Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Uffda »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:And Chip Kelly to UCLA.
I also found it interesting (and a bit comical, considering his seeming disdain for NU football) that ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said he’d be “shocked” if Scott Frost wasn’t hired as head coach of the Florida Gators :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Attachments
herb.jpg
herb.jpg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:And Chip Kelly to UCLA.
I also found it interesting (and a bit comical, considering his seeming disdain for NU football) that ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said he’d be “shocked” if Scott Frost wasn’t hired as head coach of the Florida Gators :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
LOL.. Herbie is such a chameleon. Nice take Herbie :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

its almost eerily quiet around here. Everybody seems to be holding their breath since the Florida news dropped. I'm of the group that is cautiously awaiting the coaching announcement. What if we don't get Scott Frost?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:its almost eerily quiet around here. Everybody seems to be holding their breath since the Florida news dropped. I'm of the group that is cautiously awaiting the coaching announcement. What if we don't get Scott Frost?
Well, in the Bill Moos presser Saturday afternoon, he indicated he had 6 candidates for the job written on a list he keeps locked in his desk...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:Well, in the Bill Moos presser Saturday afternoon, he indicated he had 6 candidates for the job written on a list he keeps locked in his desk...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Okay, I just think Nebraska would implode if we don't get Scott Frost.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:Well, in the Bill Moos presser Saturday afternoon, he indicated he had 6 candidates for the job written on a list he keeps locked in his desk...

Ciao.,LiO...Peace
Okay, I just think Nebraska would implode if we don't get Scott Frost.
I believe you are probably correct with that analysis :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

On a side note, we will find out just how real Wisconsin is this weekend. Their season has similarities to Iowa's undefeated regular season a couple years ago.

Just kinda funny to me it seems every team in the West will be fighting this skepticism until somebody actually does it. Will Wisconsin lose to Ohio State? Do you root for them to win or lose?

Can't wait for the day Nebraska goes undefeated into the championship game. How sweet it'll be.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Can't wait for the day Nebraska goes undefeated into the championship game. How sweet it'll be.
Bill Moos indicated a turnaround would take 3, perhaps 4 years..

It won’t happen overnight, but I agree. I expect, assuming Frost is indeed the NU Head Coach, for the Huskers to be at least competitive in every game by the 2019 season...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I expect, assuming Frost is indeed the NU Head Coach, for the Huskers to be at least competitive in every game by the 2019 season...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That's a reasonable expectation. Should Scott Frost land here, I fully expect the Huskers to go 7-5 next year, and I'll be delighted if they do better. The offensive transition would be interesting. We all know the run offense worked, but maybe it wouldn't in this day and age. We all know the west coast offense is a proven failure at Nebraska (and probably at every college for that matter). But we as Nebraska fans have never seen the Huskers run the spread offense. We've had a taste of the read option with Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Matrinez. Honestly each time I've watched UCF, I didn't know what to expect. And that has me excited.

Scott Frost just knows football. Offense, defense, special teams. He is highly qualified to head coach at any school and i think it'd be a perfect storm if he comes home.

2018: 7-5
2019: 10-2

Who knows beyond that, but I think we'll be highly competitive with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State. I honestly believe we could see the Huskers back in the championship game in 2020. Boy, seems like a long way off, but these last three years have been particularly long haven't they?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In a parallel universe, Frank Solich was never fired as head coach of Nebraska. He still is coach today. And they still use the run option, the I-formation as their main play call. As for Bill Callahan, he became the head coach of Colorado instead. And he used his west coast offense style there. Colorado's been using a west coast offense for years. For some reason, it works much better there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote:On a side note, we will find out just how real Wisconsin is this weekend. Their season has similarities to Iowa's undefeated regular season a couple years ago.

Just kinda funny to me it seems every team in the West will be fighting this skepticism until somebody actually does it. Will Wisconsin lose to Ohio State? Do you root for them to win or lose?

Can't wait for the day Nebraska goes undefeated into the championship game. How sweet it'll be.

For the sake of the Division and the Conf you have to want Wis to win. The Div needs it and more importantly the Conf needs it so that they get a team in the final 4 playoff. That would probably not turn out well for Wis when it but the Conf needs them in.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Next year's starting QB will be Terry Wilson.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote:For the sake of the Division and the Conf you have to want Wis to win. The Div needs it and more importantly the Conf needs it so that they get a team in the final 4 playoff. That would probably not turn out well for Wis when it but the Conf needs them in.
Yeah you're right. The Big 10 won't make the playoffs if Ohio State wins.

If Auburn loses, does Alabama take their spot, or Georgia? That'd be a tough one

Would Miami be in if they beat Clemson?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Winner of Auburn Georgia is in. Winner of Miami Clemson is in. Wiscy and OU are in with wins. Other scenarios get interesting. The biggest question is if OSU gets in above bama if they win.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Twitter is all a buzz tonight because Mike Riley rolled in to the Husker Men’s Basketball game tonight wearing Husker gear.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

iamjacobm wrote:Winner of Auburn Georgia is in. Winner of Miami Clemson is in. Wiscy and OU are in with wins. Other scenarios get interesting. The biggest question is if OSU gets in above bama if they win.
SAY Oklahoma and Wisconsin both lose.

I see a situation where they have to consider allowing a CCG loser in. What if Auburn loses narrowly to Georgia, and Clemson loses narrowly to Miami... If these things happen, we could see a two-loss team get into the playoff. Say these things happen, would you take a two loss Champion Ohio State, or even a two loss Champion USC over a two loss champion TCU? Crazy things could happen and we could see someone ranked as low as 11 make it in.

Here's my madness scenario

1 Georgia : All four current top 4 teams lose, they beat Auburn in CCG
2 Miami: They beat Clemson
3 Alabama: Because they didn't do anything to lose the opportunity
4 Clemson : Even though they lose to Miami, they still sneak in ahead of...

5 Ohio State: Because the committee considers a win over Wisconsin "weak" because they knew all along Wisconsin wasn't for real.
6 TCU: They lost to Iowa State and broke even against Oklahoma
7 USC: They ONLY lost to a 13 and a 16 AND beat a 12 in the CCG

Should the top 4 teams all lose, and the other contenders win closely, this is how it plays out. BUT if there are any blowouts, things could get very crazy. I believe if any of those 5-7 teams blow out their opponent, they absolutely still have a chance.

Here's what I think will actually happen

1 Clemson
2 Auburn
3 Oklahoma
4 Alabama

Boorriinngg
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:Next year's starting QB will be Terry Wilson.
Where'd you hear that? Source, please?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Twitter is all a buzz tonight because Mike Riley rolled in to the Husker Men’s Basketball game tonight wearing Husker gear.

Much better than going to an off campus high school and have an unofficial meeting with your former players after being let go.

His coaching didn't work here but he sure has had the capability of taking the high road.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:
Coyote wrote:Next year's starting QB will be Terry Wilson.
Where'd you hear that? Source, please?
This has been rumored for a day or so. He was originally a Ne recruit. Had some ties to Oregon and is not at a Jr College in Ks and ready to transfer. I am sure the rumors are heated up because he was intervened on 1620 yesterday afternoon. OR I assume it happened as they were promoting it but I was not listing when it was supposed to happen.

I am sure the OP on this was a speculation along those lines.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Dear Scott Frost:

Could you please ban The Big Red Insider Sean Callahan from Memorial Stadium for life and promise to never listen to him ever :fruit:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The worst kept secret in NCAA coaching changes this season is finally being revealed on Sunday.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

jessep28 wrote:The worst kept secret in NCAA coaching changes this season is finally being revealed on Sunday.
Are we just waiting for the press conference, because according to ESPN and CBS, it is well known that he has agreed to a seven year $35 million deal.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

One thing that I wish could be different is that Frost would have a different last name. The puns are starting to get old real quick.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I am certainly not complaining about Frost being named head coach, but even though 99.9% of the population knew this was going to happen, it just seemed strange the news broke while the UCF game was still going on. Wonder who gave the ok on it?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Gus Johnson just said the winner of Wisconsin and Ohio State would be invited to the playoff.

I don't think Ohio State would if they win. Alabama would definitely get the spot ahead of Ohio state.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Eck, at least Wisconsin put up a fight. Did anybody really think Wisconsin would win? What is up with the West being unable to bring it home?

It'll be

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Some people do make some great points though. Now would be the perfect opportunity to hold an impromptu wildcard game. I'm just sayin', when it's this hard to decide, why not let the teams do it for us?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Presser at Noon today, in about 35 minutes, officially introducing Scott Frost as NU head football coach..

The long road back to relevance begins today :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
Ohio State
Wisconsin
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

:what: h
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Presser at Noon today, in about 35 minutes, officially introducing Scott Frost as NU head football coach..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I wish we could all agree that this guy gets 4 years to get a system running, then two years to make a dent in the conference, and then 1 year to be a national contender (top 20 consistently through the season) before we see him get an extension. 7 years is long enough, get to relevance or pack it in.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
It should be interesting to see a rematch of last years championship in the semifinal this year.

Also glad to see newcomer Georgia in the mix. Although I do wish Wisconsin could have sealed the deal, they obviously just didn't have it and I feel they would have just been embarrassed in a semifinal game.

Anybody else growing a little tired of the teams that are always in it though? It's always Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and then some rando that just gets their butt handed to them. I can't wait for there to be some legitimate newcomers.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote::what: h
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Presser at Noon today, in about 35 minutes, officially introducing Scott Frost as NU head football coach..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I wish we could all agree that this guy gets 4 years to get a system running, then two years to make a dent in the conference, and then 1 year to be a national contender (top 20 consistently through the season) before we see him get an extension. 7 years is long enough, get to relevance or pack it in.
I think the key to this is, Moos and Frost are on the same page. This process to relevance won’t happen overnight.. I think the length of the contract indicates belief in that..

For me, my expectation (and I wrote this here in an earlier post) is for the Huskers to at least be competitive in every game. I saw the look of a team that quit against a below average Minnesota team this year. NU can lose 5 games the next season and 3 or 4 in 2018.. But don’t get blown out, don’t quit and at least- COMPETE...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Peach Bowl
#7 Auburn
#12 UCF
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:Peach Bowl
#7 Auburn
#12 UCF
Winnable, in all honesty.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently Frost is going to coach the game.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Media question to Scott Frost-

“Scott, how will you modify your system for the Big 10?”..

Frost’s response-

“I’m hoping the Big 10 has to modify their system for us.”..

Best line in the press conference today :thumb: ...

GBR!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And that was a quick come back.
He also said former Husker Matt Davison played a key role, "pestering me until I agreed to come here."
Davison was just named Associate Athletic Director.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:And that was a quick come back.
He also said former Husker Matt Davison played a key role, "pestering me until I agreed to come here."
Davison was just named Associate Athletic Director.
Right, lol..

Liked that one liner very much too :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Almost forgot this gem Frost said - When asked about the 200 former players who greeted him in the gym:
"most of these guys have been eating too much."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Friday, December 22
Bahamas Bowl, 12:30 p.m. on ESPN: Ohio vs. UAB

Wednesday, December 27
Pinstripe Bowl, 5:15 p.m. on ESPN: Boston College vs. Iowa
Foster Farms Bowl, 8:30 p.m. on FOX: Arizona vs. Purdue

Thursday, December 28
Holiday Bowl, 9 p.m. on FS1: Michigan State vs. Washington State