Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by bigredmed1 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I'd die laughing if they hired Trev to be the AD at UNL.
As a disgruntled former Mav fan, this would do wonders for UNO. Get him out and get someone else in to the AD that could run a proper ticket office and understood the value of Season Ticket Holders as well as sympathetic free media (Mavpuck :roll: ).

Haha, 'former' Mav fan?
My wife and I had ST to Mav Hockey since the Civic. We had supported the |expletive| out of that team. We had a problem that became serious once they moved to the Bax. We need my wife to not get cold as she has a medical issue. We had previously paid for parking close to the Clink so she could go to the games. We called several times and got some work study student who was not able to help. We kept getting run around. We were willing to pay to park in the club seating parking area that was never full. They refused and suggested that I get my wife a handicap hang tag instead. Using those for real problems is fine, but using those for lesser things is not. Especially if you are a physician (who is expected to know better.) We kept asking for help in that we were willing to pay extra as we had been, but they never either said buzz off or helped us.

The seats we got in the Bax were crappy compared to the Clink and when we looked around there were dozens of corporate seats that were empty. The ticket office admitted that they intentionally bumped STHs to crappy seats and sprinkled corporate seats amongst the remaining STHs so the stadium would appear full.

After a couple of seasons at the Bax, we had grown tired of the |expletive|. Stopped our STs and have realized last season that we don't miss them.

If Trev goes to UNL, it will be a chance for UNO to get someone good in there to kick some |expletive| on the ticket people and the people who work with STHs. If Opera Omaha and the Symphony and the Broadway series people can all handle thousands of prescribers, and be right on top of a problem, then so can UNO. Of course these people think they are first class and act like it. UNO thinks its a D3 program when they are trying to run a D1 department.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Mike Riley on Eichthorst firing "I was flat out upset, I really enjoyed working with Shawn." :hammer:

I thought you were trying to save your job, Mike!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Busguy2010 wrote:Mike Riley on Eichthorst firing "I was flat out upset, I really enjoyed working with Shawn." :hammer:

I thought you were trying to save your job, Mike!

Riley is like "Old Yeller." They are going to lock him up in a pen and watch him for a few weeks and then they are going to shoot him. He knows hes a dead man walking. He would love to be fired right now but its not going to be quite that easy. Hes going to get to skate out of here with his 10-15 million but before he goes hes in for a rough 8 weeks. Prepare to watch a train wreck. :popcorn:
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Mike Riley is a good guy and I think he deserves to ride out the rest of the season and leave on his terms. After his interview I have no doubt he will be gone after the season. He showed no fight, no resolve. It was actually pretty depressing to see him talk that way and that was a clear indicator that he is 100% confident he can't get it done. I know this fan base chew you up and spit you out Mike, but thanks giving it a shot.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Riley is staying through next year at least, is my guess, but definitely through this year. If you read the OWH article about it, Bounds announced Riley's contract extension (that Green requested), just days before firing Eichorst, and saying that they were going to wait on either until December.

They knew when they announced that they were probably firing Eichorst. I'd expect that Riley has support of those two, and he is safe through this season.

I'm not a Husker fan, just a now-Omaha-resident who grew up cheering (still does) for another Big12 team, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Riley was a good attempt at recapturing the Nebraska magic in that you had a solid coach who had preformed pretty decently at a under-resourced school, with solid personal character. Sometimes that works (Mack Brown), sometimes that doesn't (Turner Gill). Scott Frost would be another roll of the dice, and as a returning son, he could be like Fred Hoiberg, to jump to another sport, or he could be like Kliff Kingsbury.

They need an AD that will do a good job while being who they want him to be, and then to hit some luck on current freshmen/sophomores making the leap, and the ship could be turned right around.
blueskyomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blueskyomaha »

Original wrote: They need an AD that will do a good job....
Joe Castiglione.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Original wrote:Riley is staying through next year at least, is my guess, but definitely through this year. If you read the OWH article about it, Bounds announced Riley's contract extension (that Green requested), just days before firing Eichorst, and saying that they were going to wait on either until December.

They knew when they announced that they were probably firing Eichorst.
Come on man we don't need to kid ourselves..........We all know those two dudes really don't know what they are doing. :dizzy:

Do I think those two geniuses er I mean professors or whatever they call themselves are stupid enough to grant those contract extensions for Riley and then a week or two later decide to fire him and the Athletic director. Do I think that? Yes....seems highly likely!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I think Nebraska wins and covers the points today. Im betting Riley goes safe and just runs the ball and eats the clock and skates away with a safe easy win.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I see they won today. How did they look though? Did they do anything better than in the previous weeks, or was it more "well it was Rutgers"?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote:I see they won today. How did they look though? Did they do anything better than in the previous weeks, or was it more "well it was Rutgers"?
They looked bad. Tanner Lee is a mess. The coaches are a mess. They almost fooled around and let this one get away to be honest. They were one more Tanner Lee pick-6 from losing. Riley was insane to risk Tanner Lee passing so much. Riley should of pulled Tanner Lee from the game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Busguy2010 wrote:I see they won today. How did they look though? Did they do anything better than in the previous weeks, or was it more "well it was Rutgers"?
The Blackshirts played well. A pick 6 and another interception gave Rutgers a short field for a field goal. Rutgers scored on the opening drive thanks to an amazing 3rd and 9 butt catch. Otherwise the defense played a great game. I don't know why they kept 10 yards away from their receivers, but they owned the second half. They will only get better as they start trusting the 3-4 scheme, and get healthy.

Wilbon and Ozigbo ran well, and hard. Pierson-El had a huge 63 yard punt return and is looking better. Spielman look good but we need our receivers to heal up soon. Offensive line looked better which isn't saying much. Tanner Lee must look good in practice but when he gets out on the field... O'brien must not look good, otherwise they probably would have put him in for at least a drive or two..
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Awful, ugly performance from Nebraska. Both interceptions were Lee's fault. Protection was good. The first one looked like one of Armstrong's back foot bombs into double coverage. I don't understand why Riley refuses to give O'Brien even one series. Lee went 3-3 on the opening drive and then something like 3-12 at after that. It was bad.

I'm not sold on the defense yet. At least Diaco is getting better against inferior opponents though.

Meanwhile, Frost kicked the |expletive| out of Maryland today. I'm not sure he could get the talent at Nebraska to run his offense, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I was able to sort of follow it on ESPN, did they go for it on 4th and goal to get the third touchdown?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Huh, Ryan Leaf also played for Mike Riley.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I predicted a 20-14 NU victory on Wednesday and the 27-17 win went pretty much the way I expected it..

The NU defense played VERY well and in fact, since the 2nd half of the Oregon game, they’ve made much improvement.. It’s a young defense that starts only ONE senior. Bob Diaco has his defense playing better and improving every week..

Rutgers came into the game with a stout run defense and NU ran well in this game; especially in the 2nd half.. If it wasn’t for Tanner Lee throwing 2 interceptions which lead to 10 of Rutgers final 17 points, NU probably would have comfortably won this game 27-7 or 27-10..

Anywho, Mike Reilly lives to coach another week. We’ll see how they perform, on the road, this Friday night at Illinois...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska needs a quarterback that can actually run. One that's not an interception machine.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I like what Diaco is doing. He deliberatively rotates multiple positions keeping players fresh for the game, getting good game experience for players, and keeping them fresh for the long run. His enthusiasm for the game, and John Parrella's attitudes are really bringing back the Blackshirts. There are still injuries to heal, but I can see the defense coming together and pushing the offense to get better.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Around the rest of the Big Ten, there was quite a last-second thriller in Iowa City. Penn State beat Iowa 21-19. Michigan State lost to Notre Dame 38-18. Michigan beat Purdue 28-10. Indiana beat Georgia Southern 52-17. And UCF took down Maryland 38-10. Those are the big stories.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:I like what Diaco is doing. He deliberatively rotates multiple positions keeping players fresh for the game, getting good game experience for players, and keeping them fresh for the long run. His enthusiasm for the game, and John Parrella's attitudes are really bringing back the Blackshirts. There are still injuries to heal, but I can see the defense coming together and pushing the offense to get better.
I agree- Diaco played this game without 2 LB’s and his best corner (after he was kicked out for targeting).. I’m impressed as well. They just need to get over the hump and win this road game against the Illini Friday night...

Ciao..LiO..Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Keeping in mind that the offenses faced were Northern Illinois and Rutgers is important.
No posts exist for this topic
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

The odds makers have Nebraska favored by 6 1/2 points Friday night. In reality Nebraska has no better then a 50/50 chance of winning Friday. Illinois is a good bet getting 6 1/2 points.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:Keeping in mind that the offenses faced were Northern Illinois and Rutgers is important.
And the 2nd half vs Oregon...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

What have ye?

I have Nebraska pulling out a low scoring heart stopper at Illinois. Nothing more than Illinois has a certain recent history with us.

Nebraska 17-14

Scratch that, I forgot to account for the pick-six and the short field. Make that Nebraska 27-24
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote:What have ye?

I have Nebraska pulling out a low scoring heart stopper at Illinois. Nothing more than Illinois has a certain recent history with us.

Nebraska 17-14

Scratch that, I forgot to account for the pick-six and the short field. Make that Nebraska 27-24
Tanner throws one more pick six and the the only pro football team hes ever going to play on is the Omaha Beef. :oops:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:What have ye?

Nebraska 17-14

Been going back and forth on this one.. But in the end, I believe NU will pull out a gritty, not so pretty win..

The Illinois defense gave up over 400 yards rushing last week. I think the Huskers will minimize the mistake potential of Tanner Lee by committing to run the football..And keep the Tanner Lee pass attempts to no more than 15-18.. The Husker defense is still banged up, especially at Linebacker.. But I have a sense they’ll continue to improve..

The NU fan in me predicts NU-23 Illinois-13...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I saw that South Dakota State #4 is playing at Youngstown #5 this weekend. The article also mentioned that Pelini had been in some controversy because of a player in brought on the team.

https://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-defends- ... 1797617229

Youngstown State football coach Bo Pelini has spent the last week explaining his decision to allow Ma’Lik Richmond—a former high school football player found guilty of rape in juvenile court in the Steubenville, Ohio, case—to walk on to the team this winter.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Speaking of FAKE NEWS! Am I the only one that does not know anybody that is mad the Husker game is on a Friday Night. Somebody remind me again why we should be mad that we are lucky enough to get a rare FRIDAY NIGHT GAME on national TV. Could somebody explain to me why the FAKE NEWS and others can so easily see that it was an asinine idea to take Nebraska off national TV on Black Friday but to take Nebraska off National TV on any other Friday is a good idea. What a bunch of B.S. I'm glad we get to watch the game tonight and its great to be on national TV. There I said it.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Speaking of FAKE NEWS! Am I the only one that does not know anybody that is mad the Husker game is on a Friday Night. Somebody remind me again why we should be mad that we are lucky enough to get a rare FRIDAY NIGHT GAME on national TV. Could somebody explain to me why the FAKE NEWS and others can so easily see that it was an asinine idea to take Nebraska off national TV on Black Friday but to take Nebraska off National TV on any other Friday is a good idea. What a bunch of B.S. I'm glad we get to watch the game tonight and its great to be on national TV. There I said it.
The athletic department backpedalled from moving the Black Friday game, I suspect we' continue playing on that day.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I don't think it's any insult to play on Friday. Plenty of top programs play Wednesday through Friday.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Keeping in mind that the offenses faced were Northern Illinois and Rutgers is important.
And the 2nd half vs Oregon...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
After Oregon went into nap mode?

Also, I think we've finally found an OLine worse than Nebraska's, it's in Illinois.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Feel good win.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Most everything looked good. Morgan Jr. had some disappointing drops which need to be figured out before next weekend. But for the most part this is a good win to have with an extra day of preparation for the game that matters most. Let's go.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I knew Nebraska would win. That was never in doubt.

On another note: Why was this game played on a Friday? Fridays are for high school football, Saturdays are for college and Sundays are for the NFL.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It’s kind of refreshing too watch an NU game where they play so well, you know the game is over at halftime..

I know, I know- It’s only Illinois..but they are in the Big !0 Conference and on the schedule. I also realize Illinois is not Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin or even Iowa.. But what I do know, is that right now, NU is 2-0 in the Big 10.. And minimize it you may, but NU’s defense has now played 14 consecutive quarters of good football..

The Huskers ran the ball well, Tanner Lee avoided the big interceptions (although there were a couple of throws that could have been picked off that weren’t)..

Add it all up- NU- 28 Illinois- 6.. I’ll take it..

Now real conference test #1 starts next Saturday in Lincoln. Call me crazy (I probably already am).. But I feel pretty good about that game right now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:I knew Nebraska would win. That was never in doubt.

On another note: Why was this game played on a Friday? Fridays are for high school football, Saturdays are for college and Sundays are for the NFL.
I'll tell you what I think. Televised football in general can't compete whatsoever with Friday. There's high school football for the parents and kids, and night life for the young. 90% of people have other things to do on Friday. So, whoever looks at the schedule considers the games that HAVE to happen on Saturday. Fox, ESPN, CBS, and ABC have a limited number of slots and they try their best to schedule the marquee matchups.

After the big guys get their pickings, it goes down to the secondary networks. They decide which left over games are their best to cover. At a certain point they run out of room, and move games to other days instead of not airing them at all. For Fridays they choose the teams that have the best fan following; i.e. Nebraska. Few football programs can generate the views to justify airing a Friday night game.

I grew up following the Huskers post glory days and I rarely remember a game being aired prior to their fourth or fifth game. So to me a Friday night game is just a testament to how the various networks have met the demand for football. The game that we watched tonight would have been another game we'd have to listen to on the radio in years past. We as Huskers fans have been nothing but spoiled since they joined the Big10.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:It’s kind of refreshing too watch an NU game where they play so well, you know the game is over at halftime..

I know, I know- It’s only Illinois..but they are in the Big !0 Conference and on the schedule. I also realize Illinois is not Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin or even Iowa.. But what I do know, is that right now, NU is 2-0 in the Big 10.. And minimize it you may, but NU’s defense has now played 14 consecutive quarters of good football..

The Huskers ran the ball well, Tanner Lee avoided the big interceptions (although there were a couple of throws that could have been picked off that weren’t)..

Add it all up- NU- 28 Illinois- 6.. I’ll take it..

Now real conference test #1 starts next Saturday in Lincoln. Call me crazy (I probably already am).. But I feel pretty good about that game right now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Wisconsin is GOOD. Their offensive line is good, allowing them to run with great success. Their run game is successful, allowing them to pass relatively rarely and with success. Their defense is good, allowing their offense to chunk away at the clock. Honestly, Wisconsin is doing everything a Husker fan wishes the Huskers were doing.

Having said that, I'm feeling pretty good too. The Huskers finally showed that maybe they aren't a total train-wreck. I hardly arm-chair coached at all tonight. This win gave me some hope and I will be totally satisfied if this particular team can hang with Wisconsin. I'll hold off on making a prediction, but as of right now, I think this game will be surprisingly close.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Maybe it'll go into overtime again like last year? :lol:

Just kidding. I don't think it will.

That's one thing Nebraska never did with Oklahoma or Texas–Go into overtime against them.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

mrsticka wrote:Maybe it'll go into overtime again like last year? :lol:

Just kidding. I don't think it will.

That's one thing Nebraska never did with Oklahoma or Texas–Go into overtime against them.
Well there was that overtime.........way back in 1978 when Nebraska was lucky enough to eek out a regular season 17-14 win against the undefeated Oklahoma Sooners only to find out that we had to play them again in the Orange Bowl on New years Day.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Kinda interesting to think that if Tanner Lee wasn't the second coming of Uncle Rico (Napoleon Dynamite...), the mood in Huskerland would be very different. That said, they finished off two teams they should have beaten handily...keeping in mind a team of Brad, Cowboy, and Coyote would beat Rutgers and Illinois by 3 TDs and that's if they were blindfolded. That has to give them some confidence, I'd think, going into the next few games.

I'll get the popcorn for Wisconsin and Ohio State.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:keeping in mind a team of Brad, Cowboy, and Coyote would beat Rutgers and Illinois by 3 TDs and that's if they were blindfolded. That has to give them some confidence, I'd think, going into the next few games.

I'll get the popcorn for Wisconsin and Ohio State.
LOL.. Well..Brad, Coyote and yours truly are a team that would strike fear into the heart of even the Alabama Crimson Tide, so duh :;): ..

Comedy aside, next week is definite a 2 bag of popcorn game. Husker win or blow out loss, it will be interesting indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!