Why Midwest Regional And Not North?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Why Midwest Regional And Not North?

Post by mrsticka »

March Madness is coming up and we all know what that means. But anyway, there are 4 regionals: East, West, South and Midwest. Why is it the Midwest regional and not the North regional?

I'm just asking a valid question here. I've never understood this.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Why Midwest Regional And Not North?

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:March Madness is coming up and we all know what that means. But anyway, there are 4 regionals: East, West, South and Midwest. Why is it the Midwest regional and not the North regional?

I'm just asking a valid question here. I've never understood this.
The four regions represent an equitable distribution of schools. There just is not enough population of (good basketball) schools in what would be considered a North Region. More schools in the Midwest Region actually are geographically in the Midwest. In fact if they did create another Regional Committee it would be taken out of the schools in the South. This is what was proposed last summer:

East Region – America East, Atlantic 10, Atlantic Coast, Colonial, Metro Atlantic and Northeast conferences with the Ivy and Patriot leagues.

Midwest Region – Big East, Big Ten, Mid-American and Missouri Valley conferences with the Horizon and Summit leagues.

South Region – Big 12, Ohio Valley, Southland, Southwestern Athletic and Sun Belt conferences with Conference USA.

Southeast Region – American Athletic, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Mid-Eastern, Southeastern and Southern conferences.

West Region – Big Sky, Big West, Mountain West, Pac-12, West Coast and Western Athletic conferences.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

To put it in a visual... Here is a map of the schools that made it to a recent NCAA Basketball Tournament:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 510 times
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Creighton wasn't one of them? Stagburn it!