Nebraska Basketball 2017-18

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Re: Nebraska Basketball 2017-18

Post by Greg S »

Tonight should be interesting. Rutgers seems to be even more extreme than normal, as far as good at home bad on the road. NU really does need this win.

Looking far ahead to the Big 10 Tourney. I think NU"s first game is critical. I get the feeling that if NU wins their first game they could go very deep in the tournament. I could also see them one and done. I think it will be one extreme or the other.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I hope Nebraska wins tonight but odds are against it. Nebraska still has too many players ball hogging the ball instead of passing it. Coach Miles has clearly lost this team. Much like it was for MIke Riley this is going to get real ugly these last few games for Miles. Miles will walk away from Nebraska with millions in March but until then he will endure one huge dose of humiliation and embarrassment. The Big Ten Tourney will be a guaranteed one and done. The good news is Nebraska's new Athletic Director is going to find us a much better basketball to come in next year and run this thing right.

Rutgers wins by 10
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nervous last two minutes.
Got an out of bounds pass stolen, not blocking out,
but a much needed road win.
Nebraska 60
Rutgers 54
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I imagined that Nebraska would melt down this game but they never came close to it. Nebraska was taller and more talented then Rutgers and it was obvious from the start. Nebraska was confident from start to finish. There still was way too much ball hogging and lack of team work. The announcers see it as I do that Roby is the NBA talent on Nebraska's team. Too bad Miles and the rest of the team has not. They need to give Roby the ball more and let him go. Roby is like Creighton's Patton was. Every team in the NBA is going to be whispering million dollar contract numbers into Roby's ear and hes going to be gone long before his senior year.

Looks like former Nebraska player Tyronn Lue is about to be fired. Trading away Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas was the death of the Cleveland Cavs and now somebody has to pay for it and it looks like Tyronn Lue is it........
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If you remember Irving wanted out so he could be the man somewhere, now getting Thomas in return, that may have been the best deal available, given cap room...

Now as for Roby, and Palmer, I thought Watson was the man, but he is so sporadic with his PT. which player are you going you get? I would love to see what this team would be like if they started the year with this lineup.

Oh, and hitting those FTs at the end of the game... Priceless .
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah Irving forced his way out of Cleveland.

Roby is good and improving but I don't see him as a first round draft pick yet. This team is deep. Palmer, Copeland, Roby, and Watson can all take over a game. If they all start clicking at the same time, wow.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Yeah Irving forced his way out of Cleveland.

Roby is good and improving but I don't see him as a first round draft pick yet. This team is deep. Palmer, Copeland, Roby, and Watson can all take over a game. If they all start clicking at the same time, wow.

Greg

Most important part of your statement. Other than a six week period in Miles second season that hasn't happened at all in many years for Husker basketball. That being said the Huskers are closer than they have been in a long time but the history has me still saying prove it too me first.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:If you remember Irving wanted out so he could be the man somewhere
Speaking of which, just hitting the wires:

Report: Kyrie threatened to sit out entire season unless Cavs traded him
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:Yeah Irving forced his way out of Cleveland.

Greg

Most important part of your statement. Other than a six week period in Miles second season that hasn't happened at all in many years for Husker basketball. That being said the Huskers are closer than they have been in a long time but the history has me still saying prove it too me first.

I agree it is a big if. I think this team is actually deeper than the last one Miles took to the tourney.

Greg
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I never thought I'd see the day when the basketball team was better than the football team. Crazy.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when the basketball team was better than the football team. Crazy.
We aren't there yet......
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice win over Iowa last night. 98-84 The Huskers tried to let Iowa get back in the game early in the second half with their patented scoring drought. They let a 14 point half lead slip to 2 points before they quickly got it back to ten and kept it there or better for the rest of the game. Crowd was great too last night
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when the basketball team was better than the football team. Crazy.
We aren't there yet......
If you mean the NCAA Tournament, you're right. We're not. But with the way things have been going this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska got invited to the big dance in March. :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska has four home games left: Rutgers (193), Maryland (52), Indiana (109) and Penn St. (108), all very winnable games.
They have three road games: Wisconsin (136), Minnesota (99), and Illinois (163). If they can get one of those they would be 20-11 (11-7).
If they get a 4 seed they would get two byes and play maybe a Michigan.
If they get a 5 seed they would get a bye and play the winner of a Rutgers/Iowa game then Michigan.
If they get through that they would get Purdue.
If they could win at Wisconsin and Illinois and beat Michigan in the tournament, they would have 22 wins and a top 5 team in the conference. It's not impossible, their stage is set, we will see if they can deliver starting tomorrow at Wisconsin.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And don't forget about the Lady Huskers. 7-22 last year they are 16-6 so far this year.
They just beat #25 Iowa in their house 92-74, leading 77-43 after the third.
That puts them a half game behind Maryland and Michigan for first place in the conference.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it's been pretty amazing the turn around that Amy Williams has done in one year. She is the one bright spot from the Shawn Eichorst era.

NU plays again tonight in Wisconsin at 8. I think 4th game in 8 days.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Yeah it's been pretty amazing the turn around that Amy Williams has done in one year. She is the one bright spot from the Shawn Eichorst era.

NU plays again tonight in Wisconsin at 8. I think 4th game in 8 days.

Greg

Correct

@ Ohio St on 1/22
@ Rutgers on 1/24
Iowa on 1/27
@ Wisconsin on 1/29

What makes it even crazier is that after tonight they do not play again for 8 days when they are at Minn on 2/6
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah this year's schedule has been awful. I hope they never do the tournament in NYC again.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Yeah this year's schedule has been awful. I hope they never do the tournament in NYC again.

Greg
I will add to that, that I hope they never do the tourny again at a location that they need to move it up a week. NYC would be OK if it was the normal week but the Big East is there and rightly so.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska has four home games left: Rutgers (193), Maryland (52), Indiana (109) and Penn St. (108), all very winnable games.
They have three road games: Wisconsin (136), Minnesota (99), and Illinois (163). If they can get one of those they would be 20-11 (11-7).
If they get a 4 seed they would get two byes and play maybe a Michigan.
If they get a 5 seed they would get a bye and play the winner of a Rutgers/Iowa game then Michigan.
If they get through that they would get Purdue.
If they could win at Wisconsin and Illinois and beat Michigan in the tournament, they would have 22 wins and a top 5 team in the conference. It's not impossible, their stage is set, we will see if they can deliver starting tomorrow at Wisconsin.
Keeping in mind that is also a LOT of potential landmine RPI killers as well. Can't believe, looking at those names on the list, that none of them outside of Maryland has a sub 100 RPI (okay, and Minnesota kind of).
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:Yeah this year's schedule has been awful. I hope they never do the tournament in NYC again.

Greg
I will add to that, that I hope they never do the tourny again at a location that they need to move it up a week. NYC would be OK if it was the normal week but the Big East is there and rightly so.

I'm hoping they go back to more traditional locations. NYC is so far away. I'd like to see them stick with Indy, Chicago, Detroit for the basketball tourney.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Right now Nebraska is 4 or dogs tonight...
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

NU does it again. And I don't think Roby even scored a point in this one. Nice to see them sweep Wisky, even if Wisky is horrible this season.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

They did it again. They came from behind and won 74-63. It didn't look good at first. They just couldn't get the ball in the hoop and make those critical shots. I thought for sure Nebraska was going to lose. It sure looked like it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

32-8 run to wrap up about the last 10 min of the game I believe. Nice win for sure. Now some days off to get their legs back under them and see how the season can finish out. The pessimist in me says that being on this hot streak has been good but will 8 days off cool that off too? Hope not but history makes me think that is a posability.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was definitely happy to get out of there with a win.

Down 11 in the second half with so many guys in foul trouble.

The team is so much deeper this year. Two starters (including Roby) did not score. And we won.

I think Palmer might be our best bet for all Big 10.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Very strange weekend with Nebraska, UNO and Creighton all off.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Best player for NU, Palmer, Roby or someone else?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Best player for NU, Palmer, Roby or someone else?

Currently - Palmer IMO but...
Best upside is Roby.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Funny, how at the beginning of the year it was "as Glynn Watson goes, Nebraska goes."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Funny, how at the beginning of the year it was "as Glynn Watson goes, Nebraska goes."
And it is good that it hasn't worked out that way because for what ever reason we all know he has been underwhelming based on expectations
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

James Palmer's six-game tear puts him alongside Husker greats, but guard is more focused on winning
Lee Barfknecht World-Herald Bureau wrote:World-Herald research through the past five decades shows Palmer is one of five Huskers to have averaged 25 points or more over any six-game stretch of their careers.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Its Palmer but Roby has the best chance of being famous someday in the NBA. I could see Copeland making the NBA someday too.

I had looked forward to last nights national televised NBA game between Cleveland and Houston. I thought Houston might beat them by 10 or so but it was not even competitive. Houston was winning by over 25 at the half. Cleveland's ship is sunk. Tyrone Lue's coaches hot seat is now red hot and I don't see a chance of him coaching the Cavs next year.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Its Palmer but Roby has the best chance of being famous someday in the NBA. I could see Copeland making the NBA someday too.

I had looked forward to last nights national televised NBA game between Cleveland and Houston. I thought Houston might beat them by 10 or so but it was not even competitive. Houston was winning by over 25 at the half. Cleveland's ship is sunk. Tyrone Lue's coaches hot seat is now red hot and I don't see a chance of him coaching the Cavs next year.

I pretty much agree with your assessment here.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Crazy two weeks. 4 games in 8 days followed by a week off. NU returns to the floor tonight in Minnesota. Rest is nice but you have to worry they have cooled off too. They were playing their best ball of the season going in to the week off.

I was surprised NU actually got a few votes in the AP Top 25 this week.

Good read from Lincoln:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/m ... 7cb1a.html

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Crazy two weeks. 4 games in 8 days followed by a week off. NU returns to the floor tonight in Minnesota. Rest is nice but you have to worry they have cooled off too. They were playing their best ball of the season going in to the week off.

I was surprised NU actually got a few votes in the AP Top 25 this week.

Good read from Lincoln:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/m ... 7cb1a.html

Greg
I think it was one voter at a position of 21 or whatever it took to get the points they got. That is what I believe I heard on the radio this AM

Another thing, When was the last time the huskers were a road favorite in a conf game in men's basketball. See they are favored by 3 or 4 depending on where you look for tonight
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I read they were 4 pt. dogs...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I read they were 4 pt. dogs...
Heard them talking on one of the radio stations this AM about being favored by that but haven't looked myself.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I've got Minny as a 3.5 favorite.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, Nebraska won 91-85. So that makes it 6 points. It's getting harder and harder to sleep on Nebraska for the NCAA Tournament.