Union Omaha - USL Soccer

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: USL Soccer

Post by bigredmed1 »

HskrFanMike wrote:There's another option here, and that's UNO's Caniglia Field. The old football bleachers were ripped out as part of the conversion to soccer, but it still holds 3k. You could reinstall some of them to bring it up to USL demands, and now that UNO has permission to sell alcohol at Baxter Arena, it doesn't take a huge reach to suggest that you could install taps at Caniglia.

You also could build a new east side complex (similar to Morrison) between the field the parking garage for skyboxes.

Problem is paying for it. UNO's financial issues prevent the school from investing in an expansion, but a partnership agreement could probably be worked out. It would be cheaper than a team building their own facility, since UNO already has the field in place, and we all recognize that asking any other government entity to pay for it is not going to be successful.
Partnership with whom? And who gets stuck with the bill? If is the citizens of Omaha, then we need to change the name of the stadium to the "We are Tired of Being Taxed for Crappe" We Don't Need" arena. It doesn't have the ring that the Clink or the Bax have as nick names, but we could shorten this the "Crappe' We Don't Need".

Note the pointless doubled letter and the e at the end of the name as this fits into the city's fixation of frilly spelling of places.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.

And the fact that Creighton owns Morrison, and UNO owns Caniglia. Those two would be temporary solutions at best for any USL team, most likely.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.

And the fact that Creighton owns Morrison, and UNO owns Caniglia. Those two would be temporary solutions at best for any USL team, most likely.
I agree. I would not think there'd be a mind-blowing commitment to either of them, if used.. Most likely a mutually agreeable temporary solution between the team and the university which would last, at the most, 2 seasons while a stadium is completed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The only way a new stadium gets built is if a new owner pays for it. (Or at least the vast majority of it.)

Now, perhaps UNO or Creighton could find a way to enter into a partnership agreement to utilize one of the existing facilities in Omaha, but if the ownershp feels they need to control all of the revenues, they'll need to control all of the costs of building it. (Read: Find your own plot of land and build it yourself.)
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

HskrFanMike wrote:The only way a new stadium gets built is if a new owner pays for it. (Or at least the vast majority of it.)

Now, perhaps UNO or Creighton could find a way to enter into a partnership agreement to utilize one of the existing facilities in Omaha, but if the ownershp feels they need to control all of the revenues, they'll need to control all of the costs of building it. (Read: Find your own plot of land and build it yourself.)
YEP! If you want the profits, then you have to make the investment. If you want me to pony up the cash, then I want the profits. If I pony up 80%, then I want at least 80% of the gross receipts from the stadium and the team. That doesn't work for you? Then reach deeper into your pocket or find some other city full of more suckers.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per the OWH today there is another group looking at Omaha as a potential location for a new Pro soccer team. This would be a level lower than the group that was brought up about a month ago.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/second-grou ... 9d6b9.html

The bid to bring pro soccer to Omaha has a new competitor.

Last month, Omaha Storm Chasers owner Gary Green told The World-Herald he intends to lead an ownership group to bring Division II soccer to Omaha in 2019 or later. Now, another group is trying to beat him to the finish line and launch a team in a different, lower-level league.

That league is the National Independent Soccer Association. It’s a new Division III league announced earlier this month..............
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:Per the OWH today there is another group looking at Omaha as a potential location for a new Pro soccer team. This would be a level lower than the group that was brought up about a month ago.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/second-grou ... 9d6b9.html

The bid to bring pro soccer to Omaha has a new competitor.

Last month, Omaha Storm Chasers owner Gary Green told The World-Herald he intends to lead an ownership group to bring Division II soccer to Omaha in 2019 or later. Now, another group is trying to beat him to the finish line and launch a team in a different, lower-level league.

That league is the National Independent Soccer Association. It’s a new Division III league announced earlier this month..............

Lame. USL or bust.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I concur. The reality is, Omaha has developed into an overall fantastic event city..

But minor league sports have always been a tough sell. If a minor league team is added, it needs to be marketed as the highest level possible just under "major league".. A "D" level team just won't cut it here, ultimately, in my opinion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big Pro Sports Announcement Tomorrow?

Anyone have a guess what the "Big Pro Sports Announcement" is tomorrow? The Chasers have been piping it for a few days now.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would take a wild guess its the soccer team the OWH mentioned a couple years ago...
https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-spor ... b59cf.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This discussion is going on in the Werner Park thread, but it is sounding a lot about a soccer team playing there.
Coyote
City Council

Omaha League One Club

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Unveiled as USL League One’s Newest Club
The team’s name and crest will be released later this year. It will be developed through the input and engagement of fans and reflect the spirit and community of the greater Omaha region. The team will be hosting a series of town halls, workshops, interviews and online polls in order to gather as much input as possible from the soccer community during the creation process of the club’s crest. Fans can learn more and participate at Omaha Pro Soccer

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.26 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I will go on record right now predicting this thing will be lucky if it last more then 2 years. Personally I have no want or need or inclination to ever go to one of these games. Tom Shatel predicting in today's paper that this will catch on makes me that more confident that I am right. Since most in this forum will say I am an idiot and always wrong then that bodes well for this Soccer Team. Good luck Soccer Team you are going to need it.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm I will go on record right now predicting this thing will be lucky if it last more then 2 years. Personally I have no want or need or inclination to ever go to one of these games. Tom Shatel predicting in today's paper that this will catch on makes me that more confident that I am right. Since most in this forum will say I am an idiot and always wrong then that bodes well for this Soccer Team. Good luck Soccer Team you are going to need it.
Based on the management team, investor group, existing league structure, less saturation of the sport in the community, and a lower necessary bar for attendance, I'd say it has an infinitely higher chance of success than Omaha's multiple half baked forays into professional American Football.

The Nighthawks and Mammoths were terrible ideas because the leagues were fly by night, you had no backing from the local business community, you needed 20k plus at games, and even if Omaha fans supported it, you had league structures doomed to fail.

I keep hearing people compare this soccer venture to the UFL and that other league, but this is totally apples to oranges from that.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

It may be unfair to compare it to the pro football, but it’s not unfair to compare it to college soccer. CU and UNO both have seen declines in attendance. Neither has captured a significant merch market. How many times do you see people talk about these teams?

I hope they do well. I don’t think I am going to be buying stock in the team.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

omaha79 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:35 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm I will go on record right now predicting this thing will be lucky if it last more then 2 years. Personally I have no want or need or inclination to ever go to one of these games. Tom Shatel predicting in today's paper that this will catch on makes me that more confident that I am right. Since most in this forum will say I am an idiot and always wrong then that bodes well for this Soccer Team. Good luck Soccer Team you are going to need it.
Based on the management team, investor group, existing league structure, less saturation of the sport in the community, and a lower necessary bar for attendance, I'd say it has an infinitely higher chance of success than Omaha's multiple half baked forays into professional American Football.

The Nighthawks and Mammoths were terrible ideas because the leagues were fly by night, you had no backing from the local business community, you needed 20k plus at games, and even if Omaha fans supported it, you had league structures doomed to fail.

I keep hearing people compare this soccer venture to the UFL and that other league, but this is totally apples to oranges from that.
I tend to agree. You have a good local management team who knows the city well. They’ve been looking at this for two years, so it’s not like they’re just throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks.

Does this guarantee it will work? Of course not. But it gives it a lot better chance than what’s come before.

I think most of the people who are saying it will fail are like grandpa, they think that because they personally are not interested, it couldn’t possibly work.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm It may be unfair to compare it to the pro football, but it’s not unfair to compare it to college soccer. CU and UNO both have seen declines in attendance. Neither has captured a significant merch market. How many times do you see people talk about these teams?

I hope they do well. I don’t think I am going to be buying stock in the team.
I go to UNO Soccer games, and I wouldn't call it a decline in attendance. If anything, I'd say it's been a slow gain. A UNO season could get skewed if there is a match against Creighton in there from a couple of years ago. On average, UNO soccer draws between 1k-2k, depending on the opponent. If CU is on the schedule, they will get 5k.

CU has dropped in attendance because the quality of on field product has dropped significantly during the last few years under old Elmar. If Torres can bring them back to prominence, that number will go up.

I don't think it's fair to compare this product to UNO or CU soccer either. Neither school spends significant amounts of money to promote soccer and the sport is between a distant 2nd or 3rd in the athletic department depending on the school. Soccer is behind hockey and basketball at UNO and behind basketball for sure at CU and arguably baseball.

Also, you are limited to grads of those schools typically to really get people involved. This becomes more of an everyman's team where you don't need to have a connection to the school to get invested. With the marketing arm of the Storm Chasers behind this, I think it's more appropriate to compare it to other pro sports teams/leagues in Omaha history than college soccer.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This doesn't add anything new and is brief, but echoes the sentiments myself, and others, have posted on the new soccer team and why we believe it has a solid chance of success.

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/editorial ... 13785.html
milesej05
Home Owners Association

Post by milesej05 »

Wonder how long til this flops. We couldn't even keep a football team in Omaha, why do people think we can keep a MINOR league soccer team in town.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

milesej05 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:20 am Wonder how long til this flops. We couldn't even keep a football team in Omaha, why do people think we can keep a MINOR league soccer team in town.
It might be because he have kept a minor league baseball team in town. Sure, different sports, but the soccer schedule is less demanding on fans to attend games and as discussed previously, there is some good management in place to make it successful. I know there is a chance it might not work, but there are very good reasons it will.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

milesej05 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:20 am Wonder how long til this flops. We couldn't even keep a football team in Omaha, why do people think we can keep a MINOR league soccer team in town.
The football leagues folded not the team individually.

I don't know if this will work or not, I'm a casual soccer fan at best. I do think those behind this give us our best shot though.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Minor League Professional football is in a league of its own in challenges and ineptitude of past leagues... can't really compare on this either.

As I stated before, it'll succeed, in my opinion, if:

1. They make it an event that even casual to previous-non-soccer fans (people who haven't liked it in the past and are open to it) can come to

2. They capture the die hard fan

3. They get the city (as in the citizens/residents) to see the team as "their own".

Cordero and team can do it if anyone can, but we'll see in 2 years. It's a stable league though, so that is a plus.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Reasons why this makes more sense than Omaha's failed forays into pro football...

1. Local investor group and business community buy in (Nighthawks and Mammoths had none of that)
2. Marketing arm of the Storm Chasers behind them
3. Lower threshold for success. You won't need to draw 20k a game. 3-4k will make this a success
4. existing league structure, not a startup
5. less market saturation of the sport in the community. This will play on Saturdays where UFL had to play on Thursdays becuase Fridays belong to high school, Saturdays to college, and Sundays to NFL. This won't even compete with Creighton and UNO as they play in different times of the year, mostly.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

omaha79 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:05 pm This will play on Saturdays where UFL had to play on Thursdays becuase Fridays belong to high school, Saturdays to college, and Sundays to NFL. This won't even compete with Creighton and UNO as they play in different times of the year, mostly.
The importance of this fact cannot be understated. It's huge that they are playing at the time of year they do. Very good to point out.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Nebraska State Soccer Championships drew 6,500 last night, compared to the State Football Championships which drew 5,670.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:14 pm The Nebraska State Soccer Championships drew 6,500 last night, compared to the State Football Championships which drew 5,670.
I'm sure the weather plays some factor in that. That said, it seems like most of the "kids" at work (people under 30), would rather watch soccer than football.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This is very cool. I love how they are going about this:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-spor ... 0c9ad.html

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am This is very cool. I love how they are going about this:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-spor ... 0c9ad.html

Greg
For sure. Glad they went to Benson to get a pulse on real soccer fans. They won't let the team name be something cheesy.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Survey seemed like they were trying hard at group identity and being PC.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I took the survey..

It’ll be interesting to see what shakes out...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 pm Survey seemed like they were trying hard at group identity and being PC.
They've also had meetings at bars and such with various local soccer groups including the American Outlaws. They did something similar when they decided to move from the Omaha Royals to Omaha Storm Chasers.

Not really a new tactic. All the way back in the 60's Ewing Kauffman and Co did this (though obviously not through an on-line survey, they used the KC Star) and engaged the KC community to pick the name the Royals. That was decades before the term PC.....

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 pm Survey seemed like they were trying hard at group identity and being PC.
They've also had meetings at bars and such with various local soccer groups including the American Outlaws. They did something similar when they decided to move from the Omaha Royals to Omaha Storm Chasers.

Not really a new tactic. All the way back in the 60's Ewing Kauffman and Co did this (though obviously not through an on-line survey, they used the KC Star) and engaged the KC community to pick the name the Royals. That was decades before the term PC.....

Greg
Yeah, the community outreach, I get. I didn't really appreciate the questions about my race and gender which were not skippable and I don't really think are OK when you want people to comment on team names. Unless you are trying to delete opinions based on racial identity (we don't care that black people don't like our team name, they don't watch soccer.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am
Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

Greg
Yeah, the community outreach, I get. I didn't really appreciate the questions about my race and gender which were not skippable and I don't really think are OK when you want people to comment on team names. Unless you are trying to delete opinions based on racial identity (we don't care that black people don't like our team name, they don't watch soccer.)
I worked for a survey company for years, we asked those racial identity questions on most surveys. They weren't to delete opinions it was more to see the audience we were reaching, but they were never used to delete opinions.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The branding and naming will be announced Oct 3rd
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm The branding and naming will be announced Oct 3rd
They are going to announce it at a block party in Benson that evening.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-spor ... aa4b4.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

USL Omaha wrote:BREAKING: Group of local business leaders join investment group for USL Omaha.

Led by Buildertrend Co-founder Dan Houghton, group features local business leaders representing a diversity of industries and sports including:
Mike Cassling, CEO of CQuence Health Group;
Martie Cordaro, President of the Omaha Storm Chasers and USL Omaha;
Matthew Dwyer, Principal at GreenSlate Development;
Philip Lee, Co-Founder of LifeLoop;
Jay Lund, Principal at GreenSlate Development;
Mike Mackintosh, President of Impact Financial Company;
Michael Miller, Executive Vice President of Colliers International Nebraska;
Kyle Peterson, Chairman and CEO of Colliers International Nebraska and a baseball analyst for ESPN;
Mike Potthoff, President of Colliers International Nebraska;
Jeff Royal, Owner of Dundee Bank;
Ren Smith, President of RCSS, LLC;
Jeffrey Wyatt, Senior Vice President of Colliers International Nebraska.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

EventBright
USL Omaha will be hosting a block party in the Benson District to share its crest, name and colors with the community. There is no admission fee, but RSVP is required in case of weather contingencies or capacity crowds.
Event is open to all ages. Food and beverage may be purchased separately.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Looks good. I like the logo and the team name :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Union Omaha - USL Soccer

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 1531 times