2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: Midtown Crossings

2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby Omaha_Gabe » Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 am

Any Clue?

WOWT 6 News
MECA will be making what it calls a "major sports announcement" Monday at 11:30 am. Any guesses as to what it might be?

Mr.Nuke
Library Board
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Sports Announcement

Postby Mr.Nuke » Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am

Omaha_Gabe wrote:Any Clue?

The 2016 Swim Trials were announced on 4/27/2013. Today would be roughly equivalent to that date for 2020.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Sports Announcement

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 am

Mr.Nuke wrote:
Omaha_Gabe wrote:Any Clue?

The 2016 Swim Trials were announced on 4/27/2013. Today would be roughly equivalent to that date for 2020.

I would say that is a pretty good guess.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Sports Announcement

Postby Greg S » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am

My guess was going to be swim trials as well. I've never been but it is a fantastic event for Omaha.


Greg

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Sports Announcement

Postby Linkin5 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

Gotta be swim trials, USA swimming has a surprise announcement too.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby iamjacobm » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 am

They are back baby!!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 am

iamjacobm wrote:They are back baby!!

Unbelievable that we are hosting for the 4th consecutive time!!!

Also important to note that the CenturyLink Center is going to host the NCAA tournament that March and NCAA volleyball final in December.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 pm

2020 is going to be HUGE for the City of Omaha.

How exciting!
No posts exist for this topic

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Sports Announcement

Postby Greg S » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Yep and it's confirmed. Such a good event for the city and CenturyLink Center. Great to have all those people in from out of town for an extended period.

Greg

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6415
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 pm

And back without the sponsorship of Mutual of Omaha..

Imagine that :) ..

This is truly a testimony to Omaha being one of the premier event cities in the US..

Great job :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby OmahaFan » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Truly a amazing day for the City of Omaha to host such a amazing event! It show's that Omaha is becoming a player in swimming Nationally. Hopefully we can maybe tack on 2024 after 2020 is finished? One can only hope! Great job Omaha! Proud to live here! Maybe Omaha can pitch itself has the permanent place for the Swim trials? :cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banger:

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:48 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Maybe Omaha can pitch itself has the permanent place for the Swim trials? :cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banger:

Probably not going to hurt that the NE Multisports Complex will be open by then.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21074
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby Coyote » Mon May 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Overlapping with the CWS... That will be one heck of a summer...
Image

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby Greg S » Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:And back without the sponsorship of Mutual of Omaha..

Imagine that :) ..

This is truly a testimony to Omaha being one of the premier event cities in the US..

Great job :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



Fantastic point. I had not even thought about the loss of Mutual.

Greg

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21074
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby Coyote » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Who will be the sponsor?
Image

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Coyote wrote:Who will be the sponsor?


Sols Pawn & Loan :shock:

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6415
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Greg S wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:And back without the sponsorship of Mutual of Omaha..

Imagine that :) ..

This is truly a testimony to Omaha being one of the premier event cities in the US..

Great job :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



Fantastic point. I had not even thought about the loss of Mutual.

Greg


Indeed..

It was the opinion of some, that the loss of Mutual of Omaha as a sponsor, meant the swim trials were lost for Omaha.. this has proven to be false.. Like I said last summer and again now, Omaha receiving this event once again for 2020, is mostly a reflection of how significant the city has become as an event destination. Omaha supports these events, and they keep coming back for more.. It's a win-win marriage...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21074
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby Coyote » Tue May 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Image

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm

So I was just curious how many cities have held the US Swim Trails the longest. I couldn't find any info but what I did find was some pretty darn interesting comment's people were making about Omaha and the Swim trials. They were complaining that Omaha didn't have enough hotel rooms to the fact we don't have much of a food selection. Which I found quite hilarious. Then they started to make comment's about how the event's should be in a " Real City" such as New York or Los Angeles. I'll provide you with the link and you can read these comment's about our city. I think people coming back for the 2020 trials will be shocked how much Downtown Omaha has changed since the 2016 swim trial's. I think some don't realize that Omaha is more then a typical Mid western city.

https://swimswam.com/breaking-omaha-wil ... ials-2020/
:lol:

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:17 pm

OmahaFan wrote:So I was just curious how many cities have held the US Swim Trails the longest. I couldn't find any info but what I did find was some pretty darn interesting comment's people were making about Omaha and the Swim trials. They were complaining that Omaha didn't have enough hotel rooms to the fact we don't have much of a food selection. Which I found quite hilarious. Then they started to make comment's about how the event's should be in a " Real City" such as New York or Los Angeles. I'll provide you with the link and you can read these comment's about our city. I think people coming back for the 2020 trials will be shocked how much Downtown Omaha has changed since the 2016 swim trial's. I think some don't realize that Omaha is more then a typical Mid western city.

https://swimswam.com/breaking-omaha-wil ... ials-2020/
:lol:



The comments seen there are just sour grapes. U.S Swimming LOVES Omaha, as do the fans and swimmers, and this comes from the Head of the Olympic Training Facility in Colorado Springs whom I've spoken with personally, as well as several high members of "U.S Swimming".
No posts exist for this topic

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I figured they were soured grapes. I'm glad to hear the US swim trials are happy with Omaha. Hopefully it continues to be that way!

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6415
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Yeah.. Those negative comments are basically BS sour grapes.. Take them with a grain of salt.. for every sour grape comment there was a positive one refuting it..

Omaha has been a great host city in 2008, 2012 and 2016.. It will be even better in 2020 :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2020 US Olympic Swim Trials - CLink

Postby iamjacobm » Fri May 26, 2017 11:31 am

I really do understand the desire to move it around. It is a marquee event and would give people a chance to see new places.

What many of the people griping don't realize is that the facility needs to dedicate 4+ weeks to that event alone and needs to have space for a second pool. That pretty much eliminates every arena with NBA or NHL and makes it hard if they don't have convention space attached.


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Coyote and 1 guest