Nebraska Basketball 2017-18

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Re: Nebraska Basketball 2017-18

Post by Greg S »

It wasn't pretty. There were times in the 1st half I thought NU was going to blow them out. Could not shake Minnesota in the 2nd. Glad NU hit their free throws down the stretch. Could not lose that game. Glad Minneosta was no where near full strength. Hopefully Nebraska gets the the groove it had before this long stretch without any games.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good article by Mike who is a long time member of our group:

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/2/8/169 ... unl-campus

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Good article by Mike who is a long time member of our group:

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/2/8/169 ... unl-campus

Greg
Thanks for posting.

In addition I am glad that Tim Miles was there and that he didn't make that the center of attention but just was there for support.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I am hoping they post the video for those of us that can’t attend game today. If anyone on here goes to the game please post impressions.

Based on Twitter seems to be a lot of demand for the Hate Never Wins t shirts players are wearing.

Love seeing bond and support Miles has with his team.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:I am hoping they post the video for those of us that can’t attend game today. If anyone on here goes to the game please post impressions.

Based on Twitter seems to be a lot of demand for the Hate Never Wins t shirts players are wearing.

Love seeing bond and support Miles has with his team.

Greg
I will be there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Easy win.

Rutgers 55
Nebraska 67
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Due to weather, Nick Bahe made his BTN debut on Saturday, teaming up on the broadcast with Kevin Kugler. Kugler's scheduled partner was stuck by the storm in Chicago. I thought Nick and Kevin did very well together.

One of the more challenging games left on NU's schedule, Maryland on Tuesday. Early one as well at 6. Only a few spots away from each other in the RPI.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nick Bahe just had a fantastic interview with Isaiah Roby. He might be even more impressive off the court than on. Very well spoken. If you did not get to hear it, highly recommended on podcast.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I was listening to the AM radio Monday and caught Tom Shatel for a few minutes. I enjoy hearing Tom Shatel's opinion and reading his articles but sometimes hes in left field. Monday on the radio he was all but saying Nebraska has no chance of making the big dance. I thinks Tom's blind. I think Nebraska is going to the big dance and not only that I think they got a good chance of winning a game or two. I think Maryland could get blown out tonight if they are not real careful.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Nebraska wins
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It got close down the stretch but glad we hung on.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

The problem for Nebraska was 6ft 10in 250 pound freshman Bruno Fernando. He was too much to handle for Issaih Roby. He owned Roby from the start and without help Roby was powerless to stop him. As good as Roby is hes not in Brunos league. Bruno is ready to play in the NBA right now. For the first 7 or 8 minutes all Maryland had to do was feed the ball to Bruno and it was automatic that he was going to score. About 8 minutes in coach MIles pulled Roby and sat him for a few minutes and told him to stay cool and told the rest of the team they had to help Roby double team Bruno every time he got the ball or Nebraska was going to be dead. The plan worked but it was tough. Maryland is a pretty good team and Bruno is a 10 star lock to be playing in the NBA soon. As coach Miles admitted in the after game interview his pulling of James Palmer late in the game really hurt Nebraska and almost cost them the game.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It definitely hurt when Palmer was out. I understood the thinking of him needing a breather. Very quiet first halp (I think only 2 points, and that was on free throws I believe), he seemed to be everywhere in the 2nd.

I also think it hurt with Bruno that Jordy T was in foul trouble in the 2nd half.

Bruno is incredibly talented. Actually Maryland as a whole has some great players. They've been really hurt by the injury bug this year. I think I saw before the game they are down to an 8 man rotation.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Penn State takes down #8 Ohio State last night.

All signs seem to point to a No Sit Sunday against them for the home finale on Sunday the 25th.

NU still needs to win at Illinois and at home against Indiana before then. Neither is a give me.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Penn St has Purdue and Michigan left on their schedule. They could be a quality opponent of they stay hot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow
Ohio St and Purdue go down yesterday
While today Michigan St is getting boat raced by Northwetern 49-27 at half.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Wow
And then Northwestern goes 9% shooting the second half, at one point 1 for 18 shooting.
Up by 27, they lose by 6.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:Wow
And then Northwestern goes 9% shooting the second half, at one point 1 for 18 shooting.
Up by 27, they lose by 6.

And at home for NW to make it even more painful
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

With a lot of Spartans in the crowd, chanting De-fence...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Tough Husker road loss at Ill today....
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nebugeater wrote:Tough Husker road loss at Ill today....
Just when Tim Miles looked like he might get off the hot seat they push him back into the chair again.........
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Just when Tim Miles looked like he might get off the hot seat they push him back into the chair again.........
This year was substantially better than the last and one of his better years overall. I think he is safe. No extension, no raise, but no pink slip either.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
This year was substantially better than the last and one of his better years overall. I think he is safe. No extension, no raise, but no pink slip either.

He is safe this year. I would not be surprised to see him get a 1 year extension. If not, I believe his current contract ends in 2020 and that is razor thin for recruiting.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

He is safe this year. I would not be surprised to see him get a 1 year extension. If not, I believe his current contract ends in 2020 and that is razor thin for recruiting.
I agree. Miles needs to show back to back consistency..

If he does, he could get a “cautious” 2 year extension...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Nebraska is favored by 3 points tomorrow over Indiana. If Nebraska loses then Tim Miles will be hastily fired at the end of the season. I'm rooting for Tim but it don't look good. Dana Altman seems to be the favorite to replace him. Can't say I saw that coming but I could believe it!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

No way Dana leaves Oregon unless he is forced out for player issues, which I think has subsided.

I don't think Miles is on the hot seat or that Miles job depends on tonight's outcome.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have heard a grand total of ONE person say Altman is the Favorite to replace Miles (who isn't going anywhere this yer). That one person is a BBS poster on some forum called eOmahaforums.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:No way Dana leaves Oregon unless he is forced out for player issues, which I think has subsided.

I don't think Miles is on the hot seat or that Miles job depends on tonight's outcome.

Greg
Agreed..

But part of me would love to see Dana leave the Ducks and become the Jays head coach again :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Greg S wrote:No way Dana leaves Oregon unless he is forced out for player issues, which I think has subsided.

Greg
Agreed..

But part of me would love to see Dana leave the Ducks and become the Jays head coach again :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ouch....hope that never happens. He was good for the university and all but I would hate to see him come back a 2nd time. (Granted, last time it was only after a few days when he took the Arkansas job) If Mac can ever figure out how to beat the zone, he is going to be at Creighton for a very, very long time, if he chooses.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg
Agreed..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
If Mac can ever figure out how to beat the zone, he is going to be at Creighton for a very, very long time, if he chooses.
I would add- attempting to remedy the “here we go again” lack of confidence issue.. But I overall agree. I like Mac and want him to succeed. Same with Tim Miles...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I don't know what teams you people are watching but.......Coach Mac is doing a good job and is a great coach and more then likely is going to be at Creighton for a long time. Creighton is pretty low in the raw talent department and coach Mac is doing fine with what he has to work with. Now coach Miles is a just the opposite. Miles has a team with quite a bit of raw talent and he just does not know what to with it. MIles did not lose this team it appears he never had it. Miles is a cool guy and we all like em but just like coach Riley he is a real stinker as a coach and they got to find a Scott Frost type to come in and run the program right. ......and Dana Altman would fit that role to a 'T'.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Oh man....our worst fears have come to fruition...its halftime and Nebraska only has 25 points. What a offensive breakdown this is. Its Palmer who is stinking the place up for the past 2 games. Without Palmer Nebraska does not know where to go for offense. Indiana at the half looks like they are going to win it for sure.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I don't know what teams you people are watching but.......Coach Mac is doing a good job and is a great coach and more then likely is going to be at Creighton for a long time.
I only partially agree with you Smucker.. Mac is a great “culture guy” a great coach to get you to believe in the preparation and process.. In other words, Coach Mac is the college basketball coach version of Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. His in game feel and in game coaching decisions leave a bit to be desired.. And his team plays with a systematic “here we go again “ lack of confidence and they tend to WILT like a flower in selected big games.. Make no miskake, the Jays (like the Dallas Cowboys) have talent. CU plays in one of the top three basketball conferences in Division 1..They don’t play in the Mid Major Valley Conference any more..The Jays just can’t get over the hump.. And the blame lays solely upon the shoulders of the Head Coach- Mac.

And Mac is not a beginner. This is his 8th season as head coach of the Jays (just like Garrett- 8 years as head coach of the Cowboys) and also just like Garrett, Coach Mac can’t get his team to play consistently good basketball throughout the course of a complete season.. I agree with MadMartin that it’s a systematic mind-set that breeds a lack of confidence and lack of grit to play BIG when the game is on the line..

Miles is having a good season and seems to be putting his team together the right way. They had a HUGE win tonight against Indiana and right now (and I’ve said it before), the Huskers are playing with more confidence than the Jays (who got blown out tonight at Butler).. And that is a credit to coach Miles...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Oh man....our worst fears have come to fruition...its halftime and Nebraska only has 25 points. What a offensive breakdown this is. Its Palmer who is stinking the place up for the past 2 games. Without Palmer Nebraska does not know where to go for offense. Indiana at the half looks like they are going to win it for sure.

Nebraska wins. 66-57
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Penn State up next. They lost to Michigan last night.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Names and specifics starting to come out in the FBI probe on college basketball. So far I don't see anything on Nebraska (Addidas has been implicated in this and Nebraska is a big Adidas School). Other local schoosls are in the report:

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

WARNING When I clicked on the link in the previous post I ended up locking my computer up with Malware after I clicked on the document.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska is playing strong. At the half its 34-17.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NU led from wire to wire and get a #4 Seed and a Double Bye in the B1G Conference Tounament.
First time with 13 conference wins.
Penn St. 64
Nebraska 76
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Wow! Nebraska seemed unstoppable today.