Nebraska Football since 2001

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Nebraska Football since 2001

Post by Busguy2010 »

I feel this is a good time to acknowledge the low points in our recent history (although I recognize we might be adding two more games to this list yet this year) so we can really appreciate where we've been and where we hopefully have nowhere to go but up.

I'll start with the 70-10 loss at Texas Tech.

Then there's 2007 76-39 loss to Kansas... KANSAS?

Fast-forward to 2010 and we are finally starting to look up. We're undefeated and highly ranked and we lose at home to un-ranked Texas... That whole 2010 year could have been magical for us, but typically filled with close WOW losses.

Riding off the general success of 2010, 2011 was off to a good start. Going into our first Big 10 game, we were undefeated and ranked #8. But we got spanked by Wisconsin 48-17 in our initiation. The next year it was Wisconsin 70-31 IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Embarrassing.

2013 was actually not bad.

2014, more of the same, lost to Wisconsin 59-24, Melvin Gordon sets NCAA rushing record against us.

2015 55-45 loss to PURDUE. Looking back to 2015, it hurts as a whole because we could have easily gone undefeated in the regular season, if not for the terrible game management by Riley.

2016 62-3 Ohio State, 40-10 Iowa

2017 21-17 Northern Illinois, 56-14 Ohio State, 54-24 Minnesota... This list is way too long. Make the bleeding stop!

So what was the loss that hurt most to you? My vote is for Wisconsin in the Championship game, because it was the championship game, we had finally beaten Wisconsin in the regular season, and we thought we were good. A true slap to the face.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by Coyote »

Colorado 2001 (62-36)
Wisconsin 2012 (70-31)
Wisconsin 2014 (59-24)
Texas Tech 2004 (70-10)
Kansas State 2003 (38-9)
Oklahoma State 2007 (45-14)
Illinois 2015 (14-13)
Wisconsin 2011 (48-17)
Penn State 2002 (40-7)
UCLA 2013 (41-21)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

We can add the humbling 2002 loss to Iowa St (36-14) to the list of NU embarrassments since 2001...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

And I'd like to add last year at Wisconsin was the first time in my Husker fandom that I've seen the Huskers compete in a game that had a lot of weight to it. Few huge wins for us. Off hand I can think of 2015 Michigan State, and 2010 Missouri. That's about it for me. I would love to see the Huskers back on top (the glory days happened before I was old enough to care).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:And I'd like to add last year at Wisconsin was the first time in my Husker fandom that I've seen the Huskers compete in a game that had a lot of weight to it. Few huge wins for us. Off hand I can think of 2015 Michigan State, and 2010 Missouri. That's about it for me. I would love to see the Huskers back on top (the glory days happened before I was old enough to care).
In 2011, NU did come from behind and defeat Ohio St in Lincoln. That was also a big time win...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska's Hail Mary win over Northwestern was their biggest moment of the 2013 season. I've often wondered how exciting it would be if they were still in the Big 12 at the time and did that to Oklahoma?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:And I'd like to add last year at Wisconsin was the first time in my Husker fandom that I've seen the Huskers compete in a game that had a lot of weight to it. Few huge wins for us. Off hand I can think of 2015 Michigan State, and 2010 Missouri. That's about it for me. I would love to see the Huskers back on top (the glory days happened before I was old enough to care).
In 2011, NU did come from behind and defeat Ohio St in Lincoln. That was also a big time win...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I remember that, it was a fun game to win, but I personally don't consider it a big win because Ohio State wasn't good that year and they lost Braxton Miller in that game.

2016, 2014, 2011, 2010 were all years where they had great opportunity to win the first big game, but we know they went down as losses each year.

I personally consider 2010 our best chance to really do something special. Had that let down loss to Texas, lost by only 3 to ranked Texas A&M and by 3 to #9 Oklahoma in the championship game
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Oh and dominating #11 Michigan State 24-3 in 2011 was actually a big game for us. It was an 11am game so it kind of hides from memory.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:Oh and dominating #11 Michigan State 24-3 in 2011 was actually a big game for us. It was an 11am game so it kind of hides from memory.
That’s a good call. Probably the most dominating defensive performance by NU during Pelini years. The 2009 win over Oklahoma is a close 2nd (and another big win for NU 10 to 3)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Nebraska's Hail Mary win over Northwestern was their biggest moment of the 2013 season. I've often wondered how exciting it would be if they were still in the Big 12 at the time and did that to Oklahoma?
That would have been quite the spectacle indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Nebraska's Hail Mary win over Northwestern was their biggest moment of the 2013 season. I've often wondered how exciting it would be if they were still in the Big 12 at the time and did that to Oklahoma?

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ron Kellogg and Jordan Westerkamp probably would've become household names not just in Nebraska, but nationwide. It would've been something people would talk about for years. I mean, Nebraska/Oklahoma–It doesn't get any better than that.

In reality, that rivalry was one of many reasons why college football is better than the NFL. Shame that it had to end :(

It's too bad we'll never get to see how players like Tommy Armstrong, Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Nate Gerry, Vincent Valentine, Byerson Cockrell and Randy Gregory would've done against our old Big 8/Big 12 rivals, like Oklahoma.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Anybody else want to discuss an all post 2001 team?

QB: Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz?
RB: Rex, Ameer, Roy?
WR: Niles Paul, Kenny Bell, Westerkamp?
TE: ?
OL: ?

DL: Suh and who else?
LB: Lavonte David and who else?
DB: Prince Amukamara, Jean-Baptiste and who else?
P: Sam Koch?
K: Alex Henery?

Who's in your mix?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:Oh and dominating #11 Michigan State 24-3 in 2011 was actually a big game for us. It was an 11am game so it kind of hides from memory.
That’s a good call. Probably the most dominating defensive performance by NU during Pelini years. The 2009 win over Oklahoma is a close 2nd (and another big win for NU 10 to 3)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That Oklahoma 10 to 3 game was the last time I remember Memorial Stadium actually being truly loud and an imposing place to play. That was an interesting game to be at with my dad.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That Oklahoma 10 to 3 game was the last time I remember Memorial Stadium actually being truly loud and an imposing place to play. That was an interesting game to be at with my dad.
I completely agree...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ron Kellogg and Jordan Westerkamp probably would've become household names not just in Nebraska, but nationwide. It would've been something people would talk about for years. I mean, Nebraska/Oklahoma–It doesn't get any better than that.

In reality, that rivalry was one of many reasons why college football is better than the NFL. Shame that it had to end :(

It's too bad we'll never get to see how players like Tommy Armstrong, Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Nate Gerry, Vincent Valentine, Byerson Cockrell and Randy Gregory would've done against our old Big 8/Big 12 rivals, like Oklahoma.
I’m with you on that mrsticka. NU vs OU was/is one of the greatest rivalries in college football history...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:Anybody else want to discuss an all post 2001 team?

QB: Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz?
RB: Rex, Ameer, Roy?
WR: Niles Paul, Kenny Bell, Westerkamp?
TE: ?
OL: ?

DL: Suh and who else?
LB: Lavonte David and who else?
DB: Prince Amukamara, Jean-Baptiste and who else?
P: Sam Koch?
K: Alex Henery?

Who's in your mix?
Gosh. I need to think on this one. I believe you’ve got a good start. I’d include Jamal Lord at QB and Maliek Collins at DL (Collins starts for the Dallas Cowboys and is playing atm a high level).. Maybe Randy Gregory at DE...

This is a good start. Anyone else want to chime in on a post 2001 best NU team?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nebraska Football since 2001

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska All Post 2001 Team

C: Jacob Hickman, Brett Byford, Josh Sewell
OG: Matt Slausen, Spencer Long, Alex Lewis, Ricky Henry
OT: Richie Incognito, Lyndon Murtha, Carl Nicks
TE: Matt Herian, Mike McNeill, Cethan Carter, Ben Cotton, Kyler Reed,
RB: Roy Helu, Ameer Abdullah, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Jackson, Cory Ross, Marlon Lucky
FB: Andy Janovich, Judd Davies, Dane Todd
WR: Nate Swift, Maurice Purify, Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, Niles Paul, Jordan Westercamp, Terrence Nunn, Todd Peterson
QB: Zac Taylor, Joey Ganz, Tommy Armstrong, Taylor Martinez, Jamaal Lord, Sam Keller

P: Sam Koch, Alex Henery, Sam Foltz, Kyle Larson, Brett Maher
K: Alex Henery, Brett Maher, Jordon Congdon, Drew Brown

DT: Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, Vincent Valentine, Le Kevin Smith, Maliek Collins
DE: Chris Kelsay, Randy Gregory, Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Pierre Allen, Eric Martin, Cameron Meredith, Barry Turner, Zack Potter
LB: Barrett Ruud, Phillip Dillard, Scott Shanle, Stewart Bradly, Lavonte David, Demorrio Williams, Steve Octavien, Phillip Dillard, Zaire Anderson, Will Compton, Bo Ruud
DB: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Prince Amukamara, Dejon Gomes, Dejuan Groce, Eric Haag
CB: Keyou Craver, Fabian Washington, Zach Bowman, Alfonzo Dennard, Cortney Grixby
S: Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Larry Asante, Nathan Gerry
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska All Post 2001 Team

C: Jacob Hickman, Brett Byford, Josh Sewell
OG: Matt Slausen, Spencer Long, Alex Lewis, Ricky Henry
OT: Richie Incognito, Lyndon Murtha, Carl Nicks
TE: Matt Herian, Mike McNeill, Cethan Carter, Ben Cotton, Kyler Reed,
RB: Roy Helu, Ameer Abdullah, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Jackson, Cory Ross, Marlon Lucky
FB: Andy Janovich, Judd Davies, Dane Todd
WR: Nate Swift, Maurice Purify, Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, Niles Paul, Jordan Westercamp, Terrence Nunn, Todd Peterson
QB: Zac Taylor, Joey Ganz, Tommy Armstrong, Taylor Martinez, Jamaal Lord, Sam Keller

P: Sam Koch, Alex Henery, Sam Foltz, Kyle Larson, Brett Maher
K: Alex Henery, Brett Maher, Jordon Congdon, Drew Brown

DT: Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, Vincent Valentine, Le Kevin Smith, Maliek Collins
DE: Chris Kelsay, Randy Gregory, Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Pierre Allen, Eric Martin, Cameron Meredith, Barry Turner, Zack Potter
LB: Barrett Ruud, Phillip Dillard, Scott Shanle, Stewart Bradly, Lavonte David, Demorrio Williams, Steve Octavien, Phillip Dillard, Zaire Anderson, Will Compton, Bo Ruud
DB: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Prince Amukamara, Dejon Gomes, Dejuan Groce, Eric Haag
CB: Keyou Craver, Fabian Washington, Zach Bowman, Alfonzo Dennard, Cortney Grixby
S: Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Larry Asante, Nathan Gerry
No David Horne at RB Mark? :;): ..

Of course I’m kidding. Fantastic listing. I believe we have here, the All NU football team roster 2001-2017 :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Dang, I was just talking starting lineup, but you went and did the whole roster! :thumb:

That's a complete list to look through, I'll post my starting lineup some time
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Ill make it simple. The program went to |expletive| when they fired Solich. Had they stuck with him, they would still be a powerhouse.
Jim Flowers rules!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I know the Patriots are unpopular with most people, but did anybody else feel proud of Rex Burkhead finally showing his worth to the nation tonight? He was the main man in the backfield tonight, he caught some big passes, caught a touchdown pass, blocked a punt! Being both a Patriots and Husker fan I was gleaming! Finally he got the recognition we all knew he deserved and I feel no there's no better team to utilize his talent. His play tonight was reminiscent of what he did at Nebraska! And the Patriots totally have a thing for Huskers and I'm glad for it :D
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I’m with you on that mrsticka. NU vs OU was/is one of the greatest rivalries in college football history...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Can you imagine what it would be like in Lincoln that night if that actually happened for real? It’d be pretty busy in the Haymarket, I know that. Bars would be PACKED. The whole state of Nebraska would be in nonstop party mode all night long. As for Memorial Stadium, I don’t think anybody would want to leave.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

mrsticka wrote: Can you imagine what it would be like in Lincoln that night if that actually happened for real? It’d be pretty busy in the Haymarket, I know that. Bars would be PACKED. The whole state of Nebraska would be in nonstop party mode all night long. As for Memorial Stadium, I don’t think anybody would want to leave.
Well now ain't that nice! Time to put down that glass of Koolaide and get back to reality......

Mike Riley is now number #1 on the hot seat list- http://coacheshotseat.com/
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Can you imagine what it would be like in Lincoln that night if that actually happened for real? It’d be pretty busy in the Haymarket, I know that. Bars would be PACKED. The whole state of Nebraska would be in nonstop party mode all night long. As for Memorial Stadium, I don’t think anybody would want to leave.
No question about that :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
And the week after that, Nebraska closes the season with Colorado, comes from behind and wins in the same manner they did against Michigan in reality. A forward pass from Tommy Armstrong to Ameer Abdullah who dives into the end zone for a touchdown. With the win, Nebraska locks up the Big 12 North Division and goes to the Big 12 Championship Game to play either Oklahoma State or Texas A&M.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
And the week after that, Nebraska closes the season with Colorado, comes from behind and wins in the same manner they did against Michigan in reality. A forward pass from Tommy Armstrong to Ameer Abdullah who dives into the end zone for a touchdown. With the win, Nebraska locks up the Big 12 North Division and goes to the Big 12 Championship Game to play either Oklahoma State or Texas A&M.
Sounds like a time and game the 1990’s level Huskers played in somewhat frequently..and many more times than not, always won...

Ciao.LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sounds like a time and game the 1990’s level Huskers played in somewhat frequently..and many more times than not, always won...

Ciao.LiO...Peace
If only.

Another thing that would be different is Frank Solich would never have been fired as Nebraska head coach in 2003. He'd still be here today. As for Bill Callahan, he'd become the head coach at Colorado instead. He, of course, uses his West Coast-style offense there. It's a system that in reality, Colorado had been using for years, so they players didn't have to do much adjusting, if any at all.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.LiO...Peace
If only.

Another thing that would be different is Frank Solich would never have been fired as Nebraska head coach in 2003. He'd still be here today. As for Bill Callahan, he'd become the head coach at Colorado instead. He, of course, uses his West Coast-style offense there. It's a system that in reality, Colorado had been using for years, so they players didn't have to do much adjusting, if any at all.
NU football has now fallen to the lowest depth in our lifetimes. It’s a shame that I’m hoping this Saturday, NU can hold Penn St to “just” 50 points when they lay the wood this weekend. Penn St may score 50 by halftime :( ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.LiO...Peace
If only.

NU football has now fallen to the lowest depth in our lifetimes. It’s a shame that I’m hoping this Saturday, NU can hold Penn St to “just” 50 points when they lay the wood this weekend. Penn St may score 50 by halftime :( ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Indeed. There ain't gonna be no bowl game this year. :(
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I watched Solich's Ohio Bobcats at Smitty's Garage last week (when did they start playing Wednesday college football?)... looked really good. Earlier this year, they beat Purdue by 3 touchdown's. Go figure.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Stargazer wrote:I watched Solich's Ohio Bobcats at Smitty's Garage last week (when did they start playing Wednesday college football?)... looked really good. Earlier this year, they beat Purdue by 3 touchdown's. Go figure.
That game was played back in September. You must've been watching a rerun.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:
Stargazer wrote:I watched Solich's Ohio Bobcats at Smitty's Garage last week (when did they start playing Wednesday college football?)... looked really good. Earlier this year, they beat Purdue by 3 touchdown's. Go figure.
Ohio Bobcats were were looking really good last week.

They beat Purdue by 3 touchdowns earlier this year. They probably could beat Nebraska comfortably.

Wednesday games seem odd to me too, but I've seen them occasionally for around a year. They may have been happening for much longer than that but I don't know.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Football is cyclical. I'll have to look it up, but someone posted a list of the top 5 AP teams in like 1995 with their 2017 records, and it wasn't pretty.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Ohio Bobcats were were looking really good last week.

They beat Purdue by 3 touchdowns earlier this year. They probably could beat Nebraska comfortably.

Wednesday games seem odd to me too, but I've seen them occasionally for around a year. They may have been happening for much longer than that but I don't know.
Fridays are for High School Football, Saturdays are for College and Sundays are for the NFL. That's how it should be.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Where is former Husker QB Zac Taylor now? Well I'm glad you asked. As of today he is now the QB coach for the LA Rams...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Where is former Husker QB Zac Taylor now? Well I'm glad you asked. As of today he is now the QB coach for the LA Rams...
I did not know that Taylor is married to Sarah Sherman, the daughter of former Packers HC Mike Sherman. Expect him to be a HC somewhere soon...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm Where is former Husker QB Zac Taylor now? Well I'm glad you asked. As of today he is now the QB coach for the LA Rams...
Well, I'm glad you asked. Looks like he is in line to be the New Head Coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Zac Taylor emerges as favorite for Bengals job

https://apple.news/AZGb4c42LQqOZkDKUMrzFaA
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zac Taylor could be first former Husker player named NFL head coach since the NFL-AFL merger
OWH wrote:Former All-Americans Guy Chamberlin and Ray Richards coached the NFL’s Cardinals. Chamberlain lettered at NU in 1914 and 1915 while Richards lettered from 1927 to 1929.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Burkhead scored his first Post Season TD today.