USL Soccer

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Re: USL Soccer

Postby bigredmed1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 pm

HskrFanMike wrote:There's another option here, and that's UNO's Caniglia Field. The old football bleachers were ripped out as part of the conversion to soccer, but it still holds 3k. You could reinstall some of them to bring it up to USL demands, and now that UNO has permission to sell alcohol at Baxter Arena, it doesn't take a huge reach to suggest that you could install taps at Caniglia.

You also could build a new east side complex (similar to Morrison) between the field the parking garage for skyboxes.

Problem is paying for it. UNO's financial issues prevent the school from investing in an expansion, but a partnership agreement could probably be worked out. It would be cheaper than a team building their own facility, since UNO already has the field in place, and we all recognize that asking any other government entity to pay for it is not going to be successful.

Partnership with whom? And who gets stuck with the bill? If is the citizens of Omaha, then we need to change the name of the stadium to the "We are Tired of Being Taxed for Crappe" We Don't Need" arena. It doesn't have the ring that the Clink or the Bax have as nick names, but we could shorten this the "Crappe' We Don't Need".

Note the pointless doubled letter and the e at the end of the name as this fits into the city's fixation of frilly spelling of places.

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.

And the fact that Creighton owns Morrison, and UNO owns Caniglia. Those two would be temporary solutions at best for any USL team, most likely.
No posts exist for this topic

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.

And the fact that Creighton owns Morrison, and UNO owns Caniglia. Those two would be temporary solutions at best for any USL team, most likely.

I agree. I would not think there'd be a mind-blowing commitment to either of them, if used.. Most likely a mutually agreeable temporary solution between the team and the university which would last, at the most, 2 seasons while a stadium is completed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Postby HskrFanMike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 pm

The only way a new stadium gets built is if a new owner pays for it. (Or at least the vast majority of it.)

Now, perhaps UNO or Creighton could find a way to enter into a partnership agreement to utilize one of the existing facilities in Omaha, but if the ownershp feels they need to control all of the revenues, they'll need to control all of the costs of building it. (Read: Find your own plot of land and build it yourself.)
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:42 pm

HskrFanMike wrote:The only way a new stadium gets built is if a new owner pays for it. (Or at least the vast majority of it.)

Now, perhaps UNO or Creighton could find a way to enter into a partnership agreement to utilize one of the existing facilities in Omaha, but if the ownershp feels they need to control all of the revenues, they'll need to control all of the costs of building it. (Read: Find your own plot of land and build it yourself.)

YEP! If you want the profits, then you have to make the investment. If you want me to pony up the cash, then I want the profits. If I pony up 80%, then I want at least 80% of the gross receipts from the stadium and the team. That doesn't work for you? Then reach deeper into your pocket or find some other city full of more suckers.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 am

Per the OWH today there is another group looking at Omaha as a potential location for a new Pro soccer team. This would be a level lower than the group that was brought up about a month ago.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/second-grou ... 9d6b9.html

The bid to bring pro soccer to Omaha has a new competitor.

Last month, Omaha Storm Chasers owner Gary Green told The World-Herald he intends to lead an ownership group to bring Division II soccer to Omaha in 2019 or later. Now, another group is trying to beat him to the finish line and launch a team in a different, lower-level league.

That league is the National Independent Soccer Association. It’s a new Division III league announced earlier this month..............
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

nebugeater wrote:Per the OWH today there is another group looking at Omaha as a potential location for a new Pro soccer team. This would be a level lower than the group that was brought up about a month ago.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/second-grou ... 9d6b9.html

The bid to bring pro soccer to Omaha has a new competitor.

Last month, Omaha Storm Chasers owner Gary Green told The World-Herald he intends to lead an ownership group to bring Division II soccer to Omaha in 2019 or later. Now, another group is trying to beat him to the finish line and launch a team in a different, lower-level league.

That league is the National Independent Soccer Association. It’s a new Division III league announced earlier this month..............

Lame. USL or bust.
No posts exist for this topic

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 pm

I concur. The reality is, Omaha has developed into an overall fantastic event city..

But minor league sports have always been a tough sell. If a minor league team is added, it needs to be marketed as the highest level possible just under "major league".. A "D" level team just won't cut it here, ultimately, in my opinion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Return to “Sports”