Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

2018 Omaha Storm Chasers/KC Royals

Post by Greg S »

Next year's schedule:

https://www.milb.com/storm-chasers/news ... -196093384

It will be the franchise's 50th anniversary.

Greg
Brad
City Council

KC Royals VS Omaha Exhibition Game

Post by Brad »

Its coming Back!!! March 26, 2018!

Brad
City Council

Re: 2018 Omaha Storm Chasers

Post by Brad »

50th Logo!

WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Awesome news. I knew it had been awhile since the KC Royals had played an exhibition here, but until I read the release I didn't realize it had been almost 20 years (spring of 2000). Wow!

Incidentally, I went back and looked in the OWH archives to find out a little more about that game, and it's a little crazy that game only drew 3,900 fans to Rosenblatt and generated almost zero buzz -- though the Royals were the worst team in the American League at that time by that point and the Omaha team was floundering in their "Golden Spikes" era so the lack of buzz makes sense I guess. Maybe people had a feeling it would go the way it did, ending in a scoreless tie after 10 innings, and stayed away.

But with less than 4,000 fans in attendance it's no wonder they stopped doing it.

https://www.milb.com/storm-chasers/news ... -196093384
Last edited by WBR_Tom on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Tickets on sale September 1. My family and I will definitely be going.

Greg
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I remember when I was a kid, just about every year, K.C. would play Omaha a couple weeks or so after the season started. The major league players hated it, and in-season exhibitions are no longer allowed under the MLB collective bargaining agreement.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The KC exhibition games sold out in last then a day including the berm seats.

I imagine they held some tickets back for people that get season tickets for the first time between now and sometime close to this game, so a few more might become available next March.

High demand. The web site kept crashing due to volume when they went on sale.

Still glad I got mine.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I had no problem picking up 6 myself. No problems with crashing or anything like that.

I saw people freaking out on the Chasers FB page. Others asking things like "what's a berm?" Others complaining that it's not at TD Ameritrade.

Honestly, if you've never been to Werner and are asking "what's a berm"? This event isn't for you. If you can't figure out why they'd want to play it at their home stadium, this event isn't for you. The only way to truly guarantee tickets was to buy a ticket package. You were always leaving it to chance if you didn't buy a package.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:I had no problem picking up 6 myself. No problems with crashing or anything like that.

I saw people freaking out on the Chasers FB page. Others asking things like "what's a berm?" Others complaining that it's not at TD Ameritrade.

Honestly, if you've never been to Werner and are asking "what's a berm"? This event isn't for you. If you can't figure out why they'd want to play it at their home stadium, this event isn't for you. The only way to truly guarantee tickets was to buy a ticket package. You were always leaving it to chance if you didn't buy a package.

When did you get yours? I started out right at 12, finally got all the way through at 1:34AM. Very happy I got mine. I am in 124. The prices on StubHub are crazy.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:I had no problem picking up 6 myself. No problems with crashing or anything like that.

When did you get yours? I started out right at 12, finally got all the way through at 1:34AM. Very happy I got mine. I am in 124. The prices on StubHub are crazy.

Greg
I ended up in section 123. top row. I got on with no issues at 5:45 AM.

They really that high on Stubhub? I haven't looked.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

omaha79 wrote:They really that high on Stubhub? I haven't looked.
Amazingly, yes. I really doubt they'll sell at these prices, but people have them listed for between $149.50 apiece (section 124) to $325 apiece (section 107). Good for them if they can get that, but seems just a *tad* bit more than the market would bear for an exhibition game.

But who knows. Given the level of vitriol in the Facebook comments on the Storm Chasers' page after people were unable to get tickets, maybe there's enough disappointed fans to pay a 1200% markup. And if there is, maybe I should consider selling mine... :lol:
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

WBR_Tom wrote:
omaha79 wrote:They really that high on Stubhub? I haven't looked.
Amazingly, yes. I really doubt they'll sell at these prices, but people have them listed for between $149.50 apiece (section 124) to $325 apiece (section 107). Good for them if they can get that, but seems just a *tad* bit more than the market would bear for an exhibition game.

But who knows. Given the level of vitriol in the Facebook comments on the Storm Chasers' page after people were unable to get tickets, maybe there's enough disappointed fans to pay a 1200% markup. And if there is, maybe I should consider selling mine... :lol:
Oh yeah. ha.

"I'm so mad I didn't get tickets. They should have had this at TD Ameritrade Park. I've never been to Werner Park before, what's a Berm? Now I have to tell my kids they can't see the Royals. But, I'll show them. I'll pay $150 a ticket on Stubhub"

Seriously, if you pay $150 per ticket for this, you are deeply stupid. For $300 (a pair of seats) you could take a family of 4 to a KC Royals game with upper deck tickets, cover a night of hotel down there, gas up and back, and a decent BBQ dinner.

It's an exhibition game. I'm willing to pay $16 for it, but no more.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I was shocked how reasonable to tickets were priced at. They are the same prices as the July 4 games. They went from $15-$25 (club seats). Don't know what berm went for. I was expecting another $10-15 per seat (and would have paid that).

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Great deal on Wednesday tickets today. Also may pick up a new t shirt. Free hot dogs from 5-6:30 tonight:

https://www.milb.com/storm-chasers/news ... -264196850

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Great deal on Wednesday tickets today. Also may pick up a new t shirt. Free hot dogs from 5-6:30 tonight:

Greg
Thanks for posting. That is a great deal for today, with 6 tickets only costing $12 for berm or in sections 100-101.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When I was there yesterday buying the ticket special and t shirts on special, I noticed they had this in stock. Thought I would have to go to KC to get. Needless to say I bought it and ending up (between the tickets, t shirts and book) spending money I had not planned on spending yesterday:

https://www.mlb.com/royals/fifty/fiftieth-season-book

Greg
Coyote
City Council

2018 Omaha Storm Chasers/KC Royals

Post by Coyote »

LoCain signed with the Brewers the other day and re-signed Alcides Escobar.
So what does this men for the Storm Chasers. Who might be called up? Or sent down (Raul Mondesi?)
Will they sign Eric Hosmer. What about the trade rumors of Danny Duffy, Whit Merrifield, and Kelvin Herrera?
Sounds like the Royals want to keep their team payroll between $100-$110M so they may have to go young.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Final temperature Wednesday deal. Tickets again at their lowest, $12 for 6 Wednesday vouchers. The jackets look like a good deal too.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I bought the tickets over the phone a few weeks ago but haven't been able to make it out there to pick them up since the box office is only open 9-5, but it is my understanding that I can get the tickets at anypoint throughout the season. Is that correct?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not sure on the pick up rules. I know the box office is open tonight until 6:30.

They are also doing their Taste and Tour on February 24. It's a Saturday and the box office is open then becuase they are selling opening day tickets at a discount. It's from 11-2.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just called them and confirmed, you have until opening day (April 5th) to pick up the voucher.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 2018 Omaha Storm Chasers/KC Royals

Post by Coyote »

Hosmer signs an 8 year $144M contract with San Diego.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Hosmer signs an 8 year $144M contract with San Diego.
One reporter said the Padres won b/c they were willing to allow Hosmer to opt out after year 5 and KC wasn't willing to do that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another reporter said the Padres offered more front end money while the Royals had it back end heavy.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Another reporter said the Padres offered more front end money while the Royals had it back end heavy.
Basically means he is most likely opting out at 33 and going for one more big deal in 5 years then, as long as his production is still there. Gotta play the game, can't blame KC or Hos really. KC wanted a contract to make him a lifetime Royal, Hos has it structured to make the most of his playing time $ wise.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ready for the Omaha Runza's on June 9th?

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Are they going to sell Runzas during the game? Might be a little weird if its 90 and humid that day.

I am still surprised that Creighton doesn't sell them in their games.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Royal's offering Moose a one year contract.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Royal's offering Moose a one year contract.
Moose is back for at least another year!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Will be cool to have Moose still with KC when they arrive in just over 2 weeks to play the Chasers.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
Moose and his agent really screwed up this offseason. Turned down a $17.4 million qualifying offer from KC a few months back only to sign a 1 year $6.5 million deal now.

As a general comment this offseason has been the weakest I can remember in baseball, a few big names still on the market with spring training underway.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Moose and his agent really screwed up this offseason. Turned down a $17.4 million qualifying offer from KC a few months back only to sign a 1 year $6.5 million deal now.

As a general comment this offseason has been the weakest I can remember in baseball, a few big names still on the market with spring training underway.

It's been a bad off season all around. I don't think anyone really got what they thought they were going to get. So many possible factors. The new CBA kicking in and teams trying to reset their cap penalty before next year's class, team's that aren't contending are kind of tanking, the Marlins going full rebuild making several good players available via trade, and teams using analytics on the worth of aging players and big contracts. Moose did seem to fare worse than most. Will be interesting to see how next year's blockbuster class of free agents does.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

It said in the paper today they just made a new rule in the minor leagues. When ever they go into extra innings the inning will start with a guy on 2nd base. I don't like the rule. I know they want to save time and shorten the game but wow.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I knew that this was under consideration but thought that this didn't have a chance to pass. Stupid rule. There are better ways to speed up the game without changing the integrity of the game.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I am not a huge fan either.

One change they made that I do like is the pitch clock. In MiLB you no longer have batters getting out of the batters box after every single pitch. I loved Billy Butler but for an example, he undid and then redid the velcro on his battling glovers multiple times at each at bat. No reason for this.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I hope they will limit visits to the mound.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:I knew that this was under consideration but thought that this didn't have a chance to pass. Stupid rule. There are better ways to speed up the game without changing the integrity of the game.
From a 2013 article
There's about 18 minutes of action in your average MLB game
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ther ... -mlb-game/

“By far the most time-consuming period of inaction is the "time between pitches." This took up an average of 1:14:49. That's not all that far from half the WSJ analysis's average game time of 2:58.”

Of course NFL games are only about 11 minutes of actual action.

“It's also worth keeping in mind that, according to a similar WSJ micro-study, the putatively action-packed NFL provides viewers with about 11 minutes of action per game”
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:I hope they will limit visits to the mound.

They did in MLB so I am assuming it's the same for MiLB:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/spor ... isits.html

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

First look at new Chasers merchandise for the season. Seems like with it being the 50th they are going all out:

https://www.milb.com/storm-chasers/news ... -268678438

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Too bad the weather was so terrible yesterday forcing the exhibition game to be cancelled. It was the right call though. Some of the anger and complaining on the chasers Facebook page is laughable though.