Another Bid to host the Frozen Four at CenturyLink Center

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seems off that UNL is looking to host this and not UNO....

University of Nebraska athletic department bids to host Frozen Four at CenturyLink Center

http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/univers ... abf15.html
By Steve Beideck / World-Herald correspondent wrote:If NU’s bid is selected, the Division I men’s hockey championships would take place in Omaha at the CenturyLink Center sometime between 2019 and 2022.
By Steve Beideck / World-Herald correspondent wrote:One stipulation for hosting the Frozen Four is that the arena seat at least 18,000 spectators for hockey. That’s one reason Nebraska is not proposing to host the event at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, which seats between 15,000 and 16,000 for basketball, and likely fewer for hockey because of the larger floor space required.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Another Bid to host the Frozen Four at CenturyLink Center

Post by iamjacobm »

Does CLC even hold 18K for hockey?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Hate things like this...it just seems that UNL can't let UNO flourish in something they don't have. Always trying to one up! This is why I'm not that fond of the University of Nebraska administrations.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Does CLC even hold 18K for hockey?
Not quite. However I'm always amazed how they can squeeze in extra seats here and there when they need too.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Its listed at 17,100 for hockey on their website.

Granted basketball is listed at 18,320, although all of the top 10 crowds have been over this mark including the highest of 18,868.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Its listed at 17,100 for hockey on their website.

Granted basketball is listed at 18,320, although all of the top 10 crowds have been over this mark including the highest of 18,868.
Didn't they completely fill in the Bud Bar with portable seats last time the NCAA came to town?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Century Link Center can make 18,000 work for hockey...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Century Link Center can make 18,000 work for hockey...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I believe there was a time Wisconsin came to town that it was close to 18k?

As for why UNL, I have a strong suspicion that it is due to UNL being the flagship University of the Nebraska system more than anything.
No posts exist for this topic
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I don't like UNL or Lincoln as much as the next guy but it makes much more sense for them to bid than UNO. Creighton and UNL have a history with NCAA events and MECA. Creighton has the CWS, and NCAA Regionals and Finals, while UNL has had Wrestling and Volleyball. There is a familiarity with the 2 organizations and the NCAA hosting events and that will pay off rather than UNO who has not hosted a NCAA Division 1 championship ever and is probably understaffed and underfunded to do so.

Also I'm sure there is not a lot of good feelings between MECA and UNO right now and I'm sure it would not be in UNOs best interest to host a NCAA championship at a Venue they compete in the same market with while running a venue.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

As for why UNL, I have a strong suspicion that it is due to UNL being the flagship University of the Nebraska system more than anything.
On January 13, 2012, the largest crowd to ever watch a hockey game in Nebraska occurred when 16,138 fans attended the game between the University of Nebraska at Omaha and Minnesota-Duluth.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

More likely because UNL wants a big splash in Omaha to launch it's D1 team.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nah. I'd tend to agree that it's just because of UNL's larger administrative staff and better ability to put on an event such as this. I wouldn't be shocked if UNO even asked UNL to bid this. I'm sure when it comes to hockey, UNL would ask for some help from the hockey staff at UNO should they be awarded the tournament.

It's all one university at the end of the day. Outside of some playful ribbing on the field, I don't quite understand the UNO vs. UNL mentality. It's almost entirely a fan fabrication.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:I don't like UNL or Lincoln as much as the next guy but it makes much more sense for them to bid than UNO. Creighton and UNL have a history with NCAA events and MECA. Creighton has the CWS, and NCAA Regionals and Finals, while UNL has had Wrestling and Volleyball. There is a familiarity with the 2 organizations and the NCAA hosting events and that will pay off rather than UNO who has not hosted a NCAA Division 1 championship ever and is probably understaffed and underfunded to do so.

Also I'm sure there is not a lot of good feelings between MECA and UNO right now and I'm sure it would not be in UNOs best interest to host a NCAA championship at a Venue they compete in the same market with while running a venue.
Bingo.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Unlikely unless Trump does anything to Title IX. DONU's athletics are profitable but they can't print money.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Taco wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Unlikely unless Trump does anything to Title IX. DONU's athletics are profitable but they can't print money.
It would be quite funny to watch UNL struggle to compete in yet another Big 10 sport though, I hope they go for it.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

omaha79 wrote:nah. I'd tend to agree that it's just because of UNL's larger administrative staff and better ability to put on an event such as this. I wouldn't be shocked if UNO even asked UNL to bid this. I'm sure when it comes to hockey, UNL would ask for some help from the hockey staff at UNO should they be awarded the tournament.

It's all one university at the end of the day. Outside of some playful ribbing on the field, I don't quite understand the UNO vs. UNL mentality. It's almost entirely a fan fabrication.
UNL is getting pressure from the big ten to start hockey. They start this, and NET stops covering the Mavs, the media will start gushing over NU Hockey and how great the BIG is (even though it is pretty average). The fans will get pressured to buy tickets or lose their football tickets. Meanwhile UNO with it's money problems will recruit some forgettable budget coach and slide down the NCHC.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed wrote:
omaha79 wrote:nah. I'd tend to agree that it's just because of UNL's larger administrative staff and better ability to put on an event such as this. I wouldn't be shocked if UNO even asked UNL to bid this. I'm sure when it comes to hockey, UNL would ask for some help from the hockey staff at UNO should they be awarded the tournament.

UNL is getting pressure from the big ten to start hockey. They start this, and NET stops covering the Mavs, the media will start gushing over NU Hockey and how great the BIG is (even though it is pretty average). The fans will get pressured to buy tickets or lose their football tickets. Meanwhile UNO with it's money problems will recruit some forgettable budget coach and slide down the NCHC.
People have been saying this for years. I, frankly, don't buy it. I can't picture UNL starting more sports in a climate where the university system is struggling financially. It's bad form, if nothing else (even though UNL's sports budget is separate from the main budget). Also, why would UNL start hockey when they've frankly sucked at every major men's team sport for over a decade. Football, basketball, and baseball have struggled to remain relevant. None have won a conference title since 2005. Why add more mouths to feed? Why add another sport you're unlikely to succeed in?

There is only so much booster and ticket money to go around...even down there. Why possibly sacrifice some attendance for basketball for hockey?

It doesn't make sense and people have been saying it's "imminent" for years, but nothing ever happens.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Hope you are correct. It would be a serious blow to UNO's program if they ever started it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

People have been saying this for years. I, frankly, don't buy it. I can't picture UNL starting more sports in a climate where the university system is struggling financially. It's bad form, if nothing else (even though UNL's sports budget is separate from the main budget). Also, why would UNL start hockey when they've frankly sucked at every major men's team sport for over a decade. Football, basketball, and baseball have struggled to remain relevant. None have won a conference title since 2005. Why add more mouths to feed? Why add another sport you're unlikely to succeed in?

There is only so much booster and ticket money to go around...even down there. Why possibly sacrifice some attendance for basketball for hockey?

It doesn't make sense and people have been saying it's "imminent" for years, but nothing ever happens.
I have agree. I just don't see UNL diving into another D1 sport until progress is made with the football program being relevant nationally again.. The baketball program is quite literally a disaster right now..

I'd be quite surprised to see UNL commit to D1 hockey...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Its listed at 17,100 for hockey on their website.

Didn't they completely fill in the Bud Bar with portable seats last time the NCAA came to town?
Yes, the bud bowl opening had portable seats. Here's a crop of a pano looking at where the Bud Bowl usually is from the last time the NCAA tourney was in town.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

I have agree. I just don't see UNL diving into another D1 sport until progress is made with the football program being relevant nationally again.. The baketball program is quite literally a disaster right now..

I'd be quite surprised to see UNL commit to D1 hockey...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I think UNL will have ice hockey (men's and women's) within 10 years. The Big 10 wants more than 6 of it's schools to field hockey teams. To me there is very little doubt UNL hockey will become a reality.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

We will see, but it simply doesn't make sense for UNL. maybe if they could drop several non-revenue sports like gymnastics. If they add ice hockey, they are going to have to add women's sports to compensate too. Even with some conference TV dollars coming in, it doesn't automatically make hockey a revenue sport. Given the size of the school, UNL has a large offering of sports...larger than many other football factory type schools like Texas. Then, consider the amount of resources UNL has at its disposal vs. a school like Texas. College football remains an arms race. UNL would be silly to add more mouths to feed unless it was an absolute guarantee that said sport was going to be a revenue producer instead of a sport that needs to be subsidized. Hockey will always be in the red at a school like UNL. UNL should be focused on making football relevant again, ensuring basketball isn't a dumpster fire, and that baseball isn't lost in the wilderness.

We've been hearing for at least 10 years that UNL adding hockey was imminent...but it hasn't happened. Maybe one day it will, but I doubt it. Just because the Big Ten wants more hockey teams in their conference doesn't mean it makes financial sense for UNL unless the conference is willing to help subsidize the cost of operating the team, and you know that will never happen...not could really happen.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The women's sport they would add is hockey. There are reasons you are hearing UNL hockey as more likely now than 10 years ago. The first is that NU is now in the Big 10 and a few years after joining, the Big 10 added hockey. You also now have a ice rink (Breslow) owned by UNL that is perfect as a practice sheet, and PBA which is ready for hockey. I was down in Lincoln coaching in a hockey tournament at the end of February and I heard about UNL hockey a ton. They were definitely speaking in term of when, not if.

I sill think we are about 5 years away but I fully believe it will come to fruition. And it will be a good thing for UNO.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'm willing to bet we're 10+ years out of a major addition to UNL Men's sports. Just because people are talking about it, doesn't mean that it is imminent.

That said, I'm still fully supportive of it. Watching the meltdowns on Twitter after being blown out by Ohio State and Wisconsin in yet another sport would be quite entertaining.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My money is on more than 5 less than 10 years.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:The women's sport they would add is hockey. There are reasons you are hearing UNL hockey as more likely now than 10 years ago. The first is that NU is now in the Big 10 and a few years after joining, the Big 10 added hockey. You also now have a ice rink (Breslow) owned by UNL that is perfect as a practice sheet, and PBA which is ready for hockey. I was down in Lincoln coaching in a hockey tournament at the end of February and I heard about UNL hockey a ton. They were definitely speaking in term of when, not if.

I sill think we are about 5 years away but I fully believe it will come to fruition. And it will be a good thing for UNO.

Greg
Women's hockey would be another expensive non-revenue sport to add. The cost on that would be quite high.

I'm more inclined to think it will be 10+ years as others have suggested. We will see though. It's all speculation. Even if it's being talked about in hockey circles, it doesn't mean it's imminent either unless there is tangible inside information to back it up. People are just speculating because they think the B1G wants it. It doesn't mean it makes sense for UNL.

It'll be very interesting to see what ends up happening in basketball, baseball, and football. UNL is one bad season away from having to make 3 coaching hires. None of them are on truly solid footing. Miles could be gone after next year. Erstad continues to just tread water. The big one, Riley, is a 2nd 5-7 season away from being gone...and if he's gone, Eichorst is gone as well. No doubt, he's tied to Riley. UNL could be spending millions in the next couple of years buying out coaching salaries. You can almost feel the tension surrounding football. It's tangible. We are reaching a couple make or break seasons for this regime. Why would they want to get into the hockey business as well?
Last edited by omaha79 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I too think it will happen. If they get a bid to be the host of the Frozen Four I would not be one bit surprised of the announcement coincided with some part of the process to get or host it in Omaha. In fact if they are announced to get to host I would take that as a sign that it is more than likely and there is some back room info exchanged that would help with getting the bid and adding NCAA hockey team(s)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:I too think it will happen. If they get a bid to be the host of the Frozen Four I would not be one bit surprised of the announcement coincided with some part of the process to get or host it in Omaha. In fact if they are announced to get to host I would take that as a sign that it is more than likely and there is some back room info exchanged that would help with getting the bid and adding NCAA hockey team(s)

Or...it's a movement by the University of Nebraska system (which includes UNO, UNL as partners), the state of Nebraska, and the City of Omaha to get another top tier event in the state. In order to do so, they are putting the flagship university of the state system on the invitation boilerplate.

Not saying backroom deals and subterfuge don't happen, especially in major college athletics, but I think we're looking a bit too deep at this one.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I too think it will happen. If they get a bid to be the host of the Frozen Four I would not be one bit surprised of the announcement coincided with some part of the process to get or host it in Omaha. In fact if they are announced to get to host I would take that as a sign that it is more than likely and there is some back room info exchanged that would help with getting the bid and adding NCAA hockey team(s)

Or...it's a movement by the University of Nebraska system (which includes UNO, UNL as partners), the state of Nebraska, and the City of Omaha to get another top tier event in the state. In order to do so, they are putting the flagship university of the state system on the invitation boilerplate.

Not saying backroom deals and subterfuge don't happen, especially in major college athletics, but I think we're looking a bit too deep at this one.

Come on, you know from reading here that UNO and UNL don't get along and they would never being doing anything in concert to help the greater whole. :;):
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Come on, you know from reading here that UNO and UNL don't get along and they would never being doing anything in concert to help the greater whole. :;):
True....although I think everyone loses sight of UNMC, those sneaky doctors have been trying to launch their own football team for years. I suspect within 5 to 10 years that UNMC will have a major college sporting program.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

True....although I think everyone loses sight of UNMC, those sneaky doctors have been trying to launch their own football team for years. I suspect within 5 to 10 years that UNMC will have a major college sporting program.
With the use of Blades you would think they would go after a Hockey team first. Of course if it is Football as you predict I am sure they will really cut it up on the field.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

With the use of Blades you would think they would go after a Hockey team first. Of course if it is Football as you predict I am sure they will really cut it up on the field.
UNMC wont do sports. They tried football already and moved on.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:
Greg S wrote:The women's sport they would add is hockey. There are reasons you are hearing UNL hockey as more likely now than 10 years ago. The first is that NU is now in the Big 10 and a few years after joining, the Big 10 added hockey. You also now have a ice rink (Breslow) owned by UNL that is perfect as a practice sheet, and PBA which is ready for hockey. I was down in Lincoln coaching in a hockey tournament at the end of February and I heard about UNL hockey a ton. They were definitely speaking in term of when, not if.

Greg
Women's hockey would be another expensive non-revenue sport to add. The cost on that would be quite high.

I'm more inclined to think it will be 10+ years as others have suggested. We will see though. It's all speculation. Even if it's being talked about in hockey circles, it doesn't mean it's imminent either unless there is tangible inside information to back it up. People are just speculating because they think the B1G wants it. It doesn't mean it makes sense for UNL.

It'll be very interesting to see what ends up happening in basketball, baseball, and football. UNL is one bad season away from having to make 3 coaching hires. None of them are on truly solid footing. Miles could be gone after next year. Erstad continues to just tread water. The big one, Riley, is a 2nd 5-7 season away from being gone...and if he's gone, Eichorst is gone as well. No doubt, he's tied to Riley. UNL could be spending millions in the next couple of years buying out coaching salaries. You can almost feel the tension surrounding football. It's tangible. We are reaching a couple make or break seasons for this regime. Why would they want to get into the hockey business as well?

Erstad is safe. They just went to the NCAA's last year. Nothing to happen to him anytime soon.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Greg

Erstad is safe. They just went to the NCAA's last year. Nothing to happen to him anytime soon.

Greg
I don't think NU's ultimate goal for baseball is to be a team that finishes 3rd or 4th in the B1G every season and makes an NCAA Tournament once every 2-3 years, but goes 0-2 or 1-2 every time.

The fact that UNL hasn't won a B1G regular season regular season or tournament title...or conference title of any kind since 2005 is an embarrassment. Erstad shares 5 of those 11 consecutive failures. But, unlike Anderson's years spent mostly in the ultra competitive Big XII, Erstad's failures have come in the B1G where the competition is certainly a step down even in the leagues best years.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Big 10 is on the rise in baseball. That being said, it's a major step down from the Big 12. It's also tougher to recruit to NU now that we are in a lesser baseball league.

I do think there is plenty of room for improvement though. I just don't believe Erstad is one bad season from being fired.....

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Omaha apparently misses the cut.
The bids to be awarded are for the years 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. The venues, in that order, are believed to be in Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, and Pittsburgh. Next year's event (2018) will be held in St. Paul, Minn.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... e_of_sites
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its Great we got the NCAA Volleyball and NCAA Basketball tournaments, but check this out. North Dakota Hockey is hosting NCAA Hockey in Back to Back years in Two different States!

2018 in Sioux Falls, 2019 in Fargo!

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am guessing Baxter can't host a regional b/c its home ice? That seems about the right size venue they are looking for.