Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:Thy doom is nigh if they don't get this next coaching hire correct.
I’ve been saying that since Solich was fired in 2003..

Right now, Husker football has fallen to the Indiana/Purdue/Minnesota level. Considering the perch Nebraska football once occupied, it doesn’t get much worse than our present reality...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:My gut says 58-17, but my merciful heart says 48-24
I predicted 45-21. So I’m right there with you in the Husker mercy dept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

$19.99 tix listing on StubHub. $15 or less by tomorrow with sh!tty weather forecast for tomorrow?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The only hope I hold going into this game is that Ohio State isn't as strong as they seem. I only say this because their schedule has been very cup-cake-y outside of Oklahoma.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

63-6?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

14-0 and still 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Riley may not survive this game, let alone the season, if this continues...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

28-0 8:20 left in the half.
NU shows no signs of being able to stop OSU,
and they only have 1 first down.
Pathetic.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Bend and fracture tonight. That's at least 5 straight quarters in which Ohio State has not punted against Nebraska.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:28-0 8:20 left in the half.
NU shows no signs of being able to stop OSU,
and they only have 1 first down.
Pathetic.
About sums it up. Pack your bags Mike Reilly and get the moving van ready on Monday.. You’re out!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I have never seen a worse Nebraska team, including 2007. Wonder if Riley lasts the year?
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, a 56-14 NU debacle in Lincoln.. Not surprising..

This football team is a train wreck. It probably won’t happen, but like I stated at halftime, get the moving van ready on Monday Mike Reilly- You’re OUT.. Eventually, he will be anyway...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Busguy2010 wrote:56-14
This marks the first time I ever perfectly predicted the outcome of a game, regrettably at the misfortune of my Huskers... At least they played? This has to be rock bottom... Right?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:It probably won’t happen, but like I stated at halftime, get the moving van ready on Monday Mike Reilly- You’re OUT.. Eventually, he will be anyway...
The search is definitely on regardless if he stays the rest of the year or not.

The pressure is absolutely off his shoulders which is why I hope he is allowed to finish off the season... Provided he throws all caution to the wind. Get a few kicks out of the season and call it good.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Just about what I expected. A destroying by the Buckeyes.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Riley won't be fired tomorrow...or under Rimington's watch for that matter... Rimington said he's not there to fire anyone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The anti-Pelini experiment is likely over even if they run the season out undefeated.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

At least it wasn't 62-3 like last year. I know that's not much consolation, but at least they didn't give up 60+ points.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

MadMartin8 wrote:The fall of Husker football is fascinating. Didn't ever think it would fall to this level.
So? What is it? Poor coaching? Lack of skill on the players' part?

I don't know, I'm asking.

That was a depressing game to watch! :(
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omababe wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The fall of Husker football is fascinating. Didn't ever think it would fall to this level.

I'll be up front and honest, I don't really care too much. I'm not a Husker fan, and merely loosely follow them as they are a major 'thing' in the state (and it's one of my Alma Maters). That said, I would say it's mostly coaching. The skill on the field, from what I have seen, is not "get blown own at home by 40+" bad, they are probably not too far behind to Wisconsin talent wise, it's the lack of coaching that has been holding Nebraska back for a while.

I see lots of people cry "Oh Bo left the cupboard bare!", which is the same cry I heard when Callahan was struggling, and it's funny to me. It's not stocked with Ohio State calibre talent, it's not even top 10 talent, but to call it bare is disingenuous. You have a systemic problem of not having an identity on offense (besides being a Pick-6 machine and shooting yourself in the foot with bad line play?), and failed defensive coaching hire after failed defensive coaching hire (I still think if Callahan dumped Cosgrove, he would have been semi successful).

You have further problems, which I eluded to above, in that the only things that make Nebraska special on any level, the History and the History and the more History (everyone has facilities now and S&C), are starting to fade away. The kids growing up now do not know a good Nebraska, they know a Nebraska that gets their teeth kicked in every time they face a good team on national TV. You have one more coaching hire before it is too late, in my opinion (heck it might already be too late), so you better hope that the next one is a good one.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:

NU is not a good team. Considering the remainder of their schedule, they’ll be fortunate to end the season with 5 wins. Given, then, NU finishes the 2017 season at 5-7. Great NFL coach Bill Parcells always famously says “you are what your record says you are”, NU currently IS a middling, middle of the pack division 1 college football team playing in a power 5 conference. They live in the same neighborhood as Indiana, Minnesota and Purdue..

Talent wise, the Huskers have some talent. They have good WR’s, some good RB’s, about 3 pretty good players in their secondary (all of them were injured and did not play against Ohio St) and regardless of how maligned he is as a “pick 6 machine” a pretty good QB.. Where NU is sorely lacking in talent, is up front, on both sides of the ball. It’s football 101- NU MUST get better and heavily recruit talented offensive and defensive lineman, PERIOD. After getting pushed around up front the past 2 games by 2 of the 3 best teams in the Big 10, this is completely clear..

This brings us, finally, to coaching and culture. What does NU football want to be and what does it stand for moving forward? First, Nebraska MUST get this next AD hire right. Then the next head coach needs to be able to believe in and create a culture and identity ALL involved buy into. Urban Meyer is EXACTLY the type of head coach NU needs. Perhaps Scott Frost can be that guy. He’s certainly a solid, up and coming head coach..Who knows..

No, the cupboards aren’t bare.. But they’re not exactly stocked at NU either. Far from it. Get better up front. Hit a home run with the AD and Head Coach hire, and NU can get off the mat about as quickly as Penn St did. Remember, even 3 seasons ago, no one feared Penn St looming on their schedule.. And look at them now..

My arm chair, $.02 cent analysis as an lifelong NU fan and alumni...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/c ... 0c160.html

The NU system needs to take a reality pill and grasp that the money machine that was NU football is going to dry up. When tickets for this game could be bought for $15 each and there were people who got no takers at that price, you know you have no fat cat fan base to prop you up, no group of working stiffs who gripe about the seat taxes, but keep their season tickets anyway, and a bunch of fans who see this like a movie or an opera. It is simply a form of entertainment and if it isn't good (winning seasons), then they stop coming. They need to grasp that there is no other sport in the NU system that is going to bring in bucks to replace the flow from FB. They need to commit to the following:

1. The AD has to be a seriously talented and capable person.
2. The regents and the central admin need to determine just how many sports the NU system can support without burning students for activity fee support. If ISU, NWMSU, SDSU, and Wyoming are all giving instate tuition to our kids, why send a kid to NU where he will pay extra fees to prop up the girls bowling team?
3. The new AD and the other campus's ADs need to work together to not counter program and consider system wide Title IX compliance rather than campus wide. Lowering the overhead of compliance officers and hopefully allowing a better mix of sports so we can attract good athletes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska hires Bill Moos of Washington State as new director of athletics.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska hires Bill Moos of Washington State as new director of athletics.

A very, very good hire for the short and intermediate term.

Addendum: Seeing Nebraska fans fretting already over this hire makes me realize how stupid certain segments of that fan base are.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H:

“Bill Moos, a distinguished collegiate athletics leader who elevated programs at the University of Oregon and Washington State University to national prominence, has been named the University of Nebraska’s new director of athletics, Chancellor Ronnie Green announced today.”..

The link:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/washington ... f6f6d.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He will be a decent judge of Riley's fit in the system.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

So when exactly did Nebraska football as we once knew it "die"?

-The 2001 Colorado game?
-The Miami/Nebraska Rose Bowl 2002?
-The firing of Frank Solich?

People seem to be conflicted over the issue. Frankly, I'm just not sure.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Addendum: Seeing Nebraska fans fretting already over this hire makes me realize how stupid certain segments of that fan base are.
A lot of people on the internet can be complete idiots. There is also a segment of the fan base who will never be happy unless the team time warps back to the 1990's, because in their mind, college football offenses and defenses haven't changed in 20+ years.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
A lot of people on the internet can be complete idiots. There is also a segment of the fan base who will never be happy unless the team time warps back to the 1990's, because in their mind, college football offenses and defenses haven't changed in 20+ years.
Even more hysterical is the “oh my God, Mike Leach is coming to NU to be the next head coach now..”..

This “ain’t” going to happen.. But it’s funny to read the fan base hysteria, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Few random replies and thoughts here.

Bo did't leave the cupboard bare but he left some shelves empty. He had little or no recruiting strategy and this left huge gaps in some areas with plenty of talent in others. Problem with that is that football is a team sport. Sort of need all the shelves stocked.

The game that broke the back of the Huskers is the Nebr / Miami Bowl game IMO. We were fragile after the loss to Colorado. I do not think we should have ever been selected to play in that years championship game. Said it at the time. After the beat down by Miami the sprite was broke and has not been back. Wonder what would have been different if we had went to another bowl and, win or loose, had at close game.

It is amazing how many people that have never heard of Moos before Sunday can have an opinion strong enough in 4 hours or so to determine that this is a terrible hire. Pretty amazing and they must be super stars in their chosen carriers. Over time it will come into focus but check back in 2 - 3 years to have a real educated opinion.

I think this has the chance to be a good hire and here is what I base it on. If you go read the stuff that is out there Sunday since this has hit the public that is from the Wash State Media and fan base bulletin board, the majority of the people are upset that they are loosing him. That was never the case with SI. The fact that many of his current base hate to see him go tells me we may have done OK. For the Husker fan base to decide if this is a good or bad hire in a few hours is crazy.

Mike Leach to Nebraska - Never going to happen.

Current situation in Lincoln. 90% coaching. They are playing with their players or players they have worked with for three years know. Those that wanted to leave have. IMO there is talent on the field in Lincoln just no direction or coaching that is constant. Did Bo need to go , yep. We have goon too far the other direction with a soft, Mr Rodgers (sorry for those to young to know what that means) type HC and the team that takes on that mentality.

If the 1/2 time on field reporter at the game Sat night didn't mis-quote Mike R. too bad the statement that he made to the effect that we are not going to worry about the score should say enough, If the HC is not worried about a 35 point 1/2 time deficient who is.

If Dave Remington wants to be a longer term member of the UNL athletic department thous could set up nice. He says he wants to do two more years with the foundation (or something close to that from what I remember) and then likely move back to Nebraska. He moved back in two years and takes an associates type role. A couple years after that Moos retires and DR takes over for a 10 year run or so. Of course that is all out the window if this football program doesn't take an about face under Moos with or without a head coach change in the short term.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:The game that broke the back of the Huskers is the Nebr / Miami Bowl game IMO. We were fragile after the loss to Colorado. I do not think we should have ever been selected to play in that years championship game.
Agreed. What I can't understand is how Colorado managed to upset Nebraska so massively. They did something right. Surely, Eric Crouch could've and should've been able to make one of his awesome touchdown runs against them?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:The game that broke the back of the Huskers is the Nebr / Miami Bowl game IMO. We were fragile after the loss to Colorado. I do not think we should have ever been selected to play in that years championship game.
Agreed. What I can't understand is how Colorado managed to upset Nebraska so massively. They did something right. Surely, Eric Crouch could've and should've been able to make one of his awesome touchdown runs against them?

No one had come close to doing this to the Huskers in years. Once the door was cracked open and the tide was turning the Huskers didn't know how to respond as much as anything the Buffs did.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I will say this...it was nice having the tickets so cheap for the Husker game vs Ohio St. I got to take my daughter to our first game. We got tickets on the 10yd line near the tunnel in row 7 for only $25 each. They were great seats. Wish the product on the field at least seemed to care. Overall, we had a great time even though the game was terrible.

The view from our seats:

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice

YOu are not the only one that I know of that got to take someone to their first game. Maybe that will be the hidden gem in all this. The next generation of fans may have a few people introduced to the game time experience in the stadium.

I also know of two sets of two people that had people just had them tickets outside the stadium on Saturday. They are not the type that were there looking for freebie's either. Sure they were looking for a good price but in no time at all after holding up a couple of fingers they had tickets handed to them with from people that didn't want anything.
skinzfan23 wrote:I will say this...it was nice having the tickets so cheap for the Husker game vs Ohio St. I got to take my daughter to our first game. We got tickets on the 10yd line near the tunnel in row 7 for only $25 each. They were great seats. Wish the product on the field at least seemed to care. Overall, we had a great time even though the game was terrible.

The view from our seats:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good point about maybe this being the silver lining in the situation. I actually grew up hating the Huskers and being a huge Hawkeye fan. I moved to eastern Iowa in 2009 for 3 years and then realized that I actually missed hearing about Nebraska. I never change sports teams, but this is the one exception. I know find myself routing for Nebraska and hoping that Iowa loses.

I can say even before being a Husker fan at all, I had always wanted to attend a game at Memorial stadium b/c it was obvious that they have a great fan base. Now that I have, I can say that I want to go back. It is truly amazing that the stadium was almost completely full for a game that they were predicted to lose by the largest margin at home in forever. In comparison to Iowa, they couldn't even fill their stadium for a prime-time game vs #4 Penn St.

So you may be right. This unfortunate series of events for the Huskers may have opened the door to allow another generation of fans to now exist. Getting to attend a game in person makes you feel a closer attachment to the program and continue to care and support it. Speaking for myself, I had never attended a Creighton game until they moved to the CenturyLink Center. I rarely even followed them. After attending a game there, I knew that I wanted to go back. Now, I have been a season ticket holder for the past 10 years.

To wrap this all up....I still think there are many good days coming for Nebraska in football. Go Huskers!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice story

My Big 10 team prior to the Huskers joining has been Iowa for a number of years. I lived in Cedar Rapids IA for 10 years when we were in diff conf and come to follow the Hawkeyes and attend a number of games, both football and basketball.

I still follow Iowa and while I am not the fan I was I still do not mind seeing some success from them as long as it doesn't come at the expense of Nebraska. Problem is recently it has. I know that following both teams, and Iowa at a lot lower investment level, is deemed wrong by many so be it.
I hope for the days to come when the Huskers routinely pond the Hawkeyes on the football field and then Iowa can win much of the rest.

There is nothing like being in the stadium on game day. Having also been in Iowa's stadium a number of times it is nice and all but doesn't come close to the game day experience in Lincoln. The one stadium that I have been to that has as good or better game day experience IMO is Texas A&M by the way so I am not a total homer!!!! There are of course many more that I have not been to.....

skinzfan23 wrote:Good point about maybe this being the silver lining in the situation. I actually grew up hating the Huskers and being a huge Hawkeye fan. I moved to eastern Iowa in 2009 for 3 years and then realized that I actually missed hearing about Nebraska. I never change sports teams, but this is the one exception. I know find myself routing for Nebraska and hoping that Iowa loses.

I can say even before being a Husker fan at all, I had always wanted to attend a game at Memorial stadium b/c it was obvious that they have a great fan base. Now that I have, I can say that I want to go back. It is truly amazing that the stadium was almost completely full for a game that they were predicted to lose by the largest margin at home in forever. In comparison to Iowa, they couldn't even fill their stadium for a prime-time game vs #4 Penn St.

So you may be right. This unfortunate series of events for the Huskers may have opened the door to allow another generation of fans to now exist. Getting to attend a game in person makes you feel a closer attachment to the program and continue to care and support it. Speaking for myself, I had never attended a Creighton game until they moved to the CenturyLink Center. I rarely even followed them. After attending a game there, I knew that I wanted to go back. Now, I have been a season ticket holder for the past 10 years.

To wrap this all up....I still think there are many good days coming for Nebraska in football. Go Huskers!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Lost in the debacle with OSU and the new AD is the article in the OWH yesterday showing NU is getting $51 million this year from the Big 10 and with the escalators it's going up in years to come. Judging from the article, the Big 10 is running about $10 million a year more than the SEC. Was glad to see they are going to put significant upgrades into North and South Stadiums.

Greg
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:

No one had come close to doing this to the Huskers in years. Once the door was cracked open and the tide was turning the Huskers didn't know how to respond as much as anything the Buffs did.
Makes me wish I lived in a parallel universe where Nebraska wasn't upset by Colorado that year. Instead, they finished the 2001 season undefeated, went to the Big 12 Championship game and won. Then they went to the Rose Bowl and actually played their butts off.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:I will say this...it was nice having the tickets so cheap for the Husker game vs Ohio St. I got to take my daughter to our first game. We got tickets on the 10yd line near the tunnel in row 7 for only $25 each. They were great seats. Wish the product on the field at least seemed to care. Overall, we had a great time even though the game was terrible.

The view from our seats:

Aside from the on the field debacle, nice pictures and thank you for sharing your experience :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Purdue is favored by 6 points Saturday night. Nebraska may not win another game this season.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Purdue is favored by 6 points Saturday night. Nebraska may not win another game this season.
Nebraska is 3-0 against Penn State since joining the BigTen, the only interesting bit I have to offer.

The other remaining games are all kind of toss-ups when I look at them (based off series history only). I don't follow college football really close, I've just heard Purdue is better than normal, Minnesota has an enthusiastic first year head coach, Northwestern is good at winning in Lincoln, and the Huskers are even with Iowa on Black Friday. Not a lot to look forward to, just let the cards fall and hopefully don't end up 3-9.