USL Soccer

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

USL Soccer

Postby HR Paperstacks » Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 am

iamjacobm wrote:Now that we are too late the best pro franchise we could probably hope for is starting a USL franchise and working our way up to the NASL. Play at Morrison, average 6K and maybe have regional rivalries with the likes of Tulsa, OKC and maybe DSM if they got a team too.


With lead investor on board, efforts to bring pro soccer to Omaha are gaining momentum
Chris Peters / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Pro soccer could be returning to Omaha.

Omaha Storm Chasers owner Gary Green has tentatively agreed to lead an ownership group to bring a United Soccer League team to Omaha and eventually build a soccer stadium.

“I think there’s a pumped-up demand for soccer in the city,” Green said.

The USL, the American soccer equivalent of Triple-A baseball, has been trying to launch an expansion team in Omaha for more than a year. The 30-team league plays a 32-game schedule from March through October.

Green said the venture is “in the exploratory stages.” He has not signed any paperwork, and numerous challenges remain, such as lining up more investors and finding a place to play.

But he said the ownership group is proceeding with the aim of launching a USL team in 2019 or later and building a soccer-specific stadium. The team would play at an existing venue in town until a stadium could be built.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: Professional Sports team

Postby RNcyanide » Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 am

They're not going to stop until we have a stadium for every man, woman, and child in this city, are they?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Professional Sports team

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

"Professional"
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

USL Soccer

Postby omaha79 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

I haven't seen this anywhere on this forum, but Gary Green of the Storm Chasers is getting closer to bringing USL soccer to Omaha. For those that don't know, USL soccer is the feeder league to MLS. It's a high level of competition. The league consists of teams that are straight affiliates with outside ownership and teams that are run by the MLS clubs themselves (such as the team in KC). Some, like Cincinnati, draw extremely well, some, like KC draw under 1k per game.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/local-sport ... b59cf.html

Of particular interest, the expectation seems to be that the team will want its own facility. I haven't heard anything on the finances for that piece...but, knowing pro sports, I would assume there would calls for some municipality to pony up a significant portion of the cost. This seems like a tough sell to the general public in this city who are weary of building sports facilities only to have them not live up to expectations.

I have talked to members of Storm Chasers management about this, and I was told that if they don't get their own facility, it's a non starter. I suggested a partnership with UNO or CU. Morrison Stadium is a fantastic facility downtown and UNO needs all the cash it can get. Both facilities are exceptional soccer facilities, but I was told that the team will need to have control of its revenue streams.

I'm a soccer fan. I would go to these games. I wonder what the average citizen in Omaha will think if they are asked to pay even a dime towards such a facility...especially if the argument is made as to why they can't share one of the existing venues.

Will this happen? Or, will this go by the wayside the way Green's dreams of a NBDL franchise here seemingly has? Thoughts?

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: USL Soccer

Postby nebugeater » Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Started to be covered here

viewtopic.php?p=277337#p277337

But deserving of it's own thread.

With the Storm Chasers ownership involvement, assuming that this moves forward at all, I would not be surprised at all if a stadium was built somewhere near Warner Park.

Is there a space there that would work to share parking that is not locked in for some other development?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Soccer stadiums generally aren't even close to as expensive as Baseball or Football stadiums. We're talking capacities of 5,000 to 7,500. Morrison stadium, which has about half that capacity in seated capacity, only cost $14 Million to build. If they have the backing and donors for this (which they possibly could have already), I could see it happening with very little direct city monetary support unlike the other stadiums and arenas we have in the state. If they get a Affiliation with Minnesota's new squad, that could also help.

That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
Taco
Home Owners Association
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Professional Sports team

Postby Taco » Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm

If they do this right, it could end up as a real feather in the cap for Omaha and a useful tool for attracting young people. Omaha has a huge sports vacancy in the summer after the CWS and I think the USL could certainly find a market. For them to succeed however, I think they'd have to have a stadium east of 72nd street. Expanding Morrison stadium or UNO's seem like a no-brainer. I assume TD would not work due to date constraints.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Professional Sports team

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Why not just use Creighton's stadium?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Coyote » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.

Or somewhere closer to South Omaha.
Image

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: USL Soccer

Postby buildomaha » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 pm

This is simply set up to fail from the start if the stadium is not near downtown or at least East of 72nd.

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee at last!

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Louie » Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 pm

buildomaha wrote:This is simply set up to fail from the start if the stadium is not near downtown or at least East of 72nd.

Agreed, hopefully there is an ideal area available.

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: USL Soccer

Postby HskrFanMike » Tue May 30, 2017 9:48 pm

The only way a professional soccer team works in Omaha is if they partner with an existing stadium for a shared deal, or build it themselves. Just look at the finances for the Mid-America Center, Ralston and Baxter Arenas...and then combine it with the lack of development in Sarpy County. I don't see any government authority investing in another new facility, especially one for a team with no track record to stand behind.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.

Or somewhere closer to South Omaha.


I agree with this. The question is where? Is there usable land in the "near south side" area. I'd say so.. But traffic flow and convenient access is also a critical element...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: USL Soccer

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 31, 2017 6:10 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.

Or somewhere closer to South Omaha.


I agree with this. The question is where? Is there usable land in the "near south side" area. I'd say so.. But traffic flow and convenient access is also a critical element...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


While I get what you are selling I don't think it is a slam dunk that that is a MUST location. Look were KC built the soccer only facility?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:54 am

Honestly I'd just assume put it somewhere near the CLink and just keep everything close together. This wouldn't be a huge stadium by any means. Heck,could put it on part of the land where Rick's Boatyard Cafe once was if possible with the lead cap?

Or maybe Bulldoze Conagra and put it in Heartland of America Park :lol:


Putting it in the Suburbs surrounded by "Soccer is durrrty Communist diving sissy ball!" isn't going to work very well, regardless of where Kansas City put theirs (remember, theirs is near the trendy area near the race track where those millenials hang out too).
No posts exist for this topic

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Linkin5 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 am

They can build their soccer stadium wherever they want just don't ask the public to fund your private stadium.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Greg S » Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 am

MadMartin8 wrote:Honestly I'd just assume put it somewhere near the CLink and just keep everything close together. This wouldn't be a huge stadium by any means. Heck,could put it on part of the land where Rick's Boatyard Cafe once was if possible with the lead cap?

Or maybe Bulldoze Conagra and put it in Heartland of America Park :lol:


Putting it in the Suburbs surrounded by "Soccer is durrrty Communist diving sissy ball!" isn't going to work very well, regardless of where Kansas City put theirs (remember, theirs is near the trendy area near the race track where those millenials hang out too).



I'd like to see it where Rick's is/was. That being said I don't think you can rule out the suburbs. I'm not a soccer fan (I played it a ton growing up though, my Mom was British and we are Catholic so I had no choice). Soccer is huge out West. I can't actually think of a part of the city where it's not popular except maybe North O (can't think of any major complexes or clubs there).

Greg

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9037
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: USL Soccer

Postby iamjacobm » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

Put a 10K seat stadium where the old BestBuy was in Crossroads. The future development gets a good entertainment anchor, soccer gets to be in the middle of the city and Prep can use it so they don't have to play football at Burke anymore.

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: USL Soccer

Postby omaha79 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:10 am

Linkin5 wrote:They can build their soccer stadium wherever they want just don't ask the public to fund your private stadium.


I agree. I do not think public funding of a facility such as this would be appropriate given the amount of sports facilities we've already been asked to fund. If they want to build it, they should build it themselves, or partner to use an existing facility.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 31, 2017 12:18 pm

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.

Or somewhere closer to South Omaha.


I agree with this. The question is where? Is there usable land in the "near south side" area. I'd say so.. But traffic flow and convenient access is also a critical element...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


While I get what you are selling I don't think it is a slam dunk that that is a MUST location. Look were KC built the soccer only facility?


I don't think it's a "must" that a potential soccer stadium be built downtown or south of downtown. I do think it would be a preferred location however.. Who knows, maybe they'll build out in Sarpy County next to the Storm Chasers ball park..

What I do think is a MUST, is convenient access and traffic flow in and out of the potential park...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: USL Soccer

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:That said, if they put it out in the Suburbs....I don't think they will be as close to their fanbase as if they place it downtown somewhere.

Or somewhere closer to South Omaha.


I agree with this. The question is where? Is there usable land in the "near south side" area. I'd say so.. But traffic flow and convenient access is also a critical element...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


While I get what you are selling I don't think it is a slam dunk that that is a MUST location. Look were KC built the soccer only facility?


I don't think it's a "must" that a potential soccer stadium be built downtown or south of downtown. I do think it would be a preferred location however.. Who knows, maybe they'll build out in Sarpy County next to the Storm Chasers ball park..

What I do think is a MUST, is convenient access and traffic flow in and out of the potential park...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



Interesting idea! ( see post #2) :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Honestly I'd just assume put it somewhere near the CLink and just keep everything close together. This wouldn't be a huge stadium by any means. Heck,could put it on part of the land where Rick's Boatyard Cafe once was if possible with the lead cap?

Or maybe Bulldoze Conagra and put it in Heartland of America Park :lol:


Putting it in the Suburbs surrounded by "Soccer is durrrty Communist diving sissy ball!" isn't going to work very well, regardless of where Kansas City put theirs (remember, theirs is near the trendy area near the race track where those millenials hang out too).



I'd like to see it where Rick's is/was. That being said I don't think you can rule out the suburbs. I'm not a soccer fan (I played it a ton growing up though, my Mom was British and we are Catholic so I had no choice). Soccer is huge out West. I can't actually think of a part of the city where it's not popular except maybe North O (can't think of any major complexes or clubs there).

Greg



While I get what you're saying, there's a difference between youth soccer participation and wanting to go to a USL Game (or even a Creighton Soccer game for that matter).


iamjacobm wrote: Put a 10K seat stadium where the old BestBuy was in Crossroads. The future development gets a good entertainment anchor, soccer gets to be in the middle of the city and Prep can use it so they don't have to play football at Burke anymore.


Hmm, that's an interesting idea!
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: USL Soccer

Postby RNcyanide » Wed May 31, 2017 3:58 pm

If they insisted on a shiny new stadium and that sports complex in La Vista falls through, they could always build there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Coyote » Wed May 31, 2017 4:33 pm

RNcyanide wrote:If they insisted on a shiny new stadium and that sports complex in La Vista falls through, they could always build there.

I was just thinking this...
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If they insisted on a shiny new stadium and that sports complex in La Vista falls through, they could always build there.

I was just thinking this...


Yep...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If they insisted on a shiny new stadium and that sports complex in La Vista falls through, they could always build there.

I was just thinking this...


Yep...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Would even be interesting including it also in addition to the other fields, in the event the complex DOES get built as well.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: USL Soccer

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Is there any reason they couldn't just share with Creighton?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: USL Soccer

Postby omaha79 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:47 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Is there any reason they couldn't just share with Creighton?


I was told it was that the revenue model is contingent on having their own facility...control of advertising, scheduling, concessions, etc. The normal "we need our own facility" playbook. I don't know if I buy that. I was also told the USL is mandating that new franchises have dedicated facilities.

That's just the world we live in these days. No one can share...and the taxpayers have to pay for all of it. I want to see pro soccer team in Omaha, but I think it is wildly inappropriate for taxpayers to have to fund even a dime of this.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:05 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.


I'm woefully ignorant about soccer..the W-H article made it seem like they wanted a team in place for Omaha by as soon as the 2018 or 2019 season while the "stadium" is getting built (they'd be playing in a temporary home during this time). If we're to believe the W-H piece, it would seem they'd like to move quickly..

Realistically, I'm in agreement- AAA level pro soccer is probably more than 3-5 years away from happening, if ever..

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be delighted to see this team become an Omaha reality sooner rather than later or never at all...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Linkin5 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:08 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.


Cincinnati I know plays at Nippert Stadium which is football and I'm pretty sure Seattle still plays at Centurylink field home of the Seahawks.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Linkin5 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.


Cincinnati I know plays at Nippert Stadium which is football and I'm pretty sure Seattle still plays at Centurylink field home of the Seahawks.


Okay.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/05/13/usl-league-announces-intention-house-all-24-teams-soccer-specific-stadiums-2020

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/soccer/louisville-city-fc/2015/05/14/usl-wants-teams-including-louisville-city-fc-in-soccer-stadiums-by-2020/27302237/


The MLS is less specific and says "preferred", my oversight.
No posts exist for this topic

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: USL Soccer

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.


I'm woefully ignorant about soccer..the W-H article made it seem like they wanted a team in place for Omaha by as soon as the 2018 or 2019 season while the "stadium" is getting built (they'd be playing in a temporary home during this time). If we're to believe the W-H piece, it would seem they'd like to move quickly..

Realistically, I'm in agreement- AAA level pro soccer is probably more than 3-5 years away from happening, if ever..

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be delighted to see this team become an Omaha reality sooner rather than later or never at all...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Sorry, when I meant a "ways off", I meant months. Or rather, am hopeful for months.

I guess when talking about Omaha it usually is 3-5 years ;) So, I understand the thought haha.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:08 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Yes, the USL, along with the MLS, is mandating using only soccer specific stadiums.

I'll be curious to see what the "taxpayers" are all going to have to pay for in the end. I'm interested to see what capital/financing can be raised for a 14 to 20 million dollar, or so, stadium by the investor team before I get excited about the need for a lot of public contribution...along with a true plan for the team. Probably a ways off.


I'm woefully ignorant about soccer..the W-H article made it seem like they wanted a team in place for Omaha by as soon as the 2018 or 2019 season while the "stadium" is getting built (they'd be playing in a temporary home during this time). If we're to believe the W-H piece, it would seem they'd like to move quickly..

Realistically, I'm in agreement- AAA level pro soccer is probably more than 3-5 years away from happening, if ever..

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be delighted to see this team become an Omaha reality sooner rather than later or never at all...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Sorry, when I meant a "ways off", I meant months. Or rather, am hopeful for months.

I guess when talking about Omaha it usually is 3-5 years ;) So, I understand the thought haha.


Lol. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later of course.. I think we can drink to that sentiment :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Taco
Home Owners Association
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Taco » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Morrison Stadium certainly counts as a Soccer Specific Stadium, I think expanding that would be the most logical solution.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 pm

The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.
Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: USL Soccer

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 am

Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.


Parking
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Greg S » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 am

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.


Parking


I think parking would be easy down there. Nights and weekends is when the team would be playing, mostly in the summer.

When I've gone to CU games there it's never been an issue.

Greg

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: USL Soccer

Postby Greg S » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am

Coyote wrote:The problems I see in Morrison are alcohol and concession sales, team locker rooms, team offices and retail space.



Yeah you would definitely have to upgrade in some of these areas.

Greg

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: USL Soccer

Postby HskrFanMike » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:21 pm

There's another option here, and that's UNO's Caniglia Field. The old football bleachers were ripped out as part of the conversion to soccer, but it still holds 3k. You could reinstall some of them to bring it up to USL demands, and now that UNO has permission to sell alcohol at Baxter Arena, it doesn't take a huge reach to suggest that you could install taps at Caniglia.

You also could build a new east side complex (similar to Morrison) between the field the parking garage for skyboxes.

Problem is paying for it. UNO's financial issues prevent the school from investing in an expansion, but a partnership agreement could probably be worked out. It would be cheaper than a team building their own facility, since UNO already has the field in place, and we all recognize that asking any other government entity to pay for it is not going to be successful.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest