when it comes to the magnitude and duration of these severance payments?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omababe wrote:So? Where are all of Nebraska's so-called fiscal conservatives and budget hawks when it comes to the magnitude and duration of these severance payments?
Right here. As I posted earlier, the entirety of the NU administration that signed off on Riley's extension should be fired for cause.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omababe wrote:So? Where are all of Nebraska's so-called fiscal conservatives and budget hawks when it comes to the magnitude and duration of these severance payments?
Right here. As I posted earlier, the entirety of the NU administration that signed off on Riley's extension should be fired for cause.

I believe that extension was done in a vacuum by SI. The next one that was going to happen was stomped out by the current administration.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

I believe that extension was done in a vacuum by SI. The next one that was going to happen was stomped out by the current administration.
Hes right and you are in left field. The current administration is guilty of gross incompetence and pissing away millions like they were nothing.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It’s breaking on ESPN, that Florida is finalizing a deal that makes Mississippi St HC Dan Mullen the U of Florida new head football coach..

It appears we can scratch Florida off the Scott Frost as head coach list. I wonder if idiot Kirk Herbstreit is “shocked” at this development :lol: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This makes more sense, Mullen was Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator while at Florida.
Rumor has it Frost turned Florida down. USA Today's Dan Wolken:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another HC position is now open, as expected, aTm fires Kevin Sumlin.
Looks like Tennessee is going to get another Urban Meyers OC, Greg Schiano.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Another HC position is now open, as expected, aTm fires Kevin Sumlin.
Shiano is Ohio St’s defensive coordinator I believe.. But you are correct, ESPN is reporting Shiano to the Vols.

A&M firing Sumlin was expected. I don’t think Frost is a strong candidate for that job..

I think Frost coming to NU comes down to his current situation at Central Florida vs coming home to fix Nebraska. You’d think this is a no brainer..but consider- Frost, his wife and family most likely LOVE living in central Florida- year around golf, great winter weather with no snow or ice etc etc..

In the end, I’m like most NU fans. I want Frost. But I’m not sure it’s the slam dunk several pundits have proclaimed..

I hope they’re right and Frosty comes home to coach the Huskers. This is setting up real well for NU. Fingers crossed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My bad, Sciano is a DC at Ohio St.
Now it looks like Sumlin is the target of Arizona St. after they just fired Todd Graham.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Another HC position is now open, as expected, aTm fires Kevin Sumlin.
Only problem with that theory is that he is the DC with Ohio State
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The longer this goes the more likely that Frost has been at least a hand shake deal for awhile. Since many of the other openings that have happened in the last 48 hours have rumors floating of who is a live candidate and there is none of that for the Huskers it looks more and more like Frost
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
Only problem with that theory is that he is the DC with Ohio State

I see I was beaten on that one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like Tennessee fans are really upset with the pick of Schiano, going back to his ties to the Jerry Sandusky era at Penn State.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Sounds like Tennessee fans are really upset with the pick of Schiano, going back to his ties to the Jerry Sandusky era at Penn State.
Wow. Now, because of 'unprecedented backlash' talks are now off with Schiano... Crazy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:The longer this goes the more likely that Frost has been at least a hand shake deal for awhile.
ESPN's Chris Fowler: Nebraska to land Scott Frost, deal 'done for awhile'
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just look at these Bowl predictions!:

Jan. 1 Rose Bowl (2) Oklahoma vs. (3) Georgia
Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl (1) Clemson vs. (4) Wisconsin

Jan. 1 Peach Bowl Ohio State vs. UCF
Dec. 30 Fiesta Bowl USC vs. TCU
Dec. 30 Orange Bowl Miami vs. Alabama
Dec. 29 Cotton Bowl Penn St. vs. Auburn
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:Just look at these Bowl predictions!:

Jan. 1 Rose Bowl (2) Oklahoma vs. (3) Georgia
Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl (1) Clemson vs. (4) Wisconsin

Jan. 1 Peach Bowl Ohio State vs. UCF
Dec. 30 Fiesta Bowl USC vs. TCU
Dec. 30 Orange Bowl Miami vs. Alabama
Dec. 29 Cotton Bowl Penn St. vs. Auburn
Assuming Frost is really coming to NU, wouldn't that be peachy if UCF beats Ohio State? An early taste of things to come next season and beyond, hopefully.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Hes right and you are in left field. The current administration is guilty of gross incompetence and pissing away millions like they were nothing.
I really hope everyone knows and understands that the Nebraska athletic department is self funded, and that no outside money (i.e taxpayer money) is involved? And that it actually PAYS into the University via scholarship funds? Just making sure here.
No posts exist for this topic
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

MadMartin8 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

I really hope everyone knows and understands that the Nebraska athletic department is self funded, and that no outside money (i.e taxpayer money) is involved? And that it actually PAYS into the University via scholarship funds? Just making sure here.
Cut the nonsense.......We shouldn't have to explain the obvious to folks like you which is that we have University officials making million dollar contract extensions one month and the next month firing the AD and 3 months later the coach. These University officials sit like they are gods on their thrones at Mt Olympus making grossly stupid mistakes and they are not being held accountable. Unless we start making those officials accountable we could be caught up in a vicious cycle. Oh yeah thats right we already are caught up in that vicious cycle. Einstein is reported to once have said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."