Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by choke »

Banker out. Stewart out. Gunderson out.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/a ... 4bed9.html
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:Banker out. Stewart out. Gunderson out.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/a ... 4bed9.html
For the best.
No posts exist for this topic
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Riley has been no better than Pelini on the field or in recruiting. But I love his desire to win and willingness to change. The offense has been ok given the injuries and lack of depth. I think it'll be much better with a QB that can find open receivers. But special teams and defense are awful despite being healthy. Good changes by Riley.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

twiztid1 wrote:Riley has been no better than Pelini on the field or in recruiting. But I love his desire to win and willingness to change. The offense has been ok given the injuries and lack of depth. I think it'll be much better with a QB that can find open receivers. But special teams and defense are awful despite being healthy. Good changes by Riley.
As Osborne said to Callahan, you can maybe have 1 bad year here. You don't last with 2. He's already had a losing record and got a pass for it. I don't think Riley had a choice on these. We've under-performed with two relatively easy schedules. Next year's will be tougher and 2018 is a legitimately tough one. The seats for Riley and Eichorst were definitely getting warm.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Supposedly they already have the replacement ready to go (which would make sense). Could be announced tomorrow, if not Saturday.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:Supposedly they already have the replacement ready to go (which would make sense). Could be announced tomorrow, if not Saturday.

Greg

Kevin Cosgrove is coming back!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Supposedly they already have the replacement ready to go (which would make sense). Could be announced tomorrow, if not Saturday.

Greg

Need to get a new "Wizard of Coz" sweatshirt ready for this Fall!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Greg

Need to get a new "Wizard of Coz" sweatshirt ready for this Fall!

I would buy 50 if it also included a picture of Elmo alongside him.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It sounds like Bob Diaco will be bringing his 3-4 defense to Lincoln.
Good thing we have plenty of linebackers.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:It sounds like Bob Diaco will be bringing his 3-4 defense to Lincoln.
Good thing we have plenty of linebackers.
I also hear Diaco will be the highest paid assistant coach in Nebraska football history at a rumored nearly $1 million salary.. As a point of reference, the fired Banker was making $580,000...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Nebraska Football 2017

Post by nebugeater »

2016 is in the books. Time to move on to a 2017 thread. With the staffing changes, recruting, Winter conditioning, and pending spring practice we are on to a new season.

I moved a few posts at the end of the 2016 thread here that are about the future season.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Stargazer »

Pretty impressive recruiting class beginning to come together. When's the last time we've had 4 4-star WR's ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Stargazer wrote:Pretty impressive recruiting class beginning to come together. When's the last time we've had 4 4-star WR's ?
Meh..

NU has had more effective recruiting classes under Osborne that ranked in the 40's..

It's not the number of stars or "blue chips" in college; but rather how they fit into the coaching system/scheme and then practice and play "the right way" that makes the actual difference..

Time and coaching will tell with these current supposed "4 star" recruits.. there is as much a chance they'll fall flat on their faces than become on the field difference makers..

We shall see...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:Pretty impressive recruiting class beginning to come together. When's the last time we've had 4 4-star WR's ?
It will be interesting to see how the new system will use these WRs. And they are still after one more. If one of our QBs can get them the ball in stride... In ugly weather...

With the D going 3-4 I hope we can develop a good NG.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: It will be interesting to see how the new system will use these WRs.
Although not a WR, for the time he was here, TE Cethan Carter was never fully integrated or used properly within the NU offensive scheme.. Never got to see the coaching staff maximize this kids talent.. We saw flashes, then he got hurt..

I think Carter has the talent and skill set to potentially play in the NFL.. Or at least garner a spot on somebody's practice squad...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

So far so good on signing day.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Yes

So far all have fallen the Huskers way that were expected with a few major signings still in play.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Guy Thomas staying with Nebraska surprised me. Still think Calvin signs with Wash State.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg's correct. Calvin signed with Wazzou.

That kid is a headcase, and Nebraska might end up with better WRs.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I really like what Riley has done since the end of the regular season. He made some significant coaching changes and put together good recruiting class. My only complaint is they didn't fill out the class. Bo was awful in this area which contributed to the depth issues of late. It's a tough spot for coaches though as they were in on some high end talent that didn't announce until late today. Nebraska might not have as many spots open next year either.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Next year's will be smaller, but with the couple spots that weren't filled this year you add those to next year's class (and for this spring and fall, you give the open ones to senior walk ons).

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like there could be over 70,000 people for Saturday's spring game. As of Wednesday morning, more than 66,000 tickets had been sold.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like there could be over 70,000 people for Saturday's spring game. As of Wednesday morning, more than 66,000 tickets had been sold.
And an impressive list of recruits. Obviously it doesn't mean much if you can't close the deal on some of these elite prospects, but at least this coaching staff puts passion into recruiting while the previous one seemed to only make excuses and negative comments.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Latest update states that ticket sales have surpassed 70,000 and there is a possibility of breaking 2008's record attendance of 80,149.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think it was 78,312
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nate Gerry goes to the Eagles in the 5th (184). Sorry Omaha Cowboy :;):
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Nate Gerry goes to the Eagles in the 5th (184). Sorry Omaha Cowboy :;):
Nate Gerry to the irrelevant Philadelphia Hummingbirds not withstanding..

I'm surprised there has been no 2017 Husker football talk here since the NFL Draft 4 months ago. I'm wondering if many are just not excited about the upcoming NU season after reading and hearing the pundits downplaying the Husker season with the expectation of only 5 to 7 wins. Does a 5-7 season put Mike Reilly squarely on the hot seat? Probably yes. But I still think he deserves a 5 year window to completely turn the roster over.. At the end of the 2019 season, if we still see the Huskers middling at the 5 to 7 win mark and not close to competing for a conference championship, then I'd say he's out..

Anywho, what are your expectations for the upcoming NU season? Opening game is less than 1 month (more like 3 weeks) away...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Nate Gerry goes to the Eagles in the 5th (184). Sorry Omaha Cowboy :;):

I'm surprised there has been no 2017 Husker football talk here since the NFL Draft 4 months ago. I'm wondering if many are just not excited about the upcoming NU season after reading and hearing the pundits downplaying the Husker season with the expectation of only 5 to 7 wins. Does a 5-7 season put Mike Reilly squarely on the hot seat? Probably yes. But I still think he deserves a 5 year window to completely turn the roster over.. At the end of the 2019 season, if we still see the Huskers middling at the 5 to 7 win mark and not close to competing for a conference championship, then I'd say he's out..

Anywho, what are your expectations for the upcoming NU season? Opening game is less than 1 month (more like 3 weeks) away...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I've been thinking about the upcoming season myself, I just didn't know when or where to post it. I have followed the football program very little in the off-season. All I've really heard is the quarterback has shown some promise and there have been some injuries. I honestly have no clue what I'm talking about, but the optimist in me says they will beat Oregon, surprisingly beat Wisconsin and Penn State and finish the regular season 11-1. The realist says 7-5. College football is so much harder to predict given the overall lack of true talent and huge rosters. College football has so much to do with what the next man up can do or can't do. I will have to watch the first three to six games really closely to have anything close to a real idea. I've just vaguely heard most people outside the state think they're going to tank, but the local media seems to be really optimistic. I definitely have my bit of Husker pride, and I can see through it.

I'm glad you brought this discussion back up, Cowboy. What I really wanted to post about was Rex Burkhead as a Patriot. After seeing his greatness in Nebraska and borderline irrelevancy with the Bengals, I am feeling super confident that Bill Belichick will best recognize Burkhead's strengths and utilize him thoroughly. For those of who follow pro football, I expect Burkhead to compile about 5 touchdowns with catches out of the backfield or certain goal line plays. As a fan of both these teams, I'm really excited to see Burkhead show his relevancy, and ultimately win a Super Bowl title.

If you're a Husker fan, you've gotta like the Patriots because they seem to like the Huskers. It would be interesting to find out how many Nebraska players have played in the regular season with the Patriots in their great years. I know there's been a few within the last eight or so years. Alfonzo Dennard, Vincent Valentine and Rex Burkhead so far. Dennard and Valentine have both won Super Bowls, Burkhead is next up. I may do a little more research on that topic.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I currently hope the Bills don't sign Brandon Reilly, and the Patriots pick him up in typical fashion. Then in a couple years, Brandon Reilly will be yet another Husker to have a tangible impact on the the NFL.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I've been thinking about the upcoming season myself, I just didn't know when or where to post it. I have followed the football program very little in the off-season. All I've really heard is the quarterback has shown some promise and there have been some injuries. I honestly have no clue what I'm talking about, but the optimist in me says they will beat Oregon, surprisingly beat Wisconsin and Penn State and finish the regular season 11-1. The realist says 7-5. College football is so much harder to predict given the overall lack of true talent and huge rosters. College football has so much to do with what the next man up can do or can't do. I will have to watch the first three to six games really closely to have anything close to a real idea. I've just vaguely heard most people outside the state think they're going to tank, but the local media seems to be really optimistic. I definitely have my bit of Husker pride, and I can see through it.

I'm glad you brought this discussion back up, Cowboy.
The thing I find most surprising, is the NU football season opens in less than 2 weeks (September 2nd) and no one on the forum wants to discuss them.. Postive, negative or even smack talk.. This might be a first for this site. Could it be the Huskers have disappointed so often the past 16 years, they're becoming a bit irrelevant even to a base of hard core college football fans?..

Granted, NU opens against Arkansas St..a team that doesn't exactly rouse Husker football emotion..but NU has opened to perceived "cupcake" teams before and we'd have, at least, some decent and steady discussion in the few weeks leading up to the opener..

My how the state of Cornhusker football has fallen...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think for me it's because since 2008, there has been a good amount of hype for each year without the results. There was at least a few exciting players to talk about each year. After the coaching change, things have stayed the same and I think people are a little tired of investing hope. The 2017 team in particular, lacks a certain few characters that we can all be excited about. This team doesn't have an identity yet. Like I said, I can give no real opinion on the team until I see what they're really about. The Husker fan in me says the quarterback situation is good, probably better than it has been for the entire 21st century. And I'm kind of excited to see the defense after the changes. We know close to nothing about this team so I think it's natural. Just wait till the first game is over and we will have much to talk about.

Assuming the first game goes down as a win, they go right to Oregon, whom is kind of in the same position as Nebraska. Kind of like "what happened". The polls have them better than the Huskers, so should they go in there and win, there will be some recognition and a better gauge. I'm very excited to say there's less than two weeks left!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:The thing I find most surprising, is the NU football season opens in less than 2 weeks (September 2nd) and no one on the forum wants to discuss them.. Postive, negative or even smack talk..
I've noticed it too, not only on line but in real life. This year the excitement level seems to be down somewhat.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Okay, I'll talk about the Huskers...

In November of 2001, I bought my truck, the day of the Colorado game. While deciding on options and filling out paperwork, the Huskers were being blown out by CU. I don't care, it was a loss, CU was ranked, we win some, we lose some, blah blah blah. We still had the Heisman and went to the National Championship (against Miami, again).

But then 2002 was a crapp season. Pederson came on and fired Solich. Here's a paraphrasing from Wikipedia
Pederson justified the move by stating he would not "let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity" and would not "surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas".
However, that's exactly what happened. We've been in mediocrity ever since and Big 12 is OU and UT's domain now.

Here's why it sucks though. We went from 50 years of dominating by just being a good fraking team to a coaching carousel and losing seasons. It's never fun seeing the end of the line, to watch the barkeep flick off the lights at closing time. Instead of being the Big Man on campus in the Big 12, we're just another somebody in the Big 10. We built a big bonfire and enjoyed the party for a long time, but we're out of firewood and everyone has drifted to other fires by now.

I'll never stop being a Husker fan. Going to the games is still fantastic. We still have the best fans in the business. And Lincoln is an amazing town. I'm throwing sticks into the fire trying to keep it alive, waiting for someone to dump a truckload of wood on it.

Go Big Red!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:The thing I find most surprising, is the NU football season opens in less than 2 weeks (September 2nd) and no one on the forum wants to discuss them.. Postive, negative or even smack talk..
I've noticed it too, not only on line but in real life. This year the excitement level seems to be down somewhat.
And I'm wondering if it's because the so called "experts" who write and talk about college football have pegged the 2017 Huskers a 5 to 7 win team, middling in Big 10 mediocrity..combined with 16 consecutive seasons of being let down as a fan base (for the most part)..

I get that it wares on even the true bluest 100% Big Red fan..

And also, Solich was fired after the 2003 season and going 9-3..ending the year defeating Colorado in Boulder. I remember Pelini acted as head coach for the bowl game that year when NU defeated Michigan St 17-3 in the Alamo Bowl.. This is all off memory, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:And also, Solich was fired after the 2003 season and going 9-3..ending the year defeating Colorado in Boulder. I remember Pelini acted as head coach for the bowl game that year when NU defeated Michigan St 17-3 in the Alamo Bowl.. This is all off memory, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong :) ...
I don't doubt your numbers and I don't commit them to memory as many more hardcore fans do. :) :)

I definitely remember that Frankie was most likely pushed out more for "Extracurricular Activities" than scores, and Bo was cashiered for just being a general hothead than scores.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omababe wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:And also, Solich was fired after the 2003 season and going 9-3..ending the year defeating Colorado in Boulder. I remember Pelini acted as head coach for the bowl game that year when NU defeated Michigan St 17-3 in the Alamo Bowl.. This is all off memory, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong :) ...
I don't doubt your numbers and I don't commit them to memory as many more hardcore fans do. :) :)

I definitely remember that Frankie was most likely pushed out more for "Extracurricular Activities" than scores, and Bo was cashiered for just being a general hothead than scores.

Frank was pushed out by Steve Pedersen. Solich was on a bit of a hot seat under Bill Byrne but got to stay when he made major changes to the staff after the 2002 season, i cluding bringing in Pelini. The team improved a ton but still lost big in big games. Pedersen wanted to put his mark on the program, believed we were no longer recruiting elite athletes and wanted to get some excitement so he could do a massive overhaul of the facilities (which were no longer as elite as they had been).

Who knows what would have happened if Solich had been given more time with the new staff. It was good when he finally realized he could be not the head coach and offensive coordinator simultaneously as TO had been (few can do this well).

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:
Omababe wrote:

Frank was pushed out by Steve Pedersen. Solich was on a bit of a hot seat under Bill Byrne but got to stay when he made major changes to the staff after the 2002 season, i cluding bringing in Pelini. The team improved a ton but still lost big in big games. Pedersen wanted to put his mark on the program, believed we were no longer recruiting elite athletes and wanted to get some excitement so he could do a massive overhaul of the facilities (which were no longer as elite as they had been).

Who knows what would have happened if Solich had been given more time with the new staff. It was good when he finally realized he could be not the head coach and offensive coordinator simultaneously as TO had been (few can do this well).

Greg
Yep. 2004 started the Steve Petersen/Bill Callahan era..

We all know that crashed and burned after the 2007 season debacle...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
willyb934
New to the Neighborhood

Post by willyb934 »

Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum but I wanted to chime in on what I think about the upcoming Husker season. I just graduated from UNL in August so naturally I love the Skers. Like many of you have said a lot of variables are at play this season. We have a lot of new players and new defensive scheme and obviously Bob Diaco as a new coordinator. With all these changes comes a huge amount of uncertainty especially to national media (ESPN). They project us low because we aren't proven. What I do think is we will surprise a lot of folks around the country. I honestly could see us doing what Penn St. did last season. Coming out of nowhere and playing in the conference championship. In reality if we win the games we should win and beat Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern we are playing in a conference championship game more than likely. To me a lot hinges on the Oregon game. If you go to Eugene and beat the Ducks we will have a ton of confidence going into a pretty winnable stretch up until Wisconsin. As always we will see what happens, but I am definitely excited for the season to start. Now off to the Prep v. Westside game. Roll Jr. Jays and GBR!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

willyb934 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum but I wanted to chime in on what I think about the upcoming Husker season. I just graduated from UNL in August so naturally I love the Skers. Like many of you have said a lot of variables are at play this season. We have a lot of new players and new defensive scheme and obviously Bob Diaco as a new coordinator. With all these changes comes a huge amount of uncertainty especially to national media (ESPN). They project us low because we aren't proven. What I do think is we will surprise a lot of folks around the country. I honestly could see us doing what Penn St. did last season. Coming out of nowhere and playing in the conference championship. In reality if we win the games we should win and beat Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern we are playing in a conference championship game more than likely. To me a lot hinges on the Oregon game. If you go to Eugene and beat the Ducks we will have a ton of confidence going into a pretty winnable stretch up until Wisconsin. As always we will see what happens, but I am definitely excited for the season to start. Now off to the Prep v. Westside game. Roll Jr. Jays and GBR!
Pretty spot on analysis and I agree- beat Oregon in Eugene..and you build a TON of confidence gong into conference play..

I look forward to talking Husker football with you throughout the 2017 season..

Welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think they can win that game up in Oregon, because Oregon isn't who it used to be. Then, in Nebraska's favor, the high profile must win games (Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa) are at home this year.

This team COULD start 6-0 to welcome Ohio State. Then you never know. Funny things happen in that stadium. But if I had to choose two "guaranteed losses" it is that one and at Penn State. All the other critical match-ups are pretty manageable (At Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern, at Minnesota, Iowa). The schedule couldn't have worked out better this year, and the team now has to rise to that golden opportunity.