2017 College World Series

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

2017 College World Series

Post by choke »

My brother-in-law has been on the waiting list a couple of decades for CWS season tickets. He was offered them after moving up 600 spots on the list this year. He moved up 600 spots in one year. By not moving in the outfield wall at TD, it's going to cost the city way more in the long run.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: 2017 College World Series

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:My brother-in-law has been on the waiting list a couple of decades for CWS season tickets. He was offered them after moving up 600 spots on the list this year. He moved up 600 spots in one year. By not moving in the outfield wall at TD, it's going to cost the city way more in the long run.

Any idea what his number was. I have been on the list since 1999 and my number is in the low 700's
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This certainty spells doom for the CWS in Omaha. If only they would have made the field into a hitter's paradise a la the days of Gorillaball, the fandom wouldn't have decreased by 600 season ticket sales. Best send it to Indianapolis or Oklahoma City this year and save time.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:This certainty spells doom for the CWS in Omaha. If only they would have made the field into a hitter's paradise a la the days of Gorillaball, the fandom wouldn't have decreased by 600 season ticket sales. Best send it to Indianapolis or Oklahoma City this year and save time.
Don't we have it for a number of decades yet? Frankly, not a fan of gorillaball. I like a more balanced game where defense is more than watching balls fly over your head. I rather like the style of play in the CWS. I would really like it if they made them bat with wood like the pros.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think it is less an indictment of the product on the field and more of just a sign of the times. Season tickets for every sport coast to coast are becoming a tougher and tougher sell.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:My brother-in-law has been on the waiting list a couple of decades for CWS season tickets. He was offered them after moving up 600 spots on the list this year. He moved up 600 spots in one year. By not moving in the outfield wall at TD, it's going to cost the city way more in the long run.

Any idea what his number was. I have been on the list since 1999 and my number is in the low 700's
I texted and he just replied that he was in the 600's. Sorry, I couldn't be more specific.

As far as "gorillaball" goes, I don't want to see 20-run games myself but the problem with TD is that the outfielders always play shallow. There is never the threat of the long ball. Even hard hit balls die immediately in the outfield. That is a huge problem. Nothing more boring than watching a batter making good contact, only to have the ball make it halfway to the wall. And there is no way that is fun for the college kids either. Something has to change and it won't be the weather in Omaha. Hot, humid and wind out of the south; right on cue for the CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I texted and he just replied that he was in the 600's. Sorry, I couldn't be more specific.

As far as "gorillaball" goes, I don't want to see 20-run games myself but the problem with TD is that the outfielders always play shallow. There is never the threat of the long ball. Even hard hit balls die immediately in the outfield. That is a huge problem. Nothing more boring than watching a batter making good contact, only to have the ball make it halfway to the wall. And there is no way that is fun for the college kids either. Something has to change and it won't be the weather in Omaha. Hot, humid and wind out of the south; right on cue for the CWS.
Its actually been proven that higher humidity allows the ball the travel further than dry air. Humidity feels muggy so we call it "heavy" but I recently learned that the higher the humidity the less dense the air is.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:
choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Its actually been proven that higher humidity allows the ball the travel further than dry air. Humidity feels muggy so we call it "heavy" but I recently learned that the higher the humidity the less dense the air is.
That is interesting, so is it the southern wind and also that TD isn't up on a hill like the Blatt? More entertainment like developing Lot B would help attendance too, I think. Have to have something to do when baseball isn't being played. Contrary to what the Holland Center and Mecca think, surface parking lots aren't big attractions.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the wind is certainly a huge factor. I think the bats have been a big factor too.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:This certainty spells doom for the CWS in Omaha. If only they would have made the field into a hitter's paradise a la the days of Gorillaball, the fandom wouldn't have decreased by 600 season ticket sales. Best send it to Indianapolis or Oklahoma City this year and save time.
Don't we have it for a number of decades yet? Frankly, not a fan of gorillaball. I like a more balanced game where defense is more than watching balls fly over your head. I rather like the style of play in the CWS. I would really like it if they made them bat with wood like the pros.
I think you may have missed the blatant sarcasm, but yes, Omaha has it for another 20 something years.
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Idk how I feel about this. (I'm a seasonal CWS employee at a popular watering hole in the area)

Last year was a pretty disappointing year in terms of the schools in the field and attendance, but teams really lit up the box score compared to past years. I do agree that its not a hitter friendly park though, and everyone loves seeing home runs...

Now that we're 3 months and 2 days away, I'm ridiculously excited for CWS. Just gotta pray that the big powerhouse schools make it... LSU, Florida, South Carolina, TCU, Arizona.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ferris wheel will be back at this year's CWS; MECA board member pushes for free rides
The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority voted Tuesday to approve a $325,000 contract with Big Fun Inc. to bring back the Ferris wheel on the grass to the north of the CenturyLink Center.

But in a change from last year, board member Willy Theisen said he’d like to see rides offered for free rather than $5 per ride. The board made no decision about the price but asked President and CEO Roger Dixon to bring a recommendation to the next board meeting.

Dixon said the Ferris wheel will be placed on the western edge of the lawn to drive more traffic. Nearby food trucks will be moved closer to the street.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:

As it turns out, my brother-in-law went and got his seats today. The CWS opened up more sections to ticket holders. He was only able to get seats in the 300s section. I went the CWS website to see if I could get on the ticket list and they are still not allowing people to be added. So, business must still be good.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ferris Wheel rides will be $3 for kids 12 and under. Also Sunday, June 25th will be a free day, where anyone can ride the ferris wheel for free. There is also an option to purchase a book of 10 tickets for $20.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

What dates will the College World Series be?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:What dates will the College World Series be?
Word on the street is June 17 until whenever.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

mrsticka wrote:What dates will the College World Series be?
June 17-27/28, 2017
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay. :)

I haven't been to a game for the College World Series in a LONG time. I think the last time I went to one was back when Rosenblatt was still standing.

I've been to plenty of games at Rosenblatt, but just that one for the CWS, which I don't even remember.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have seen one small mention but not a lot of coverage on the beer and wine sales this year. The "pilot" last year of having sales throughout the stadium will continue as the norm for this run of the CWS.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I see weather forced the cancellation of the CWS opening ceremony. Stagburn it!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:I see weather forced the cancellation of the CWS opening ceremony. Stagburn it!
Well, when multiple Tornados are swirling around the metro, that tends to happen :yes: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I guess there is no defying mother nature, is there?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The opening ceremony was cancelled but the band and fireworks still happened. I was there before the storm and they started directing everyone to the CLink. My group thought it'd be better to go to the Hilton so they could grab some drinks while it blew through. Winds were ripping up their patio and sending chairs all over.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Overall I think a great starting weekend. The crowds were good and weather better than average.

Anybody going, I would advise getting there early. The new security procedures seem to be causing longer and slower lines to get into the stadium. We went Saturday afternoon and I would say it took twice as long as normal to get inside.

Was good to see both Saturday games lead off with homers in the first. Including one to dead center.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sad to see the opening ceremony cancelled as I was looking forward to going, but my neighborhood was the one where the EF2 tornado started so I am lucky that we don't have more damage than we do. Only lost our privacy fence, some shingles, patio furniture and our pool.

Hopefully I can make it to a few games this week.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sad to see the opening ceremony cancelled as I was looking forward to going, but my neighborhood was the one where the EF2 tornado started so I am lucky that we don't have more damage than we do. Only lost our privacy fence, some shingles, patio furniture and our pool.

Hopefully I can make it to a few games this week.

Glad you were OK. It was a bummer with the opening ceremonies. I did not realize they were going to proceed with the band and fireworks.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Interesting fact posted on one of the KETV Facebook pages earlier today. Today's elimination game between Fl St and CSF is the 1,000th CWS game to be played in Omaha. That really drives home the longevity that this series and Omaha have had.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I see Cal State has been eliminated.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:I see Cal State has been eliminated.
Yep. Third or forth time in a row they have went 2 and out I believe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

What no pictures of the man getting bodyslammed by security...haha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:What no pictures of the man getting bodyslammed by security...haha.
Nope, didn't catch that or the squirrel...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have not kept up, but,
We will have two Saturday games this year's,
Increasing the total attendance, and with great weather..
Anyone have 2017 attendance numbers?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I have not kept up, but,
We will have two Saturday games this year's,
Increasing the total attendance, and with great weather..
Anyone have 2017 attendance numbers?
Listed to some of the second game some yesterday. Don't know the #'s but during the coverage they said that the series was up somewhere to the + side of 18 K over last year.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I see that LSU upset Oregon State to advance to the Finals.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

LSU vs Florida for the best of 3 Champ series starting Monday night.

Great for Omaha and the series (IMO) to have baseball on Saturday. That is the way the schedule should be.

Anyone hear how the young boy is that got hit by the foul ball during the LSU / Org St game? I was listening to the game on the radio and it sounded like it was not a minor hit. Got hit in the head and it sounded like they took him out of the stands immediately.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From a KMTV story on Friday:
Through 11 games this year, TD Ameritrade Park has seen 246,320 fans walk through the gates. That's almost 18,000 more people than at this same time a year ago.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

And here are some more numbers from the World Herald today:
TV ratings are up. ESPN stated after the first weekend that its per-game average of live viewers (on TV and via online streaming services) was 923,000 — the best in six years. It was a 95 percent increase from 2016, according to ESPN.

More people are coming to the stadium, too. Through 14 games, 2017 has seen 28,021 more fans passing through the gates than in 2016. Presuming the per-game average (21,811) gets a boost from at least two large crowds for this week’s CWS finals, this year is likely to produce the third-best attendance performance since the ballpark opened in 2011.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Do we have Home Run numbers by chance? Be curious to see that stat with the "new" baseball.